Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-01-06 6:55 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by marcag  No Marc, you are wrong. This is the watch you want http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/garmin-fenix3-firstlook.html

Yeah, that one really caught my eye too.  I just don't like the price.  

2015-01-06 7:12 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by marcag before you go out and buy a 920xt, check out the Garmin VivoActive

DOUBLE ARGH! 

No.  More.  Toys! 

I got the 920xt from Santa (lucky guy), so I'm actually all set.  So far (knock wood), I love it.

Matt

ETA:  I do kind of wonder, having read only the digest version of the VivoActive, why the heck I have a 920.  What doesn't the Vivo do that the 920 does to justify the significant price differential.  I'm sure that's obvious to someone more in the know, but I kinda wonder why Garmin would release that just after the 920 and potentially people off (?).  What am I missing?

I was thinking the same thing.  Battery life is maxed at 10 hours for GPS use, but unless you're doing IM, that shouldn't be an issue for most people.  DC Rainmaker did an initial review today, and it seems that the VivoActive lacks some of the in depth training metrics that the 920 has...but that doesn't mean they won't be available in the future.  For example power.  Seems like the VivoActive has ANT+ capability, but out of the box won't read ANT+ power meters.

Still though, as someone who will always have a dedicated bike computer, the main things I would look for in a watch is good GPS connection while running, ability to swim with it, and bluetooth uploads.  The fact that this watch can do all of that, along with some other cool smart watch features...at a price lower than both the 920 and the 910...makes it very intriguing.  It's a good thing I don't run or swim much anymore.

Agreed, it's certainly intriguing.  I'll be keeping an eye on it after it's out and people have had a chance to use it for a while.

I just got my 910xt replacement back from Garmin. I think I'm on my 4th. The altimeter is a known weakness. My latest theory is that because I wear it for 2 workouts per day and I am a pretty good sweater, the salt, chlorine....clogs it up.I was going to sell it and look at the 920I may try the Vivoactive for day to day workouts and keep the 910 for racing. Both options would cost me about the same thing.I tried the 920 on, and for me, is not ideal for day to day use as a regular watch. But I love it's feature set.The Polar, while nicer looking, really dropped the ball with power meter support. I am very glad I didn't buy that one. With Connect IQ, this vivoactive could become a very cool watch.
No Marc, you are wrong. This is the watch you wanthttp://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/garmin-fenix3-firstlook.html

Well, that certainly looks like Garmin is going in the right direction with regards to form factor. But am I the only one that is not enamored with the the all-in-one, wrist-worn data recorders? They are still all way too big and bulky for me. I got off the bus with my 310 and went back to single sport devices and thus far it is working for my needs, which admittedly are kind of minimal.

2015-01-06 7:55 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by BrotherTri Chris love your new avatar. Looks like your running in some cold weather in Fl. What is it in the mid 60's?

I'll have you know that was the coldest day I ran last year, 47* at sunrise.  Brutal I tell you

2015-01-06 8:03 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by TankBoy

Welcome back Chris - you don't ever have to post much, so long as you keep that Strava love coming!

Watching everyone on Strava is one of the tools that pushes me. There are some folks that can flat out move! 

2015-01-06 12:07 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Welcome back to the new SBR "U" Nicole and Kim and good to see everyone back as well.

2015-01-06 12:19 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ok I broken open my piggy bank a bought this......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251782944389?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&s...

If the link didn't work it is a 2014 Powertap G3 Power Tap. So I am official going power. Should get it in a week then to the friend to build and hopeful by the end of the month start posting some pitiful results. Now all I need to do find someone or place to help me figure it out how to use it. Any ideas on some good support?

2015-01-06 12:45 PM

User image

Well, that certainly looks like Garmin is going in the right direction with regards to form factor. But am I the only one that is not enamored with the the all-in-one, wrist-worn data recorders? They are still all way too big and bulky for me. I got off the bus with my 310 and went back to single sport devices and thus far it is working for my needs, which admittedly are kind of minimal.

I still like the VivoActive better due to it's smaller size.  Like you, I don't see the need for an all in one record everything watch.  I just want it to do specific things, and do it well.  I  would consider getting it just so I can do upload run and swim workouts via bluetooth, use it as a golf GPS, and also as a smart watch to see missed calls or texts while I'm riding.  I really thought this watch would be closer to $400.  The standard Garmin golf watches start at $150 for the cheapest, and most are in the $250 range...and that's all they do.  Same for Garmin running watches.

If DC Rainmaker does a full review (with no major flaws) and offers his normal 10% off...I'm probably going to get it.

2015-01-06 12:51 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri Now all I need to do find someone or place to help me figure it out how to use it. Any ideas on some good support?

The books by Skiba and Coggan/Allen are a good start.  

And then of course if you have time, you could skim through this thread from last year which includes discussion and workouts.

Have you decided which software or website you're going to use for data uploads and tracking yet?  Golden Cheetah is a free download and seems to work well for most people.  

Of course, you could just fire away at this thread.  

2015-01-06 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by BrotherTri Now all I need to do find someone or place to help me figure it out how to use it. Any ideas on some good support?

And then of course if you have time, you could skim through this thread from last year which includes discussion and workouts.

Have you decided which software or website you're going to use for data uploads and tracking yet?  Golden Cheetah is a free download and seems to work well for most people.  

I am going to write a summary document of the thread

But the workouts are all there and you can execute them on your computrainer in auto pilot (erg mode).
2015-01-06 2:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Saw that moon on my morning run yesterday, setting into the pacific as the sunrise lit the ocean and sky pink.   Lots of folks taking pics of it, I didn't have a camera but a friend (with a much better backyard view than mine) shared this on FB.  Taken 6:30 am ish.  Doesn't begin to do it justice.

Edited by ChrisM 2015-01-06 2:29 PM
2015-01-06 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

I am going to write a summary document of the thread

But the workouts are all there and you can execute them on your computrainer in auto pilot (erg mode).

that would be great, Marc!
I will certainly be printing that, even though I have most of it printed out already-piecemeal

the power mentor thread was one of the two best threads ever, for me personally-with the other being the IMLP thread of 2012-most posts ever and where I 'met' Rusty, even though I missed everyone at the BT meet up...

2015-01-06 2:39 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

I am going to write a summary document of the threadBut the workouts are all there and you can execute them on your computrainer in auto pilot (erg mode).

FYI, the power group workouts from the thread are also loaded into the Trainer Road library. Don't remember who did that, maybe Jay. I use TR when I'm in a hurry and then drop the file into GC when I have more time.

2015-01-06 4:10 PM

Master
, California

I still like the VivoActive better due to it's smaller size.  Like you, I don't see the need for an all in one record everything watch.  I just want it to do specific things, and do it well.  I  would consider getting it just so I can do upload run and swim workouts via bluetooth, use it as a golf GPS, and also as a smart watch to see missed calls or texts while I'm riding.  I really thought this watch would be closer to $400.  The standard Garmin golf watches start at $150 for the cheapest, and most are in the $250 range...and that's all they do.  Same for Garmin running watches.

If DC Rainmaker does a full review (with no major flaws) and offers his normal 10% off...I'm probably going to get it.

I don't know the full specs on the VivoActive, but nothing on their website mentioned ANT+ or power for that watch.  So that's a big minus for me.  And I like the quick release kit for their xt watches so I can stick it on my bike.

2015-01-06 4:17 PM
in reply to: spudone

Master
, California

Ever have the urge to bring a 2.4ghz wifi jammer to a race and watch the looks of panic in T1?

Maybe it's just me

2015-01-06 4:32 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by spudone

I don't know the full specs on the VivoActive, but nothing on their website mentioned ANT+ or power for that watch.  So that's a big minus for me.  And I like the quick release kit for their xt watches so I can stick it on my bike.

DCR confirmed it has ant+ and power needs to be provided by a Connect IQ app which is very likely
2015-01-06 4:39 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

Ever have the urge to bring a 2.4ghz wifi jammer to a race and watch the looks of panic in T1?

Maybe it's just me

LOL, I would imagine the group of people who have those urges is pretty small.    I totally get the entertainment value though.

re: no Ant+ power on that Garmin, DC Rainmaker said that while it didn't do it, someone could likely add it with Connect IQ fairly easily.  

Edit: or what Marc said.  

Edited by axteraa 2015-01-06 4:40 PM

2015-01-06 5:03 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by dtoce that would be great, Marc! I will certainly be printing that, even though I have most of it printed out already-piecemeal the power mentor thread was one of the two best threads ever, for me personally-with the other being the IMLP thread of 2012-most posts ever and where I 'met' Rusty, even though I missed everyone at the BT meet up...

Oh, Man Dale - those IMLP threads were epic! That is how I got my first introduction to BT, BTW. I had seen Beginner Triathlete pop up in various google searches about triathlon related stuff over the years and always passed by the site as (due to the name and content that was generally displayed on the home page) I didn't think it really had anything to offer to me. Then I signed up for 2011 IMLP on a whim - I heard a couple of days before the 2010 are that there was a slight chance that there might be online registration. Turned out the rumors were correct (for about 10 minutes) and snagged a spot. I immediately started scouring the web for information about the race (I really didn't know anything about it) and stumbled upon the EPIC 2010 IMLP thread and commenced to read it beginning to end over the period of maybe a week. That thread is an absolute goldmine of information for anyone racing LP, and I got introduced to a variety of BT characters including FredD (PennState at the time) KathyG, Dream Chaser, and some funny dude named Tasr (anybody know what happened to him?) amongst many others. That thread tapped out at 193 pages. I read it like a suspense novel - the race had already passed the weekend before, but I never jumped to the end to see how everyone finished out (FYI, it had a few bombshells). It really is an amazing read through the year in the lives of a bunch of folks that start out not knowing each other at all but through their shared pursuit of training for and racing Ironman Lake Placid you really get the sense of the ups, downs, successes and pitfall of ironman training. That thread was my Ironman Bible and the benchmark for what I thought BT was all about. I am pretty sure my very first post on BT was to start the 2011 IMLP thread, and I was terrified that I might be breaching some sort of protocol in starting it and shutting down the previous year's group. The 2011 group was great, and Dale is right - the 2012 thread (148 pages!) was one for the books as well.

So all that is to say (and I think really just echoing Dale) it really is remarkable the amount of knowledge and depth of relationships that exist in these little hidden away pockets of Beginner Triathlete.

2015-01-06 5:11 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

First day back at the track since early September. Nothing crazy hard, just 2x400/2x800/2x1200 at 5:35/6:00/6:05 paces. My ability to hit defined paces is a little off, but other than that it went pretty well.

2015-01-06 9:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy and some funny dude named Tasr (anybody know what happened to him?)

I don't know. That guy was awesome.

2015-01-06 9:22 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dtoce
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Jeez, spend the afternoon actually working and a new SBR U thread pops up, goes a couple pages, geeks out, and the girls' whereabouts are questioned.  I'm here!!  And I don't mind the geek stuff....I like it!

I'm Nicole and got into the triathlon scene in 2012.  I had an injury that kept me from really training or racing for a year (just kept me from running, but that's kind of a big component!), so 2014 was my first full year.  I did three tough HIM races (St. George, Buffalo Springs, Mont Tremblant) and learned a lot from them that I hope to put to good use this year.

I didn't come from an endurance sport background (former gymnast), so all three sports are new to me.  I tend to be in the top 10-15% of the swim and bike, but solidly MOP on the run, so I've been focusing on my run this winter.  It has not come easily or naturally to me, but I know it's a work in progress, so I'm trying to be patient and enjoy the journey.

Went on a "cold" run tonight -- I guess it was probably 45F or so.  I wasn't really feeling it for whatever reason (first time in a few weeks that I wasn't, but convinced myself to go out because it's supposed to rain all weekend and I'm not sure I can handle three days of treadmill runs!), but as I was coming back toward the house, the moon was just rising.  Not sure if anyone else saw it tonight, but as it was still low in the sky, it was bright orange and huge.  All I was thinking to myself is, "How lucky am I to get to see this?!?!"  And even though I was cold and running at a slow pace, it made it totally worth it  

nice job getting out there and seeing the January 'Wolf' full moon. I saw it tonight and knew it was in full effect as our hospital was B-U-S-Y today... even though it was very alluring and mesmerizing up there in the sky ...but...45 degrees is not really cold to us here in NE...I ran yesterday in the 19 degree weather with 3 layers on and even that wasn't really 'cold'. (Of course to Jason, it was certainly frostbite weather-ha!) No whining unless it's a negative number of degrees! (JK- ) Keep up the good, consistent work with the running-it will pay huge dividends later on.

Might not see 19 for a span of a week here. And one of these days is forecasted to have a swing near 30 degrees. Would still be running most of the time, but keeping it easy and inside with a mild calf strain.

2015-01-06 9:24 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by ChrisM  I tend to wear (hide) my weight well

I know I am a little pudgy when people start saying "you look good," rather than "dude, eat a burger or something...."

i have seen you before, during and after a race. You do not look like a heavy guy. Not at all. It's hard to believe you were over 180 at Silverman.

Yeah, I actually just looked up my silverman weight and I was about 195

Which is strange to me, as in my head I am HUGE!  

Similar on the hiding part here. A lot of people don't believe I weigh what I do, even in race gear. Or don't really understand what it is.

2015-01-07 7:46 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Comment then Question: At masters this morning during a 20x100 set I was goofing around with working on my off-side and bilateral breathing since I am currently elbow-regulated to nothing harder than T-pace. I was reminded by the pace clock that I can obviously maintain the same pace when bilateral breathing (every 3 strokes) as I can at a slightly harder pace when breathing to one side every stroke cycle. At T-pace and faster I always switch to breathing every cycle (mostly to the left out of habit and preference, but do on occasion switch to the right for several strokes for relief and variety). When breathing to my off-side I do have to concentrate fairly hard to make sure I do not lift my head a little when breathing, so that could definitely use some work. So the question (I think) is right now while I can keep my volume up (12k ~ 13k yards per week) but am swimming mostly fairly easy would it do me some good to work on my bilateral and off-side breathing to get more comfortable when swimming this way at a harder effort (like I said, it seems to be more efficient, I just can't swim as fast bilaterally) or is this simply just a "thing" but not worth working on?
2015-01-07 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

First day back at the track since early September. Nothing crazy hard, just 2x400/2x800/2x1200 at 5:35/6:00/6:05 paces. My ability to hit defined paces is a little off, but other than that it went pretty well.

Great!  I really miss the track (always like those workouts). 

You're still moving right along!  Hitting targets is one thing, being able to (which looks like you are) is another. 

Matt

2015-01-07 8:53 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

My take on bilateral breathing is that it's a good skill to have, mostly so that you have the option of doing either if a situation makes one or the other a better choice.  Typically this would be in open water where you might have waves/chop or bright sun to deal with on one side.  

Given that you are limiting your effort level somewhat, this seems like a good time to practice it some as it shouldn't interfere with your pace or effort level too much.  

Personally I tend to bilateral breathe because it's so habitual due to my coaches pounding it into our heads over and over as kids.  However, once things start getting difficult, I switch to primarily my right side with the odd left thrown in.

2015-01-07 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TankBoy Comment then Question: At masters this morning during a 20x100 set I was goofing around with working on my off-side and bilateral breathing since I am currently elbow-regulated to nothing harder than T-pace. I was reminded by the pace clock that I can obviously maintain the same pace when bilateral breathing (every 3 strokes) as I can at a slightly harder pace when breathing to one side every stroke cycle. At T-pace and faster I always switch to breathing every cycle (mostly to the left out of habit and preference, but do on occasion switch to the right for several strokes for relief and variety). When breathing to my off-side I do have to concentrate fairly hard to make sure I do not lift my head a little when breathing, so that could definitely use some work. So the question (I think) is right now while I can keep my volume up (12k ~ 13k yards per week) but am swimming mostly fairly easy would it do me some good to work on my bilateral and off-side breathing to get more comfortable when swimming this way at a harder effort (like I said, it seems to be more efficient, I just can't swim as fast bilaterally) or is this simply just a "thing" but not worth working on?

I can't comment on one's speed while breathing one way or another in the pool.  However (which means I'll obviously comment on something here!), **I** have found being able to breathe on either side very valuable in OWS.  I've spent many years swimming in the ocean (although only "fast" over the last couple - the previous years were just about getting someplace in the ocean, not racing) and have needed to be able to breathe exclusively on one side or the other to avoid waves while indulging my life-long addiction to oxygen.

In the past couple years, when "fast" (I use quotes here, as it's obviously only fast relative to my previous pace) mattered in races, being comfortable breathing to either side has been an unexpected but considerable boon.  Sometimes for wave avoidance; sometimes for sun avoidance; sometimes to be able to keep track of where a nice drafting hip is.

I suppose there are benefits to one's form if you're able to breathe with equal comfort to either side, but that's just supposition...  I think there are definite benefits in tactical racing, if that matters to you.

Matt

ETA: Or what Arend just said! 

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2015-01-07 8:55 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).