General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blew off training plan for my first HM. Race is 2 weeks away. What now? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-08-02 3:43 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Subject: Blew off training plan for my first HM. Race is 2 weeks away. What now?
I won't bore you with the excuses...some are valid some are just plain old excuses. But here I am. 2 weeks out from a 13.1 mile HM that I've already paid for. It will be my first Half Marathon.

longest races I've run so far have been a whole bunch of sprint tris, 5ks and a couple of 10ks. I typically hold a 9:30 ish pace in the 10ks coming in right around an hour give or take 1 minute.

I'm basically still in shape from triathlon season and I do masters swimming 3-4 days per week.

But my HM training plan had a goal pace of 9:05 with 4 runs planned per week. I've missed a little more than half of those runs. mostly the long ones. EEK!

I've still been running at least 30-40 mins about 2x per week.

Today I decided to "see what I could do" and was able to complete 6.76 miles in 71 minutes. (pace 10:37). My goal was distance, and that is now my new farthest distance I have ever run.

so....I know I've screwed up, but I"m not backing out and the run is exactly 2 sundays from now (14 days). How should I best use the time I have left? I presume I should taper for at least 1 week, with 2-3 days of no running prior to the race. any other suggestions?

Edited by themissj1981 2015-08-02 3:45 PM

2015-08-02 4:10 PM
in reply to: themissj1981

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Blew off training plan for my first HM. Race is 2 weeks away. What now?

I'm going to be blunt.

You were following a minimalist plan, then did less than half of that.  That's a recipe for suffering at best, and injury at worst.  And LOTS of walking.

You don't need a week of taper.  You haven't trained, so there isn't any fatigue accumulated to warrant it.

My suggestion is a DNS, and selecting another HM in a few months.  Go volunteer for the race in 2 weeks.  Hopefully it will inspire you to train for the next one.

If you are dead set on doing this race...All you can do is damage control.  You can't gain much fitness in 2 weeks, but you can gain some.  Forget about the long run.  Run 20 minutes at an easy effort every day for the next 10 days.  Take the 4th day before the race as a complete rest day.  The 3rd day before, run for 20 minutes.  The 2nd day before, complete rest.  The last day before, run 15 minutes.  On Race day, Use a run/walk interval strategy.  Run easy for 2 minutes, walk for 2 minutes.  You'll be sore, and tired, but hopefully you won't get hurt.

Again, if I were you, or you were my athlete, DNS would be the call.

2015-08-02 4:23 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Blew off training plan for my first HM. Race is 2 weeks away. What now?
Agree with Don - plus, you run 10k's at around 9:50/mile and your plan called for 9:05 as a goal half marathon pace? Did that not cause any concern?

Shane
2015-08-02 4:36 PM
in reply to: #5132574

Is this a large event? If it is there may be a lot of people walking it in which case you could do that. But I am with the others though in that trying to run it is a lost cause. Find a race at the beginning of next calendar year and start training today. I would run six days a week and focus on total volume and don't concern yourself with speed work or any one individual workout. Take your current volume, spread it over six days and slowly increase your mileage rveryweek. You need a big base and your triathlon training for sprints likely didn't give you that
2015-08-02 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
I'll be blunt too. That race is a goner, especially with the goal pace you posted. I agree with Don's training suggestions too.

If you really wanna participate, I think you should be smart about it and go with a Jeff Galloway run/walk ratio very conservative effort and make it to the finish line uninjured.

After that race, sign up for another HM and train properly for that and make it count!

=^.^=
Roland
2015-08-02 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I'd say drop ANY goals on this race. Plan on a run and walk-through-aid-station plan (assuming they have aid stations pretty much every mile.

You can do a 10k, as you know, but spread that out using the run/walk plan so you can finish.

Another idea is to run the first 10k, and walk the second 10k.

2015-08-02 5:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Bronze member

Never mind

Edited by trigal38 2015-08-02 5:25 PM
2015-08-02 6:11 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Regular
Oregon
thanks everyone. yes. I knew I screwed up. I'm not going to skip it because I'm doing the race with a group of friends, one girl is coming in from out of town and staying with me.

So I will do as suggested and implement a damage control strategy.

The time cut off for this race is 5 hours and it says "walkers are welcome" on their website. I've already given up any goals besides finishing. I was kind of still hoping to complete the race without walking...I was thinking of maybe just trying to stick to an easy jogging pace of like 11:00 for the whole race. But it sounds like even that might be too risky.
2015-08-02 6:16 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Agree with Don - plus, you run 10k's at around 9:50/mile and your plan called for 9:05 as a goal half marathon pace? Did that not cause any concern?

Shane

yes, that did concern me actually. I used an app and I plugged in some of my recent run times and this was it's recommendation. So I thought "OK, I guess that should be fine. I've still got 18 weeks". In hindsight....wasn't a good plan.
2015-08-02 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by themissj1981

Shane

yes, that did concern me actually. I used an app and I plugged in some of my recent run times and this was it's recommendation. So I thought "OK, I guess that should be fine. I've still got 18 weeks". In hindsight....wasn't a good plan.

In the future, stick with plans that are based off your current fitness not what you would like to run. So, for example, if I go to Jack Daniels's VDot tables, you get a 32 and the following paces based on a 60:00 10km:

Easy - 12:04/mile (most of your running)
Marathon - 10:29/mile (very little if any of your half marathon prep)
Threshold - 9:47/mile (just a bit faster than what you would likely target for the race - after easy running, this would be the pace you likely run the most in training)
Interval - 2:14/400m (likely used a little in a good plan)

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2015-08-02 6:24 PM
2015-08-02 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would think of it as just an opportunity to get in a long jog/walk and, since you paid for it (even if you didn't train for it) enjoy the benefits of traffic control and aid stations for your workout. Since you have decent general fitness from tri training, with plenty of walking and good hydration there is no reason you shouldn't be able to finish.

2015-08-03 8:53 AM

User image

I'm going to be controversial on this one and say that you SHOULD do it.

There will be some walk/run in there but there a ton a walkers at most half's. For some people to say to DNS seems a little excessive. I came to TRI from being a runner so I've ran a ton of races that I probably could have trained harder for. Your first half marathon should have the goal of "just finish", 13.1 isn't that far I did a 15k(9.3 miles) 1 month into running, which was stupid because of possible injury(ended up being fine). I did a walk run and averaged 11 minute mile, it wasn't the fastest but I was just happy to finish. YOU CAN DO IT!

I don't remember who exactly it was (maybe Hal Higdon) but he preaches run/walk for injury prevention and his times were pretty decent. If done right walk/run can get a better time than straight run.

Whatever your usual long run is for the week..... aim to run that before walking. Then anything above that you can play it by ear. walk if you need or run if you need. You only fail if you don't try.

Edited by amalgamate 2015-08-03 8:55 AM
2015-08-03 9:17 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amalgamate I'm going to be controversial on this one and say that you SHOULD do it. There will be some walk/run in there but there a ton a walkers at most half's. For some people to say to DNS seems a little excessive. I came to TRI from being a runner so I've ran a ton of races that I probably could have trained harder for. Your first half marathon should have the goal of "just finish", 13.1 isn't that far I did a 15k(9.3 miles) 1 month into running, which was stupid because of possible injury(ended up being fine). I did a walk run and averaged 11 minute mile, it wasn't the fastest but I was just happy to finish. YOU CAN DO IT! I don't remember who exactly it was (maybe Hal Higdon) but he preaches run/walk for injury prevention and his times were pretty decent. If done right walk/run can get you through when nursing an injury, you screwed up your pacing, or you're undertrained. get a better time than straight run. Whatever your usual long run is for the week..... aim to run that before walking. Then anything above that you can play it by ear. walk if you need or run if you need. You only fail if you don't try.

Fixed that for you.  

Being able to do something does not make it a wise decision to do so.

ETA:  I've personally seen people who did that one long or hard run too many that pushed them over the edge to injury.  It's a bad idea for the OP to attempt to run this race.

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-08-03 9:20 AM
2015-08-03 9:20 AM
in reply to: amalgamate

User image

Denver, Colorado
I will second that. It will be hard as you have not reach the distance in your training and have not train as much as you should have, but at the same time - you train some and your body may be capable of doing it.

I would still go for various reasons: you will see how the race look like. You will experience something new. You will have fun. If your longest distance was 5K I would be concerned, but it seems like you have done more than that. Just don't focus on your pace, don't think about finish time, just maintain steady pace, walk if you need to, drink tons of water, make sure you have a right socks in case of blisters.

My brother did not train at all and made it in 2 hours, but my brother is just crazy... So it's not a good example But my best friend, who runs a lot, completed her half-m training up to 7th mile and said: "don't do HM if you have not reach 10th mile". She finished and was happy about it, but at the same time she admitted it was hard, a little miserable, and painful (she got blisters).

As for the training - I agree to just keep running, but not overtraining. It's too late. Make sure you don't injure yourself.
But go there and have fun if you don't go - you will regret even more
And definitely let us know how it went!

Mary
2015-08-03 9:25 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
As for running and walking - it does not always "screw up" you pace. All my races last year I did with running for 10 or 15 minutes and then 1 minute walk and I had better times than running only. I know every body is different, but for me that minute of recovery time gave a lot of energy and speed.
2015-08-03 9:43 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83 As for running and walking - it does not always "screw up" you pace. All my races last year I did with running for 10 or 15 minutes and then 1 minute walk and I had better times than running only. I know every body is different, but for me that minute of recovery time gave a lot of energy and speed.

I didn't say it screws up your pace.  I said it was a valid strategy if you screw up your pacing early in the race, and blow up.  It's a way to salvage what's left of your race.

And, it's not faster than a steady run pace if you're adequately conditioned and uninjured.  It's a strategy that has it's place, but I've seen too many people stick to it when it's not the best tool for the job.  Sure, you can drive screws with a hammer, but a screwdriver works better.

2015-08-03 9:47 AM

User image

Champion

thanks everyone. yes. I knew I screwed up. I'm not going to skip it because I'm doing the race with a group of friends, one girl is coming in from out of town and staying with me.

So I will do as suggested and implement a damage control strategy.

The time cut off for this race is 5 hours and it says "walkers are welcome" on their website. I've already given up any goals besides finishing. I was kind of still hoping to complete the race without walking...I was thinking of maybe just trying to stick to an easy jogging pace of like 11:00 for the whole race. But it sounds like even that might be too risky.

Well, the good news for you is that, like usually happens with forums, you'll have someone give you the advice you're looking for so you've had people confirm that you should race because otherwise you'll regret it. Since that's what you were going to do anyway, you're all set.

I would however suggest that if you're going to run (a bad idea) that you go very conservatively. All running at an easy pace and a run:walk ratio that appears to have too much walking (like 2:30-2:30 or something like that) and then if you happen to get to the 10 mile mark feeling great, run it in.

Shane
2015-08-03 10:02 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by marysia83 As for running and walking - it does not always "screw up" you pace. All my races last year I did with running for 10 or 15 minutes and then 1 minute walk and I had better times than running only. I know every body is different, but for me that minute of recovery time gave a lot of energy and speed.

I didn't say it screws up your pace.  I said it was a valid strategy if you screw up your pacing early in the race, and blow up.  It's a way to salvage what's left of your race.

And, it's not faster than a steady run pace if you're adequately conditioned and uninjured.  It's a strategy that has it's place, but I've seen too many people stick to it when it's not the best tool for the job.  Sure, you can drive screws with a hammer, but a screwdriver works better.

I was no referring to your post - I'm sorry if it sounded that way; it was not my intention. I referred to people who do not realize there are benefits from running/walking. And I was one of them when I started running - until I was passed by folks who were walking a minute before, when I passed them...

You're absolutely right that it's not always the best strategy. Or at least - not always.Thanks for your comment!
Mary
2015-08-03 10:50 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Regular
Oregon
I'm sorry if it seems like I came on here just to validate my plans. I know I screwed up and I thought I made it clear in my first post that I was going to do the race anyways. So my question was about what to do in the next 2 weeks. Whether to taper, whether to try and get in some more long runs...whether to follow the last 2 weeks of my plan as planned etc.

For me, I don't see the point in DNS...if I was going to pick another HM a month or 2 down the road to train for....then wouldn't I have some long run training anyways? Why couldn't I just use this race as a long run training?

Maybe some people are worried that I will push myself too hard and try to "race" and make my goal time. I could understand if you are an elite runner/athlete how it might be hard to hold back in a race format and you could end up injured. But that is unlikely to happen to me as I am far from elite and have no ego/stigma associated with walking or even not finishing.

Anyways thanks for all the opinions because it really has helped me to see how unprepared I am so I will likely adopt a much more conservative strategy than I would have thanks to the expert opinions in this thread.

I will come back and post how it went in 2 weeks!
2015-08-03 10:59 AM

User image

Champion

For me, I don't see the point in DNS...if I was going to pick another HM a month or 2 down the road to train for....then wouldn't I have some long run training anyways? Why couldn't I just use this race as a long run training?

Because a proper build in run distance does not look like this:

Week 1 - 6.8 miles
Week 2 - 7.5 miles
Week 3 - 13.1 miles

If you pick a HM a couple of months out, then you could choose an appropriate plan and follow it to build properly for the distance.

Shane
2015-08-03 11:11 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by themissj1981 For me, I don't see the point in DNS...if I was going to pick another HM a month or 2 down the road to train for....then wouldn't I have some long run training anyways? Why couldn't I just use this race as a long run training?
Because a proper build in run distance does not look like this: Week 1 - 6.8 miles Week 2 - 7.5 miles Week 3 - 13.1 miles If you pick a HM a couple of months out, then you could choose an appropriate plan and follow it to build properly for the distance. Shane

^^^This^^^

Proper training isn't just about performance.  It's just as much about injury prevention.  As I stated earlier, runners get hurt when they do that one run that pushes them over the tipping point.  It's almost always either a long run or a hard run.  13.1 miles is very long run for someone who's only been running 30-40 minutes 2 x / week.

That's the point of a DNS.

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-08-03 11:12 AM

2015-08-03 11:15 AM

User image

I'm sorry if it seems like I came on here just to validate my plans. I know I screwed up and I thought I made it clear in my first post that I was going to do the race anyways. So my question was about what to do in the next 2 weeks. Whether to taper, whether to try and get in some more long runs...whether to follow the last 2 weeks of my plan as planned etc.

Maybe some people are worried that I will push myself too hard and try to "race" and make my goal time. I could understand if you are an elite runner/athlete how it might be hard to hold back in a race format and you could end up injured. But that is unlikely to happen to me as I am far from elite and have no ego/stigma associated with walking or even not finishing.

Anyways thanks for all the opinions because it really has helped me to see how unprepared I am so I will likely adopt a much more conservative strategy than I would have thanks to the expert opinions in this thread.

I will come back and post how it went in 2 weeks!

I agree. I think people are missing the point..... if you can run 7 miles now. Why not just do a walk run and only run 7(maybe less) miles on race day. If you're not going for time and going to 'just finish' then it's not that big of a deal. If someone said that they've ran 7 miles and are thinking about walking 13 miles, it would sound dumb to tell them they're not ready.

People are basically saying DNS is better than walking a half marathon....... terrible advice.

Good luck.... and to echo what others have said.... injury is possible so just take it easy and have fun. Get the nervousness of your first 13.1 out of the way so you can train legit for your next one without putting it on a pedestal.
2015-08-03 11:20 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by themissj1981 I'm sorry if it seems like I came on here just to validate my plans. I know I screwed up and I thought I made it clear in my first post that I was going to do the race anyways. So my question was about what to do in the next 2 weeks. Whether to taper, whether to try and get in some more long runs...whether to follow the last 2 weeks of my plan as planned etc.

It's an internet forum, so you will get advice about your situation even if it isn't answering the exact questions you had.

Because you haven't "built" to run the distance yet. You build up your entire training program over time, including the long run to handle the increasing stress. Be it from running faster or farther.

Amateurs are not immune from pushing too much. Many problems an amateur has can come from not comprehending how much they are pushing themselves. Be it too hard by intensity or by distance. Earlier postings of yours did not do much to alleviate concerns of this. Current ones aren't doing much either as there hasn't been much shown in understanding training paces or building up in distance.

Anyways thanks for all the opinions because it really has helped me to see how unprepared I am so I will likely adopt a much more conservative strategy than I would have thanks to the expert opinions in this thread. I will come back and post how it went in 2 weeks!

Did you state why you are going forward with this anyway? I'm reading quickly and may have glanced of it. I see people post about regretting not doing something all the time, but they completely skip over the regret of doing something they shouldn't have. There is going to be regret of some type no matter what in this situation. And it seems to be coming from not having trained as well as had been hoped for so that is what needs to be fixed to have a good race.

2015-08-03 11:37 AM
in reply to: amalgamate

User image

Champion
Originally posted by amalgamate

People are basically saying DNS is better than walking a half marathon....... terrible advice.

Well, I would agree there has been some terrible advice on this thread...

Shane
2015-08-03 11:54 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

In fairness to the OP, she never asked the forum whether or not she should participate. She asked "what now", and solicited ideas for how to handle the next two weeks of running. It seems she already had her mind made up to enter the race but wanted ideas for how to approach the race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blew off training plan for my first HM. Race is 2 weeks away. What now? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

12 week HM training plan

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 790 Posts: 2

2013-12-03 12:07 PM mcmanusclan5

Completed first HM this am!!

Started by mrfarrar
Views: 1035 Posts: 17

2011-10-31 7:34 AM mrfarrar

1st HM, 8 weeks, 2nd HM - training question

Started by GLC1968
Views: 870 Posts: 3

2011-10-17 11:41 AM GLC1968

first post, first race ever HM

Started by firebrick
Views: 577 Posts: 3

2011-10-17 10:01 AM tuwood

Help! Post-Tendonitis 5 Week HM Training Plan

Started by SoccerGK
Views: 961 Posts: 4

2011-03-26 5:53 PM tkos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.