2015-08-07 10:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Swim fitness or technique?

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by nc452010 ^Could you slow to 2:10/100 and not see your form suffer?

Me personally?  Probably not.  Could someone else?  Maybe.  That's the whole point of the drill.  It reveals technique flaws, so if you take a swimmer who's T-pace is 1:10, they probably can slow to a 2:00 pace without many noticeable technique issues.  Ask a swimmer with a 1:40 T-pace to do the same, and they'll struggle a lot more.

Don, I'm not so sure that's true.  I honestly don't know what I would have to do to slow down to 2:00 short of massive pauses between each stroke.  Of course that might just mean I have a bunch of technique flaws.    Maybe I will try it next time I am in the pool to see what happens.

You can pause at times (like the stun gun drill), or you can just slow all the movements way down.  It's like swimming in slow motion.  It can be an incredibly challenging drill for someone like you (and myself) who swims in that 1:20-1:40 range, because we're fast enough to benefit a lot from lift, but the technique usually isn't there that's needed to swim closer to a 1:00 pace.  When the lift generated by speed is removed, balance issues tend to rear their ugly head.  

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-08-07 10:07 AM

2015-08-07 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by nc452010

Let me ask this another way.........

Let's say I can swim a 1:40/100. But, doing so has me gassed (can't do repeats on any appreciable rest interval).

Now, is the thing limiting me from doing this, for extended periods, fitness or technique? Both?

I keep hearing people say that they fall into a natural rhythm. If your natural rhythm is 1:50/100 and you try to swim 2:10/100....would this throw off your breathing and form?

My wife took some really short videos on her iphone. If an expert want to look and critique, shoot me a number!

If you're that gassed- perhaps you are going into the anaerobic range rather than aerobic. Here's an interesting article http://www.swimmingscience.net/2011/10/anaerobic-capacity-in-swimmi...

I would say technique is pushing you there- 1:40/ 100 on a single repeat should not be a huge effort if your technique is good. You are fighting some major drag or inefficiencies.

Here's another interesting article http://www.alexandriamasters.com/articles/eng.htm

If your natural rhythm is 1:50/ 100 (for how many?) Maybe do a bunch of 50s on 1:05 (these are great because they are easy to keep track of if you do 13 you will finish right back on the top of the clock.

Edited by Moonrocket 2015-08-07 10:10 AM
2015-08-07 10:14 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
^When you first started swimming, could you do those intervals?
2015-08-07 10:18 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Extreme Veteran

I started swimming at 13 years old and was doing sub 1 minute 100s within a year of starting- so I'm probably not a good example (I have webbed fingers and giant feet that don't need flippers.) I would guess I was doing that kind of interval from the get go but since it's been more than a few decades I don't really remember.

The second article has some ideas about good rest intervals based on your current pace.

Is there a master's group you can swim with? You can get great feedback from their coaches.
2015-08-07 12:59 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Something that may shed some additional light is this; I stopped swimming all together after high school. Didn't swim a single lap for 18 years. I was swimming 1:45/100m (1:35/100yd) from my first time back in the water. I had been only running leading into it. So my "swim fitness" was essentially 0, and I had form and any carryover fitness from running. That, to me, illustrates the role of form.
2015-08-07 1:12 PM
in reply to: 3mar

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by nc452010 ^When you first started swimming, could you do those intervals?
Something that may shed some additional light is this; I stopped swimming all together after high school. Didn't swim a single lap for 18 years. I was swimming 1:45/100m (1:35/100yd) from my first time back in the water. I had been only running leading into it. So my "swim fitness" was essentially 0, and I had form and any carryover fitness from running. That, to me, illustrates the role of form.

I could equally argue that it was more likely your natural genetic given ability was responsible for your ability to swim the speed you did even after all that time off. 

I ran a 5k a few years ago with a friend who never ran for fitness, didn't play a single sport for 10+ years due to his work/family, and was never on any competitive sports team. He played league soccer in adolescence, and that was it, other than gym class or pickup soccer games that he didn't play regularly. He didn't even know what a good time was - I told him since he wasn't overweight, a 9min/mile would be a very good result (28-29min 5k).

The guy ran a freaking 19:30. I thought he misread the clock until the results were posted. I encouraged him to run another one, and a few months later, with a modicum of training, he was low 17s. I don't think he ran another one after that, though - back to work and family for him!

2015-08-07 1:32 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Sarasota, Florida
Originally posted by yazmaster

Originally posted by nc452010 ^When you first started swimming, could you do those intervals?

I could equally argue that it was more likely your natural genetic given ability was responsible for your ability to swim the speed you did even after all that time off. 

I ran a 5k a few years ago with a friend who never ran for fitness, didn't play a single sport for 10+ years due to his work/family, and was never on any competitive sports team. He played league soccer in adolescence, and that was it, other than gym class or pickup soccer games that he didn't play regularly. He didn't even know what a good time was - I told him since he wasn't overweight, a 9min/mile would be a very good result (28-29min 5k).

The guy ran a freaking 19:30. I thought he misread the clock until the results were posted. I encouraged him to run another one, and a few months later, with a modicum of training, he was low 17s. I don't think he ran another one after that, though - back to work and family for him!

That's insane. Kind of hard for me to believe too, wonder if he had a secret treadmill murphy bed style or something.
I wonder what he could accomplish if he did train. Running definitely doesn't work like that for me. It takes hard work and maintenance.
2015-08-07 1:39 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

I've never been that guy. When I started swimming in high school I was towards the slow end. I don't think I was able to swim a sub-30 50yd until I was a sophomore. Same with running. I started in my late 20's and from the start I was a 9:00 MM for a year. Both sports took a long grind to get fast. I'm determined, not gifted.
2015-08-07 1:46 PM

Well, consider yourself a lot more talented than me in swimming! After 2 years of trying regular and dedicated swim training to get faster, I was a 2:10/100yd swimmer. And it wasn't due to lack of effort, coaching, or time. 

I can swim 1:20s for an hour no problem now, but if the pools here close and I take more than 6 weeks off, my comeback speed even after than short layoff is 1:55/100yds for anything over 400. (Fortunately, it comes back quick)

Edited by yazmaster 2015-08-07 1:47 PM
2015-08-07 2:06 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

You could, but you'd likely be wrong.  

Running and swimming are apples and oranges.  It's common for someone to run a 'fast' 5k without any technique development.  To swim 'fast' without any technique development is nearly unheard of.  That's because the primary limiter in running is aerobic capacity.  The primary limiter in swimming is skill.  (Don't misconstrue this to mean that fitness doesn't matter.  It just means that the density of water combined with us being land animals makes technique much more relevant.)

2015-08-07 2:22 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Well, consider yourself a lot more talented than me in swimming! After 2 years of trying regular and dedicated swim training to get faster, I was a 2:10/100yd swimmer. And it wasn't due to lack of effort, coaching, or time. 

I can swim 1:20s for an hour no problem now, but if the pools here close and I take more than 6 weeks off, my comeback speed even after than short layoff is 1:55/100yds for anything over 400. (Fortunately, it comes back quick)

What changed?  Was it that you learned how to suffer?  No, I'm not being snarky.  I'm serious.

I don't know your background, but unless someone has a competitive swimming background, they usually have to learn how to suffer (AFTER at least some technique development) before they can post competitive times in the water.  Runners have no idea how to suffer, because the majority of run training is at a low intensity.  Cyclists have a better idea how to suffer, but the constantly changing scenery and recoveries during descents can provide sizable breaks which help mentally for the next hard effort. Competitive swimmers know how to suffer like few other athletes.  They swim hard almost all the time, hour after hour, week after week, month after month, and sometimes year after year, with only their own thoughts and pain to keep them company, all while staring at a black line in the bottom of the pool.

2015-08-07 2:46 PM

You're misinterpreting me. I NEVER said that technique in swimming was meaningless - search my posts - I always say that for beginners, technique is paramount, and for them, it should comprise close to 100% of their work, as they are far more technique limited than fitness limited. As they get better, power becomes more important.

I however differ with all the ex-comp swimmers who commonly say 'it's all technique' or "80% technique or more" figures. There's a huge fitness component, and I think it kicks in at a lot earlier stages than people suspect. For sure, it's not the case that you have to technique your way to a FOMOP swim time for a triathlete before training hard in the pool. 

I only bring up the running fitness as a clear example of the huge differences in fitness (not technique) that are natural given gifts. Those same differences exist in swimming (different muscle groups obviously). Of course, if your technique is terrible, no fitness will save you, but eliminate the major errors and those gifts show up in full force. So someone with middling swim fitness genetics might be stuck at 2:00/100 with moderate training, whereas a naturally gifted swimmer might see 1:20 or lower with moderate (or even close to no) training.

What I take issue with is people discounting this reality of natural swim fitness ability. What usually happens is that these gifted folks give all the credit to their technique, without acknowledging their natural gifts. And the fast swimmers are always fast to begin with, with rapid improvement on little training. They often don't think they're fast because they're already racing against peers who are monsters in the pool, but make no doubt about it - compared them to the other 20 kids or adults picked at random from any swim class, and even if you made them do the exact same training coming up through the swim ranks, they'd be far ahead no matter what.

Edited by yazmaster 2015-08-07 2:55 PM
2015-08-07 2:55 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

You're misinterpreting me. I NEVER said that technique in swimming was meaningless - search my posts - I always say that for beginners, technique is paramount, and for them, it should comprise close to 100% of their work, as they are far more technique limited than fitness limited.

I however differ with all the ex-comp swimmers who commonly say 'it's all technique' or "80% technique or more" figures. There's a huge fitness component, and I think it kicks in at a lot earlier stages than people suspect. For sure, it's not the case that you have to technique your way to a FOMOP swim time for a triathlete before training hard in the pool. 

I only bring up the running fitness as a clear example of the huge differences in fitness (not technique) that are natural given gifts. Those same differences exist in swimming (different muscle groups obviously). Of course, if your technique is terrible, no fitness will save you, but eliminate the major errors and those gifts show up in full force. So someone with middling swim fitness genetics might be stuck at 2:00/100 with moderate training, whereas a naturally gifted swimmer might see 1:20 or lower with moderate (or even close to no) training.

What I take issue with is people discounting this reality of natural swim fitness ability. What usually happens is that these gifted folks give all the credit to their technique, without acknowledging their natural gifts. And the fast swimmers are always fast to begin with, with rapid improvement on little training. They often don't think they're fast because they're already racing against peers who are monsters in the pool, but make no doubt about it - compared them to the other 20 kids or adults picked at random from any swim class, and even if you made them do the exact same training coming up through the swim ranks, they'd be far ahead no matter what.

Couldn't the natural gift be the technique? i.e. have a natural ability to feel the water? Much like someone might be naturally good at shooting free-throws. Although, when I look at video of my swimming, there's a lot left to be desired, but it seems enough.
2015-08-07 3:07 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar  Couldn't the natural gift be the technique? i.e. have a natural ability to feel the water? Much like someone might be naturally good at shooting free-throws. Although, when I look at video of my swimming, there's a lot left to be desired, but it seems enough.

Yes, range of motion and feel could very well be natural gifts. Although from your earlier descriptions that might not describe you either.

2015-08-07 3:15 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by 3mar  Couldn't the natural gift be the technique? i.e. have a natural ability to feel the water? Much like someone might be naturally good at shooting free-throws. Although, when I look at video of my swimming, there's a lot left to be desired, but it seems enough.

Yes, range of motion and feel could very well be natural gifts. Although from your earlier descriptions that might not describe you either.

I'm just like a bubble bee then. Technically they aren't supposed to be able to fly according to scientists...or so the legend goes.
2015-08-07 4:02 PM

Yep, could still be technique.

Although to be fair, I did see your original swim video (nice pace, BTW!) and the most notable thing about it was your rapid arm turnover. You can call that technique all you want, but I'm calling that power, power, and more power, to be able to grip the water effectively yet maintain a high turnover rate. I kinda got out of breath just watching it!

2015-08-07 4:16 PM

Master
Northern IL

Although to be fair, I did see your original swim video (nice pace, BTW!) and the most notable thing about it was your rapid arm turnover. You can call that technique all you want, but I'm calling that power, power, and more power, to be able to grip the water effectively yet maintain a high turnover rate. I kinda got out of breath just watching it!

Back to a couple things involving Don's posts, this is one where people seem to "misunderstand" you. The phrasing chosen in the second part seems to dismiss anything technique may have to do with it in spite of the opening sentence of the post. It also seems to allude to this being a binary thing again by making it an either/or statement. One side vs another. And By repeating power so much, it really looks like you're trying to say power is is the dominating factor in swimming.

2015-08-07 4:29 PM

If you're a 2:00/100 swimmer, what's keeping you from being a 1:40/100 swimmer?

Between the two choices (thread title)......not "both".

If you can run a 6:00 mile, what's stopping you from running 26.2 at that pace (technique or fitness)?

If you're a 2:00/100 swimmer in your tris.......how fast can you swim a 100 in training?

Just curious. I am an "adult onset" swimmer.

Volume. . . . takes care of both.
2015-08-07 4:32 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Fair enough - I could see why you and others misread my posts.

But I will add that I'm much more on the power-based side of swimming for triathletes than technique, once past slow-beginner levels. I'm sure that for competitive swimmers, technique may make or break, especially since they're contending for gaps of tenths, and sometimes hundreths of a second between 1st and 2nd place, not to say the already hellacious paces they are already swimming. 

But for the typical triathlete who's been stuck at 2:00/100 pace, power is sorely lacking - in most of the videos I've seen posted around here of folks at that pace, the lack of power and turnover is by far the most noticeable thing. You crank their stroke rate up to that of 3mar's in his video, and they'll be pretty darn close to his 1:20 pace despite all those legit technical flaws. 

2015-08-07 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
As someone who used to be a lot faster, now 46 and slower, have asked myself that question as well.

I'm more of a 1:40/100m swimmer, but.....I'm guessing that technique is still holding me back to some extent in swimming. Not just stroke technique but swimming in a straight line in OWS. If left to my own devices, I can swim 1:50-1:53/100m pretty much indefinitely, so maybe that is my "natural rhythm". It's normally the speed I'd be going in a warmup, cooldown, or recovery type swim. To hit 2:00+/100m, I would have to deliberately slow my stroke and it would feel unnatural. 1:40/100m is working harder, tempo effort. 1:30 is just really hard. That doesn't seem to change much with training. But.....As a teenager I swam 500y in just under 6:00 (so about 1:19-1:20/100m) and 1650y (1500m) in 21 minutes and change. Still have no idea how much of my slowdown is due to different technique (is it different??), how much to fitness/aging. Guessing mostly the latter.

For running, definitely fitness. I can hold 6:00 pace for maybe half a mile, probably not a mile. (Sad but true. In my youth, I could hold that for 20 miles.) So my body does/should know how to run efficiently at that pace. But the fitness is just not there and, after several years of fairly serious run training, I think the whole physiological setup to do that level of running is long gone.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-08-07 6:23 PM
2015-08-07 7:49 PM

Master
Northern IL

Fair enough - I could see why you and others misread my posts.

But I will add that I'm much more on the power-based side of swimming for triathletes than technique, once past slow-beginner levels. I'm sure that for competitive swimmers, technique may make or break, especially since they're contending for gaps of tenths, and sometimes hundreths of a second between 1st and 2nd place, not to say the already hellacious paces they are already swimming. 

But for the typical triathlete who's been stuck at 2:00/100 pace, power is sorely lacking - in most of the videos I've seen posted around here of folks at that pace, the lack of power and turnover is by far the most noticeable thing. You crank their stroke rate up to that of 3mar's in his video, and they'll be pretty darn close to his 1:20 pace despite all those legit technical flaws. 

Well, that's a bit of an oversimplification that the power and turnover just get faster. It takes additional skill to hold things together too.The pathways of movement are not fixed. One may attempt to scale the timing up faster, but because the actual time to initiate, sustain or change anything in the stroke will change, that new timing has to be learned.

2015-08-08 2:42 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Thanks. Although it could be that if my stroke was proper I wouldn't be able to maintain such a high turnover rate. Any attempts I've had to adjust my stroke feel like a step back. It very well may be one of those situations where you take one step back and end up taking two forward if you stick with it though.
2015-08-08 2:45 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

You crank their stroke rate up to that of 3mar's in his video, and they'll be pretty darn close to his 1:20 pace despite all those legit technical flaws. 

At that turnover rate (the first 50 meters) I was closer to 1:00/100m, so that would still add weight to technique. I think we keep coming back to the fact that it's a combination of both.
2015-08-08 5:19 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by runtim23

That's insane. Kind of hard for me to believe too, wonder if he had a secret treadmill murphy bed style or something.
I wonder what he could accomplish if he did train. Running definitely doesn't work like that for me. It takes hard work and maintenance.

These people definitely exist. Late in training for my first tri I got some help on swimming from a friend who used to be on swim team in high school. 3 weeks before the race she decided to join me on a sprint tri. She did the swim with no wetsuit, just wore a sports bra and knee length leggings. She did the bike on a hot pink fixed gear that was like a $100 wal mart special and she sprinted the run. She beat me by like 4.5 minutes and was 4th in our age group. Prior to this she was not doing any regular exercise, running or biking. she had been on a winter indoor soccer league, but that had ended weeks prior. Some people are born with it.
2015-08-09 6:11 AM
in reply to: themissj1981

User image

Extreme Veteran

there was a great quote from Paulo Sousa, one of the better coaches in the sport

"Technique goes a long way in swimming, but it's nothing without fitness. Working on your fitness works on technique. The opposite is not true."

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim fitness or technique? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Subtle technique (not fitness) worth at least 5 sec/100yds

Started by yazmaster
Views: 1063 Posts: 3

2013-03-28 8:05 PM chrishatcher1138

Progress on roller technique - but alas, it's been only technique

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1133 Posts: 5

2010-12-31 4:12 AM DanielG

LA Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Bally's, Snap Fitness? Pages: 1 2

Started by vonschnapps
Views: 12535 Posts: 31

2015-02-17 8:18 PM Miles around Midtown

swimming technique/books about swimming

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 955 Posts: 7

2007-07-09 4:03 PM agilis

Open Water Swimming -- Technique Questions

Started by Stacers
Views: 1716 Posts: 11

2004-02-24 3:52 PM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2013
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
Much has changed in swimming over the past 30 years. I will summarize the most important changes in two categories; swim training and swimming technique. Both are critical to fast swimming.

date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.
date : August 5, 2008
author : EnduRight
Do you do that same freestyle stroke over and over? Why triathletes can benefit from swimming other strokes besides freestyle.

date : May 19, 2008
author : EnduRight
comments : 1
Next time you reach for your pull buoy, think again. By creating dependency on a buoy, the athlete never learns how to correctly create a more efficient freestyle stroke through better body position.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.