General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is your masters swim club "beginner" friendly? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-03 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Is your masters swim club "beginner" friendly?
Title says it all.

2015-09-03 6:41 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Is your masters swim club "beginner" friendly?

There are 3 within 15 miles of where I live......none are.

2015-09-03 6:43 PM
in reply to: #5138700

2015-09-03 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by nc452010

Title says it all.

yes.
5 lines, 2 for the slower swimmers.
1 coach for the 2 slower lanes, 1 coach for the three 'faster' lanes.
The slowest of the slow lanes is pretty slow.
2015-09-03 6:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Who knew?

I felt like a redheaded stepchild when I was a member a few years back. I honestly don't remember the facilitator ever speaking a word to me.

I can't get the current group to even return my emails.......lol. ONLY reason I'm persistent is, it's cheaper to swim with them than it is to join the Y and swim alone.

I'm going to go to their workout in the AM and just ask the guy if I can swim on my own and join......again, only because of the $$ savings. I'm doing the 0-1650 plan. I just hit 400yds for the 1st time ever. I'm pretty much a beginner.

Edited by nc452010 2015-09-03 6:49 PM
2015-09-03 6:59 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted nc452010 Title says it all.
yes. 5 lines, 2 for the slower swimmers. 1 coach for the 2 slower lanes, 1 coach for the three 'faster' lanes. The slowest of the slow lanes is pretty slow.

I wonder if it is different in Canada? I have not heard of any really good experiences here, and most mirror the OP's experience..  I have seen a number of people from Canada describe what you say.

2015-09-03 7:10 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

If "beginner" just means you're slow, then yes.  If it means you can't swim at all, then some private lessons are suggested. 

We did a 10 x 100 fast set on a 2:30 interval last Wed and the "slow" group (including me) averaged < 1:50.  In the "fast" group the top guys were around 1:04.

But we also have a few folks who don't swim the intervals and that's OK.  No pressure put on anyone.

Mark

2015-09-03 7:15 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro

Originally posted by RedCorvette

If "beginner" just means you're slow, then yes.  If it means you can't swim at all, then some private lessons are suggested. 

We did a 10 x 100 fast set on a 2:30 interval last Wed and the "slow" group (including me) averaged < 1:50.  In the "fast" group the top guys were around 1:04.

But we also have a few folks who don't swim the intervals and that's OK.  No pressure put on anyone.

Mark

But is there any instruction at all?

2015-09-03 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
At this point, I really don't care if they instruct me or not. I just hope they'll give me lane space. Where they swim is more convenient than anywhere else I can swim.

My last swim I did:

1X400
1X200
4X100
4X50

I am a beginner in my eyes. I'm just trying to build endurance.

Edited by nc452010 2015-09-03 7:33 PM
2015-09-03 8:40 PM

Also from Canada. All masters club i did were happy go greet new members and gave extra attentions to their new swimmers.

So yes, it was beginner friendly.

Ask for a free trial. Most clubs i tried gave me one.
2015-09-03 8:48 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Left Brain

Mark

There's instruction, but it's in the fine points of stroke technique, assuming that you already have some basic ability.  As I've mentioned previously, our coach is Sheila Taormina and she pretty much follows the stuff in her books, focused on the catch & pull.  Lots of drill stuff:  one-arm, catch-up, Tarzan, etc.

Mark 

2015-09-03 9:01 PM

User image

Pro

Mark

There's instruction, but it's in the fine points of stroke technique, assuming that you already have some basic ability.  As I've mentioned previously, our coach is Sheila Taormina and she pretty much follows the stuff in her books, focused on the catch & pull.  Lots of drill stuff:  one-arm, catch-up, Tarzan, etc.

Mark 

Yep, I remember you posting that now that you mention it.  That's pretty cool.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-03 9:02 PM
2015-09-03 10:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Both clubs I've been to in my area have special workouts for beginners. The also have special stroke improvement workouts.

I have not been to them but based on the regular session quality I would assume they are good.
2015-09-04 5:43 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Mark

This has been my experience.  When we get a full practice group we have three lanes, and I'm in the slowest.  Our x100 (SCM) will be on 2:10/2:15 or thereabouts.  We do drill stuff, too.  One practice I recall had us progressing from catch-up drill to 3/4 catch-up to swim.  

I've received some personal instruction during the practice, plus there are 1:1 swim lesson/coaching sessions available.

I think true beginners, like the OP, might stuggle a bit and they would recommend the individual lessons to supplement the practice itself.

2015-09-04 8:11 AM

User image

Originally posted by nc452010 Who knew? I felt like a redheaded stepchild when I was a member a few years back. I honestly don't remember the facilitator ever speaking a word to me. I can't get the current group to even return my emails.......lol. ONLY reason I'm persistent is, it's cheaper to swim with them than it is to join the Y and swim alone. I'm going to go to their workout in the AM and just ask the guy if I can swim on my own and join......again, only because of the $$ savings. I'm doing the 0-1650 plan. I just hit 400yds for the 1st time ever. I'm pretty much a beginner.

I wouldn't ask if you can swim on your own.  I'd ask something along the lines of if I can't keep up with a given set is it alright if  I hang to the side and catch up on the next lap or orinterval.   I'm surprised they are not friendly to newswimmers.    

2015-09-04 8:27 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by nc452010 Who knew? I felt like a redheaded stepchild when I was a member a few years back. I honestly don't remember the facilitator ever speaking a word to me. I can't get the current group to even return my emails.......lol. ONLY reason I'm persistent is, it's cheaper to swim with them than it is to join the Y and swim alone. I'm going to go to their workout in the AM and just ask the guy if I can swim on my own and join......again, only because of the $$ savings. I'm doing the 0-1650 plan. I just hit 400yds for the 1st time ever. I'm pretty much a beginner.

I wouldn't ask if you can swim on your own.  I'd ask something along the lines of if I can't keep up with a given set is it alright if  I hang to the side and catch up on the next lap or orinterval.   I'm surprised they are not friendly to newswimmers.    

Some masters groups are more accommodating to triathletes than others.  We have several triathletes in our morning group and our coach knows that we occasionally need to do more endurance sets.  Helps to explain ahead of time what you're up to if you're not going to follow the posted workout..  And make sure you stay out of the way of swimmers doing intervals.

Mark

2015-09-04 8:41 AM

User image

Also from Canada and yes, when I first went, they were very welcoming and helpful. Also, I really appreciated the gentle instructions as I didn't know how to share lanes, where to put my stuff, etc. It was really nice not to be glared at or ordered around when I didn't know what I was doing.
2015-09-04 8:52 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by b2run Also from Canada and yes, when I first went, they were very welcoming and helpful. Also, I really appreciated the gentle instructions as I didn't know how to share lanes, where to put my stuff, etc. It was really nice not to be glared at or ordered around when I didn't know what I was doing.

I swim with a coached swim for triathletes and while friendly there is a steep learning curve and all seem to try to be clear it's not a 'learn to swim' or swimming lessons. There's learning the lingo and how pace times, rest intervals, circle swimming, all that work. 

Now, friendly and helpful is true. Is it intimidating to newcomers? Probably. At my session last year i could consistently swim 2:05/100m and was the slowest.  I have been at it for a few years as an adult onset swimmer and while frustrating to be the slowest i am used to it. Not sure how the newbies feel about it though. 

2015-09-04 9:21 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

I'm in the US and after 2 attempts at Master's I threw in the towel. I consider myself a middle of the pack swimmer but being self taught I'd never had any formal instruction or used any swim "toys" before and to say I felt lost is an understatement. I basically wound up swimming by myself for an hour and while the instructor clearly had a plan, in my experience there was no effort made to help the newby's out.
2015-09-04 10:22 AM

User image

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted nc452010 Title says it all.
yes. 5 lines, 2 for the slower swimmers. 1 coach for the 2 slower lanes, 1 coach for the three 'faster' lanes. The slowest of the slow lanes is pretty slow.

I wonder if it is different in Canada? I have not heard of any really good experiences here, and most mirror the OP's experience..  I have seen a number of people from Canada describe what you say.

The primary one by me is friendly but then again the girl who runs it is a triathlete and coaches triathletes.  That could be the difference.  But I have looked at others in the past for different days and times for practice and they say open to all levels.

2015-09-04 10:31 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'm not sure what a master's swim club is. There's this thing at my YMCA where there are old ladies in lanes 1-5 and they do aerobics with detergent bottles as they float. Then a rope and lane's 6&7 have up to four swimmers, usually with some really old lady swimming like 170 laps doing the elementary backstroke across all lanes.

Is that what Master's club is like? Cause ours is super beginner friendly. Not so much friendly to people who want to really swim, because it needs to be set at about 103 degrees so the elderly don't get too chilled.

2015-09-04 11:19 AM

User image

Regular
NW
I've swam at a few during travel and am a member of one. The short answer is YES....with a but:

1) Explain to the coach and those in your lane that you are a beginner swimmer and want to get better. Period
2) Replace phases like "I don't do those" or "I don't do that" with "I need some help with those" or "I'll try but I need more practice".
3) Forget any lame excuses of not doing or trying something "because I'm a triathlete". Probably 90% of the swimmers in the Masters group would be front of pack swimmers if placed in a triathlon tomorrow. And yes their legs would still be fresh enough to bike and run at the end if they are cyclist and runners.
4) In fact until you've been with the group for a while, pretty much leave the "I'm a triathlete" phrase in the car. Trust that no one will be impressed and most will ignore you the rest of the workout knowing from experience after experience from the above.

You'll find the above advice works the same with roadies also. Heck it even applies if you go into a running shop!

I've found people that are committed and passionate about one sport are all too willing to share advice and give help up to the point you tell them what you don't need to do to progress. Swimming is a weakness of many triathletes because it is so dependent on technique and learning technique takes time, dedication, and an open mind. As and example, I never swim fly in triathlon, but I know if I want to get faster and more conditioned at crawl, some fly sets are invaluable.

Oh and sorry but I really doubt they will be receptive to you showing up and just using a lane because it is cheaper. Master groups have a tough time getting pool time as it.

In case you are wondering, I made all the mistakes I have listed above when I went to my first Masters workout 8-years ago. :-)
2015-09-04 12:56 PM
in reply to: tamason

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I haven't read through the other responses, but mine is. We have 6 lanes and 2 are for slower swimmers and they focus more on technique. It's still a hard workout though. They won't teach you how to swim though, I think you have to be able to swim 1500m in an hour or something to join the club.

Your first 3 workouts are free where the coaches watch you a little more and both you and the coaches get to decide if you are ready to join the club after the intital 3 workouts.

http://www.englishbay.org/join.shtml

2015-09-04 1:23 PM
in reply to: tamason

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tamason I've swam at a few during travel and am a member of one. The short answer is YES....with a but: 1) Explain to the coach and those in your lane that you are a beginner swimmer and want to get better. Period 2) Replace phases like "I don't do those" or "I don't do that" with "I need some help with those" or "I'll try but I need more practice". 3) Forget any lame excuses of not doing or trying something "because I'm a triathlete". Probably 90% of the swimmers in the Masters group would be front of pack swimmers if placed in a triathlon tomorrow. And yes their legs would still be fresh enough to bike and run at the end if they are cyclist and runners. 4) In fact until you've been with the group for a while, pretty much leave the "I'm a triathlete" phrase in the car. Trust that no one will be impressed and most will ignore you the rest of the workout knowing from experience after experience from the above. You'll find the above advice works the same with roadies also. Heck it even applies if you go into a running shop! I've found people that are committed and passionate about one sport are all too willing to share advice and give help up to the point you tell them what you don't need to do to progress. Swimming is a weakness of many triathletes because it is so dependent on technique and learning technique takes time, dedication, and an open mind. As and example, I never swim fly in triathlon, but I know if I want to get faster and more conditioned at crawl, some fly sets are invaluable. Oh and sorry but I really doubt they will be receptive to you showing up and just using a lane because it is cheaper. Master groups have a tough time getting pool time as it. In case you are wondering, I made all the mistakes I have listed above when I went to my first Masters workout 8-years ago. :-)

That's a good post.

2015-09-04 1:39 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by tamason I've swam at a few during travel and am a member of one. The short answer is YES....with a but: 1) Explain to the coach and those in your lane that you are a beginner swimmer and want to get better. Period 2) Replace phases like "I don't do those" or "I don't do that" with "I need some help with those" or "I'll try but I need more practice". 3) Forget any lame excuses of not doing or trying something "because I'm a triathlete". Probably 90% of the swimmers in the Masters group would be front of pack swimmers if placed in a triathlon tomorrow. And yes their legs would still be fresh enough to bike and run at the end if they are cyclist and runners. 4) In fact until you've been with the group for a while, pretty much leave the "I'm a triathlete" phrase in the car. Trust that no one will be impressed and most will ignore you the rest of the workout knowing from experience after experience from the above. You'll find the above advice works the same with roadies also. Heck it even applies if you go into a running shop! I've found people that are committed and passionate about one sport are all too willing to share advice and give help up to the point you tell them what you don't need to do to progress. Swimming is a weakness of many triathletes because it is so dependent on technique and learning technique takes time, dedication, and an open mind. As and example, I never swim fly in triathlon, but I know if I want to get faster and more conditioned at crawl, some fly sets are invaluable. Oh and sorry but I really doubt they will be receptive to you showing up and just using a lane because it is cheaper. Master groups have a tough time getting pool time as it. In case you are wondering, I made all the mistakes I have listed above when I went to my first Masters workout 8-years ago. :-)

That's a good post.

I agree.  Excellent post.

Also based on my experience, I think the communication is the best tip.  In general, I already did everything mentioned (check the attitude at the door, mostly).  Whenever I pay someone to help me? Golf, nutrition, swimming?  I try to go in with an open mind and do whatever they ask of me and NOT act like "I already know that".  THEY are the experts.  That's why I pay them to help me.  But tell them your desires and if they see that you care?  They can focus a bit more on what is needed.

Even with that, I still ran into a masters groups where I was basically ignored and just told to do things and really felt out of place - it was just their regular workout.  The next time around, they had a 8 week "camp" that I signed up for so I got a little more personal attention and it was with the same group of people instead of just random drop-ins.  I think that got me a little more "included" in the group and got a level of familiarity with the coach and the system and I ended up fitting right in.  Granted, I was decent swimmer and could be solid MOP with most of the people already there (so does that count as a beginner?) I just didn't know the "rules" of masters.

I think it's letting the coach know your intent to get better and that your not just a drop in getting a workout in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is your masters swim club "beginner" friendly? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Why is masters swim called masters swim?

Started by yazmaster
Views: 2171 Posts: 18

2013-07-25 2:16 PM simpsonbo

Masters swim clubs

Started by sauna66
Views: 1614 Posts: 17

2007-01-09 11:48 AM m80

Master Swim Clubs - Strokes

Started by snake111
Views: 801 Posts: 4

2006-09-13 2:35 PM jeanneroth

Master Swimming Clubs

Started by katiemama
Views: 828 Posts: 8

2006-08-28 3:51 PM leapdog

Masters Swim Club

Started by athena
Views: 602 Posts: 2

2004-09-14 9:05 PM Deb_B
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 0
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.