General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training zones Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-03-30 7:31 PM

User image

Geneseo, New York
Subject: Training zones
I have been training for triathlons for my second year now. My first year was kind of hit and miss with my training. I didn't adhere to training zones as much as I should have. This year I am trying to stick to the training zones. I feel as if my zone 2 & 3 will be very low for me. They are between 130 & 141. My question is if I can't stick to zone 2 without walking, should I walk? I feel as if I won't get the work I need if I have to walk. I am able to hit my zones easier on the bike and the swim can be a bit challenging too. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2016-03-30 9:03 PM
in reply to: eshine9

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Training zones
My honest opinion through experiences with myself and others is that if you are not under a consistent load that zones will not merit you as much benefit as simply just adding load/stress. Zones are more practical for those that are consistently training, in this case I will define that by training 5-6 days a week.

So the question is.....how often per week are you training right now?
2016-04-09 3:56 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Geneseo, New York
I am training six days a week. Last year I competed in sprint triathlons with my big race being an Olympic distance. I didn't really pay attention too much to my zones and some other aspects of my training. This year the big event I'm training for is a half Ironman. I want to make sure I'm regimented and following zones. I don't want to commit to such a serious race only to hit a wall or not make the cut-off times for some reason due to my training.
2016-04-09 5:39 PM
in reply to: #5174669

User image

, North Carolina
What method are you using to calculate your zones?

I believe that if your can't keep it in zone 2 with out walking you should walk. You'd be surprised how fast you'll build aerobic capacity like that. (Walk/run)
2016-04-09 6:12 PM
in reply to: Nick B

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Nick B What method are you using to calculate your zones? I believe that if your can't keep it in zone 2 with out walking you should walk. You'd be surprised how fast you'll build aerobic capacity like that. (Walk/run)

Wondering about that too, but also with just how "slow" this might be. Many people think they can't run the really slow & easy paces at first, but do learn how to do it.

2016-04-10 6:51 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Nick B What method are you using to calculate your zones? I believe that if your can't keep it in zone 2 with out walking you should walk. You'd be surprised how fast you'll build aerobic capacity like that. (Walk/run)

Wondering about that too, but also with just how "slow" this might be. Many people think they can't run the really slow & easy paces at first, but do learn how to do it.

+1 on what Ben said.  It takes some time learning how to pace SLOWLY.

2016-04-10 9:20 AM

User image

Geneseo, New York
I'm using a calculation I read about on the USA Triathlon web site. www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/News/Blogs/Multisport-Lab/2016/February/22/How-to-Calculate-Your-Training-Zones

I have found that during my running, I can stay within my 2-3 zone, but when I go up hill, I'm almost having to speed walk at this point. I have heard that even elite racers will walk to keep in the lower zones at times, if that is true, I'm fine with walking. The competitive side of me doesn't want to stop running, but I want to train appropriately. I don't want to mess up my opportunity to do well at my first 70.3.
2016-04-10 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by eshine9

I'm using a calculation I read about on the USA Triathlon web site. www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/News/Blogs/Multisport-Lab/2016/February/22/How-to-Calculate-Your-Training-Zones

I have found that during my running, I can stay within my 2-3 zone, but when I go up hill, I'm almost having to speed walk at this point. I have heard that even elite racers will walk to keep in the lower zones at times, if that is true, I'm fine with walking. The competitive side of me doesn't want to stop running, but I want to train appropriately. I don't want to mess up my opportunity to do well at my first 70.3.

Theres a big difference to what elite racers versus amateur racers should do.

Right now based on your background I wouldn't worry as much about zones as I would just keep the stress increasing. I think people look at zones and periodization a bit too much, especially for where you are on the training spectrum.

Make it stupid easy, push when you body wants to, hold back when you feel tired. Right now you have lots of low hanging fruit and just consistently adding load/stress will give you a lot in return.
2016-04-10 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I guess I don't understand the concept of consistently training "slow", if your body's not telling you it needs a break.

I use my HRM less and less these days.
2016-04-10 12:20 PM

User image

Geneseo, New York
Thank you all so very much for the information! I am basically a beginner and I can't afford the high costs of a coach, so I worry about doing everything right. I'm competitive, so I want to do more than just finish in my first 70.3. I'd love to push for high finishes in my age group in the local sprint triathlons.

I appreciate any and all advice or personal experiences that have helped all of you along the way!

Thanks again!
2016-04-10 12:56 PM
in reply to: #5176286

User image

, North Carolina
More anecdotal than anything. I've been running all zone 2 this year after letting it all go over the winter. Been doing it about 3 months now. I've been able to consistently increase my milage going from 4mpw to 10mpw. Not, much I know but I've been able to do so injury free. Before, I would have some pretty serious calf and knee pain. So far so good. I started off running 12:45 to 13:00 minute miles. Now I'm running close to 11:15 per mile and still improving. But the kicker is I'm still in zone 2 running that 11:15. I am now getting to the point I need to start adding some speed work/tempo runs. Endurance training is a long process. I will say that in the beginning it felt so slow it was ridiculous. With that style running you almost always feel like you could run forever or run a lot more.

I used to be a solid zone 3 runner. Hard enough to feel like I did something but not hard enough to get faster. All that did was get me hurt. And I still wasn't that fast.

2016-04-10 6:43 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Your link wouldn't open for me so I'm sorry if this is the same thing/similar.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Maybe you can try staying in zones based off pace instead of HR. I'm not a running expert so I don't really have any more advice than that.
2016-04-10 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sorry--not having luck with the link. Did you set your threshold with a 20-minute test run, 5K race, or similar, and how recently was that? Could be that your fitness has increased and your zones have changed. The HR you mentioned sounds low for Z3 (it would be Z1 for me) but everyone is different in that respect--varies depending on physiology, fitness, pacing, and ability to push the test run effectively. Maybe you did not pace well and ended up with an average that doesn't reflect your ability? I have sometimes had similar issues with "threshold tests" for swim and bike. If the effort isn't well-paced, particularly if you started too fast, then crashed and burned, it's not that useful for getting HR or pace zones.

Other things, such as caffeine, hydration, heat, and humidity will also affect your heart rate during training. If you are getting overheated or dehydrated it can be hard to stay in Z2 even at a very modest run effort.
2016-04-10 11:04 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

This is one example of where training "like an elite" can benefit an age grouper. I realize this is in a way the opposite of what Ben is saying...but the reality is that without knowing all of yoru training history its pretty tough to suggest how to best continue making forward progress.

if at some point you decided that you wanted to do most of your run training in zones 2 & 3, and now are finding that you can't run uphill outside of zone 3...IE you're in zone 4 or even *gasp* zone 5...what makes you want to then decide that running in zone 4/5 is what you should be doing instead?

Competitive means what to you? who are you competing against when you go uphill over the HR zone you'd established for yourself?

I'm not saying that you must adhere to lower HR zones when training, just asking some quesoitns that you can ask yourself to help gain confidence in what you've decided to do.

I read a quote today that sounds like it fits...stick with one course of action to the end. IN this case, "to the end" may mean that you stop making consistent pace improvements when running in zone 3. Or keep up that run'walk pattern until you can run up the hill (not walk) in zone3. it will happen eventually.

However, there are lots of different ways to train, adn maybe sprinting or jogging briskly up that hill is what will help you most right now. How do you know?

The good news is that if you didnt' follow a plan before and now you're following ANY PLAN AT ALL...you'll probably improve. If youre improving, keep doing what youre doing until you're not improving. If you don't know whether or not your improving, the make a plan on your training calendar to test your current fitness appropriately and retest again.

What's appropriate?

if you're doing all zone 2/3 running you should probably do an efficiency test to establish a baseline rather than a 5k test. (but how do you set zones without doing a 5k test? ) You can do both. Do a 5k or 20min TT etst to set current zones. Train in those zones in whatever your plan suggests. If your goal is to train aerobically then do an aerobic test as well! restest your aerobic test and you'll see quick improvement. When you see improvement in the aerobic test, repeat the 5k test to see if you're zones have changed.

Theres lots of ways to skin a cat.

Mostly what others have said is true..be consistent, listen to your body. Don't compete with imaginary competitors, and dont confuse "run fast uphill" with a competitive spirit. A true competitive spirit is even more patient that it's desire to win.
2016-04-10 11:05 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sorry--not having luck with the link. Did you set your threshold with a 20-minute test run, 5K race, or similar, and how recently was that? Could be that your fitness has increased and your zones have changed. The HR you mentioned sounds low for Z3 (it would be Z1 for me) but everyone is different in that respect--varies depending on physiology, fitness, pacing, and ability to push the test run effectively. Maybe you did not pace well and ended up with an average that doesn't reflect your ability? I have sometimes had similar issues with "threshold tests" for swim and bike. If the effort isn't well-paced, particularly if you started too fast, then crashed and burned, it's not that useful for getting HR or pace zones. Other things, such as caffeine, hydration, heat, and humidity will also affect your heart rate during training. If you are getting overheated or dehydrated it can be hard to stay in Z2 even at a very modest run effort.

Here is the earlier mentioned link for anyone having trouble with it. It's from the team usa site, but seems to be a form of 220-age formula. Like the performance based ones more, like what Hot Runner has suggested. The formula is more of an average that can work well enough for a number of people, but not everyone. The deviations happen enough that they are not really outliers. I can go past the HR max the formula comes up with and still be within Z4. They offer some other max HR formulas in the lower paragraphs, but are still all age-based. I'll still go over these too.

2016-04-10 11:08 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by AdventureBear
Originally posted by eshine9 I'm using a calculation I read about on the USA Triathlon web site. www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/News/Blogs/Multisport-Lab/2016/February/22/How-to-Calculate-Your-Training-Zones I have found that during my running, I can stay within my 2-3 zone, but when I go up hill, I'm almost having to speed walk at this point. I have heard that even elite racers will walk to keep in the lower zones at times, if that is true, I'm fine with walking. The competitive side of me doesn't want to stop running, but I want to train appropriately. I don't want to mess up my opportunity to do well at my first 70.3.
This is one example of where training "like an elite" can benefit an age grouper. I realize this is in a way the opposite of what Ben is saying...but the reality is that without knowing all of yoru training history its pretty tough to suggest how to best continue making forward progress.

Just a point of clarification in that this was bcagle, not me. 

2016-04-11 12:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep. That would have me at 126-136 for Z2 run, based on my advanced age (46). That is an easy recovery-type jog, otherwise known as Z1, even in the heat here. It's what my HR might go through in the first 5-10 minutes of a run en route to Z2, or what it would drop to between tempo intervals on the recovery jog. Based on a 20-minute test, my Z2 is actually 147-157, which is normally a pleasant trot at moderate effort, more than just loafing along, but below tempo effort. I'd be walking up most hills (if there were any hills here), too, if I set my HR zones like that. The so-called "max" that 226-age yields is within a few beats of my threshold pace.! If it were truly "max", I wouldn't be able to hold it for 20 minutes and live to tell about it.

I believe the OP needs to set HR zones based on performance tests rather than someone's idea of what the "max" for someone his age ought to be, in order to get the most out of his training.

It reminds me of when I first started training for tri--I didn't have a trainer, so I was mostly using some spin bikes at the gym that had watt meters. For some reason you set it up with your age/weight (they wouldn't start unless you did) and they automatically set "training zones" for you. I was doing Jorge's winter cycling program based on 5 and 20-minute tests, and trying to hit pretty tough (at the time) power targets on some of the workouts. Of course my HR was moving right along (up to 160-165 for some of the nasty stuff) and this alarm on the bike kept going off. Finally my friend came over and said, "Just tell it you're 21 next time and have at it!" So I did.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-04-11 12:40 AM
2016-04-11 8:15 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

, North Carolina
I will agree that the very best way to determine your zones is through a lactate threshold test. But, for some just getting in shape enough to perform the 20min test is the first goal.

While the 220-Age or even Maffetone's 180-age(minus other factors) or the formula the OP eluded do seem to do a good job of getting people in the ballpark of where they should start. Does it work for everyone, No. But, it is a good start.
2016-04-11 10:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by eshine9 I'm using a calculation I read about on the USA Triathlon web site. www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/News/Blogs/Multisport-Lab/2016/February/22/How-to-Calculate-Your-Training-Zones I have found that during my running, I can stay within my 2-3 zone, but when I go up hill, I'm almost having to speed walk at this point. I have heard that even elite racers will walk to keep in the lower zones at times, if that is true, I'm fine with walking. The competitive side of me doesn't want to stop running, but I want to train appropriately. I don't want to mess up my opportunity to do well at my first 70.3.

That teamusa link would have me seriously undertraining.  This BT article link hasn't been posted yet so here it is.  It's the testing protocol for doing the LTHR field test that can be performed for running and biking.  Take a read and see if its something you can do.  There's also a large thread linked in the article via the Q&A.

This information came out when I decided to training using a HRM and do my 1st HIM.  I learned a lot training with LTHR zones and it helped me understand my RPE for each zone, over time the HRM became less important to me. 

To show how much a formula can be off, take a look at the following. This is what the method on teamusa has for my running zones vs the zones based on doing the field LTHR test (bolded).  Quite a bit of difference.  Here's the kicker, my LTHR threshold hasn't changed over time, its has pretty much stayed in the accuracy of the testing of ~ a 4 bpm range since 2005.  The Karvonen method further has me slowly lowering the zones since it uses my age.

Karvonen, LTHR (threshold=176)
Z1 L - 118, 117
Z1 H - 131, 149
Z2 L - 132, 150
Z2 H - 137, 160
Z3 L - 139, 161
Z3 H - 144, 168
Z4 L - 145, 169
Z4 H - 156, 175
Z5 L - 158 176
Z5 H - 169 180

Edited by Donto 2016-04-11 10:51 AM
2016-04-11 1:03 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Bcagle I think is named Ben...is your name Ben too?
2016-04-11 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

if at some point you decided that you wanted to do most of your run training in zones 2 & 3, and now are finding that you can't run uphill outside of zone 3...IE you're in zone 4 or even *gasp* zone 5...what makes you want to then decide that running in zone 4/5 is what you should be doing instead?

Competitive means what to you? who are you competing against when you go uphill over the HR zone you'd established for yourself?

I'm not saying that you must adhere to lower HR zones when training, just asking some quesoitns that you can ask yourself to help gain confidence in what you've decided to do.

I read a quote today that sounds like it fits...stick with one course of action to the end. IN this case, "to the end" may mean that you stop making consistent pace improvements when running in zone 3. Or keep up that run'walk pattern until you can run up the hill (not walk) in zone3. it will happen eventually.

However, there are lots of different ways to train, adn maybe sprinting or jogging briskly up that hill is what will help you most right now. How do you know?

The good news is that if you didnt' follow a plan before and now you're following ANY PLAN AT ALL...you'll probably improve. If youre improving, keep doing what youre doing until you're not improving. If you don't know whether or not your improving, the make a plan on your training calendar to test your current fitness appropriately and retest again.

What's appropriate?

if you're doing all zone 2/3 running you should probably do an efficiency test to establish a baseline rather than a 5k test. (but how do you set zones without doing a 5k test? ) You can do both. Do a 5k or 20min TT etst to set current zones. Train in those zones in whatever your plan suggests. If your goal is to train aerobically then do an aerobic test as well! restest your aerobic test and you'll see quick improvement. When you see improvement in the aerobic test, repeat the 5k test to see if you're zones have changed.

Theres lots of ways to skin a cat.

Mostly what others have said is true..be consistent, listen to your body. Don't compete with imaginary competitors, and dont confuse "run fast uphill" with a competitive spirit. A true competitive spirit is even more patient that it's desire to win.

I think the biggest limiter is not appropriate zone training right now but getting into a consistent routine of training. It's personally what I see with so many beginner triathletes, such as the case here. Second year, lack of consistency, etc. Zone training is added noise that at the time, might be too much outside of the simple, train as you feel method.

With a fresh body with lots of low hanging fruit just going out, inducing a stress and adapting is all someone really needs. Later on you can incorporate zones, blocks, etc.

Just my opinion with where this athlete is.

2016-04-11 2:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

Bcagle I think is named Ben...is your name Ben too?

Yes, we also race in the same general area.

2016-04-11 2:29 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by bcagle25
This is one example of where training "like an elite" can benefit an age grouper. I realize this is in a way the opposite of what Ben is saying...but the reality is that without knowing all of yoru training history its pretty tough to suggest how to best continue making forward progress. if at some point you decided that you wanted to do most of your run training in zones 2 & 3, and now are finding that you can't run uphill outside of zone 3...IE you're in zone 4 or even *gasp* zone 5...what makes you want to then decide that running in zone 4/5 is what you should be doing instead? Competitive means what to you? who are you competing against when you go uphill over the HR zone you'd established for yourself? I'm not saying that you must adhere to lower HR zones when training, just asking some quesoitns that you can ask yourself to help gain confidence in what you've decided to do. I read a quote today that sounds like it fits...stick with one course of action to the end. IN this case, "to the end" may mean that you stop making consistent pace improvements when running in zone 3. Or keep up that run'walk pattern until you can run up the hill (not walk) in zone3. it will happen eventually. However, there are lots of different ways to train, adn maybe sprinting or jogging briskly up that hill is what will help you most right now. How do you know? The good news is that if you didnt' follow a plan before and now you're following ANY PLAN AT ALL...you'll probably improve. If youre improving, keep doing what youre doing until you're not improving. If you don't know whether or not your improving, the make a plan on your training calendar to test your current fitness appropriately and retest again. What's appropriate? if you're doing all zone 2/3 running you should probably do an efficiency test to establish a baseline rather than a 5k test. (but how do you set zones without doing a 5k test? ) You can do both. Do a 5k or 20min TT etst to set current zones. Train in those zones in whatever your plan suggests. If your goal is to train aerobically then do an aerobic test as well! restest your aerobic test and you'll see quick improvement. When you see improvement in the aerobic test, repeat the 5k test to see if you're zones have changed. Theres lots of ways to skin a cat. Mostly what others have said is true..be consistent, listen to your body. Don't compete with imaginary competitors, and dont confuse "run fast uphill" with a competitive spirit. A true competitive spirit is even more patient that it's desire to win.
I think the biggest limiter is not appropriate zone training right now but getting into a consistent routine of training. It's personally what I see with so many beginner triathletes, such as the case here. Second year, lack of consistency, etc. Zone training is added noise that at the time, might be too much outside of the simple, train as you feel method. With a fresh body with lots of low hanging fruit just going out, inducing a stress and adapting is all someone really needs. Later on you can incorporate zones, blocks, etc. Just my opinion with where this athlete is.

Think it may have been better received if it was simplified to harder/easier runs instead of so many zones. What was said before cam across as rather haphazard training and does lead to people getting hurt. I like the idea of less zone specific too to help with simplicity, but also with introducing the idea of controlling the effort to some degree. A number of ways to do that too. One could be to give it at least a couple days of easy regardless of how one feels before doing something faster than easy again. Especially since this seemed to be in regards to running.

2016-04-11 4:43 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

This is one example of where training "like an elite" can benefit an age grouper. I realize this is in a way the opposite of what Ben is saying...but the reality is that without knowing all of yoru training history its pretty tough to suggest how to best continue making forward progress. if at some point you decided that you wanted to do most of your run training in zones 2 & 3, and now are finding that you can't run uphill outside of zone 3...IE you're in zone 4 or even *gasp* zone 5...what makes you want to then decide that running in zone 4/5 is what you should be doing instead? Competitive means what to you? who are you competing against when you go uphill over the HR zone you'd established for yourself? I'm not saying that you must adhere to lower HR zones when training, just asking some quesoitns that you can ask yourself to help gain confidence in what you've decided to do. I read a quote today that sounds like it fits...stick with one course of action to the end. IN this case, "to the end" may mean that you stop making consistent pace improvements when running in zone 3. Or keep up that run'walk pattern until you can run up the hill (not walk) in zone3. it will happen eventually. However, there are lots of different ways to train, adn maybe sprinting or jogging briskly up that hill is what will help you most right now. How do you know? The good news is that if you didnt' follow a plan before and now you're following ANY PLAN AT ALL...you'll probably improve. If youre improving, keep doing what youre doing until you're not improving. If you don't know whether or not your improving, the make a plan on your training calendar to test your current fitness appropriately and retest again. What's appropriate? if you're doing all zone 2/3 running you should probably do an efficiency test to establish a baseline rather than a 5k test. (but how do you set zones without doing a 5k test? ) You can do both. Do a 5k or 20min TT etst to set current zones. Train in those zones in whatever your plan suggests. If your goal is to train aerobically then do an aerobic test as well! restest your aerobic test and you'll see quick improvement. When you see improvement in the aerobic test, repeat the 5k test to see if you're zones have changed. Theres lots of ways to skin a cat. Mostly what others have said is true..be consistent, listen to your body. Don't compete with imaginary competitors, and dont confuse "run fast uphill" with a competitive spirit. A true competitive spirit is even more patient that it's desire to win.
I think the biggest limiter is not appropriate zone training right now but getting into a consistent routine of training. It's personally what I see with so many beginner triathletes, such as the case here. Second year, lack of consistency, etc. Zone training is added noise that at the time, might be too much outside of the simple, train as you feel method. With a fresh body with lots of low hanging fruit just going out, inducing a stress and adapting is all someone really needs. Later on you can incorporate zones, blocks, etc. Just my opinion with where this athlete is.

For me, this is one of the fun things about discussing training...two different experienced people coming at an issue from two different directions, and neither one is wrong.  They're both completely valid approaches.  Personally, my approach would be somewhere between the two.  I'd emphasize consistency in training for a few weeks using RPE, but wouldn't wait more than 3 or 4 weeks before I did some testing to begin to get a better handle on where the athlete's zones are.

2016-04-11 4:57 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TriMyBest

For me, this is one of the fun things about discussing training...two different experienced people coming at an issue from two different directions, and neither one is wrong.  They're both completely valid approaches.  Personally, my approach would be somewhere between the two.  I'd emphasize consistency in training for a few weeks using RPE, but wouldn't wait more than 3 or 4 weeks before I did some testing to begin to get a better handle on where the athlete's zones are.

Well they could both be wrong. Just saying ... 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training zones Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Anyone using Carmichael's training philosphy and training zones?

Started by nickwisconsin
Views: 2022 Posts: 5

2011-01-03 8:03 AM jmcconne

LT test and zone 2 training zone for long runs

Started by Simon de Kerpel
Views: 2517 Posts: 20

2006-11-02 10:53 AM mikericci

training zone question Pages: 1 2

Started by hangloose
Views: 2081 Posts: 30

2006-01-21 12:56 PM jknapman

Prefered training zone for Triathlons?

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 656 Posts: 5

2006-01-11 3:26 PM amiine

What are the HR Training Zones

Started by saunaking
Views: 774 Posts: 3

2005-06-09 1:58 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : September 6, 2011
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 16, 2008
author : CPT
Colorado Premier Training runs Aaron through a stepwise power test on a Velotron to collect baseline data for future position changes.

date : April 12, 2007
comments : 4
Warmup tips. Swim, bike and run pacing and heart-rate zones to be in by mileage.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 7, 2006
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.