BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-26 8:13 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
I have a Garmin 520. It is possible to reset the display to show fewer data fields, which results in each data field being bigger. I set it for race mode with power, time, distance, and speed, but the numbers are still a bit too small. Maybe I should set it to power only! It does record the data fields that aren't displayed, so you can avoid TMI while training or racing, then download it after the fact and geek out over the files. Another possibility is getting a different aerobottle setup and mounting it on top of the (horizontal) bottle. That seems to be popular with the small number of triathletes who get their bikes serviced at the local shop, and the owner actually suggested that. But it was not a cheap aerobottle, the horizontal model is even pricier, and am reluctant to spend the $ to get a new setup when mine works fine for hydration. Plus I could visualize a situation that might result in the ejection of the aerobottle and the Garmin. Our roads are not like those in developed countries!

I could justify prescription sunglasses for driving as well as reading at the beach, etc. Basic problem is I am very nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, plus astigmatism. I actually have normal distance vision if I keep both eyes open, but visual fatigue sets in really quickly for anything close-range, especially if there is too much/too little light, or I'm physically tired, which is pretty much the definition of a triathlon!

2016-05-26 8:24 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Well that monkey is finally off my back.  I'm talking to you, SRDP (yearly review process at work)!  DONE! REVIEWED!  I still have a job!

Speaking of coaches, I'm less than happy with mine at the moment.  While he's never been much of an emailer or communicator, this season he's dropped off what little he had done to nothing.  With my race this past weekend, I didn't receive any pre-race emails (I don't think I did last year, either) and no 'how'd things go" email afterward, even though in my race log I wrote comments about what I felt I could've done better or things I wasn't happy with.  Part of me wants to dump him, but yet I want/need his help (by him creating workouts and sort-of answering any questions I may have along the way) to get through the season.  I think next year he will be gone, I'll let him go.  I'm hoping to be able to maybe change to the coach my pal LT switched to this year; he is a complete 180 from my guy as far as feedback and communication, I just have to convince myself I'm worth it, LOL.

Speaking of worth it, what is the group's thought on power meters?  Current coach is selling a Stages crank-based (single leg) power meter and I'm thinking about it, maybe...

You are worth it. There. that is fixed. Dooo Eeeeet!

2016-05-26 8:31 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
You are worth it! What made my decision for me is that I actually spend about the same amount for my coach per month as I spend on coffee. Kind of an embarrassing admission, but it's pretty close to the truth. And it makes sense to pay for (even pay a bit more for) someone who actually does his/her job and gives you more added value over what you could figure out by yourself.
2016-05-26 8:32 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

For those of you that haven't been following along, Janyne and I and some others have been having a discussion in the Inspires/Blogs and such for a while on the value of "Social Networks", not in the Twitter/Facebook sense but in those networks of people that you know.  It has made me much more aware. I have found it really interesting. I believe that we are much deeper and connected in our network than it might appear when on the outside looking in. I want to just say thank you agiain for all that each of you brings to this little social network. And give a thought to Janyne's question: Are you getting what you expect/want/need from the group?

I've been reading a book -- Connecting to Change the World -- for work and participating in a discussion about it.  In my mind, I have been using the Manatees as my example social network.  One of the things that I found very interesting is that it pretty much explains why the mentor groups are a good thing (see also, Where Did all the BTers go?);-)

Anywho, this is what I wrote in my training blog about this last week.  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I've been reading a book for work called Connecting to Change the World and using the Manatees as my personal example as I think of the ideas discussed in the book.  The book is about building social networks to affect change.  One example is a network of city planners who created a group around sustainability and climate change.  They put together resources to help each other with planning around that topic.

One idea that comes up a a lot in the book is Value Proposition. Generosity of members - what do you want to get out of the network and what do you put into it?  So, using the Manatees as an example, what do I get out of the group?  What can I contribute?  My personal answer is: Getting to know people. Getting and giving support. Giving and receiving advice about s/b/r.  Support.  Connecting to a group of people who can relate.

If you are a Manatee, are you getting what you expect/want/need from the group?

All of those for me. I live in an area that is semi-remote, no gym or anything, lots of retirees. There is NO support, info, training partners, etc. I get all of that in groups like this. I could not and would not have ever attempted a tri without my first Mentor group. I love, love, love 'getting to know" new people of all ages, walks of life, levels of expertise, and locations that the Manatees provide.

2016-05-26 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow, great stuff in here this morning. I had to jump in before I head out to what will be a "read only" morning

Mel, make the switch.

Stacey, I love that you got to go to such a conference and that you are working to put it in to practice!!!

As for the group, I'll explain with an example... When talking with Coach Scott yesterday, on more than one occasion I referred to members of the Manatees, singly or collectively, as friends. With no stipulation that I've never met most of you in person. I can't imagine how much less I would have grown as an athlete these last few seasons without you all. {{group hug}}

As for the meeting with Coach, it went well. We are on the same page. He is going to put together a "proposal" of options i.e. gold, silver, bronze, for me by the weekend so we can fine tune. He was impressed with my current running base :D

2016-05-26 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Yes, but I feel like I'm a weak contributor though.  The problem I run into is that because this thread moves so fast  I find myself struggling on what to comment on, because I don't want people to feel left out.  TaN was really bad about that, and I don't want us to become that.  Because of all of that I choose to either comment on the more recent topic or not comment at all, hoping someone more active will keep the group involved.  Due to not commenting on other people's topics, I feel like I don't need to post as much about what I'm doing, because I don't want to be the "only posts about myself" guy.  Maybe I put too much pressure on myself.

This isn't a complaint about how active the group is, by the way.  It is great that it moves that fast, but with so many subthreads going on within the thread, we're almost better off with a FB group type format.  That way (unlike in a forum) you can at a glance see what people are saying much faster and join the conversation in a more streamline manner.

2016-05-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Wow, great stuff in here this morning. I had to jump in before I head out to what will be a "read only" morning

Mel, make the switch.

Stacey, I love that you got to go to such a conference and that you are working to put it in to practice!!!

As for the group, I'll explain with an example... When talking with Coach Scott yesterday, on more than one occasion I referred to members of the Manatees, singly or collectively, as friends. With no stipulation that I've never met most of you in person. I can't imagine how much less I would have grown as an athlete these last few seasons without you all. {{group hug}}

As for the meeting with Coach, it went well. We are on the same page. He is going to put together a "proposal" of options i.e. gold, silver, bronze, for me by the weekend so we can fine tune. He was impressed with my current running base :D

Woo hoo! I'm glad that your meeting went well.  How exciting!

And yes, you have quite a base going :-D

2016-05-26 9:22 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by msteiner

Yes, but I feel like I'm a weak contributor though.  The problem I run into is that because this thread moves so fast  I find myself struggling on what to comment on, because I don't want people to feel left out.  TaN was really bad about that, and I don't want us to become that.  Because of all of that I choose to either comment on the more recent topic or not comment at all, hoping someone more active will keep the group involved.  Due to not commenting on other people's topics, I feel like I don't need to post as much about what I'm doing, because I don't want to be the "only posts about myself" guy.  Maybe I put too much pressure on myself.

This isn't a complaint about how active the group is, by the way.  It is great that it moves that fast, but with so many subthreads going on within the thread, we're almost better off with a FB group type format.  That way (unlike in a forum) you can at a glance see what people are saying much faster and join the conversation in a more streamline manner.

You are definitely not a Post Only About Myself or Pop in Only When You Have a Race Coming Up and There's a Problem kinda member, not at all.  I think that we all know that you are paying attention because when we say something like, MS Matt has a power meter you jump right and and give power meter advice!  We'd love to hear more about what you're doing!

2016-05-26 9:23 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner You are worth it! What made my decision for me is that I actually spend about the same amount for my coach per month as I spend on coffee. Kind of an embarrassing admission, but it's pretty close to the truth. And it makes sense to pay for (even pay a bit more for) someone who actually does his/her job and gives you more added value over what you could figure out by yourself.

Janyne quickly calculates what she spends on coffee each month...

2016-05-26 9:25 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Katy, Texas
Lots going on with the pod! I'm sure I'm missing lots here...

Congrats Stacey!

TJ - good stuff with the coach!

On powermeters, IMO it's completely useless unless you plan on at least doing a FTP test prior to a race to use for pacing.

But to me the real value is using it to perform intervals. It instantly gives you a quantitative approach to your efforts. You can do all the 4x8, 2x20, 5x10, etc that you want, but if you're not measuring your output then you have no idea if you're executing them well (and improving from week to week, month to month). How hard is hard? With the power meter you know.

2016-05-26 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

You are definitely not a Post Only About Myself or Pop in Only When You Have a Race Coming Up and There's a Problem kinda member, not at all.  I think that we all know that you are paying attention because when we say something like, MS Matt has a power meter you jump right and and give power meter advice!  We'd love to hear more about what you're doing!

I agree, you are a contributor! You're putting too much pressure on yourself. Participation isn't necessarily about quantity of posts. Its more about reading and knowing what is going on outside out yourself. And you do that!
I think of this group very much like the tide. Sometimes I'm giving, sometimes I'm taking, sometimes I'm nowhere near the beach and I'm not even thinking about the tide. All of that is okay.

2016-05-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black Lots going on with the pod! I'm sure I'm missing lots here... Congrats Stacey! TJ - good stuff with the coach! On powermeters, IMO it's completely useless unless you plan on at least doing a FTP test prior to a race to use for pacing. But to me the real value is using it to perform intervals. It instantly gives you a quantitative approach to your efforts. You can do all the 4x8, 2x20, 5x10, etc that you want, but if you're not measuring your output then you have no idea if you're executing them well (and improving from week to week, month to month). How hard is hard? With the power meter you know.

Ditto to Stacey!

As for PM, **for me** your two paragraphs sum it up, but I interpret what you've written in an apparently different way.

The second part, about how hard is hard, is exactly what I've found useful in training (and I think the FTP testing is even more useful there).

For racing, though, I've been using my HR to stay at a targeted exertion level and my PM really only to avoid huge excursions (like looking at it after I hear cowbells - which really get me going - or pass someone or am on a hill to make sure I'm spiking silly Watts).  Different application during a race than training.

So, I suppose there are many ways to skin a cat - or justify getting a PM!!!

(of course, it's always fun to look at the data AFTER the race and see how the power numbers compare to what I thought I'd see for a given HR - THAT can be surprising)

Fun to see how people use them differently, too...

Matt

2016-05-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Jet Black Lots going on with the pod! I'm sure I'm missing lots here... Congrats Stacey! TJ - good stuff with the coach! On powermeters, IMO it's completely useless unless you plan on at least doing a FTP test prior to a race to use for pacing. But to me the real value is using it to perform intervals. It instantly gives you a quantitative approach to your efforts. You can do all the 4x8, 2x20, 5x10, etc that you want, but if you're not measuring your output then you have no idea if you're executing them well (and improving from week to week, month to month). How hard is hard? With the power meter you know.

Ditto to Stacey!

As for PM, **for me** your two paragraphs sum it up, but I interpret what you've written in an apparently different way.

The second part, about how hard is hard, is exactly what I've found useful in training (and I think the FTP testing is even more useful there).

For racing, though, I've been using my HR to stay at a targeted exertion level and my PM really only to avoid huge excursions (like looking at it after I hear cowbells - which really get me going - or pass someone or am on a hill to make sure I'm spiking silly Watts).  Different application during a race than training.

(of course, it's always fun to look at the data AFTER the race and see how the power numbers compare to what I thought I'd see for a given HR - THAT can be surprising)

Matt

Different distances call for different uses of the power meter.

For a sprint, it's likely the power meter is going to keep you honest from taking it too easy. This is a threshold effort and your tendency will be to want to back off as you're afraid you're over exerting yourself. But your training & powermeter will tell you otherwise.

Now in IM and HIM, use of a power meter is more about making sure you don't start out too hard or push those hills too much.

For an olympic - depends on how fit you are.
2016-05-26 11:05 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Every year or two I'll be a regular, but the volume is high enough that right now I'm just an observer.  I do come back when I have questions, and I like that the group is connected on Strava, Twitter, TrainerRoad, etc.

2016-05-26 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black

Ditto to Stacey!

Matt

Different distances call for different uses of the power meter. For a sprint, it's likely the power meter is going to keep you honest from taking it too easy. This is a threshold effort and your tendency will be to want to back off as you're afraid you're over exerting yourself. But your training & powermeter will tell you otherwise. Now in IM and HIM, use of a power meter is more about making sure you don't start out too hard or push those hills too much. For an olympic - depends on how fit you are.

LOL!  I suspect Monday will see me using my PM only in retrospect (I won't be able to bear looking at it during the race - too depressing!).  Totally agree...

M

2016-05-26 11:10 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I hate my power meter and I'll tell you why: It tells me I can't pedal consistently to save my life. And it's right.

That being said I'm told the key to having a good run at HIM or IM distance is pedaling consistently. SO I have a lot of work to do and I'm not happy about it. Also, it tells me that I'm not as strong a rider as I think I am which is no fun. FYI I have a P2M and it's been working just great - it's me that is broken.

So really it is a great objective tool and it's not subject to heart rate fluctuations etc of an HRM - there is no warm up or cool down time it's ON or OFF.

In other news, yadda yadda yadda the temps here are going from the 70s to the 90s in a matter of days. The AC is on!

Stay safe all!

2016-05-26 11:14 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I have been keeping up with the posts and will try to give my opinion/input when I get home...
2016-05-26 11:50 AM

Master
Northern IL

Then there is the opposite of that, nitpick on every little thing people are doing.

I've been busier with other things and have some shift in interests, so been on less. Still check in every now and then. Hoping to catch things, but the speed could make that interesting at times. This group is really the only part I have been on the boards for.

2016-05-26 11:58 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I hate my power meter and I'll tell you why: It tells me I can't pedal consistently to save my life. And it's right. That being said I'm told the key to having a good run at HIM or IM distance is pedaling consistently. SO I have a lot of work to do and I'm not happy about it. Also, it tells me that I'm not as strong a rider as I think I am which is no fun. FYI I have a P2M and it's been working just great - it's me that is broken. So really it is a great objective tool and it's not subject to heart rate fluctuations etc of an HRM - there is no warm up or cool down time it's ON or OFF. In other news, yadda yadda yadda the temps here are going from the 70s to the 90s in a matter of days. The AC is on! Stay safe all!

What do you mean by "consistently"? I have read that men tend to stop pedaling more than women. Are you changing cadence a lot? Or completely stopping?

My low cost, fun fix for cadence issues has been a fixed gear bike. It taught me how lazy I am.

2016-05-26 12:00 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I like the group and often find it quite inspiring to read others triumphs - being a 5k, IM or ultra. I also really like the strava leaderboard

2016-05-26 12:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black

Ditto to Stacey!

Matt

Different distances call for different uses of the power meter. For a sprint, it's likely the power meter is going to keep you honest from taking it too easy. This is a threshold effort and your tendency will be to want to back off as you're afraid you're over exerting yourself. But your training & powermeter will tell you otherwise. Now in IM and HIM, use of a power meter is more about making sure you don't start out too hard or push those hills too much. For an olympic - depends on how fit you are.

The powermeter really gives you an objective look at your output right now. That more instant feedback really helps push it up over HR for pacing. They'll help keep the effort level more balanced, or even varied if that's what is desired. I've seen how there is a shift in feeling around 1:30-2:00 in the shorter and harder intervals as there is the change in dominant energy system, or getting up high in VO. The objective part helps by dropping everything else out. That can also hurt at times too. If it's 110 out or you've been sleeping poorly for a week, power won't care. It'll be down as it only takes into account stress related to the pedaling output. HR can take things like this into account, where it's harder to create that same output.

Then there is all the analysis potential afterward.

2016-05-26 12:04 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I hate my power meter and I'll tell you why: It tells me I can't pedal consistently to save my life. And it's right. That being said I'm told the key to having a good run at HIM or IM distance is pedaling consistently. SO I have a lot of work to do and I'm not happy about it. Also, it tells me that I'm not as strong a rider as I think I am which is no fun. FYI I have a P2M and it's been working just great - it's me that is broken. So really it is a great objective tool and it's not subject to heart rate fluctuations etc of an HRM - there is no warm up or cool down time it's ON or OFF. In other news, yadda yadda yadda the temps here are going from the 70s to the 90s in a matter of days. The AC is on! Stay safe all!

What do you mean by "consistently"? I have read that men tend to stop pedaling more than women. Are you changing cadence a lot? Or completely stopping?

My low cost, fun fix for cadence issues has been a fixed gear bike. It taught me how lazy I am.

Curious about that too. Second to second readings aren't going to be perfectly flat. Mine still have plenty of sawtooth action.

ETA: Also, regarding the no fun and rider strength, remember that the end result is the speed. Power tends to be a better way to track fitness and plan your training efforts due to the previously mentioned objectivity whereas speed is greatly influenced by a number of external factors. If you're riding fast, then you are a strong rider regardless of what the power output says. There are a lot of guys who would not have trouble matching or beating Kristin Armstrong's gold medal TT power output. There are not that many who would have have finished before her though.

Edited by brigby1 2016-05-26 12:12 PM
2016-05-26 12:24 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Warning: the below might seem like self-horn-tooting (so feel free to just pass on by), but it's really about how lucky I am to work at a great place.  Not tri related, but thought I'd share...

My company just tweeted this from the Cancer Research and Prevention Institute of Texas (CPRIT), from whom we have and are just finishing a grant to use next generation sequencing (NGS) to diagnose and direct treatment in cancer.

Only a part of what we do, but a fun part.  I'm very lucky to be able to work someplace where the product is good ONLY when it helps people.  Having been personally affected recently, it's even more weird/great to work on this stuff (we are hopefully about to have the first FDA cleared test in blood cancer, in addition to the NGS products above, and that's from what my mother recently passed).

Sorry if it seems like bragging or such, but there aren't many groups of folks with whom I even CAN share something as geeky/goofy!

Matt

2016-05-26 12:28 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr I have been keeping up with the posts and will try to give my opinion/input when I get home...

Yeah, I find it hard to do much more than read along when I am on the road.  I hope that you are having a great holiday (FYI, I was corrected, when I called it a "vacation" last week! LOL!)

2016-05-26 12:29 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Warning: the below might seem like self-horn-tooting (so feel free to just pass on by), but it's really about how lucky I am to work at a great place.  Not tri related, but thought I'd share...

My company just tweeted this from the Cancer Research and Prevention Institute of Texas (CPRIT), from whom we have and are just finishing a grant to use next generation sequencing (NGS) to diagnose and direct treatment in cancer.

Only a part of what we do, but a fun part.  I'm very lucky to be able to work someplace where the product is good ONLY when it helps people.  Having been personally affected recently, it's even more weird/great to work on this stuff (we are hopefully about to have the first FDA cleared test in blood cancer, in addition to the NGS products above, and that's from what my mother recently passed).

Sorry if it seems like bragging or such, but there aren't many groups of folks with whom I even CAN share something as geeky/goofy!

Matt

OK, I understood about 10% of that, but you have a great job at a great company!

Not the voice/accent I was expecting.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.