BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-26 12:30 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I hate my power meter and I'll tell you why: It tells me I can't pedal consistently to save my life. And it's right. That being said I'm told the key to having a good run at HIM or IM distance is pedaling consistently. SO I have a lot of work to do and I'm not happy about it. Also, it tells me that I'm not as strong a rider as I think I am which is no fun. FYI I have a P2M and it's been working just great - it's me that is broken. So really it is a great objective tool and it's not subject to heart rate fluctuations etc of an HRM - there is no warm up or cool down time it's ON or OFF. In other news, yadda yadda yadda the temps here are going from the 70s to the 90s in a matter of days. The AC is on! Stay safe all!

What do you mean by "consistently"? I have read that men tend to stop pedaling more than women. Are you changing cadence a lot? Or completely stopping?

My low cost, fun fix for cadence issues has been a fixed gear bike. It taught me how lazy I am.

Yeah, I posted in my blog about Coach Lisa requesting that I report cadence.  I had an olden speed/cadence sensor and the magnets were always getting out of alignment, etc.  I got a magnetless one and that has corrected that issue.  Sadly, I'm still a masher at heart.

2016-05-26 12:32 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL I like the group and often find it quite inspiring to read others triumphs - being a 5k, IM or ultra. I also really like the strava leaderboard

I agree!  I think that Strava has been a nice addition to the group, giving an overview of what everyone is doing. "Oh, he hasn't been posting much because he is on his bike during all waking hours," etc.  That being said, it's nice to have more info in the BT training log.  For example, more blog type stuff about your life or your swim set (so that I can totally steal it), etc.

2016-05-26 12:44 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Warning: the below might seem like self-horn-tooting (so feel free to just pass on by), but it's really about how lucky I am to work at a great place.  Not tri related, but thought I'd share...

My company just tweeted this from the Cancer Research and Prevention Institute of Texas (CPRIT), from whom we have and are just finishing a grant to use next generation sequencing (NGS) to diagnose and direct treatment in cancer.

Only a part of what we do, but a fun part.  I'm very lucky to be able to work someplace where the product is good ONLY when it helps people.  Having been personally affected recently, it's even more weird/great to work on this stuff (we are hopefully about to have the first FDA cleared test in blood cancer, in addition to the NGS products above, and that's from what my mother recently passed).

Sorry if it seems like bragging or such, but there aren't many groups of folks with whom I even CAN share something as geeky/goofy!

Matt

Congratulations!  I think that everyone here would agree that Cancer Sucks and it's awesome to see you fighting on behalf of those affected.

2016-05-26 12:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Warning: the below might seem like self-horn-tooting (so feel free to just pass on by), but it's really about how lucky I am to work at a great place.  Not tri related, but thought I'd share...

My company just tweeted this from the Cancer Research and Prevention Institute of Texas (CPRIT), from whom we have and are just finishing a grant to use next generation sequencing (NGS) to diagnose and direct treatment in cancer.

Only a part of what we do, but a fun part.  I'm very lucky to be able to work someplace where the product is good ONLY when it helps people.  Having been personally affected recently, it's even more weird/great to work on this stuff (we are hopefully about to have the first FDA cleared test in blood cancer, in addition to the NGS products above, and that's from what my mother recently passed).

Sorry if it seems like bragging or such, but there aren't many groups of folks with whom I even CAN share something as geeky/goofy!

Matt

I'm pleased to learn you are part of this shift in cancer treatments.  We had begun the process for my dad but unfortunately it took too long (for him) for the DNA results to get processed, then for the doctor to comb through the findings to ascertain the best way to attack Dad's particular cancers.  I truly feel this is the future of cancer research and treatment.  Thank you for all your work in the effort to beat f-ing cancer.  Thank you.  And no, there's no horn-tooting there, it's important work that deserves to be recognized!

Edited by melbo55 2016-05-26 12:47 PM
2016-05-26 1:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Matt

I'm pleased to learn you are part of this shift in cancer treatments.  We had begun the process for my dad but unfortunately it took too long (for him) for the DNA results to get processed, then for the doctor to comb through the findings to ascertain the best way to attack Dad's particular cancers.  I truly feel this is the future of cancer research and treatment.  Thank you for all your work in the effort to beat f-ing cancer.  Thank you.  And no, there's no horn-tooting there, it's important work that deserves to be recognized!

x2 !

:) How cool to be in the forefront of such developments. I sure hope this type of treatment will become widely available.

Edited by ceilidh 2016-05-26 4:46 PM
2016-05-26 1:33 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by melbo55

Matt

x2 !

Your CEO has some bodacious eyebrows How cool to be in the forefront of such developments. I sure hope this type of treatment will become widely available.

Awesome stuff, congrats and thank you for being a part of this.

2016-05-26 2:01 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Regarding the community/getting out/getting in discussion.  I am way less chatty than I was when I first joined.  I read every post, but don't always find the time to respond.  Part of the reason for that is that certain members of the pod have inspired me to get out and do more stuff.  I used to come home from work/training and flop on the couch and watch TV.  One day after Salty posted her latest adventure, I thought to myself, she works all week to be able to play on the weekend, I rest all weekend to be able to work all week.  I realized that something was wrong here, so made some changes.  Not big adventures, but just the little things. 

In spite of the fact that I am not super involved in the chatter, I consider you all my support peeps.  I love hearing about others' successes and struggles and post when I feel I can be helpful.  I guess to answer the question of whether I am getting what I need: yes for sure.  I don't think I can say I give as much as I get, but often that is because I don't feel as though have a ton to contribute.  I chime in where I think I do have something useful.  My SO often complains that getting me to chat is like pulling teeth. 

2016-05-26 3:29 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I hate my power meter and I'll tell you why: It tells me I can't pedal consistently to save my life. And it's right. That being said I'm told the key to having a good run at HIM or IM distance is pedaling consistently. SO I have a lot of work to do and I'm not happy about it. Also, it tells me that I'm not as strong a rider as I think I am which is no fun. FYI I have a P2M and it's been working just great - it's me that is broken. So really it is a great objective tool and it's not subject to heart rate fluctuations etc of an HRM - there is no warm up or cool down time it's ON or OFF. In other news, yadda yadda yadda the temps here are going from the 70s to the 90s in a matter of days. The AC is on! Stay safe all!

What do you mean by "consistently"? I have read that men tend to stop pedaling more than women. Are you changing cadence a lot? Or completely stopping?

My low cost, fun fix for cadence issues has been a fixed gear bike. It taught me how lazy I am.

Yeah, I posted in my blog about Coach Lisa requesting that I report cadence.  I had an olden speed/cadence sensor and the magnets were always getting out of alignment, etc.  I got a magnetless one and that has corrected that issue.  Sadly, I'm still a masher at heart.

I'm a masher too. I learned it mountain biking - POWER your way through stuff. It's hard to break.

ok so this is the first time I've used a power meter (outside) and coach says 'go ride in zone 2" and I find that with the change in terrain or a strong wind, I cannot stay consistent. I know it takes practice but that's kinda what I was referring to. My cadence is consistently high 70s to low 80s but my watts are ALL over the place.

you bring up a good point - perhaps I need a fixie!
2016-05-26 3:33 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Matt

That's really exciting!! Be PROUD!
2016-05-26 4:03 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Thank you everyone for your tips and thoughts on power meters.  I think it was MS Matt who mentioned it is worthless without someone who will read it - I agree.  I was looking toward the future, not my current situation.  Speaking of my current situation, I'm in the process of deciding if I'm dumping my coach starting in June.  This is causing some apprehension as I have a HM mid-June I'm training for, not to mention events in July-Oct.  I've got some thinking to do on both coaches and power meters!

2016-05-26 4:09 PM
in reply to: #5176537

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Randee, you need more bikes!!!

2016-05-26 4:26 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Matt

OK, I understood about 10% of that, but you have a great job at a great company!

Not the voice/accent I was expecting.

I 2nd all of what Chris said, plus I had your accent as a Mike Myers Scottish accent for some reason. It makes me laugh sometimes when I finally hear a Manatee speak, like the first time I heard Yanti's voice totally threw me. I'm still waiting to hear Janyne voice. I won't humiliate myself by telling you what I think she sounds like Good work on the cancer front though.
2016-05-26 5:19 PM
in reply to: #5176537

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
At home, I have a thick brogue. Matches the eyebrows... Thanks all for the comments. Like I said, I feel lucky to be able to do this as a job.

As for the community discussion, been thinking about that a lot. Like some others, I've jumped in and out, with participation varying by both how much I'm into training and what else is going on in "life" (two sides of one coin, I suppose).

What's interesting to me is how much I miss the conversation and sense of community even when I'm reading along but not participating (rather than just when I haven't been able to follow along). It's almost a wistful feeling - like watching friends play outside when you were a kid but having to stay in for some reason and not hang out with them.

The reflection has made me rethink what connectivity actually means these days, at least to me... I've only met a handful of BTers, and even fewer manatees - yet I come back here more than I go to ST (like someone else pointed out, that's more of a reading site for me than a community feel).

I think this was asked a couple threads back, and again as a secondary question here, but how active are y'all on other social media sites? I fell off the FB thing, but am getting back to it recently. I've also gotten into Twitter, even though that started at work (marketing initiative across Twitter, LinkedIn, the website, etc.).

I'd like to be more of a contributor on this thread (common theme), but also find it sometimes hard to keep up (and I often find someone else has made my point even more eloquently than I could). In some ways, this thread has helped keep the tri-fire simmering this past year while I explored some other interests, for which I'm also grateful.

Manatees rock.

M
2016-05-26 5:45 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by jmkizer

I'm a masher too. I learned it mountain biking - POWER your way through stuff. It's hard to break. ok so this is the first time I've used a power meter (outside) and coach says 'go ride in zone 2" and I find that with the change in terrain or a strong wind, I cannot stay consistent. I know it takes practice but that's kinda what I was referring to. My cadence is consistently high 70s to low 80s but my watts are ALL over the place. you bring up a good point - perhaps I need a fixie!

Ok, yeah. I've had the same thing too. Most tend to know to push a little going uphill. Found that I was trying to push like 450-500 in the early going. Coming from the same background with off-road riding, that really doesn't feel like much of anything for like 15 seconds. Then power would fade all the way down to like 270-280 over the next couple minutes. Probably in the ball park of FTP at the time, but it felt really hard because I had hit it so much harder in the early going.

I still tend to do best when working in the 80's for cadence too. I can execute workouts much higher, but still do best down here. I can be very smooth up to 140-150 at times (the 194 wasn't exactly pretty). The 1' or less intervals can be entirely over 100. The 3-4' interval vids can be all over the place. Longer term, I still do best down some from average. Even when going easier, HR takes a noticeable bump when more than a couple rpm above 90. Would still encourage to work on being capable in a wide range, but still watch what works best. That tends to be what you want to work around more often.

An interesting thing on the mountain bike being mashers though is that more top level riders tend to spin quite a bit too. I've seen it in watching some. My brother can regularly go out with all level Cat riders and some pros. He sees it a lot.

2016-05-26 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Matt

That's really exciting!! Be PROUD!

Here, here!

2016-05-26 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
With regards to community I think of you all as friends, and I refer to you as such in conversations. On days were I don't get to read what you are all up to I feel like I have missed something.

I am a very introverted person and I find chit chatting with people very difficult and emotionally draining. To borrow a phrase from Mr Darcy "I am not blessed with the happy manners that make it easy to converse with strangers". I don't have that problem at all with you, I don't think of you as strangers but as part of my inner circle. I can share things with you that I can't with others.

I do sometimes feel that I don't have enough to contribute to the group and I am always 12 hours or so behind the conversation because of where I live but you don't seem to mind when I throw comments in well after the thread has moved on (or if you do you don't complain).

For me my Manatee friends make me want to be a better version of myself and help and inspire me to achieve that. You also give me advice to help and inspire others to do it. So thanks to the Manatees there are now 4 more middle age women who have found the joy of running that otherwise never would have. When my Mum, K and E thank me for inspiring them they are really thanking you all because you are the ones that inspire me.

May God Bless you all.

2016-05-26 7:20 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by brigby1

>An interesting thing on the mountain bike being mashers though is that more top level riders tend to spin quite a bit too. I've seen it in watching some. My brother can regularly go out with all level Cat riders and some pros. He sees it a lot.

well I never said I was good at it

2016-05-26 8:45 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I think this was asked a couple threads back, and again as a secondary question here, but how active are y'all on other social media sites? I fell off the FB thing, but am getting back to it recently. I've also gotten into Twitter, even though that started at work (marketing initiative across Twitter, LinkedIn, the website, etc.). I'd like to be more of a contributor on this thread (common theme), but also find it sometimes hard to keep up (and I often find someone else has made my point even more eloquently than I could). In some ways, this thread has helped keep the tri-fire simmering this past year while I explored some other interests, for which I'm also grateful. Manatees rock. M

I have begun to take to Instagram more, since a picture is worth 100 words. And I like to win stuff. Honestly though, I do find myself using what I call the big 3 (InstaTwitFace) more and more. For different things like work, training, life, etc. Linked In is less, since it is mostly a "work" based site. I thought about it a while back and figured out I better get on the bus or risk standing around while watching the bus leave. On this thread I find that I throw in a little something here or there until something winds up in my wheelhouse. I have a vast reserve of non-technical training ideas.  Most of which are useless!  Which flies in the face of the recent PM discussion. So, I keep mostly quiet on the PM front (maybe stir it up a bit) and wait until someone throws me a softball. One of the other aspets of this group that I really like is the vast demographic and geographic differences. I get to see every side of a question in here and I am really grateful we are comfortable enough with each other to ask questions from all different views. Age, gender, location, all of it makes our viewpoints unique and it is cool to see this played out in such a civil discourse as this. And it has forced me to open up my mind in many ways, which is something I am also grateful for.

By the way, you are way more eloquent than you give yourself credit for.

2016-05-26 8:54 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK

For me my Manatee friends make me want to be a better version of myself and help and inspire me to achieve that. You also give me advice to help and inspire others to do it. So thanks to the Manatees there are now 4 more middle age women who have found the joy of running that otherwise never would have. When my Mum, K and E thank me for inspiring them they are really thanking you all because you are the ones that inspire me. May God Bless you all.

Stacey, it is kind of funny that one part of a different discussion I am having in a different place is that you never know the affect you have on someone else. You've made my point quite well, and I thank you for the input.  We touch people all the time, it is cool to know that we even touch those we have never met! 

2016-05-26 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by StaceyK

For me my Manatee friends make me want to be a better version of myself and help and inspire me to achieve that. You also give me advice to help and inspire others to do it. So thanks to the Manatees there are now 4 more middle age women who have found the joy of running that otherwise never would have. When my Mum, K and E thank me for inspiring them they are really thanking you all because you are the ones that inspire me. May God Bless you all.

Stacey, it is kind of funny that one part of a different discussion I am having in a different place is that you never know the affect you have on someone else. You've made my point quite well, and I thank you for the input.  We touch people all the time, it is cool to know that we even touch those we have never met! 

It is amazing the impact that we have on others even when we are just quietly going about our business. We never know the impact that we might have. There are many people in my life that inspire me to be a better person and do things just by their example, the Manatees are some of them.
2016-05-27 7:20 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Katy, Texas
I love checking in to see what the manatees are doing. I've always been more of a lurker on every forum I've ever been on. Yes, sometimes it is overwhelming because you want to respond to everyone's questions/brags/difficulties, but time rarely allows that. I try not to let it keep me from responding at all and just do the best I can to hit a few topics here and there.

On the question of other social media, I'm on zero of the big ones. I've been on forums for probably 15 years now though. What I like about them is there's one for whatever interests you. As my hobbies/interests change over the years the time I spend on the respective forums changes as well. The great thing about forums is everyone on the forum has something in common, and thus the conversations are always interesting.

I have to say I'm about to break down and get an instagram account though. I always enjoy looking through my wife's when I'm on the ipad at the house, and even have her following quite a few triathlon folks now too lol. Guess it's time for me to get one for myself, but not sure how much actual posting I'll do.

2016-05-27 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 I think this was asked a couple threads back, and again as a secondary question here, but how active are y'all on other social media sites? I fell off the FB thing, but am getting back to it recently. I've also gotten into Twitter, even though that started at work (marketing initiative across Twitter, LinkedIn, the website, etc.). I'd like to be more of a contributor on this thread (common theme), but also find it sometimes hard to keep up (and I often find someone else has made my point even more eloquently than I could). In some ways, this thread has helped keep the tri-fire simmering this past year while I explored some other interests, for which I'm also grateful. Manatees rock. M

I'm not very active on social media, although I do have accounts with FB, twitter and LinkdN.  I've never tweeted and it is months in between times I check it. LinkedIn is something I only remember I have when someone sends me a connection request or it otherwise contacts me about something.  I check FB everyday as it is a way my running program communicates.  As a result, I've gotten a little bit more active with my personal FB page, but it is still a pretty minuscule amount. I keep seeing Instagram pictures posted on FB, but I'm really not too sure what Instagram is!!  

2016-05-27 8:25 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, I feel like I am getting what I need/want out of the group and BT in general. There are very few other triathletes here in Saigon (for a few years I was pretty much the only woman in the city who regularly did triathlons, and even now there are maybe five or six of us, but we don't train together for various reasons like paces, work schedules, and where we live (big city with horrid traffic, and expats concentrated in two widely separated areas). So for me this is pretty much the only group of triathlete "friends" I have who can understand things like peeing in your wetsuit, taper madness, or the miracle of breaking 200 on an FTP test. (The one time I have well and truly bragged--at my size and lack of bike talent, that felt WORSE than a half-ironman!)

I try to share knowledge/experience if I feel like I have it, which admittedly is not often. I do feel like I don't pull my weight as far as "inspires" and the like--just don't have time to go into people's logs--I can hardly keep up my own! Working full time plus graduate coursework for 18 months (finished last December) plus training for mainly HIM for the past two years has meant some really long, over-full days. I am pretty much done for by the end of the day! It's a good evening if I can get my own training logged and not leave dirty dishes in the sink or forget to feed the cats.....Feel free to not inspire me as I'm not good at returning the favor!

BT is pretty much the only social media I regularly use over the past few years. I don't do FB or Twitter, have looked at SlowTwitch occasionally when i want more technical info, but I don't like the vibe over there much. In the past I have been active on some sites related to other interests like adventure travel (I went to a lot of remote areas back when I lived in China), not so much these days. Not a technophobe, just kind of a private person who enjoys leading a quiet life with a constant barrage of incoming and outgoing information.
2016-05-27 8:49 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Katy, Texas
On slowtwitch, it's definitely not as friendly as BT is, but it's still fun. But my perspective is probably different than some because slowtwitch is actually pretty tame compared to a couple of other forums I'm on. You've just got to know what you can post and what you can't to avoid the dogpile.
2016-05-27 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So for TJ's lunch and learn I am going to talk about some military related holidays (in the US) and such...

We recently had Armed Forces Day. It's the third Saturday of May and honors active military.

Memorial Day, as  most know, is the last Monday in May and honors those fallen in the line of duty.

Veterans Day always falls on November 11 and honors those who have served in the past.

Some of you may have seen the Blue Star Moms flag, it is flown by Mom's who have a child serving in war time. If there is more than one star on the flag that mom has more than one kid serving.

A gold star mom is something I never want to achieve. She has lost a child in battle. My eyes fill with tears every time I see this flag.

Thanks for reading. "Happy" Memorial Day all.

(blue star mom flag.jpg)

(gold star mom flag.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
blue star mom flag.jpg (1KB - 5 downloads)
gold star mom flag.jpg (3KB - 4 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.