of 4

2016-07-19 12:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Defining FOP/MOP/BOP
Originally posted by Left Brain

>The best compliments I get on him have NOTHING to do with racing.....they always come in the form of "man, it's cool the way your kid sticks around and high fives everyone"....or "I notice that your kid never just takes his award and leaves. he sticks around to clap for everyone"....or "it's refreshing to see your son being so nice to the kids handing out water when he runs by......what a difference from most of these do/uchebags out here" (that's actually an exact quote)

I think it's so cool that people do triathlon.....I have enjoyed it for many years and have found that I enjoy sitting in a chair watching a race and drinking a beer about the same. 

LB
It's going to be a bit boring for you with Junior about to go to school and doing fewer tri races. Running in college will be fun for him. He's super talented and it's been fun hearing of his achievements over the years. Good to hear his best attributes aren't physical. Didn't your daughter do archery or something?

I know there is more in the LB crew...so we all expect more updates...and more controversy, of course

2016-07-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dtoce
Originally posted by Left Brain >The best compliments I get on him have NOTHING to do with racing.....they always come in the form of "man, it's cool the way your kid sticks around and high fives everyone"....or "I notice that your kid never just takes his award and leaves. he sticks around to clap for everyone"....or "it's refreshing to see your son being so nice to the kids handing out water when he runs by......what a difference from most of these do/uchebags out here" (that's actually an exact quote)

I think it's so cool that people do triathlon.....I have enjoyed it for many years and have found that I enjoy sitting in a chair watching a race and drinking a beer about the same. 

LB It's going to be a bit boring for you with Junior about to go to school and doing fewer tri races. Running in college will be fun for him. He's super talented and it's been fun hearing of his achievements over the years. Good to hear his best attributes aren't physical. Didn't your daughter do archery or something? I know there is more in the LB crew...so we all expect more updates...and more controversy, of course

Yeah, one of my twin girls killed a deer with a bow her first time in a tree stand when she was 14.  I think that makes her >2 of the FOP of deer hunters......but I gotta check the chart.

(FOP.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
FOP.jpg (70KB - 2 downloads)
2016-07-19 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain >The best compliments I get on him have NOTHING to do with racing.....they always come in the form of "man, it's cool the way your kid sticks around and high fives everyone"....or "I notice that your kid never just takes his award and leaves. he sticks around to clap for everyone"....or "it's refreshing to see your son being so nice to the kids handing out water when he runs by......what a difference from most of these do/uchebags out here" (that's actually an exact quote)

LB It's going to be a bit boring for you with Junior about to go to school and doing fewer tri races. Running in college will be fun for him. He's super talented and it's been fun hearing of his achievements over the years. Good to hear his best attributes aren't physical. Didn't your daughter do archery or something? I know there is more in the LB crew...so we all expect more updates...and more controversy, of course

Yeah, one of my twin girls killed a deer with a bow her first time in a tree stand when she was 14.  I think that makes her >2 of the FOP of deer hunters......but I gotta check the chart.

and your family seemed so nice when I met them. sigh.

2016-07-19 12:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
I think you and I have a different view point is all. I look at the Thursday night bowler that has a 195* average, and I think it's pretty impressive and I think that guy has a right to be proud of his achievement. Same thing for the woman who has a really good handicap at the very top of amateurs. I don't look at those people negatively. I think the top 1% of just about any activity (outside of the pro world) is filled with people that have dedicated consistent hours day after day, week after week. I admire the heck out of that and feel they have the right to be proud.

I look at world class or pros in any event and it's a disconnect. It's just a different group of people, so there are no comparisons (maybe you're not like that and can't see it).

The thing the top armatures in any event (skiing, soccer, tennis, triathlon, bowling, painting, piano, whatever) is that they show me what we can all do if we really dedicate ourselves to it. The pros don't. That's who I celebrate and aspire to.

So I look up to the guy who wins local triathlons more than the guy who wins national ones. Because I can't relate to the second, but I can relate to the first. He's a normal guy who got fast, not a genetic anomaly that got REALLY fast.

It won't make me feel slow "when" I compare myself to those guys. It won't make me feel anything. It's just different. Like comparing a bike to a run or a car to a bike. I don't care what those "fast" guys do. It doesn't affect me. It's a different plane. Maybe you did that and that's why you have such a chip on your shoulder.

*I don't know if that number is right, I don't know much about bowling, but the point was, what a top amateur bowler would average, so whatever that number is.

ETA: Fixed the bowling score.

Edited by 3mar 2016-07-19 1:08 PM
2016-07-19 12:41 PM
in reply to: dtoce

I just have to share this.....
I don't know if LB was there or involved...I only 'met' him on this forum. Certainly neither would recall it if we had met.

But many many moons ago, I participated in a recreational sports-related (nothing remotely close to tri) endeavor comprised of people associated with LB...possibly LB himself.
Specifically rec-league. The kind of rec-league where the goal is to participate in the activity with associates and responsibly enjoy an adult beverage or two after. Except, not me. I was in high school. I was asked to fill in.

And let me tell you...I did it twice, and swore never to do it again. Those guys took it pretty darn serious. Wayyyyyyyy serious.

However....that being said, I'm sure their intent was to simply play hard and have some fun doing it.

Man, I was downright skeered and intimidated halfway through the first time. Not sure why I agreed the second time, but I'm guessing it had to do with trying to make my high school girlfriend's dad like me.
2016-07-19 12:42 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
She looks proud. Didn't you explain to her that since it isn't a record of any sort that it doesn't matter? Don't tell me you kept the antlers or head as a trophy...

2016-07-19 12:55 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by 3mar

*I don't know if that number is right, I don't know much about bowling, but the point was, what a top amateur bowler would average, so whatever that number is.

My Friday night bowling team from years ago was pretty good. We all had averages in the 190's. You needed 190+ in multiple leagues at the time to be eligible for a pro-bowler card, and it might be 200 now. I think the type of league had something to do with it too. Sadly, everyone on that team, except me*, has rolled a perfect game since we stopped playing in that league, oh 30+ years ago. Several of them continue to bowl weekly even now. And yes, they are definitely 'beer leaguers', although they certainly strived to be 'weekend warriors' during tournament time, even Shawn, with six 300 games to his credit!!

(*I was one pin away-twice. I hate the number 289 for that reason-ha!)

2016-07-19 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

She looks proud. Didn't you explain to her that since it isn't a record of any sort that it doesn't matter? Don't tell me you kept the antlers or head as a trophy...

Buck fawns do not have "antlers".

Still a fine trophy for a kid. Congrats to the hunter.
2016-07-19 1:01 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Also, the graphs should shift for the ladies. Not by a ton - i do reflect as pretty MOP to BOP on your charts but then triathlons tend to be 60-70% men for most of the races I've done. When looking at gender-specific i am less BOP to more MOP, depending. 

2016-07-19 1:06 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by juniperjen

Also, the graphs should shift for the ladies. Not by a ton - i do reflect as pretty MOP to BOP on your charts but then triathlons tend to be 60-70% men for most of the races I've done. When looking at gender-specific i am less BOP to more MOP, depending. 

USAT scores are adjusted for women, so I don't think they'd need to change. The times would though, and % of finishers, you are correct.
2016-07-19 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

USAT scores are adjusted for women, so I don't think they'd need to change. The times would though, and % of finishers, you are correct.

yeah, the women are calculated separately aren't they?

2016-07-19 1:28 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dmiller5

yeah, the women are calculated separately aren't they?

They are either calculated separately or scaled, I'm not sure which.
2016-07-19 1:53 PM

User image

Pro

and your family seemed so nice when I met them. sigh.

Dave - every kid in the neighborhood her age was and is afraid of her........including the boys.  I swear, there is NO accounting for what kids like.  That one with the deer is HANDS DOWN the best athlete in the family, with an absolute cut throat attitude to go with it.  She's 5'10 now and coaches watch her in gym class and drool.  She won't play.  She rides horses........I hate horses.

(jump1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
jump1.jpg (116KB - 3 downloads)
2016-07-19 3:05 PM

I hate horses.

Of course. They cost A FORTUNE. At least that's what I gather from a friend who's daughter just placed highly in the 3'3" at Nationals The cost makes the money spent on bikes and races look like chump change. Let alone, the travel for human and beast.

Of course, I have no idea what 3'3" is. I assume it's a height. And if horse business is anything like cheerleading or dance, there seems to be a "Nationals" just about every single weekend.

2016-07-19 3:11 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Pro

In my next life I am giving each of my children a ball of twine to play with.....that's it.  They can be FOP in that.

2016-07-19 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

In my next life I am giving each of my children a ball of twine to play with.....that's it.  They can be FOP in that.

Then there will be sewing lessons, sewing camps, specialized titanium needles, the Regional Twine Rug and Drapery Championships, and the building of an addition to store 1000 different colors of twine.

You guys never do anything half-a$$ed.

2016-07-19 3:20 PM

That's what I tell my kids they're getting for Christmas. A board with a nail in it. And if they're real good all year, they'll get a piece of string to tie to it to pull it around.

Ahhh....who am I kidding. I saved up $1000 of 'gig' money that I earned to buy a bike and felt bad about it.
Yet, I gladly stroke out that amount a couple times a year for my kids to play lacrosse, or go to Germany as an exchange student, or spend easily that amount on cereal each week. My lord!

I heard noises at 2 AM one night. Got up. The middle-schooler and grade schooler were both having bad dreams....each shouting the same thing. "Stop. Get away from me!" Hundred bucks says they were dreaming about fighting with each other. Got them settled down. Still heard noises.

Went downstairs and the high schooler....is eating.....a spoon for a bowl of Cheerios in one hand and his other hand in a bag of Doritos.
At 2 AM.
2016-07-19 3:29 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by jhaack39

That's what I tell my kids they're getting for Christmas. A board with a nail in it. And if they're real good all year, they'll get a piece of string to tie to it to pull it around.

I recently went against my better judgement and bought a remote controlled droid from the latest star wars movie for my kids after they pestered me for weeks. They played with it for about 10 minutes before getting bored. It hasn't been touched since.

A couple of days ago we ordered a new vacuum and it came in a large box. That box has been the central play thing for days. It has also caused many fights. It is the most beloved toy in the house. It has been a car, a plane, a movie theater and a restaurant.

The board with the nail on it and string would probably be a home run in my house.

PS....anyone want to buy a (barely) used remote controlled droid?
2016-07-19 3:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jhaack39 That's what I tell my kids they're getting for Christmas. A board with a nail in it. And if they're real good all year, they'll get a piece of string to tie to it to pull it around.
I recently went against my better judgement and bought a remote controlled droid from the latest star wars movie for my kids after they pestered me for weeks. They played with it for about 10 minutes before getting bored. It hasn't been touched since. A couple of days ago we ordered a new vacuum and it came in a large box. That box has been the central play thing for days. It has also caused many fights. It is the most beloved toy in the house. It has been a car, a plane, a movie theater and a restaurant. The board with the nail on it and string would probably be a home run in my house. PS....anyone want to buy a (barely) used remote controlled droid?

Only if it's the R2D2 droid robot from the old Sky Mall catalog that serves drinks.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2016-07-19 3:43 PM
2016-07-19 3:53 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by jhaack39 That's what I tell my kids they're getting for Christmas. A board with a nail in it. And if they're real good all year, they'll get a piece of string to tie to it to pull it around.
I recently went against my better judgement and bought a remote controlled droid from the latest star wars movie for my kids after they pestered me for weeks. They played with it for about 10 minutes before getting bored. It hasn't been touched since. A couple of days ago we ordered a new vacuum and it came in a large box. That box has been the central play thing for days. It has also caused many fights. It is the most beloved toy in the house. It has been a car, a plane, a movie theater and a restaurant. The board with the nail on it and string would probably be a home run in my house. PS....anyone want to buy a (barely) used remote controlled droid?

Only if it's the R2D2 droid robot from the old Sky Mall catalog that serves drinks.

Sorry....nope......

wait for it.....

wait for it.....

almost there....

are you ready.....................

This is not the droid you're looking for
2016-07-20 1:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
for the record I am a back of BOP "triathlete" in that I often come last in my age group and sometimes even the race and I don't really care that much. I participate for fun and to keep myself active.

But just one thing, you might want to check your Oly times for your MOP and BOP because you have a very very significant overlap there (you are MOP if you finish in under 3:59, but you are BOP if you take longer than 3 hours).

2016-07-20 8:25 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by StaceyK for the record I am a back of BOP "triathlete" in that I often come last in my age group and sometimes even the race and I don't really care that much. I participate for fun and to keep myself active. But just one thing, you might want to check your Oly times for your MOP and BOP because you have a very very significant overlap there (you are MOP if you finish in under 3:59, but you are BOP if you take longer than 3 hours).

I'm sure he meant 2:59

2016-07-20 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by StaceyK for the record I am a back of BOP "triathlete" in that I often come last in my age group and sometimes even the race and I don't really care that much. I participate for fun and to keep myself active. But just one thing, you might want to check your Oly times for your MOP and BOP because you have a very very significant overlap there (you are MOP if you finish in under 3:59, but you are BOP if you take longer than 3 hours).

I'm sure he meant 2:59

im sure he did too, it's just my pedantic OCD coming out.
2016-07-20 9:39 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Katy, Texas
Here you go. I corrected the typo (there was a second one you missed....OCD Fail ) and added a separate table for women. I took wild stabs at times and % of finish as I haven't spent that much time looking into it. I also took off the LB column as that was just there to egg on LB.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (96KB - 3 downloads)
2016-07-20 9:43 AM

User image

Pro

Just curious why you didn't include sprint times?  It's possible to get over your 105 pt. threshold only doing sprints.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Defining FOP/MOP/BOP Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Define FOP, MOP, and BOP for Me Please Pages: 1 2

Started by n.k
Views: 4080 Posts: 34

2010-07-13 8:59 AM MikeTheBear

Better Define: BOP/MOP/FOP Pages: 1 2 3

Started by bufit323
Views: 3972 Posts: 53

2010-01-06 9:08 PM agarose2000

Mile OWS - FOP, MOP, BOP?

Started by Ershk
Views: 1820 Posts: 16

2009-07-20 8:05 PM breckview

Help me define FOP/MOP/BOP

Started by dpeeples
Views: 5185 Posts: 18

2009-01-31 8:06 AM tricrazy

FOP vs MOP vs BOP Pages: 1 2

Started by kproudfoot
Views: 2445 Posts: 31

2007-06-27 5:12 PM mykle15
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.