Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Michael Sams

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by strykergt http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Olc5C4SXAYM

Nice!

Go Michael Sams!  Tear it down!!! 

It will hurt no one.

I have yet to hear anyone put it any better than that guy.  Nicely done.

2014-02-13 10:46 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by crowny2

Nice!

It will hurt no one.

So true - that was brilliantly said. 

And yet, today has made me very sad.  Just when I think this country is making progress, along comes something to completely dishearten me.  How in the world is this OK???  

New Kansas Law

2014-02-13 10:56 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Nice!

It will hurt no one.

And yet, today has made me very sad.  Just when I think this country is making progress, along comes something to completely dishearten me.  How in the world is this OK???  

New Kansas Law

Sigh.  

2014-02-13 12:34 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Nice!

It will hurt no one.

I agree, and I'll even point out that the beginning portion where he points out the comparisons is powerful stuff and I couldn't agree with it more.

I have some differing opinions here and there about this topic that haven't really been discussed on BT (perhaps another thread some day), but no matter what NOBODY should be treated any different.  We are ALL equals in the eye of our creator and we ALL have the right to pursue life liberty and happiness in this great country we call America.

2014-02-13 12:48 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Nice!

It will hurt no one.

New Kansas Law

I didn't read the bill, so I'm basing this on the following text of the article:
They want to prevent religious individuals and organizations from getting sued, or otherwise punished, for not providing goods or services to gay couples -- or for not recognizing their marriages or committed relationship as valid.

I'm not entirely sure what problem they're trying to fix, but I feel that a church has a legitimate right to not perform a same sex wedding if they don't want to and  I'm guessing that most of you would probably agree with that.

So, I guess I think of this as a completely different discussion than SSM in general because the state recognizing or permitting SSM is one thing, but allowing a church to determine who they marry doesn't seem that out of line to me.
I do wonder though: was there really a problem that needed to be addressed in the legislation?  With SSM not being legal in the state I'm going to say no, so overall I agree it's probably more of a political statement and in that context I probably wouldn't support this.

2014-02-13 12:53 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Chicago
If he didn't make a big deal about being gay, then nobody else would either!

Well, except, the aforementioned Kansas state legislature, and now the Tennessee legislature's `TURN THE GAYS AWAY!' bill.

http://www.dailyhelmsman.com/state-senator-introduces-new-bill-coin...

Indiana bans same-sex marriage and is considering outlawing civil unions, while Oklahoma has said it would ban all marriage if it is forced to recognize same-sex marriage.

But, you know, if gay people didn't make a big deal about being gay, nobody else would, either.
2014-02-13 1:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
2014-02-13 1:18 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Calgary

So, Sams, the Missouri football player about to be a high draft choice in the NFL, has come out that he is gay.  I've been listening all day to pundits and athletes giving their opinions about how it may effect locker rooms, team unity, and even fan reaction.  I've always been of the opinion that this whole deal of "coming out" is ridiculous, because who cares?  I think I'm starting to see it differently.  I'm starting to think that if high profile gay athletes, and gay people in other high profile positions don't publically come out, we'll just be stuck where we are.....basically "don't ask don't tell"....which is starting to seem stupid to me because who wants to live like that?  I don't want anyone to have to, and if it takes these people in the headlines to hurry that along......so be it.

I'm STILL a Michael Sams fan!

glad you are coming around.
2014-02-13 1:41 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro

"We're going to treat them like a human being first and foremost"....... I wonder how much thought that took? LOL

2014-02-13 2:40 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mr2tony If he didn't make a big deal about being gay, then nobody else would either! Well, except, the aforementioned Kansas state legislature, and now the Tennessee legislature's `TURN THE GAYS AWAY!' bill. http://www.dailyhelmsman.com/state-senator-introduces-new-bill-coin... Indiana bans same-sex marriage and is considering outlawing civil unions, while Oklahoma has said it would ban all marriage if it is forced to recognize same-sex marriage. But, you know, if gay people didn't make a big deal about being gay, nobody else would, either.

One thing for sure that I can say is I've become a lot more Libertarian about this topic and many others, thanks in large part to my friends here on BT.  I don't like either side using the legislature to push controversial issues and in many ways wish the government would just get the bleep out of the marriage business period (gay or straight).

I'm sure I'm over simplifying it, but give anyone the right to form a legal partnership that's recognized by the State and Feds and call it good.  I'm sure you'd have to exempt family members and such to avoid tax avoidance schemes.  If churches or individuals still want to have marriage ceremonies that's fine, but the legal recognition of the partnership is what should matter to the State from a legal standpoint.

No matter what, there are going to be people who are for traditional marriage and no matter what there are going to be people for marriage for all.  One side can win an election and put in laws banning everything in one state and the next year a new regime can pass laws making it legal and on and on.

I don't feel that forcing a church to to accept/conduct SSM through legislation is any different than banning SSM through legislation.  They're both bad, so why do either.

Not even sure if I make sense, but I'm trying to search for a compromise here that everyone can live with.    Please vote for me in 2016

2014-02-13 3:26 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
2014-02-13 4:02 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by mr2tony

If he didn't make a big deal about being gay, then nobody else would either!

Well, except, the aforementioned Kansas state legislature, and now the Tennessee legislature's `TURN THE GAYS AWAY!' bill.

http://www.dailyhelmsman.com/state-senator-introduces-new-bill-coin...

Indiana bans same-sex marriage and is considering outlawing civil unions, while Oklahoma has said it would ban all marriage if it is forced to recognize same-sex marriage.

But, you know, if gay people didn't make a big deal about being gay, nobody else would, either.

Weaksauce. Idaho outlawed civil unions for anybody years ago.
2014-02-13 6:23 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
2014-02-13 7:23 PM

User image

Pro

I guess I'm just too dumb to understand why people can't marry whoever they want. Geez.

2014-02-13 7:26 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

I guess I'm just too dumb to understand why people can't marry whoever they want. Geez.

I agree LB i know a dude that just wants to enjoy the best of both worlds from one person
2014-02-13 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

This is why we still need vocal people. Because the other side is just as vocal about these issues.
2014-02-14 12:27 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by mr2tony  Oklahoma has said it would ban all marriage if it is forced to recognize same-sex marriage.

BRING IT.   I would love to get marriage out of government. 

2014-02-14 9:06 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by mr2tony  Oklahoma has said it would ban all marriage if it is forced to recognize same-sex marriage.

BRING IT.   I would love to get marriage out of government. 

I'm cool with that too. 

2014-02-14 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I think the main issue here is state's rights vs. federal government mandates. Which generally, I am in favor of states retaining their rights and the feds keeping their noses out of things.

Simple solution to all this is to simplify the tax code. Flat percentage for everyone would go a long way to eliminating the fight over who can marry who. When you financially reward people for being married, there is always going to be a fight over "if they can marry such and such why can't I marry such and such, it's not fair. Like was said, get the government out of marriage and the fight stops. People who want to be married in church will get married in church, people who want an alternative ceremony of some sort will have it and it shouldn't bother anyone either way.

2014-02-14 10:05 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Aarondb4

I think the main issue here is state's rights vs. federal government mandates. Which generally, I am in favor of states retaining their rights and the feds keeping their noses out of things.

Simple solution to all this is to simplify the tax code. Flat percentage for everyone would go a long way to eliminating the fight over who can marry who. When you financially reward people for being married, there is always going to be a fight over "if they can marry such and such why can't I marry such and such, it's not fair. Like was said, get the government out of marriage and the fight stops. People who want to be married in church will get married in church, people who want an alternative ceremony of some sort will have it and it shouldn't bother anyone either way.

ditto. 

I think you hit on a great point that often gets sidestepped.  Obviously in America anyone can live with or hang out with whoever they want.  It really boils down to the state recognition of "marriage" which is utilized as the foundation for most of our laws.  Hospital visitation, property rights, inheritance, you name it, it all circles around the government recognition of the "marriage".

I think there always has to be some sort of government recognition of the "marriage", "partnership" or whatever you want to call it due to all of the legal implications that come along with it.  However, for the financial stuff you are 100% correct.  If there's no financial incentive to be married then that's one less thing for the government to be meddling with.

2014-02-14 10:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Aarondb4

This is much more then states rights vs federal government. To me its a civil rights issue - and no state should be able to discriminate. That's exactly what these laws are discriminatory.

I doubt if we had the tax code that you mentioned (which would be great - I'm all for a flat tax) the fight would even be close to finished. People are against gay marriage because of their religious beliefs. You may say get your government out of marriage, and I say get your religion out of my government. Tax breaks are not the only reason that we want to get married.

Edited by Justin86 2014-02-14 10:12 AM
2014-02-14 10:19 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Originally posted by Hook'em

I heard the comments from Sam's father tonight.  What a complete jackarse.

Based upon Michael Sam's story of growing up, I'm assuming dear ol' dad was not the Ward Cleaver type.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10455131/michael-sam-sr-says-was-terribly-misquoted His dad states he was terribly misquoted....
2014-02-17 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl  Just when I think this country is making progress, along comes something to completely dishearten me.  How in the world is this OK???  

New Kansas Law

I lived in Kansas for a year (this was 20+ years ago). Many there like to boast they are the belt buckle of the Bible Belt.

I found out from a co-worker when I lived there that I apparently was washing my car in the wrong part of town. Evidently I was washing my car in the black part of town. I had not noticed when I was washing my car. I still washed it in the same place after I was "enlightened".

I live in Austin now which is much more open minded about things. My son, who is straight, belonged to a LBGT club in high school whose main message was acceptance. He joined to support a friend who was bi. My son did just graduate last year, so this is recent.
But I think people are slowly becoming more accepting of life choices.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Michael Sams Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 3
So what is behind the Infinit line of custom nutrition products? We took a trip to the Infinit world headquarters and conducted an in-depth review of the Infinit Nutrition product.

date : January 2, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on the 'pull', swim phases, emulating Michael Phelps, the glide, dragging feet, interval training, and going backwards when kicking.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Michael
comments : 7
I have made great strides over the last few years to be a better swimmer, but this was really screwing with my head.

date : September 4, 2005
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.
date : September 13, 2004
comments : 29
22 week program taking you from the couch to the finishline.

date : September 2, 2004
comments : 0
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.