of 5

2014-02-17 10:09 AM
in reply to: Hugh in TX

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Michael Sams

Originally posted by Hugh in TX
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl  Just when I think this country is making progress, along comes something to completely dishearten me.  How in the world is this OK???  

New Kansas Law

I lived in Kansas for a year (this was 20+ years ago). Many there like to boast they are the belt buckle of the Bible Belt. I found out from a co-worker when I lived there that I apparently was washing my car in the wrong part of town. Evidently I was washing my car in the black part of town. I had not noticed when I was washing my car. I still washed it in the same place after I was "enlightened". I live in Austin now which is much more open minded about things. My son, who is straight, belonged to a LBGT club in high school whose main message was acceptance. He joined to support a friend who was bi. My son did just graduate last year, so this is recent. But I think people are slowly becoming more accepting of life choices.

Thinking that being gay is a choice, or that it's a "life choice" is also incorrect.  

For the sake of this discussion, I will assume you are not gay and I mean no offense by my assumption as to your sexuality, or by what I say next...  

When did you choose to have a hetero lifestyle?  When did you choose to be straight?  It isn't a choice - every person's sexuality is part of their genetic make-up, just as it's part of the genetic make-up for each and every person born with various skin pigments, eye colour, height, etc. To say a person isn't allowed into x,y,z place of business because of their skin colour, is discriminatory - just as it should be for their sexuality.   

2014-02-17 10:20 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl  Just when I think this country is making progress, along comes something to completely dishearten me.  How in the world is this OK???  

New Kansas Law

I lived in Kansas for a year (this was 20+ years ago). Many there like to boast they are the belt buckle of the Bible Belt. I found out from a co-worker when I lived there that I apparently was washing my car in the wrong part of town. Evidently I was washing my car in the black part of town. I had not noticed when I was washing my car. I still washed it in the same place after I was "enlightened". I live in Austin now which is much more open minded about things. My son, who is straight, belonged to a LBGT club in high school whose main message was acceptance. He joined to support a friend who was bi. My son did just graduate last year, so this is recent. But I think people are slowly becoming more accepting of life choices.

I agree that people are a lot more tolerant in general, but I would caution on the word "life choices". 
Obviously people don't choose to be black and I'm pretty confident in saying that people don't choose to be gay either.

I have a story from last night that I think really illustrates the changes.  Back when I was in the Navy it wasn't uncommon for somebody to get beat up if it was found out they were gay and God help them if they "came on" to the wrong person.  It wasn't tolerated at all.
Well last night my son, who is a freshmen at the University of Nebraska, called me and said he had a funny story that he thought I'd like.  He was out with some buddies and they went to some mutual friends apartment to hang out and party.  Well at the end of the night my son crashes on the floor in the living room and one of the guys that was at the party and really friendly with him all night cuddles up next to him under the blankets.  (oops)

He said he started laughing and told him that he wasn't gay, but thought he was really cool and finally figured out why he was being so nice to him all night.  They laughed it off and he even told him he was flattered.  They're all planning to get together again next week.  That's my boy and I couldn't be prouder of how he handled the situation.

BTW, my son grew up in a bible thumping house so many Christians are a lot less condemning than ever before.

2014-02-17 10:45 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by tuwood

New Kansas Law

I agree that people are a lot more tolerant in general, but I would caution on the word "life choices". 
Obviously people don't choose to be black and I'm pretty confident in saying that people don't choose to be gay either.

I have a story from last night that I think really illustrates the changes.  Back when I was in the Navy it wasn't uncommon for somebody to get beat up if it was found out they were gay and God help them if they "came on" to the wrong person.  It wasn't tolerated at all.
Well last night my son, who is a freshmen at the University of Nebraska, called me and said he had a funny story that he thought I'd like.  He was out with some buddies and they went to some mutual friends apartment to hang out and party.  Well at the end of the night my son crashes on the floor in the living room and one of the guys that was at the party and really friendly with him all night cuddles up next to him under the blankets.  (oops)

He said he started laughing and told him that he wasn't gay, but thought he was really cool and finally figured out why he was being so nice to him all night.  They laughed it off and he even told him he was flattered.  They're all planning to get together again next week.  That's my boy and I couldn't be prouder of how he handled the situation.

BTW, my son grew up in a bible thumping house so many Christians are a lot less condemning than ever before.

I agree being careful about using the phrasing life choices - while I have no doubt your intentions were good and didn't mean anything by it, I can assure you it's not a choice.

That's another good story tuwood, you have no idea how happy it makes me see that younger kids are becoming so accepting. I couldn't imagine even 10 years ago having a situation like that happen to me.
2014-02-17 11:20 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

New Kansas Law

Thinking that being gay is a choice, or that it's a "life choice" is also incorrect.  

For the sake of this discussion, I will assume you are not gay and I mean no offense by my assumption as to your sexuality, or by what I say next...  

When did you choose to have a hetero lifestyle?  When did you choose to be straight?  It isn't a choice - every person's sexuality is part of their genetic make-up, just as it's part of the genetic make-up for each and every person born with various skin pigments, eye colour, height, etc. To say a person isn't allowed into x,y,z place of business because of their skin colour, is discriminatory - just as it should be for their sexuality.   

I've spent a lot of time reflecting on this very topic because I deal with a lot of men who have various sexual "behavior" issues.  I volunteer as a sexual addiction counselor and most of the men I work with are struggling with compulsion and behavioral issues that happen with gay and straight men so I see it from both sides of the spectrum.  Of course there's the old nature vs. nurture argument that I'm not 100% settled on when it comes to being gay, but I have come to the absolute conclusion that NOBODY chooses their sexual attraction, it's just the way they are.  Yes you can choose to not act on your attractions, but it doesn't change the attraction itself.

I can say there are legitimate arguments for genetics and there are legitimate arguments for environmental exposures.  I tend to think it's more of a complex combination of both personally.

I mostly lean towards the "combination" thing because we are all (straight/gay) influenced by our environment as far as what features characteristics we like in those we're attracted to.  For example, I like blondes with small athletic bewbs.  Big bewbs do nothing for me at all and even kind of turn me off.  I most certainly wasn't born with that and I know where in my past the influence came from for this attraction.  However, me being attracted to women in general was way before that (genetic or environment) and I don't know the answer to where that came from.
I can get a little controversial at times on this topic as a whole, but I always defend people who are gay as not making a choice to be gay.  Even if it is 100% nurture and not nature at all (hypothetically speaking) the influences would happen at such a young age that it still wouldn't be a choice.

The topic of sexual attraction does genuinely interest me in the context of sexual addiction because I try to help men identify where their "bad" sexual attraction behaviors originated from so they can fix them.
btw, don't take this as me saying gay is a "sexual addiction" or needs to be "fixed" because it's not.  I'm just giving context to my interest in this topic.

2014-02-17 11:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Life choices was perhaps the wrong word choice for me.

What I meant is people are becoming more accepting of people who are different than themselves.

My post was not meant to be in agreement with the Kansas legislation that was being discussed.

My point was that Kansans tends to be very religious and from my firsthand experience, not exactly tolerant of non-European descendants. This is why legislation that was mentioned could even be discussed by Kansas legislators.

After living in Austin for awhile, I had a co-worker who was a gay black man from Kansas. We shared some stories about our experience there and I could understand, to some very small degree, to what he faced.

My flame suit is on in case I selected the wrong words again.

Edited by Hugh in TX 2014-02-17 11:34 AM
2014-02-17 12:10 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

New Kansas Law

I've spent a lot of time reflecting on this very topic because I deal with a lot of men who have various sexual "behavior" issues.  I volunteer as a sexual addiction counselor and most of the men I work with are struggling with compulsion and behavioral issues that happen with gay and straight men so I see it from both sides of the spectrum.  Of course there's the old nature vs. nurture argument that I'm not 100% settled on when it comes to being gay, but I have come to the absolute conclusion that NOBODY chooses their sexual attraction, it's just the way they are.  Yes you can choose to not act on your attractions, but it doesn't change the attraction itself.

I can say there are legitimate arguments for genetics and there are legitimate arguments for environmental exposures.  I tend to think it's more of a complex combination of both personally.

I mostly lean towards the "combination" thing because we are all (straight/gay) influenced by our environment as far as what features characteristics we like in those we're attracted to.  For example, I like blondes with small athletic bewbs.  Big bewbs do nothing for me at all and even kind of turn me off.  I most certainly wasn't born with that and I know where in my past the influence came from for this attraction.  However, me being attracted to women in general was way before that (genetic or environment) and I don't know the answer to where that came from.
I can get a little controversial at times on this topic as a whole, but I always defend people who are gay as not making a choice to be gay.  Even if it is 100% nurture and not nature at all (hypothetically speaking) the influences would happen at such a young age that it still wouldn't be a choice.

The topic of sexual attraction does genuinely interest me in the context of sexual addiction because I try to help men identify where their "bad" sexual attraction behaviors originated from so they can fix them.
btw, don't take this as me saying gay is a "sexual addiction" or needs to be "fixed" because it's not.  I'm just giving context to my interest in this topic.

Tony - Thank you so much for sharing, I love the story about your son!   

I will agree that the attraction to features or characteristics in other can be influenced - and can change over time.  However, I also believe that at it's very base level - an attraction to or a preference for one sex or the other is genetic.  Growing up, I liked boys and I knew I liked boys from an elementary school age.  Just like a friend of mine growing up who came out in high school knew growing up that HE liked boys too.  I guess my problem (and I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just talking out loud here... or writing out loud, I guess) with the nurture/environmental influence aspect of that argument is how that works with children of those people who are very against anyone who is homosexual (for whatever reason).  That child would certainly not be influenced in a positive way to be anything but heterosexual, and yet without any nurturing in that direction, they are still homosexual.  

Huh, that was a really round-about way of saying that I think we're agreeing in that it's not a choice.    

2014-02-17 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Life choices was perhaps the wrong word choice for me.

What I meant is people are becoming more accepting of people who are different than themselves.

My post was not meant to be in agreement with the Kansas legislation that was being discussed.

My point was that Kansans tends to be very religious and from my firsthand experience, not exactly tolerant of non-European descendants. This is why legislation that was mentioned could even be discussed by Kansas legislators.

After living in Austin for awhile, I had a co-worker who was a gay black man from Kansas. We shared some stories about our experience there and I could understand, to some very small degree, to what he faced.

My flame suit is on in case I selected the wrong words again.

Don't worry about it I took it like you meant to say it. I don't get offended by it but some people do.
2014-02-17 12:50 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

New Kansas Law

I will agree that the attraction to features or characteristics in other can be influenced - and can change over time.  However, I also believe that at it's very base level - an attraction to or a preference for one sex or the other is genetic.  Growing up, I liked boys and I knew I liked boys from an elementary school age.  Just like a friend of mine growing up who came out in high school knew growing up that HE liked boys too.  I guess my problem (and I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just talking out loud here... or writing out loud, I guess) with the nurture/environmental influence aspect of that argument is how that works with children of those people who are very against anyone who is homosexual (for whatever reason).  That child would certainly not be influenced in a positive way to be anything but heterosexual, and yet without any nurturing in that direction, they are still homosexual.  

Huh, that was a really round-about way of saying that I think we're agreeing in that it's not a choice.    

This is my biggest problem I have nurture making someone be gay. I've met other people who have grown up in very homophobic environments and had nothing but negative exposure to it growing up. But who knows like you said it could be a combination of nature and nurture. I wont dismiss that.

Not having come out until after high school you could also say that I was nurtured into liking girls. It was expected of me, and any guy will know what I am talking about, being a guy that age and what you are expected to do / talk about. Even when my peers first started to get interested in girls, I knew that I was different and that I didn't.

2014-02-17 1:55 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Justin86

New Kansas Law

This is my biggest problem I have nurture making someone be gay. I've met other people who have grown up in very homophobic environments and had nothing but negative exposure to it growing up. But who knows like you said it could be a combination of nature and nurture. I wont dismiss that. Not having come out until after high school you could also say that I was nurtured into liking girls. It was expected of me, and any guy will know what I am talking about, being a guy that age and what you are expected to do / talk about. Even when my peers first started to get interested in girls, I knew that I was different and that I didn't.

I wish there were more studies on the topic but I think it's become such a hot button issue that findings either way would be ripped apart by the opposing side and not much progress would be made.  Hypothetically speaking if it were proven somehow to be 100% nurture, what would that change?  OK, your mom/dad "made" you gay, what now.  OK, guess you better go get a girlfriend or go to counseling?  lol

2014-02-17 2:12 PM

User image

Master

New Kansas Law

This is my biggest problem I have nurture making someone be gay. I've met other people who have grown up in very homophobic environments and had nothing but negative exposure to it growing up. But who knows like you said it could be a combination of nature and nurture. I wont dismiss that. Not having come out until after high school you could also say that I was nurtured into liking girls. It was expected of me, and any guy will know what I am talking about, being a guy that age and what you are expected to do / talk about. Even when my peers first started to get interested in girls, I knew that I was different and that I didn't.

I wish there were more studies on the topic but I think it's become such a hot button issue that findings either way would be ripped apart by the opposing side and not much progress would be made.  Hypothetically speaking if it were proven somehow to be 100% nurture, what would that change?  OK, your mom/dad "made" you gay, what now.  OK, guess you better go get a girlfriend or go to counseling?  lol

What if *gasp* your mom and dad "made" you hetero?  I know you lol'd that last sentence, but that is exactly what some people think, that you can be "cured".  

2014-02-17 2:48 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcraht

New Kansas Law

What if *gasp* your mom and dad "made" you hetero?  I know you lol'd that last sentence, but that is exactly what some people think, that you can be "cured".  

In another lifetime I was married to my first wife......she damn near cured me of being hetero. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-17 2:48 PM

2014-02-17 5:20 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

New Kansas Law

I think we also have to be careful on the opposite side of this spectrum as well to say that there is nothing anyone can do.  Similar to I don't feel anyone chooses to be gay, I feel there are people who are gay who for whatever reason make a conscious choice to not be gay and have successfully changed.  I have two good friends that fall into this camp.  I don't like the word "cured" because that indicates there was something wrong with them in the first place though. 
Gender identity and sexual attraction are very complex issues with a ton of influences.  There are some examples of individuals who are sexually abused by same sex individuals as teens who struggle with sexual identity issues.  It's not that they're gay and need to be "cured" but they have some issues that therapy can genuinely help them with to live a better more fulfilling life (gay or straight).

Here's what the American Psychiatric Association (APA) says about "what causes sexual orientation":
There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.

(I agree completely with the bolded section)

The APA has established guidelines for sexual orientation therapy for individuals that are struggling with their identity and some of which chose to try and change for whatever reason.  This isn't whacked out "conversion therapy" stuff, it's legitimate therapy that some people get the results they're looking for.
This is obviously a very controversial area for the APA so we don't hear a lot about it.
http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/therapeutic-response.pdf

Now don't read me wrong and thing I'm some "conversion nut" because that couldn't be further from the truth.  It's just that this is a very complex issue where broad brushes don't work very well.

I'm probably out in the weeds far enough, because ultimately the topic of this thread is to not condemn people who are different and I think we're all in agreement there. 

2014-02-17 5:21 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

New Kansas Law

In another lifetime I was married to my first wife......she damn near cured me of being hetero. 

lol, I know a lady whose husband divorced her and came out as Gay.  She jokes about how she's so bad in bed that she turned her husband gay. 
They're actually still good friends, so it's not that bad of a story.

2014-02-17 8:56 PM

User image

Master

I think we also have to be careful on the opposite side of this spectrum as well to say that there is nothing anyone can do.  Similar to I don't feel anyone chooses to be gay, I feel there are people who are gay who for whatever reason make a conscious choice to not be gay and have successfully changed.  I have two good friends that fall into this camp.  I don't like the word "cured" because that indicates there was something wrong with them in the first place though. 
Gender identity and sexual attraction are very complex issues with a ton of influences.  There are some examples of individuals who are sexually abused by same sex individuals as teens who struggle with sexual identity issues.  It's not that they're gay and need to be "cured" but they have some issues that therapy can genuinely help them with to live a better more fulfilling life (gay or straight).

Here's what the American Psychiatric Association (APA) says about "what causes sexual orientation":
There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.

The APA has established guidelines for sexual orientation therapy for individuals that are struggling with their identity and some of which chose to try and change for whatever reason.  This isn't whacked out "conversion therapy" stuff, it's legitimate therapy that some people get the results they're looking for.
This is obviously a very controversial area for the APA so we don't hear a lot about it.

Now don't read me wrong and thing I'm some "conversion nut" because that couldn't be further from the truth.  It's just that this is a very complex issue where broad brushes don't work very well.

I'm probably out in the weeds far enough, because ultimately the topic of this thread is to not condemn people who are different and I think we're all in agreement there. 

Sorry, so how can someone experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation, but at the same time make a conscious choice NOT to be gay and successfully change?  Either a)they were not gay in the first place, simply confused about their own sexual identity for whatever reason or b)they say/feel they have changed to satisfy societal "norms".  I would be willing to bet that those in category b) are not living a better or more fulfilling life.

With respect to individuals who were sexually abused by same sex individuals struggling with sexual identity--what about those who are abused by opposite sex offenders who struggle with sexual identity?  Does that make them 'not necessarily heterosexual'?

Please understand, I am not trying to start a fight--and I agree that it is a very complex issue.  But prior to making statements, ask yourself: Can I put the word heterosexual in place of the word gay in this sentence and feel the same way?

2014-02-17 9:09 PM

User image

Pro

With respect to individuals who were sexually abused by same sex individuals struggling with sexual identity--what about those who are abused by opposite sex offenders who struggle with sexual identity?  Does that make them 'not necessarily heterosexual'?

Kirsten - that made my head hurt.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-17 9:09 PM
2014-02-17 9:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Sorry, so how can someone experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation, but at the same time make a conscious choice NOT to be gay and successfully change?  Either a)they were not gay in the first place, simply confused about their own sexual identity for whatever reason or b)they say/feel they have changed to satisfy societal "norms".  I would be willing to bet that those in category b) are not living a better or more fulfilling life.

Please understand, I am not trying to start a fight--and I agree that it is a very complex issue.  But prior to making statements, ask yourself: Can I put the word heterosexual in place of the word gay in this sentence and feel the same way?

Well said. I don't believe someone can change from being gay to straight. Now there are people who are bisexual they could fit in this category. I think many people try to, like Kirsten said fit into the 'social norms' I know I did for many years. Heck I even fooled most people I've even had a few girlfriends.

There are some great documentaries out there about people who have been 'cured of gay' most of them say they were living a lie, and it at some point became unbearable. I forget the name of it, but Lisa Ling does a great one - it's on youtube.

2014-02-17 9:47 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I have a somewhat unique perspective on this in that I get to know a lot of people who struggle with sexual issues of all sorts and journey with them throughout their history to see how they got where they are.  I can tell you that being sexually abused from anyone has a life long impact on the victim (same sex or otherwise).  I was simply mentioning that you can't lump everyone together on such a complex issue because every single one of us is different.  Our genes and our life experiences are all different and collectively make us who we are.  It's not as simple as all gay people are "born that way" or "everyone had bad parents" because neither have been proven by anybody and I believe both are untrue.

As you highlighted, most (but not all) people experience little or no sense of choice.  So, I was merely suggesting to not lump everyone together. 

I don't think you're trying to start a fight, and I appreciate the dialog.  Most people tend to shy away from these topics because there's no easy answer and I try to simply give another perspective that doesn't get brought up much.

I hope I don't come across as too much a whack job.  :-D

2014-02-17 10:12 PM

User image

Master

I have a somewhat unique perspective on this in that I get to know a lot of people who struggle with sexual issues of all sorts and journey with them throughout their history to see how they got where they are.  I can tell you that being sexually abused from anyone has a life long impact on the victim (same sex or otherwise).  I was simply mentioning that you can't lump everyone together on such a complex issue because every single one of us is different.  Our genes and our life experiences are all different and collectively make us who we are.  It's not as simple as all gay people are "born that way" or "everyone had bad parents" because neither have been proven by anybody and I believe both are untrue.

As you highlighted, most (but not all) people experience little or no sense of choice.  So, I was merely suggesting to not lump everyone together. 

I don't think you're trying to start a fight, and I appreciate the dialog.  Most people tend to shy away from these topics because there's no easy answer and I try to simply give another perspective that doesn't get brought up much.

Nope, not a whack job.    But I have a somewhat unique perspective on this as well in that I am gay and a sexual abuse survivor.  I am very well aware of the impact it has.  However, I don't feel as though it is a lifelong issue.  I dealt with it and moved on.  Now, did the abuse help shape who I am?  Absolutely.  Did it affect my sexuality?  Possibly.  You are right, we will never know.  I 'went the other way' in that I tried 'being' straight for many years--boyfriends, even a husband (just for the record, HE ended the relationship, before I ever came out).  It wasn't until I came out that I truly felt like I was me.  

I agree, that we should not lump everyone together.  But to say that someone who identified as gay can get therapy and change is untrue, IMO.  Confused about their sexuality, get therapy and get it figured out, absolutely.  But do you think that I was heterosexual and then my therapy changed me to gay?

2014-02-18 8:03 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Nope, not a whack job.    But I have a somewhat unique perspective on this as well in that I am gay and a sexual abuse survivor.  I am very well aware of the impact it has.  However, I don't feel as though it is a lifelong issue.  I dealt with it and moved on.  Now, did the abuse help shape who I am?  Absolutely.  Did it affect my sexuality?  Possibly.  You are right, we will never know.  I 'went the other way' in that I tried 'being' straight for many years--boyfriends, even a husband (just for the record, HE ended the relationship, before I ever came out).  It wasn't until I came out that I truly felt like I was me.  

I agree, that we should not lump everyone together.  But to say that someone who identified as gay can get therapy and change is untrue, IMO.  Confused about their sexuality, get therapy and get it figured out, absolutely.  But do you think that I was heterosexual and then my therapy changed me to gay?

You need a new counselor if they turned you gay.  just kidding and no I don't think your therapy changed you to gay.  That would be a whole new can of worms right there.  ;-)

I think you described in your last paragraph how difficult it is because there are people who are the way they are and nobody is going to change them and nor should they try.  Then there are people who are confused about their sexuality that can benefit from counseling.  On the confusion front there could be people who identify as straight and are confused because they're really gay and people could identify or think they're gay, but really be straight.

2014-02-18 10:06 AM

User image

Pro

You need a new counselor if they turned you gay.  just kidding and no I don't think your therapy changed you to gay.  That would be a whole new can of worms right there.  ;-)

I think you described in your last paragraph how difficult it is because there are people who are the way they are and nobody is going to change them and nor should they try.  Then there are people who are confused about their sexuality that can benefit from counseling.  On the confusion front there could be people who identify as straight and are confused because they're really gay and people could identify or think they're gay, but really be straight.

I don't think I buy that.

2014-02-18 10:18 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

maybe "identify" isn't the right word, but lets take an example.  Somebody who has lived their whole life as a straight person, dating girls, even marrying a woman, but things were just never right.  If they "identify" with that lifestyle of being straight but the truth is they're actually gay and living a lie wouldn't it be appropriate for them to have a venue they could go to in order to explore their true sexual identity?

I think the area where this is more applicable is with people who identify as bisexual but I'm not an expert by any means.

2014-02-18 11:05 AM

User image

Pro

maybe "identify" isn't the right word, but lets take an example.  Somebody who has lived their whole life as a straight person, dating girls, even marrying a woman, but things were just never right.  If they "identify" with that lifestyle of being straight but the truth is they're actually gay and living a lie wouldn't it be appropriate for them to have a venue they could go to in order to explore their true sexual identity?

I think the area where this is more applicable is with people who identify as bisexual but I'm not an expert by any means.

Admittedly, we have reached a part of this discussion that I couldn't even begin to comment on because I don't have a clue.  I'm good with whatever ya'll decide.

2014-02-18 11:45 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Admittedly, we have reached a part of this discussion that I couldn't even begin to comment on because I don't have a clue.  I'm good with whatever ya'll decide.

haha, I think I might be in the same boat as well.

2014-02-18 4:19 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

As you highlighted, most (but not all) people experience little or no sense of choice.  So, I was merely suggesting to not lump everyone together.  :)

haha, I think I might be in the same boat as well.

Aw, c'mon Tony!

I wanna see you write "bewbs" again. 

I was giggling about that one for a couple of hours ;)

2014-02-18 4:33 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro

Reading the comments newest to oldest when you haven't been on in a day or two can really get confusing.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Michael Sams Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 3
So what is behind the Infinit line of custom nutrition products? We took a trip to the Infinit world headquarters and conducted an in-depth review of the Infinit Nutrition product.

date : January 2, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on the 'pull', swim phases, emulating Michael Phelps, the glide, dragging feet, interval training, and going backwards when kicking.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Michael
comments : 7
I have made great strides over the last few years to be a better swimmer, but this was really screwing with my head.

date : September 4, 2005
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.
date : September 13, 2004
comments : 29
22 week program taking you from the couch to the finishline.

date : September 2, 2004
comments : 0
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.