Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by bcraht

I have a somewhat unique perspective on this in that I get to know a lot of people who struggle with sexual issues of all sorts and journey with them throughout their history to see how they got where they are.  I can tell you that being sexually abused from anyone has a life long impact on the victim (same sex or otherwise).  I was simply mentioning that you can't lump everyone together on such a complex issue because every single one of us is different.  Our genes and our life experiences are all different and collectively make us who we are.  It's not as simple as all gay people are "born that way" or "everyone had bad parents" because neither have been proven by anybody and I believe both are untrue.

As you highlighted, most (but not all) people experience little or no sense of choice.  So, I was merely suggesting to not lump everyone together. 

I don't think you're trying to start a fight, and I appreciate the dialog.  Most people tend to shy away from these topics because there's no easy answer and I try to simply give another perspective that doesn't get brought up much.

I hope I don't come across as too much a whack job.  :-D

Nope, not a whack job.    But I have a somewhat unique perspective on this as well in that I am gay and a sexual abuse survivor.  I am very well aware of the impact it has.  However, I don't feel as though it is a lifelong issue.  I dealt with it and moved on.  Now, did the abuse help shape who I am?  Absolutely.  Did it affect my sexuality?  Possibly.  You are right, we will never know.  I 'went the other way' in that I tried 'being' straight for many years--boyfriends, even a husband (just for the record, HE ended the relationship, before I ever came out).  It wasn't until I came out that I truly felt like I was me.  

I agree, that we should not lump everyone together.  But to say that someone who identified as gay can get therapy and change is untrue, IMO.  Confused about their sexuality, get therapy and get it figured out, absolutely.  But do you think that I was heterosexual and then my therapy changed me to gay?

You need a new counselor if they turned you gay.  just kidding and no I don't think your therapy changed you to gay.  That would be a whole new can of worms right there.  ;-)

I think you described in your last paragraph how difficult it is because there are people who are the way they are and nobody is going to change them and nor should they try.  Then there are people who are confused about their sexuality that can benefit from counseling.  On the confusion front there could be people who identify as straight and are confused because they're really gay and people could identify or think they're gay, but really be straight.

I don't think I buy that.

maybe "identify" isn't the right word, but lets take an example.  Somebody who has lived their whole life as a straight person, dating girls, even marrying a woman, but things were just never right.  If they "identify" with that lifestyle of being straight but the truth is they're actually gay and living a lie wouldn't it be appropriate for them to have a venue they could go to in order to explore their true sexual identity?

I think the area where this is more applicable is with people who identify as bisexual but I'm not an expert by any means.

Admittedly, we have reached a part of this discussion that I couldn't even begin to comment on because I don't have a clue.  I'm good with whatever ya'll decide.

haha, I think I might be in the same boat as well.

Aw, c'mon Tony!

I wanna see you write "bewbs" again. 

I was giggling about that one for a couple of hours

I could do illustrations as well.   (.) (.) = good   (  .  )(  .  ) = bad

2014-02-18 5:03 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Michael Sams

I have a somewhat unique perspective on this in that I get to know a lot of people who struggle with sexual issues of all sorts and journey with them throughout their history to see how they got where they are.  I can tell you that being sexually abused from anyone has a life long impact on the victim (same sex or otherwise).  I was simply mentioning that you can't lump everyone together on such a complex issue because every single one of us is different.  Our genes and our life experiences are all different and collectively make us who we are.  It's not as simple as all gay people are "born that way" or "everyone had bad parents" because neither have been proven by anybody and I believe both are untrue.

As you highlighted, most (but not all) people experience little or no sense of choice.  So, I was merely suggesting to not lump everyone together. 

I don't think you're trying to start a fight, and I appreciate the dialog.  Most people tend to shy away from these topics because there's no easy answer and I try to simply give another perspective that doesn't get brought up much.

Nope, not a whack job.    But I have a somewhat unique perspective on this as well in that I am gay and a sexual abuse survivor.  I am very well aware of the impact it has.  However, I don't feel as though it is a lifelong issue.  I dealt with it and moved on.  Now, did the abuse help shape who I am?  Absolutely.  Did it affect my sexuality?  Possibly.  You are right, we will never know.  I 'went the other way' in that I tried 'being' straight for many years--boyfriends, even a husband (just for the record, HE ended the relationship, before I ever came out).  It wasn't until I came out that I truly felt like I was me.  

I agree, that we should not lump everyone together.  But to say that someone who identified as gay can get therapy and change is untrue, IMO.  Confused about their sexuality, get therapy and get it figured out, absolutely.  But do you think that I was heterosexual and then my therapy changed me to gay?

You need a new counselor if they turned you gay.  just kidding and no I don't think your therapy changed you to gay.  That would be a whole new can of worms right there.  ;-)

I think you described in your last paragraph how difficult it is because there are people who are the way they are and nobody is going to change them and nor should they try.  Then there are people who are confused about their sexuality that can benefit from counseling.  On the confusion front there could be people who identify as straight and are confused because they're really gay and people could identify or think they're gay, but really be straight.

maybe "identify" isn't the right word, but lets take an example.  Somebody who has lived their whole life as a straight person, dating girls, even marrying a woman, but things were just never right.  If they "identify" with that lifestyle of being straight but the truth is they're actually gay and living a lie wouldn't it be appropriate for them to have a venue they could go to in order to explore their true sexual identity?

I think the area where this is more applicable is with people who identify as bisexual but I'm not an expert by any means.

Admittedly, we have reached a part of this discussion that I couldn't even begin to comment on because I don't have a clue.  I'm good with whatever ya'll decide.

Aw, c'mon Tony!

Gosh, we DO have some things in common. 

2014-02-18 6:27 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

As you highlighted, most (but not all) people experience little or no sense of choice.  So, I was merely suggesting to not lump everyone together.  :)

Aw, c'mon Tony!

I was giggling about that one for a couple of hours ;)

Sir, you are gifted!

Great thread all :)

2014-02-19 10:04 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Aw, c'mon Tony!

Geez, talk about needing counseling. You have that all wrong!

2014-02-19 10:14 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Aw, c'mon Tony!

You can't change me!!!

2014-02-19 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Aw, c'mon Tony!

You can't change me!!!

Well then I guess I will just say I am sorry you were born that way... Major bummer!

2014-02-24 7:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
2014-02-24 7:27 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Wow, could they possibly come up with a more "anti-gay" law.

If anything, it's a great testament to just how good we have it in America.  I know there are places in the world where I could be executed for simply owning a Bible.

2014-02-24 10:23 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Wow, could they possibly come up with a more "anti-gay" law.

They actually backed away from the death penalty as a punishment for some crimes.  Good Grief.

2014-02-24 10:41 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Master

I prefer to focus on this 

2014-02-24 1:07 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Yes I think I will focus on that for now too .

I do feel horrid for those suffering in Uganda though. It can be tough enough here - I can't even fathom what it's like over there.

2014-02-24 10:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Justin86

Yes I think I will focus on that for now too .

I do feel horrid for those suffering in Uganda though. It can be tough enough here - I can't even fathom what it's like over there.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/hype-nfl-prospect...

Edited by strykergt 2014-02-24 10:09 PM
2014-02-25 10:36 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro

Originally posted by strykergt

Yes I think I will focus on that for now too . I do feel horrid for those suffering in Uganda though. It can be tough enough here - I can't even fathom what it's like over there.

Geez.....that's a VERY poor performance.  That sucks, because now his own performance can be pointed to for a reason to not draft him.  I was hoping he would kill it and force the hand.

2014-02-25 12:06 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Yes I think I will focus on that for now too . I do feel horrid for those suffering in Uganda though. It can be tough enough here - I can't even fathom what it's like over there.

Geez.....that's a VERY poor performance.  That sucks, because now his own performance can be pointed to for a reason to not draft him.  I was hoping he would kill it and force the hand.

Yeah.  I agree.  When I saw his 40 time come up last night, the wife said "How is that" and I said "slow".  

I'd be interested, though, to see how his combine #'s stack up to similar potential draft picks in the past.  Anyone have quick access to that?  I'm too lazy to research.  

2014-02-25 12:24 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro

Originally posted by crowny2

Yeah.  I agree.  When I saw his 40 time come up last night, the wife said "How is that" and I said "slow".  

I'd be interested, though, to see how his combine #'s stack up to similar potential draft picks in the past.  Anyone have quick access to that?  I'm too lazy to research.  

I know this much....17 reps at 225 is abysmal.  There are a dozen guys in my building right now that can beat that easily....and they have about 10-20 years on Sams.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Michael Sams Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 3
So what is behind the Infinit line of custom nutrition products? We took a trip to the Infinit world headquarters and conducted an in-depth review of the Infinit Nutrition product.

date : January 2, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on the 'pull', swim phases, emulating Michael Phelps, the glide, dragging feet, interval training, and going backwards when kicking.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Michael
comments : 7
I have made great strides over the last few years to be a better swimmer, but this was really screwing with my head.

date : September 4, 2005
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.
date : September 13, 2004
comments : 29
22 week program taking you from the couch to the finishline.

date : September 2, 2004
comments : 0
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.