General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where is everyone? Let's talk next season! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-11-29 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: Where is everyone? Let's talk next season!
Hey all -- I've noticed that it's been very quiet on here these past few weeks and months. I assume we're all taking a break at the end of the triathlon season -- but that's no reason to not be thinking about next year!

Let's talk about what we're doing in the pre-season and what our goals are for next year.

Right now, I'm trying to re-build my base in biking, swimming and lifting weights, although I've only made it to the pool (cough) once (cough) since my last tri in August. I've done pretty well keeping up with the running miles since the Freep and have something like 130 more miles to run to hit 1,000 for 2014. I'm going to go for it!

I'm really hoping to do well at an Olympic early in the season (current PR is 2:59 and change) and take some time off my 70.3 later in the season (my first was just under 7 hours this summer). I'd LOVE to qualify for age group nationals but I don't think I'm quite there yet. I've also been chasing the elusive sub-4-hour marathon for a few years; current PR is 4:10:06. So, I have a lot of work to do this off-season.

What are everyone else's plans and goals?

2014-11-29 3:59 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
Subject: RE: Where is everyone? Let's talk next season!
Your question is timely. I've been thinking about 2015 goals for the last few days and mine are:

1) I've run sprints so far and I'd like to move up to longer distances in 2015; so goal is at least one Olympic.

2) Drop more weight in 2015

3) Not be so freakin slow!!! Achieving #2 and more consistent training will help immensely.

2014-11-29 4:09 PM

I find that I train most of the winter and then fizzle during the summer. I spend more time with the kid and the training comes second. So in 2015 I am going to turn it around and start with the Grand Rapids Tri. Distance is yet undetermined.

Joe
2014-11-29 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Well, since 2007 I have done an Ironman every other year, while racing shorter events on the other years. This, in theory, is an Ironman year, however, I've decided to go a different direction and simply race A LOT. My focus will mostly be on Olympic & sprint distance races, with one 70.3 in Cadillac, at the Lumberman Triathlon.
I'm in my second week of being back in the pool. Usually I wait until the Monday after Thanksgiving, but I got anxious, and got at it.
I've been working the weights for several weeks now, and I'm up to freshman girl's softball level weight right now, but my goal is girl's varsity lacrosse level by spring.
I've also started indoor cycling this past week every other day. I found some cool indoor trainer workouts on-line, so I've virtually done some workouts through the countryside of Germany...while in my basement. I'm looking forward to "heading over there" again tomorrow morning.
I think my body is mostly ready to start running again, but I want to iron out some tightness I've got in my left hip flexor. Maybe in a couple weeks.
My first event will be the Seahorse Triathlon at the end of May.

My generic goals at this point are as follows:
* Get healthy.
* Get strong
* Get fast.
* Get after it.
2014-11-30 4:00 PM
in reply to: Tri Sam

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by LJonesCPA

2) Drop more weight in 2015

3) Not be so freakin slow!!! Achieving #2 and more consistent training will help immensely.

I like these! I forgot to add "lose some weight" to my original goal list.

Originally posted by Tri Sam

My generic goals at this point are as follows:
* Get healthy.
* Get strong
* Get fast.
* Get after it.

This too!

I guess overall, I'm looking to do everything I did last year, faster.
2014-11-30 11:39 PM

I should add something on the last weekend of April. I am not sure if I will do the half or full trail marathon. It's been a few years and I miss it.

Joe

2014-12-01 7:27 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Hey All,

Having a typical Michigan winter so far, I've only been running since you need to take advantage before the weather turns to crud. Once the weather turns, I will be selecting a new TV show to binge while on the trainer. Last year was Breaking Bad, so something 4-5 seasons is a good range. My wife and I are expecting our second kid in the summer, so I have managed to negotiate a sprint and an Oly next year since they don't require the hours that a HIM/Full need.

My goals are to improve my times for both while enjoying a lot of speed work. I'm planning Motor City Tri - assuming it will be in June, baby's due date is in July, and then Island Lake Oly in Aug.

Cheers,
Ken
2014-12-02 6:41 PM
in reply to: #5070699

I got talked into doing my first ironman next fall, so Ironman Louisville on Oct 11th is goal #1. I will do Lumberman 70.3 and maybe Tawas 70.3 as tune ups and maybe a few shorter races.
2014-12-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by Puppetmaster

I should add something on the last weekend of April. I am not sure if I will do the half or full trail marathon. It's been a few years and I miss it.

I'm not sure if you want to do a trail run exclusively, but Glass City in Toledo is the last weekend of April. I ran the full a few years ago, and it's a decent race.

Originally posted by deboerkj

Once the weather turns, I will be selecting a new TV show to binge while on the trainer. Last year was Breaking Bad, so something 4-5 seasons is a good range.

I still need to binge watch Breaking Bad. I had big plans to do it last year but that fell through. I want to re-watch all four seasons of Game of Thrones before the season premier, and House of Cards before season three hits Netflix. Let us know what you pick!
2014-12-03 1:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

I am planning on my first 70.3 at Cedar Point next September.  Other than that I really don't have any concrete race plans.  I would like to do the Rock CF half marathon in March and an Oly sometime during the summer but we'll see how those fit into the training schedule.

For this winter my plan is to improve my biking and swimming, and keep up with my running.  I have already started the swimming plan and the bike will start in a few weeks.  I run with a running group in Ferndale so they will keep me motivated to run throughout the winter.

Good luck to everyone with their training!!!!

Working on the bike room right now with plans to add a small TV with ChromeCast for Netflix.  I am thinking of watching Son's Of Anarchy & American Horror Story for the winter.

Edited by caffer 2014-12-03 1:55 PM
2014-12-05 2:43 PM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
I'll be doing a bunch of sprints once again throughout the summer (Greenville, Grand Rapids, Lumberman, Grand Haven, Fremont, Ludington, maybe another one or two). 50/50 on doing the 25K at the Riverbank Run in early May. I'm also partially tempted to scrap these plans and find a HIM during the summer, but I am still debating that.

I'm already rolling on the trainer. I just caught up on the TV shows Arrow and The Flash. I would like to binge watch Game Of Thrones and The Americans throughout the winter too. Netflix/Hulu are the greatest things ever invented for those of us with bike trainers. I only wish I could watch while I swim.

2014-12-06 8:18 AM
in reply to: #5070699

User image

2014 was a year of getting back into some sort of shape and my first triathlon. 2015 will be a HUGE year. My goals are as follows

1 - lose more weight. I have been on vacation this week and the plan was to revisit all of the foods I love before starting serious training and dieting on Monday. I've eaten so much crap this week that I don't feel well and am ending the celebration early. Healthy diet starts today.

2 - I would like to earn the West Michigan Endurance Award (River Bank Run, half or full at GR or MiTi, full GR Marathon)

My A races for the year will be the River Bank Run, MiTi half, and GR Marathon. It will be my first 70.3 and my first marathon. I have another half dozen races thrown in for fun (River City HM, Tri del Sol, Olympic GR Tri, and a few bike races)

Running is my weakest discipline so I'm on my third week of the Barry P plan (slow twitch.com) and have yet to miss a run. I run 6 days a week, bike 2x, and will be back in the pool at least 2x. I hope to keep this up through the River Bank Run to establish a solid run base. After the RBR I will even out my training a bit to start focusing on MiTi.
2014-12-06 12:43 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Netflix/Hulu are the greatest things ever invented for those of us with bike trainers. I only wish I could watch while I swim.

You are not kidding. I just started Breaking Bad again and WILL get through it this winter.

Originally posted by Toefuzz

2 - I would like to earn the West Michigan Endurance Award (River Bank Run, half or full at GR or MiTi, full GR Marathon)

My A races for the year will be the River Bank Run, MiTi half, and GR Marathon. It will be my first 70.3 and my first marathon. I have another half dozen races thrown in for fun (River City HM, Tri del Sol, Olympic GR Tri, and a few bike races)

That award sounds awesome! MiTi was my first 70.3 last summer and I loved it.

I am off to a good start. I finally weighed myself... that was rough. But now I have a starting point. Every time I think about skipping a workout or having some sweets I think of that number -- ha! I did overdo it on sushi last night but the small victory was that I didn't have any room for movie popcorn.

Yesterday I hit the pool for the second time this week which is Goal No. 1. After I stop derping around online I'll get on the bike for the third time this week, which is Goal No. 2. During my run Friday I passed 900 miles for the year which gets me closer to my Goal No. 3 of hitting 1,000 for the year. I am getting there!
2014-12-08 12:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
I'm thinking I am going to give "Pillars of Earth" a try and then rewatch Firefly. That should get me through Jan and into Feb. Pillars of earth is similar to GoT so I figure it is worth a try. I already have a scheduled night to rewatch GoT and that is Sunday's at 9pm, we are just into the second season and should wrap it up just in time for the new season to start.

If anyone is in the Royal Oak/Berkley area and would like to have a couple trainer sessions, let me know, I have some room in the basement for another bike or two. (one extra trainer).
2014-12-09 7:19 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Originally posted by Puppetmaster

Joe

Rivertown Races in GR has a half on 4/25. I'm using it as a training run for the Riverbank Run. Supposed to be a nice easy course.
2014-12-10 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I did 8 on the treadmill today (I draw the line at wind chills in the teens), bringing my yearly total to 932. If I can keep an average of 3.25 per day, I'll hit 1,000 by the end of the year. I'm looking forward to the warmer temperatures expected later this week. The longer temperatures are relatively warm on the weekends, the more I'm tempted by the idea of a spring marathon...

I also finished season 1 of Breaking Bad today and started on season 2. I'm glad I stuck with it this time. =)

2014-12-11 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
You can do it Miles!
2014-12-11 7:19 AM

User image

It took me 2 tries to really get into Breaking Bad but I was glad I stuck with it... such a great show and one of the few that actually has a good ending. I was going to start Lost but have been told by several people that the ending is so bad it ruins the entire show, not the case with Breaking Bad.

Good luck on the mileage! Everything I've heard points to a mild November, which sucks for skiing but it's great for running

BTW, I'm enjoying your blog... actually inspired me to start my own!
2014-12-11 10:45 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

It took me 2 tries to really get into Breaking Bad but I was glad I stuck with it... such a great show and one of the few that actually has a good ending. I was going to start Lost but have been told by several people that the ending is so bad it ruins the entire show, not the case with Breaking Bad.

Good luck on the mileage! Everything I've heard points to a mild November, which sucks for skiing but it's great for running

Don't let other people drive your opinion on that. I loved Lost, despite any flaws it may have had, and I had no problem with the ending. Remember that it is for entertainment.

2014-12-11 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

Ha, I am totally sucked in by now. I mean, I knew the basic premise and even watched the finale, but I hadn't watched it all the way through yet.

And thanks! I added yours to my Feedly.
2014-12-12 10:07 AM

User image

I'm planning to jump up to the Olympic distance in 2015. I'm planning the Motor City Tri in June and Island Lake Tri in August -- both Olympic distance (I've done a half a dozen sprint distance races).

I'm also going to mix in the Anchor Bay Triathlon in July (it's 1/2 mile swim, 11 mile bike, 3 mile run). I did this race in 2000 and 2001 as my first triathlons as a college student ... both ended pretty poorly. I was under prepared and, well. I just have bad memories. Anyway, 15 years later seems like a good time to exact some revenge on that course.

I'm swimming a couple of times a week right now and jumping on the trainer now and again. My real training starts in January, I think.

2014-12-12 10:13 AM
in reply to: jeremyscarroll

User image

Oh ... and since we're talking TV shows too. I plan to start watching the Walking Dead during trainer sessions. It's probably a decent thing that I don't have a heart rate monitor. (I haven't seen an episode, but have friends that swear by it.)
2014-12-16 10:26 PM
in reply to: #5072545

User image

Regular
Traverse City, MI
After taking a break for a couple years... bought a house, quit my job and started my own business I decided enough is enough .... I need to do a triathlon in 2015.

Signed up for the Traverse City Triathlon - half distance, which is new for 2015. I'm sure I'll end up doing East Jordan, Interockin, and whatever else my ADD mind gets me into.
2014-12-18 10:58 AM
in reply to: lodac

User image

Veteran
Berkley
There are a few people who plan on racing in the Motor City Tri this year. I just saw that they posted their registration but we missed the Black Friday sale. It looks like we have 2 weeks before a "big" price jump:

Individual
$70 Black Friday with code
$75 thru Dec 31
$90 Jan 1 thru April 19th
$100 April 20th and after
2014-12-19 6:52 AM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

I saved quite a bit of money by signing up for the majority of my races before the end of this year. I would advise anyone to check each of their planned races to see if registration is open and if the savings are worth it. The only one I passed on was the GR Marathon as it was only a $5 difference. Savings on MiTi and GR Tri were more than worthwhile.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where is everyone? Let's talk next season! Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Talk to me about Michigan Titanium, especially the bike hills Pages: 1 2

Started by Miles around Midtown
Views: 3072 Posts: 33

2014-09-20 3:14 PM Miles around Midtown

Let's make a triathlon - CANCEL. Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by rkreuser
Views: 10460 Posts: 281

2009-05-18 8:11 PM jogo

Hello Everyone!

Started by ronk
Views: 1063 Posts: 9

2008-05-06 3:02 AM epicstruggle

Let's try this again....4/19-20th?? Pages: 1 2

Started by trixie
Views: 2050 Posts: 36

2008-04-20 12:20 PM matt3liv

ok people, let's try this AGAIN!! run this weekend... Pages: 1 2 3

Started by trixie
Views: 2004 Posts: 60

2007-03-26 8:05 AM sushigirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
comments : 0
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.