General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where is everyone? Let's talk next season! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-12-20 6:02 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: RE: Where is everyone? Let's talk next season!
I'm always afraid I'll jinx myself by signing up for a race too early. More than once I've had a friend get married on marathon weekend and had to make other plans... ugh!

2014-12-20 7:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I've never been one to sign up for a race super early, but for some reason I did that this year. Two prep races and a main race:

May 9: Willow Duathlon
May 15: Skyline Tri (indoor swim)
June 14: Motor City

Here's to no injuries or unfortunate scheduling, I guess.

Edited by jeremyscarroll 2014-12-20 8:00 PM
2014-12-21 12:46 PM
in reply to: jeremyscarroll

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by jeremyscarroll

I've never been one to sign up for a race super early, but for some reason I did that this year. Two prep races and a main race:

May 9: Willow Duathlon
May 15: Skyline Tri (indoor swim)
June 14: Motor City

Here's to no injuries or unfortunate scheduling, I guess.

Ooooh, nice. Those aren't too far out in the schedule. I think you'll be fine.

Can you believe I've never done a du or a tri with a pool swim? Maybe I should do an early-season one this year. For the last couple of years my first multisport event has been Island Lake, over Memorial Day weekend.
2014-12-22 8:10 AM
in reply to: #5070699

User image

Fortunately I've reached the point where most of my friends are married and already have kids so I can't be surprised with any weddings or baby stuff! I'm not a huge fan of entering races early, but it did save me a couple of hundred bucks and that adds up quickly. Heck, I can use that to buy a new pair of bibs or cycling shoes!

It seems like most everyone is on the east side of the state, judging by your races. Am I the only west michigan peep?
2014-12-26 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by Toefuzz

It seems like most everyone is on the east side of the state, judging by your races. Am I the only west michigan peep?

I don't think you're the only but it does seem that most of us are from metro Detroit.

I finished season 2 of Breaking Bad on the trainer the other day and started on season 3. I also randomly started watching Parks and Recreation one night and could NOT stop laughing, so now I have to add that show to my queue before the next season comes out. I have a lot of trainer watching to do. =)

As far as mileage goes, I hit 100 for the month today, hooray! That leaves 10.45 before I hit my goal of 1,000 for the year. It may be my highest non-marathon training month EVER.
2014-12-27 9:31 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
Congratulations on the mileage.

My kids got me hooked on Parks and Rec and The Office a few years ago. I find both shows very funny.

2014-12-27 9:07 PM
in reply to: #5076255

User image

Congrats on the mileage!

I've found that I can watch comedies while in the trainer, but not the treadmill. I just about killed myself watching Anchorman 2. Parks and Rec is a great show. Ron Swanson is my hero. If you enjoy British shows check out the original version of The Office and IT Crowd.
2014-12-29 1:08 PM

User image

Marshall Michigan
Bike 2014 - 3700 miles. goal for 2015 - 5500 miles

Run 2014 - 400 miles. goal for 2015 - 730 miles

Races - well I have list started - but have no clue where the money will fall.

For sure I'll be hitting some Mtb races in spring - and Climax - seahorse...it's so close to home, i need to stop making excuses for this race!

I've always wanted to race in Detroit...
Titanium has been tossed around alot! - to chicken...

Steelhead or Ludington

Something in Chicago - Tri or Marathon

2014 has been a crappy year and also wonderful at the same time...

I know one thing - I love my paper route! wouldn't be here without it.

pb

2014-12-31 10:29 AM
in reply to: Paper Boy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Wahoo! I hit my 1,000 miles yesterday. On the treadmill, because I don't "do" single-digit weather, but still -- hooray!

Paperboy, that sounds like a good lineup!
2014-12-31 10:34 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
Congrats on hitting the 1000. I always do the math, count the weeks, think about it - and then lower the goal....so 730 is my goal for 2015..then I can say I ran 2 miles a day everyday in 2015... wish me luck.

Your a rock star. 20 miles per week for 50 weeks...you go girl.
2014-12-31 10:40 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
I live in Marshall (next to battle creek) work in K-zoo.

I hit the trails at yankee springs, and fort custard for mtbing.

I swim at a few lakes in the area, but would love to meet up this summer and go for some rides and swims with ANYONE! I'm always alone in this training stuff. So keep in touch - I'm always logging my stuff everyday so I'm easy to get in touch with.

Happy New Year!

pb

2015-01-01 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Started the new year with a trainer ride and a treadmill run since the wind chills were in the single digits here. I also started on season 4 of Breaking Bad!

I'm a bit scared to go to the Y tomorrow for a swim. I'm sure it will be packed.

Edited by Miles around Midtown 2015-01-01 6:24 PM
2015-01-01 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Also, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!
2015-01-04 7:22 AM
in reply to: #5070699

User image

PB - I think I'm going to get to Yankee a few times this year. Maybe we can meet up. I'm fortunate as I love within a few miles of Luton Park, Merrell Trail, Cannonsburg Ski Area and State Game area. I also found a great place to swim on a lake in our neighborhood that is almost free of boats!

2015-01-07 8:05 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
I did the iceman cometh last Nov....the best biking experiance of my life...has brought my mtbing confidance up to a new level...not fast as most..but i belong on the trail.

So during the race I was able to talk to more than a few guys and 2 of them said Merrel.

Yes lets meet at yankee springs - than the next ride you show me what GR area has to offer.

Berry rouxber??? poor spelling there - do you do this race in the spring? I have always wanted to - on the radar - just can't drop the money.

have a super day.
pb
2015-01-07 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Checking in, although I really don't have anything new to report.

I finished season 4 of Breaking Bad on the treadmill today. SPOILER ALERT!!! I wanted to throat punch Ted Beneke most of this season -- no wonder he ran his dad's company into the ground. And although it was a close race, my husband and I agreed that Tio Salmanca was the biggest bada$$ this season. OK, END OF SPOILERS.

I don't go outside any longer than it takes the dogs to poop when it's this cold, so I've been doing all my runs and rides inside. I'm actually looking forward to 31 degrees on Sunday. I've also been feeling blah and lethargic all week and I'm sure the weather has a lot to do with it.

2015-01-08 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
My goal of 1k miles running has really started slow this year with this weather. I don't mind running in single digits but that wind chill is awful. If I can get about 50 miles of running this month, I think I will still be in good shape to hit 1k by the end of the year. So I've been hitting the bike trainer harder than planned, but I started watching community and ripping through a few episodes a night. It looks like next week the weather should get in the upper teens and the winds should die down.

My sister is going to do her first tri this year, so her has her running gear, swimming gear and just need a bike helmet. We haven't swam yet this season, but we swim up at the High School and they have been closed with the Winter break.

Signed up for the Motor City tri before the price jump. Island Lake (Aug) race price doesn't jump until the end of March so I will sign up for that one in the next month or so.
2015-01-11 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown I'm always afraid I'll jinx myself by signing up for a race too early. More than once I've had a friend get married on marathon weekend and had to make other plans... ugh!

This year I signed up for the Greenville Sprint and the River Bank Run early only to get hit with some serious back issues.  Not sure what I'll be able to do this summer... Multiple bulging disks, one herniated... Met with a surgeon Monday and have surgery scheduled for 3/12...However he's recommending I try steroid injections first so maybe I'll get lucky and avoid surgery..

Toefuzz, you're not alone in West Michigan...I live off the beltline and 3-mile area.  I'm curious what lake you swim on that has virtually no boat traffic.. Around here most  lakes I'm familiar with have a lot of boat traffic.. Glad to hear you found one!

My goals for 2015 are to lose a few pounds and continue at least biking and swimming... I've been very happy to be able to continue swimming 3x weekly... Helps my mind as much as my body...

2015-01-12 10:35 AM
in reply to: #5079331

User image

Mike - that sucks about the back! I'm up in Rockford, off of Belding Road. Let me know if your up for swimming and I'll show you the secret spot
2015-01-12 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Toefuzz Mike - that sucks about the back! I'm up in Rockford, off of Belding Road. Let me know if your up for swimming and I'll show you the secret spot

Count on it!  I swim 5-6K yards a week staring at a black line on the bottom of the pool, I can't wait to get in the open water... Not that open water swimming doesn't present it's own unique challenges..

I just think it's good to have regular open water swimming in prior to and during race season...

Thanks!

2015-01-12 4:08 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by Paper Boy

I did the iceman cometh last Nov....the best biking experiance of my life...has brought my mtbing confidance up to a new level...not fast as most..but i belong on the trail.

So during the race I was able to talk to more than a few guys and 2 of them said Merrel.

Yes lets meet at yankee springs - than the next ride you show me what GR area has to offer.

Berry rouxber??? poor spelling there - do you do this race in the spring? I have always wanted to - on the radar - just can't drop the money.

have a super day.
pb

Merrel and Luton are both fun mountain bike rides. I am a complete novice on the mountain bike, so I am not a great judge on what makes a quality trail, but I tried both of those out for the first time last fall, and enjoyed both of them. They are only a few miles apart in Rockford, so you can hit both of them on the same day if you want.

2015-01-12 4:12 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by Toefuzz

Mike - that sucks about the back! I'm up in Rockford, off of Belding Road. Let me know if your up for swimming and I'll show you the secret spot
If you guys ever plan on a swim together, let me know. I'm over in Jenison, but I float around Grand Rapids a lot, so I could make it. I prefer to do most of my swimming in the pool (I have some allergy issues with a lot of lakes that I prefer to keep to a minimum when possible).

I also end up in the Novi area for work almost every week for a day or two, so I get to enjoy the benefits of Island Lake and Kensington quite frequently. ILRA is easily my favorite place to train.

Edited by MSU_Brad 2015-01-12 4:12 PM
2015-01-12 4:22 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by MSU_Brad
Originally posted by Toefuzz Mike - that sucks about the back! I'm up in Rockford, off of Belding Road. Let me know if your up for swimming and I'll show you the secret spot
If you guys ever plan on a swim together, let me know. I'm over in Jenison, but I float around Grand Rapids a lot, so I could make it. I prefer to do most of my swimming in the pool (I have some allergy issues with a lot of lakes that I prefer to keep to a minimum when possible). I also end up in the Novi area for work almost every week for a day or two, so I get to enjoy the benefits of Island Lake and Kensington quite frequently. ILRA is easily my favorite place to train.

A friend of mine says the same thing about Kensington.  I've thought about hitting it some weekend or on a day off in the summer... Unfortunately nothing around west michigan that I'm aware of that compares...

As for putting a swim together, sounds good.  My parents live on a lake up north but that means 70-75 minutes one way in the car... Everything else around GR that I'm aware of involve lots of boats and/or it's a private lake..

2015-01-13 9:17 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by TriMike

I also end up in the Novi area for work almost every week for a day or two, so I get to enjoy the benefits of Island Lake and Kensington quite frequently. ILRA is easily my favorite place to train.

A friend of mine says the same thing about Kensington.  I've thought about hitting it some weekend or on a day off in the summer... Unfortunately nothing around west michigan that I'm aware of that compares...

Are you ever there on the weekend, or just during the week? I spend a significant portion of my Saturdays there during the summer doing long days of swim, bike and run. I prefer Island Lake over Kensington, and while sometimes I'll run the trail that connects both on my long brick days, Kensington seems more recreation-focused where you find a lot of serious athletes (especially cyclists) training in Island Lake. Not to say that you can't, of course.
2015-01-13 10:10 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
i just read your goal - everything I did last year but in less time...

I like it - and if you don't mind will be adding it to my goals as well.

I will do everything I did in 2014 in less time in 2015...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where is everyone? Let's talk next season! Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Talk to me about Michigan Titanium, especially the bike hills Pages: 1 2

Started by Miles around Midtown
Views: 3083 Posts: 33

2014-09-20 3:14 PM Miles around Midtown

Let's make a triathlon - CANCEL. Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by rkreuser
Views: 10479 Posts: 281

2009-05-18 8:11 PM jogo

Hello Everyone!

Started by ronk
Views: 1065 Posts: 9

2008-05-06 3:02 AM epicstruggle

Let's try this again....4/19-20th?? Pages: 1 2

Started by trixie
Views: 2061 Posts: 36

2008-04-20 12:20 PM matt3liv

ok people, let's try this AGAIN!! run this weekend... Pages: 1 2 3

Started by trixie
Views: 2016 Posts: 60

2007-03-26 8:05 AM sushigirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
comments : 0
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.