Ironman Louisville - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Louisville, Kentucky
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
92F / 33C
Total Time = 14h 41m 39s
Overall Rank = 1247/1975
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 184/260
Pre-race routine:

Got to Louisville Wed evening. Checked into hotel and got a bite to eat. Thur got checked in and looked around the expo. Friday - practice swim in River, race briefing, went to athlete dinner and met some BT peoples. Sat - practice swim, check bike and bags in, Then watched 3 quarters of Bama whupping Clemson. Roll Tide!!!
Event warmup:

Got to transition at 4:45 and stood in line to get into transition. Pumped up the tires, turned in special needs bags, put nutrition on bike, and headed to swim start. I thought I was going to be early and get in the front part of the line to get in the water. Got body marked, said goodbye to the family, and headed to the back of the line. The line was LONG, I kept going and going before finally reaching the end. First part of the plan to go awry. Thought about trying to cut in line somewhere, but didn't want that kind of karma to start the day.
I was too far away from the start to hear any of the announcements. We basically sat in the dark for 1.5 hours taking turns using the bushes as a bathroom. Ate 1/2 a Clif Bar and 1 gel while we were waiting.
Finally heard the cannon and knew the pros were off. Ten minutes until the line should move.
  • 1h 22m 55s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards

Line started moving and before long we could see the start. Walking down the last part I could see my family and friends and they were cheering like crazy, it was really electric.
Walked across the timing mat, find a open piece of water to jump in and take the leap to start the day.
Jumped in the water got a good drink of not so refreshing Ohio River water. Started to swim toward the island as I heard the current would be less close to the island as opposed to the shore. I did have a little bought of the old panic attack. The thoughts of "what are you doing?" "you don't want to do this" "you need to get out of the water" I knew these thoughts would come and kinda laughed at myself knowing if I just keep swimming for a few minutes it would get better and I'd be fine. That's exactly what happened.
It wasn't too crowded heading out. There was contact and people swimming past me and people to swim past (which is still new to me), but I did not take a beating like I've read in other race reports.
Made the turn finally and headed downriver. I really thought the current would be stronger taking me home, but it didn't seem very strong. I didn't get out into the channel as far as I had planned, but I think I chose an allright line. No major problems in the water other than my swim cap kept wanting to come off. I had to stop 1/2 dozen times to fix it.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe find someone to draft of of. My goal swim time was somewhere between 1:15 and 1:30 so 1:23 was right on.
Transition 1
  • 07m 15s

Was not in a hurry in either transition (obviously by the times). Jogged up got my bag and into my first transition change tent. Dumped my bag on the ground. Put my bike jersey on (this took some time since I was still wet). Took some gas pills since I have a tendency to swallow some air during the swim. Put on some sunscreen and lube. I left my helmet and shoes on the bike so I headed that way. Found my bike no problem and headed out of T1.
What would you do differently?:

Just speed it up a little. Practice or at least go through the motions of what I'm going to do, I kinda winged it on this one. Just packed everything I might need and grabbed what I wanted.
  • 6h 18m 27s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.76 mile/hr

Got on the bike and headed out of T1 area. There was a bump to get onto the road. I went down the bump and my HR monitor went flying off my bike and skidded across the pavement. I had a bandless monitor "strapped" to the rubber adapter thingy on my bike. It didn't make it past the first bump. At first I though oh well, I still know my time on the speedo. About 20 seconds later, it dawns on my that now I will not know my HR. All my training has been HR based, but there was no turning back now, so the rest of the ride, 111.75 miles, were done by RPE.
The flat out I tried to take it easy and spin a higher cadence. It was the most crowded ride I've ever been on. Constant passing people and getting passed.
Hit the out and back and started down the huge downhill. I was flying, but watching the people coming back up the other side. I knew that was not going to be fun. Got to the bottom and started up the hill still going out. There I got to watch the people flying down the hill I was climbing going the other way. Made the turn around back down the hill and then up the next.
Got to the start of the loop and saw a sign that said 8 miles to LaGrange. Awesome!! I knew my family and friends would be there. Constant hills and constant shifting gears. I would get passed going up the hills, but pass alot of people going back down down the other side. I used my lowest gear on, I think, every hill. Got to LaGrange and it was incredible. So many people including my cheering section.
I stopped once on the first loop to pee. I just can't pee on my bike.
I got water at every aid station and refilled my aerobottle with Infinit every hour.
Second loop was more of the same, hills, water, infinit, and wind. Oh, yeah I forgot about the wind. I wasn't a strong wind, but a constant annoying wind that seemed to be hitting head on about 3/4 of the loop.
The last part of the 2nd loop I had a little time where I was down. I took a gel and soon felt a little better, so I took another.
Heading back in I was feeling good and passed a lot of people the last flat section heading into town and transition.
What would you do differently?:

I really don't think I pushed the bike too hard and I think I kept my HR in check. Looking back I maybe should have taken in more water, but I'm not entirely sure I could have without getting sick. I only peed once and usually do at least 2 if not more on training rides. If I do another hilly IM, I will get different gearing. I have compact cranks, but only a 12-23 rear cassette.
Transition 2
  • 12m 30s

Wow!! I must have fallen asleep. Came in and a volunteer took my bike for me, that was awesome. I knew it was taking awhile, but wanted to try to set myself up for a good run. I saw Brandon (getsome) in the tent and he looked to be doing well and ready for a great run. I got everything together and got sprayed with sunscreen. Stopped at the porta-potty and saw the dark urine and knew there might be a problem.
What would you do differently?:

Hurry up!!! Honestly just move through with a little more purpose. The guy sitting next to me wanted to chat while we got ready, I would wait to chat until I started running so at least I would be moving.
  • 6h 40m 32s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 17s  min/mile

Running out of T2 I felt good. Saw some friends then ran across the bridge and back. Saw my family. Saw my 1 and 2 mile time and knew I was going too fast and my HR was too high. I planned and knew my first 5k should be one of the slowest of the marathon, but with all the people and excitement it did not happen. I then fought my HR the next few miles. It was HOT!!!
After about 4 miles, the leg cramps started, I never actually cramped, but my calves were on the verge for the rest of the day. I adopted a jog 8 minutes walk 1 jog to the aid station and walk the aid station. This worked for awhile. My HR was still high. I was taking in my usual sip of gel, e-cap, and water at each aid station. But, for some reason the gel was not what I was wanting.
I made it to the turn around and was my belly was not cooperating, so I decided to do some extended walking to try to get my HR down and cool down. I had also been using the wet sponges which felt great but soaked my feet. I stopped with those to try to help my feet endure. I felt something in my left shoe, righ in the middle front of my foot. I thought it might be a small pebble or something and just thought I'd get it out at special needs.
My HR came down, but I couldn't tolerate any more gel, so I started with Gatorade, e-caps, and water. Made it to special needs, where I changed my hats. I had more gel in there but didn't want it. I got my shoe off without cramping up, which was a trick. I didn't find anything in the sock or shoe, but this ended up turning into a huge blister.
Just before the turnaround I saw my family and friends, I slowed to a walk and chatted with them for a little bit. Made it to the turn around which is about 1 block from the finish, what a tease.
About 1/2 the way back out I met up with Shaun(CubeFarmGopher)who was having a tough day as well. He did the math and figured we could walk most of the rest of it and make it in under 15 hours. This sounded fine with me. I knew I could finish if I walked, I wasn't sure I would be able to finish if I had tried to run. So, I walked and talked with him for the next couple of hours until about 2 miles to go.
I ran in the last 2 miles and actually felt pretty good. The finish was amazing. I honestly can't wait to do that again. I wanted to run around the block and finish again.
What would you do differently?:

I did not pee once during the run (actually not until about 1:30am, this is very not like me. I need to get my hydration nailed down a little better. I don't know, part of me thinks I could have run more the second loop, but part of me realized that had I tried, I might not have finished and finishing was the #1 goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Got pic taken, met up with family, watched and welcomed Shaun finishing.
It was amazing to have my family and friends there. They had a very long day, but were a very positive and motivating force all day. A huge thank you to all of them.
Went to KICC to medical to see about needing an IV. I asked if they had a scale so I could see where I was weight wise, but I was told they didn't have a scale and that it would be inaccurate anyway at that point. I still don't understand that, I was not wanting to see how much I weighed just to get a low weight, I wanted to see how much I may be dehydrated. They weighed us at check in and took our hydration levels. The line to get an IV was long and there were a lot of people in worse shape than me and more coming in, so I passed.
My training partner picked up my bike bike for me. I retrieved my morning bag and got a little to eat. The wait list for massage was huge as well so I passed on that as well.
Went back and watched the finishers until the end. I just didn't want to leave.
I got to see the last finisher and the first non official finisher. She came down the chute to cheers, but was not offered a shirt or medal. There was a finisher on the outside of the fence who waved her over and he put his medal around her neck. What a touching moment that was and most of the people there didn't even know it happened. One of the event organizers went and got him another medal, but said "no more." That just re-enforces why I love this triathlon stuff and all the tripeoples.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and lack of hydration. I'm pretty sure my training was good, I just don't think I executed a great race.

Event comments:

Great, Awesome experience. I enjoyed every aspect of the weekend. Everything was so organized it was amazing. I can't wait to do another. IMMOO 2010!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-27 12:00 AM
01:22:55 | 4224 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 150/260
Overall: 934/1975
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Swim upriver between the island and the shore, then continue upriver for 3 or 4 more buoys, make a turn and head downriver to swim exit.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
Time: 07:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
06:18:27 | 112 miles | 17.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 129/260
Overall: 746/1975
Performance: Good
Course: First and last 8? miles are pretty flat then come the rolling (read constant) hills.
Road:   Cadence: 85
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Time: 12:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
06:40:32 | 26.2 miles | 15m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 184/260
Overall: 1247/1975
Performance: Bad
This is my best guess of mile splits and HR's. I got confused and didn't always hit the button at the right time. Mile 1 - 10:31/156bpm 2 - 10:46/158 (Bridge) 3 - 10:32/162 4 - 12:53/162 (Into the Heat) 5&6 - 29:33/158 7 - 15:09/152 8&9 - 29:58/150 10 - 16:47/140 11 - 17:24/128 12 - 18:28/120 13 - 21:02/129 14&15 - 39:12/134 (Special Needs & See Family) 16 - 14:44/136 17-24.5 - 2:19:37/110 (Walk with Cube) 24.5-26.2 - 14:02/162 Total: 6:41:34/132
Course: Out across the bridge and back then the course is pretty straight with a 2 loop out and back. Sunny and hot midday. Only 2 small hills that I remember.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Course challenge
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5