Redman Triathlon - Half Redman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
United States
Oklahoma Redman Triathlon
70F / 21C
Total Time = 6h 34m 36s
Overall Rank = 479/
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/23
Pre-race routine:

Well I was originally not going to do this race because Loghorn 70.3 was going to be my "A" race in October. But I got suckered into racing since it was the USAT Club National Championships and my club ended up sending 53 people! Aaand I wanted to do the Olympic but realized I wouldn't be able to go out in Bricktown Saturday night if I did that (Half was Saturday, Sprint/Oly on Sunday). So yeah... I did this race so I could drink Saturday night! LOL!

Worked half a (very hectic) day Friday, and Tom and I drove down to OKC with friends Eric and his girlfriend. Did all of the bike check-in, pre-race meeting stuf. Met Robin (TriOK) and bought a "Pace Booty" shirt from her, heh! Saw Tony and Wavedog, and lots of Tri Club folks. Ate dinner at On the Border, got back to the hotel to organize stuff, and tried to get to sleep at a decent time. I had a REALLY difficult time sleeping because Eric, who was staying in our room, is a terrible snorer. The worst. It was so loud. I had a pillow over my head most of the night and it STILL kept me awake. Probably slept a total of 2 hours all night. Oh well.
Event warmup:

Up at 4:00 a.m. Organized junk. Almost forgot wetsuit :). Out the door at 4:30. At the race site before 5:00. Set up and ready to go by 5:30. As soon as I got all set up and pottied early, it started to rain. Eeehhh... a little sprinkle never hurt anyone, right? RIGHT? A little bit later, it started coming down harder. And harder. And harder. Now it was pouring. Sucky suck suck!!!!

Pulled the wetsuit all the way on mostly to stay warm. It was cold in the pouring rain. Went over to the swim start with everyone else while we heard the announcer tell us some interesting news. It had rained so hard in such a small amount of time that a portion of the bike course was impassable. Ooookay. They passed out garbage bags and told us the race would be delayed while they tried to make a decision. They mentioned the threat of the race being turned into a swim-run-swim (everyone groaned but me - I was cheering). We hung tight, huddling and nervously chatting about nothing.

FINALLY they came back and said the tri was ON, but there would be a mandatory dismount at the impassable area on the bike at mile 6. Everyone cheered and got ready to race!! It was still raining, and the corners of transition were flooded.

  • 34m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards

I had to pee soooooo bad because of the hour delay and I really didn't want to take my wetsuit down before the race so I'd held it. As Soon as my feet hit the water I let loose. Felt SO much better! I lined up at the very front of the womenz, and wasn't sure that was the best decision at the time, but I now I think it was.

The gun went off and so did I. After the first 30 seconds, it got crowded. People weren't climbing over me, but they were pushing me around a lot. I hung tight trying to keep my position. There was a CRAZY amount of contact in this race. I kept thinking it was great practice for the Iromnan next year :).

My goggles had a tiny leak that I fixed right away. Since you could touch the bottom for most of the first half, people in the wave ahead of me (40+ males) were standing up and walking; had to maneuver around a few of them. Contact, contact, contact! I took an elbow to the eye once, and a few bops to my head. Eeh. Keep moving!

Rounded the bouey for the short part of the rectangle, swam with no issues to the next turn, and headed back on the other long part of the rectangle. Picked it up a litle bit here. I'd felt up until now I'd just been swimming "averagely" and wanted to go a bit faster now that I was past the halfway mark. Started passing green caps, who had started two waves - 6 minutes - before me.

About halfway through this stretch I felt like a current was pulling me in - it was AWESOME! I tried hard to take advantage of this. Came up to the last turn bouey and accidentaly scissor kicked a guy pretty hard. I actually said "SORRY!" and he said "IT'S OKAY!" so I didn't feel too bad.

Kicked it in HARD coming in to the boat ramp. I love this part of the swim. Guys were standing as soon as they could (water only to their waste!) but I was still a-swimming. I passed three guys just by swimming instead of walking! Swam till my fingers touched the cement and stood up. I had resisted looking at my watch during the swim, and when I glanced out of it as I exited the water I could not believe what it said. Just over 34 minutes. I was shooting for anything under 37 (my 70.3 swim PR is 37.01)!! HOLY CRAP! :) ):) :)

Completely elated, I ran up to a wetsuit stripper who got me out really fast and I was on my way up to transition.

2008 - 38:24
2009 - 34:57
What would you do differently?:

While I felt completely "average" during the swim, I apparently had the best swim of my LIFE! So... nothing!
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s

Ran fast up to my spot in transition and had to literally wring out my socks - everything was soaked through and through. Put on my soaking wet socks and bike shoes and everthing else and headed out.

Still raining.
What would you do differently?:


2008 - 1:54
2009 - 2:26
  • 3h 27m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.22 mile/hr

Rain, rain, GO AWAY!!! Uuugh. Started out the bike super doooper cautiously. I was incredibly uncomfortalbe in the rain. It was not fun at first. Got around the lake and headed out of town without getting into aero once. I told you... I was skiddish and honestly scared. Yes I have ridden in the rain before (and even through a flood plain, swept over, and caried! That was bad.). But never like this with 1000 other people whizzing by me going 25mph. I let them go. I rode cautiosly. On purpose. And I'm okay with that.

Got to the mandatory dismount and we had the choice to walk through the flood or around it in a grassy area. I followed everyone else and went into the grassy area. We all laughed about the situation and chatted while we walked. Definitely different.

Finally got a little more comfortable the farther out from town I got, and slipped into aero. The rain had let up a little. I was cold, but it was not unbearable. I relaxed a little and started pushing my legs harder. This is a flat course and I am bad about relaxing too much on flat courses - daydreaming and putzing around. So I tried really hard (after I settled down) to make every pedal stroke count.

Linda absolutely flew by me at the turn and I was happy for her! She looked amazing and ended up averaging over 19mph. GOOO LINDA! I chugged along, mooooed at some cows, watched everyone pass me. :( Hit the chip seal of death section and just tried to focus on getting past it. Hit the turnaround before I knew it.

It rained off and on the whole way back in, and I started to thaw out. Continued to watch people pass me :(

Pretty uneventful ride. I watched my average pace creep up from 15.9 to 16.0 to 16.1 and was VERY happy, despite watching everyone pass me. This was turning out to be a really good ride for me - last year on this course I averaged 15.79.

Coming in, I gave myself a pep talk. I said (out loud - hey I was bored) "Lisa... you just had the best swim of your life. You're about to finish the best ride of your life in a race. You ARE going to have the best run of your life, too! You can do it!" Yeah, I'm cheezy.

Rolled into the lake area and was very thankful I hadn't crashed, had a flat, or any mechanical issues. AND THEN... and then! and then! and then...!

I was like 2/10 of a mile from transition. I could see it. I was thinking about how I would dismount and how to run to my rack. Then I heard my front tire go flat! LOL OOOOH how crazy! Since I was so close I said "EFF IT, I'm rolling this sucker in!" No need to walk and add minutes to my bike time. Rode in with my front tire completely flat and noisy as hell. People were looking at it. I was just grateful - completely grateful - that I hadn't flatted any sooner. What a way to end my ride!

2008 - 3:32:44
2009 - 3:27:12
What would you do differently?:

Be a better cylist.
Not flat.
Transition 2
  • 04m 25s

I had to pee SOOOO freaking bad. Weird, since I only drank 3/4 bottle of GU20 and maybe 1 aero-bottle worth of water. My friend Kristin was in T2 at the same time, body gliding her feet and I told her about my flat. Dumped the standing water out of my running shoes (about 1/2 inch) and slid them on. My "sweat towel" I'd brought was so wet it was hilarous and somehow it also had mud on it. Left that there, but grabbed my visor (which also had mud on it??), 2 GUs and some Enduralytes. I halfway thought that my extra socks inside my drawstring bag would be dry, but when I picked up the bag, about a cup of water came streaming out the bottom. No such luck. I mentally prepared for some blisters.

Hit the porta potties inside T2, which is why the time is so dismal. It was either here or somewhere on the run and I was about to burst. The porta was absolutely disgusting. Muddy and wet and much more gross than usual. There was a tampon on the floor (not used, but swolen with water from the floor) but luckily there was toilet paper. I tried to move fast in there but I was terrified that the GUs I'd stuck in my shorts pocket (smooth move Lisa) would fall onto the nasty floor so I was pretty ginger with my motions inside there.

Ok... pottied and ready to run. Yippie-kai-yay.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not in a place where I'm comfortable with peeing on the bike, but that would have cut my T2 about in half. Ah well. It is what it is.

2008 - 2:11
2009 - 4:25
  • 2h 25m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile

It had finally stopped raining! Cloud cover was still there, which I was grateful for. The first mile was okay - I didn't feel good but I didn't feel terrible. It seemed really long. I saw Tom pretty soon after starting my run and we high-fived. I swear he said "I'm DONE after this!" meaning he was on his 2nd loop about to finish. I did some quick math in my head and wondered if that was really right. If so, he was having the race of his life (turns out he was! More on that later).

I grabbed some Gatorade at the first aid station and I immediately felt better. By mile 2, I was feeling AWESOME! I couldn't believe it! The sidewalks and trails were flooded in many places. You couldn't really go around - just had to SLOG through the ankle-deep water. Everyone's shoes were slish-sloshing but we had no control over any of that.

My visor had stretched out somehow, and it kept slipping down into my eyes - that was so annoying that I turned it around backwards and ran like that starting at mile 2. I looked so completely ridiculous! Whatev. I didn't want to carry it and I couldn't wear it front-wards.

I saw Kristin walking at mile 3 and I commented on how great I felt! I halfway thought about walking with her, but I really didn't want to stop. Miles 3, 4, and 5 were more of awesome. I think I was running around 10:30s but I'm not certain on the exact pace. I was alternating Gatorade and water, and every time I'd take the Gatorade I could literally feel it kick in a few minutes later. I'd have to alternate to water though since it was so sweet in my mouth.

Coming up to the turnaround to start my 2nd loop I saw Tom and Eric waiting for me. I heard Tom say "wait for it... wait for it!" as I neared him. He bent his knees and held his hand up for me to high five him as he yelled "SUB-5!" SHUT UP THOMAS YOU WENT SUB FIVE!!! He was shooting for 5:10 and I couldn't believe it. I screamed like a teenager and told him how proud of him I was. That really boosted my spirits as I made the turnaround.

My goal for the 2nd loop was to keep running till at least Mile 10. I knew it would be tough. It was getting brighter and warmer. I chugged along and started taking Coke at the aid stations. I know I took a Snickers at one of them too - that was good.

I gave in and walked at Mile 9 quickly - wish I wouldn't have. The sun was out now and burning down on me. So I decided to take some Enduralytes at the 10-mile (I think) aid station. Not sure if they helped or not, but they didn't hurt. I think this was the aid station that the Full 140.6-distance leader was coming through at the same time as me! The volunteers kinda yelled at us to move over to give him some room but he ended up walking through the aid station with the rest of us. (he ended up winning the whole thing!).

The last 2 miles seemed to take forever. I walked more than I wanted to for sure. My PR time had come and gone which discouraged me a tiny bit, but I was not mad about it. I knew I'd finish WAY under my time from this course last year.

Finally I chugged around to the final stretch and my tri club was ready and waiting for me! Lots of cheering and cowbelling as I ran by. Up to the red carpet and the announcer called my name, hometown, tri club, and the number of 70.3s I'd completed. Crossed over and actually ran a little farther than I needed to, straight into the food tent, LOL! I said "Oh, am I done?" and a volunteer took off my timing chip and gave me my finisher's shirt. My throat closed up like it always does at the finish line and I had to gasp for air for little bit. I knew it would go away so I just walked through the food tent to meet Tom on the other side.

2008 - 2:39:33
2009 - 2:25:35
What would you do differently?:

Not stop running. But really, nothing else. I was very proud of my run and that I made it to mile 9 before I stopped. I was even running through the aid stations up until then.

I had a better run at Kansas 70.3 (and it was MUCH hotter) this year, I think mostly because I had come off of a marathon 3 months prior, so my run fitness was very high. I'd like to incorporate more run training into my 70.3 training plans. But regardless, I ran this run 14 minutes faster than last year and that makes me happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Gave Tom the biggest hug EVER, to congratulate him on going Sub-5. Walked down to the tri club tent and started drinking my protein smoothie and some Gatorade. I felt pretty good - SO much better than this race last year. My fitness has really come a long way in the past year.

After we watched all of the club members come in (except for those on the 140.6 course - they'd be out there for awhile) and some of the first 140.6 finishers, we went back to the hotel to clean up and such. Went to dinner with Eric and his girlfriend - Eric was racing the Sprint the next day. Met Tony and Wavedog for a drinky-drink but we were sooooo tired we didn't really make it a "going out" night that we'd planned on. Slept pretty dang good that night.

Sunday we watched the Sprint and Olympic races and hung out with the tri club most of the day. Our club got 2nd in the Club Nationals competition (in our division) to Northwest Arkansas - they rocked the points! Drove back to Wichita and got into town around 6 p.m. Just in time for pizza and a movie to relax and end the weekend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Strength on the bike.
Consistency in run training.

Event comments:

The race director had a tough decision to make this year with the crazy amounts of rain the morning of the race. Thankfully we got to do the entire triathlon and it ended up working out well - even with a mandatory dismount on the bike through a flooded section.

The volunteers and law enforcement on the bike course are amazing at this race! Great venue and organization.

Last updated: 2009-07-23 12:00 AM
00:34:57 | 2112 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy sleeveless
Course: Long rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Time: 02:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
03:27:12 | 56 miles | 16.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: "L" shape out and back.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Time: 04:25
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
02:25:35 | 13.1 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5