Ironman USA Lake Placid - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Placid, New York
United States
75F / 24C
Total Time = 16h 28m 11s
Overall Rank = 1995/2160
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 73/77
Pre-race routine:

Well, it all started when I watched Craig, Heidi and Brad compete in IMMOO 05. I came home and printed out the Community Fund application for Brad and I. I went back and forth for so long and had the entire application completed, but hadn't yet signed it. I then made the decision and convinced Tim to join Brad and I. And sarted official training on December 12 with 5 of the most amazing people!
Event warmup:

Woke up at 3:45 am to get my body awake and moving. Forced down a banana and a bagel with PB (Thanks, Laura!) while trying to not cry (I think that was the theme of the day). Loaded the car with the remaining bags and we were off. Brad's sister dropped me, Brad and Tim down at the special needs area. After dropping off our bags, the three of us and Laura walked to get body marked. After that, we went into the transition area and pumped up our tires and put our bottles on our bikes. I had a few things I needed to put in my T1 and T2 bags so I went and did that. At this point, it was sprinkling and I was really not looking forward to spending the entire day in the rain! We found some space in the massage tent where Brad, Tim and I put on our wetsuits as I continued to try to eat.
We ran into Craig, Heidi and Nate in the transition area and they joined us in the massage tent as we finished getting ready.
We breifly split up as some people were hitting the bathrooms. We met back up again outside the gate with Laura and started to walk to the lake. I am trying my best at this point not to freak out. We met up with Heidi and Amy's family and got a picture or two taken before walking to the beach. It was absolutely overwhelming walking past all of the spectators and athletes at this point and I started crying for about the tenth time that day. The six of us huddled and said our good lucks before crossing over the timing mat. Craig and Heidi moved to the front of the pack and I think Nate may have hit the bathroom again =). Tim, Brad and I hung out in waist deep water until closer to 7:00. I hugged Tim one last time and gave Brad a hug and kiss and started crying again before we got into the water.
I just looked around before the clock hit 7 and tried to take it all in. It was so amazing and emotional to see that many athletes and spectators!
  • 1h 10m 46s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters

The swim was the craziest thing ever! Lots and lots of people! I managed to settle into a nice, steady pace early on. I focused on my bilateral breathing and it was nice to have the great draft and not have to worry about sighting. I was hit a few times with other's arms/hands, but nothing too bad. A few times I found myself right on top of the line in the water. I continued to try to stay on the side of it so I didn't run into the buoys. The turns were crazy as people piled up onto eachother as the group slowed down. I looked at my watch as I reached the end of the first loop and was pleased. I thought the second loop would be less physical, but was wrong. I guess the good part is that the draft was great! The time in the swim flew by and before I knew it, I was getting out of the water. I found a peeler, layed on the ground and was up in a split second with my wetsuit in my arms. I heard Brad's sister and mom along with a few others cheering as I ran towards T1.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all! I was so pleased with my swim! I guess I could have picked up the pace just a little....I'm so competitive with Brad and it would have been nice to beat him in one of the three disciplines for the day. Ended up being 21 seconds slower, but still had a solid swim. =)
Transition 1
  • 11m 8s

I am usually a walker for the first bit out of the water, but I managed to run to the transition area. I was handed my T1 bag and directed to the changing tent. After adjusting to how dark the tent was, I found a chair and took out my stuff. I felt like I was moving so slowly and by my time, I was, but I didn't want to forget anything for the bike. By this time, it stopped raining (we later heard it poured during the swim), I debated on whether or not to take arm warmers since it was a little chilly. I figured it would warm up as the day went on and they would annoy me so I decided to leave them. I restuffed by bag and was out of the tent where I saw and heard Brad's sister and mom again. A volunteer helped me get my bike off the rack and I was off to the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Hustle just a bit more, but like I said, I didn't want to forget anything since it's a long day.
  • 8h 38m 6s
  • 112 miles
  • 12.97 mile/hr

When our group made a trip to LP over Memorial weekend, I did one loop of the course and it kicked my ASS! I came home and worked very hard to get better, stronger and faster on hills.
I started out comfortable and spun up the first bunch of climbs before the big decent into Keene. Overall, the first loop was fairly uneventful. The crowds were great and it was awesome to see people out on their lawns cheering us on! I breifly saw Brad on the out and back in Haselton. I then saw Heidi and Craig and yelled some words of encouragement as we rode by eachother. I hit the turn around on the out and back and then saw Nate. I was anxious for the last 14 miles since this was a mental hurdle over Memorial weekend. I kept a steady pace and a positive attitude and before I knew it, I was climbing Little Cherry. Wow! The first loop was almost over! As I was climbing Papa Bear, the crowds were so freaking awesome! A guy was sitting in the road with a megaphone cheering people on as they climbed. I had a huge smile ear to ear because this hill killed me just two months earlier! I turned the corner and the crowds were still great! As a made the turn onto the road near the lake, I was anxious to see friends and family! I gave them two thumbs up as I rode on to my special needs bag. I grabbed a few things out and continued onto loop 2. I broke up the second loop into sections so the last 56 miles wouldn't seem so overwhelming. I had a few issues clipping in throughout the day, but it seemed to get better the second loop. By now, the sun was out and it was getting hotter. I hit the out and back and saw Craig again and then Nate after I did the turn around. I could feel myself slowing down on the last 14 miles. I finished the first loop with some time in the bank, but didn't want to just make the bike cutoff by seconds. Nate passed me around mile 100 and offered words of encouragement. It was so great to see a friendly face since the crowds had lessened by now. I saw Laura and Ron at around mile 107 and was so happy to see spectators I knew! They yelled and cheered as I pushed on for the last 5 climbs on Rt. 86. As I made the turn at the top of Papa Bear, I looked at my watch and knew I was going to make the bike cutoff. I held back the tears and pused on for the last few miles. I turned onto the road near the lake and couldn't wait to see my family and friends. They went wild as I rode by which was such a great feeling! I rounded behind the high school and gladly handed off my bike.
What would you do differently?:

Train earlier and harder on hills.
My goal the entire day was just to finish so overall, I am thrilled, but would have liked a stronger bike. Just something to work on. =)
Transition 2
  • 05m 26s

I ran down and was handed by T2 bag and then directed to the changing tent. It was less crowded and I had a volunteer help me. I dumped out my entire bag and sorted through all of the stuff I put in there. I changed into my tri shorts from my bike shorts, threw a fresh bag of meds into my back pocket along with some food and I was off....with my bike gloves still on. Damn it!
What would you do differently?:

Take off my effing bike gloves!
  • 6h 22m 47s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 37s  min/mile

I told myself (along with a few others) that as long as I made the bike cutoff, I was going to finish before midnight. The run was not a strength of mine and my longest run before IMLP was 14.5 miles. After realizing I left my bike gloves on, I took them off and stuffed them into the small of my back in my tri shorts. I saw my mom and sister as I cursed myself for leaving my gloves on. Right away, my stomach wasn't feeling great. I ran at a slow, but steady pace and tried to drink some flat coke to settle my stomach. Nate passed me at about mile 2 and he commented on my fast T2 time since he passed me on the bike. I knew I couldn't run his pace and I wished him luck as he kept going. I managed to continue running, not fast...but running. I ate a GU at around mile 4 and then saw Laura. She took my bike gloves (THANKS A MILLION, LAURA) and I asked where everyone was on the course. She walked/ran with me for a bit. I saw Craig and gave him a hug (yes, I know I owe you those 10 seconds). Laura dropped off at that point. Craig said Brad was coming up soon. I saw Brad who was on his 2nd loop. It was so awesome to see him. The look on his face when he realized I made the bike cutoff was priceless! We gave a quick hug and kiss and continued on. I did a walk and run combo for a lot of the first loop b/c of my stomach. I tried to eat a GU at mile 7 and had to spit it out or else it would have come back up anyway. I ate bananas, pretzels and chicken broth while continuing my ice water. After hitting the turn around on River Road, I saw Tim and Laura. I then saw Heidi who ended up catching me at her mile 21.
I made it to the 1/2 way point with my slow and steady run pace. Brad's mom ran with me for a minute or two and Brad's sister's boys ran along side me while blaring music, keeping that smile on my face. I started the second loop and had that mental hurdle to get over thinking I still had a half marathon in front of me. My stomach was doing OK so I continued with my half-assed nutrition plan. I saw Abbie and Dave in front of the Econolodge which was awesome! I ended up making friends during the first loop with a guy named Steve who kept me on a steady pace when I walked. We kept leap frogging each other during the second loop. I continued running the down hills and flats and walking the up hills. By the time I made the turn near the ski jumps for the long out and back, it was pretty dark. I new Craig and Nate were out here so I kept my mind off of pain by looking for them. I saw Craig on his way back in and yelled some encouragment. He said Nate was a few minutes in front of me. I finally caught up to Nate after the turn around. I wasn't sure it was him since he had on some random guy's jacket. We met up at mile 20 and continued together to the end. I could hear Mike Riley and the finish line this far away. It was so awesome!!! It was soon after I met up with Nate that it started raining...and then it started pouring! We passed the truck with the guy playing music. I saw my personalized message pop up on the screen from my family (pre race, family/friends could enter in a personalized message that would pop up onto the screen when the mat read your chip on the run). Nate and I said we'd start running once we got to the top of the hill near the ski jump. We then decided that wasn't happening. I continued walking at a brisk pace and Nate dropped back a bit. I kept yelling at him that we would finish this race together! I saw Abbie who walked with Nate for a bit. I then passed Nate's dad who ran about 20 miles earlier in the day. He and Nate ran up to meet me. Bill pursuaded Nate and I to run to the bottom of the big hill which we managed. I walked up the hill and the guy with the megaphone was still there (passed him on my first loop) and he was still yelling words of encouragement. I saw my mom and sister near the gas station before turning right to do the final out and back. I then passed my family in their tent and was so estatic! Laura walked with me for a bit while Nate caught up to me. He continued to make me laugh as we finished the short out and back. By this point, I was cold and hungry and in a decent amount of pain. We had enough time on our hands to figure out how we'd run down the chute and to make sure no one was near us. I started running down the hill and turned right at the gas station where I saw Brad's sister's husband and our friend Ron...I entered the speed skating circle where a guy directed me what way to go...I let him know I knew where to go. =) As I ran around the chute, all of the pain and aches went away. I heard my family cheering and crossed over the first mat. As I ran towards the finishing chute and the tape, the crowd was absolutely awesome! They were cheering so loudly and I ran across the finish line with a huge smile on my face. I hugged the volunteer who gave me my medal and was then greeted by Brad and Tim.
What would you do differently?:

More run training and more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

I was starving so I grabbed a piece of pizza and then headed to the massage tent. After a quick massage, I met up with my family and headed back to the house for a nice, warm bath.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More hill workouts and earlier in my training.
More longer runs.

Event comments:

This was my first Ironman and was absolutely amazing! I started this adventure many months ago with my husband and four close friends. I look back a few years and cannot believe I finished an Ironman! I wouldn't have ever guessed this! It made it even sweeter that I 1) finished before midnight and 2) finished with five of the most amazing people I know. I wouldn't have traded this experience for anything in the world! I just need to decide what to do about CdA '07!

Last updated: 2005-12-11 12:00 AM
01:10:46 | 3862 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 35/77
Overall: 862/2160
Performance: Good
Suit: Farmer John Ironman
Course: Two loop rectangular course
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Time: 11:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
08:38:06 | 112 miles | 12.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 76/77
Overall: 2098/2160
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Two loops with a 6-mile out and back. Some rollers with a few decent climbs.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Time: 05:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
06:22:47 | 26.2 miles | 14m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 70/77
Overall: 1927/2160
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loop course with a long out and back and then a short out and back. Two decent hills you do on each loop.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5