Tobacco Road Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cary, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
50F / 10C
Total Time = 4h 30m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30am, kicked it off with a cup of coffee and a toasted bagel w/ peanut butter (I can't get enough of this combo). Jumped in the bath for a quick shower to make sure I was awake awake. Waited a bit to see if I could take care of business before I left but nada. It didn't concern me as I was able to "go" right before bed the night before. Started my way to the race site. As I was getting closer to the baseball field (race site) the nerves started to kick in. That's when it really hit me, that I would be running for the first time more than 4 hours. At that very moment my stomach spoke up rumbling "its that time". That wasn't really the "time" I was trying to get mentally ready for but I thought better now than later. Parked the car and went straight to a long line at the porta potty's. Was able to take care of the biz with time to spare. Time I spent in the car cause it was COLD out!
Event warmup:

uuhhh not much, again it was cold.
  • 4h 30m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile

Full mary started at 7:30. I was pumped! I told myself to take it easy in the beginning, though that was difficult to do since I felt so energized. I still have lots to learn on keeping my pace. You can see from my garmin data above I was fluctuating for the first half. By the first mile I had caught up with the 4:00 pace group, feeling real good I decided to try to stick with them for as long as I could.

All was dandy, and I mean real dandy, until I hit mile 5. My buddy old pal, mr. stomach decided to speak up again. I told him to hush and settle down, initially thinking it was just some flatus but nooooo mr.stomach wasn't listening to me. The stomach pain started light, I would fight it, it would go away, but it would come back stronger the next time around. I was starting to worry but still not let it affect my stride. I knew mile 7.5 would most likely have a porta potty because it was a turnaround. As I approached the turnaround, the stomach was quiet, I look at the porta potty and next to it was a line of about 5/6 people. I said heck no, I'm not waiting and messing up my time. That was a mistake. The next few miles were scary. I didn't know when the next porta potty was going to show up and the stomach at this point was kicking and screaming. I kept looking deep into the woods to spot an area for u know what but I just couldn't go for it. I fought it and fought it. Now i'm at mile 10...probably about 20-25 yds behind the 4:00 pace group but slowly falling back. Oh, I was also taking in gu's, gels,water and gatorade this whole time. As I come to almost finishing mile 10, at last a porta potty up ahead. This time I really had no choice. I was in luck cause there was no line. My stomach was def not in good shape. Lost about 6 min doing the do. But wow thank goodness for that porta potty.

I was a bit disappointed with myself as I started back up but there was nothing I could do. I just kept at it. The next couple miles I was feeling good. That is until I hit 16ish. It wasn't the stomach this time, it was now my legs. At this point, I was at my highest mileage ever. During training, which was only about 12/13 weeks, I was only able to get to 15mi as my longest run. Traveling for work, the weather and a very long vacation in Colombia kept me from sticking to a solid training schedule. I kinda figured this would happen around this mileage. I knew I had it in me to finish but I could feel I would not be able to get my legs to push me back to the <10min pace. Mile 17,18,19,20,21 got slower and slower...with more walking. Stomach was luckily keeping quiet now. At 21 or so there was an aid station and I took/ate for the first time those chomps. Man, they hit the spot! Don't know if it was the chomps but shortly after I got a burst of energy, hoping it would last me till the end. It did not, lasted for about 2 miles, which I was still happy about. Legs at this point were in pain. The last 3 miles or so were on the road back to the finish line, and you bet I was cussing at those slight uphills till the end!!!!

Mile mark 25 and I gave it all I had left in me. Although my finish was not as badass and tough as Scottie's at his marathon (Shamrock), as soon I turned into the parking lot for the finish my legs had enough to sprint to the end. I was OUT! <--That and what my bud Scottie did at the end is what we call Finishing Strong!

What would you do differently?:

I loved the experience (minus the stomach problem) and I can't wait for the next marathon. Which will be, if not another mary, definitely at IMFL.

Ooohh what I would do differently... I wanted to kick myself with all the stomach issues. I know for a fact it was the Fritti Calamari I had at dinner the day before. WHAT A STUPID STUPID MOVE on my part. I really don't know why I did that. I went out to dinner with a friend and it was on the table and I couldn't help myself. LESSON LEARNED! oh and maybe not to mix gels with gu. Also, next time I think I'll start with my own gaterade fuel belt so I don't have to rely on the aid stations so much.

training wise: Dedicate more time to long runs and start more speed/interval training. Just keep at it. Also run with faster folks like Jen, Bill, Daryn, Louis, Scottie, may I join you's from time to time :)?
Post race
Warm down:

In lots of pain, shot straight to drink water and eat pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

damn stomach! and short training period with lots of interruptions

Event comments:

FS Series has always put on great events since my start in multisports. Thumbs up as always.

Last updated: 2011-03-22 12:00 AM
04:30:39 | 26.2 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Access to my garmin data:
Course: Starts on the road, majority on the ATT trail and finishes on the road. A little before the start of the half marathon they announced they were delaying the start of both races by 10 min due to some bus trouble with getting the people from NetApp to the race site. Back inside the car I went. Waited till the half mary kicked off and then went to line up. Stood in between the 4:15 and 4:30 pacers as I had a goal of a sub 4:30.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5