Ironman USA Lake Placid - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Placid, New York
United States
Ironman North America
75F / 24C
Total Time = 16h 02m 35s
Overall Rank = 2065/2345
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 98/111
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30, choked down half of a PB+J and half of a banana. Sipped some water and was very quiet and nervous. Got to transition around 4:30.
Event warmup:

None. Got body marked, checked on my transition bags, filled my water bottles, applied sunblock (little did I know), and "people watched". By 6:30 I already had my wetsuit on since it was getting chilly and the clouds were rolling in.
  • 1h 14m 50s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards

I was very happy with my swim. I felt the raindrops on my back but didn't let it bother me. I went slow and steady, kept my breathing in check, and was able to draft. I seeded myself about 5 rows back and close to the buoys. I knew it was dangerous, but I held my own and kept my spot over the cable line.
What would you do differently?:

Transition 1
  • 09m 49s

The stripper ripped my wetsuit off quickly. I adjusted my ankle strap to make sure it was secure (could you imagine???) and ran through the chute to T1. Got my bag and ran into the changing tent. Even though it was pouring, I took the time to strip down and get totally changed. The transition area was so muddy, running through in bike shoes was unpleasant.
What would you do differently?:

  • 7h 56m 48s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.09 mile/hr

I expected to finish in 8 hours (I was quicker by 4 minutes). I was afraid I pushed the first loop a bit too hard, I think I got caught up in the day... Although it was pouing and that was the one thing I dreaded the most, I was in a great mood. It was raining hard enough that the road sand never stuck to my bike and I figued this was better than getting overheated and sweaty. I took off my glasses and only put them on at the downhills. Speaking of downhills, the big descent into Keene- I rode my brakes a little but still maxed out at 40mph (on a clear day I did it at 49mph). On Hazleton's first loop I met Eric Sanborn (no relation) and chatted for a bit. Coming up Whiteface on Rte 86 was hard, but I kept telling myself "This is hard for everyone-no one is enjoying this part". Coming back to town and toward transition I heard it was 12:30ish, so I knew I was right on track. Mentally it was hard to turn right to start the second loop, but what could I do. It was still pouring rain and by the time I hit the big descent I was really cold. Fortunately, the upcoming hills warmed me up. Occasionally I would find someone close to my speed and I would talk for a little bit. By the time I was on Hazleton for the second time my legs still felt good. I was 90-some miles in and still had more in the tank! I started climbing up Rte 86 again and finally felt like this could be done. I actually thought I was going to be an Ironman! There were spectators at mama, baby, and papa bear, and they helped get me up the hills and into town. That was nice. Once in town I took my feet out of my shoes and coasted into transition. Did I mention it was still pouring rain?
What would you do differently?:

My nutrition plan went to hell. My bars got ruined in the rain and stuck to the tinfoil. I trashed them and used what was on the course when it was available. I ate banana halves and power bar halves. Drank Gatorade Endurance and had minimal water.... I just went "on the fly".
Transition 2
  • 06m 20s

At transition, the volunteers took my bike and directed me to my T2 bag. Again, the plan was to strip and change. I got off my bike and could barely walk- I was really scared. I could hardly shuffle to my bag. I got into the tent and sat down. I got changed and that 6 minutes made all the difference in the world. Once in dry clothes (for 10 seconds- it was still pouring) I headed out of the tent. Suddenly I was able to run! It's a good thing because there was a photographer right at the run start. I felt great and had a big smile on my face! But I'm getting ahead of myself...
What would you do differently?:

  • 6h 34m 49s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 04s  min/mile

I got off the bike right where I wanted to be- 4:30pm. I did some quick math and figured if I did 15 minute miles, I would come in right around 16 hours (11:00pm). Guess what- it worked. Each mile was marked and I kept track of my time. At most aid stations I took chicken broth and coke. That acted as my food and drink. Most people were wearing mylar space blankets and I saw a few people get picked up due to uncontrolable shivering. It was still raining and getting cold. I had a big problem with my hands swelling. I couldn't get my fingers together and the blisters on my feet were getting a little uncomfortable. I finished the first loop on time and AGAIN, it was mentally hard to make the turn for the second loop (It was right at the finish!) The second loop went just as planned. It briefly stopped raining, but started up again adding insult to injury. I was afraid I might finish the course dry ;). The great thing about the course was seeing everyone running the race. I saw Andy, Steve, Ed and Christine 2 or 3 times each! Andy was so proud of me since each time we passed I was smiling. Having a good attitude despite the conditions made the experience for me. A special moment on the run came when I saw Steve the first time. He looked surprised to see me then checked his watch. To me, it said, "wow, I can't believe you're here, now". I got hugs from everyone as we passed and was looking forward to the end of a long day. At mile 19ish, my good mood was fading a bit. I knew I could finish where I wanted, but I was wet, tired and was just given a glow necklace to wear for safety reasons. The road was pitch black and a little scary between rest stops and lights. I was convinced Freddy Kruger was going to jump out and "get me"! Coming up to the end I checked the clock and knew I COULD finish before 11:00pm, but made the decision that the extra few minutes didn't matter and that finishing before midnight was all that mattered. I came down the hill into the speed skating Olympic oval. I entered the chute and went under the first Ironman inflatable arch. What a feeling! I didn't cry, I was just in shock- I had done it. I rounded the oval and went under the second arch. I started cheering, giving high 5s to any hand sticking out and yelled in triumph. My voice was hoarse and I didn't even hear the announcement that I was an Ironman. As I crossed the finish line, Andy was there to give me my medal. He finished in 11:14 hrs, what a stud!!! If one thing kept me going all day I kept reminding myself about all the time I missed with my kids this year due to training. Come hell or high water, I was going to finish this race. Everyone has their own motivation- that was mine.
What would you do differently?:

Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line and was draped in a space blanket. I got my hat and finishers picture, and was immediately taken to the medical tent. I gained 1 pound and my hands were looking FAT! I was checked for hyponatremia (over hydration). Things seemed ok, so I went for my post-race massage (first one). I didn't want to eat, so we gathered our bags and headed to the condo. At some point, it stopped raining but got really cold. I was really sore but it was all worth it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being overweight.

Event comments:

The volunteers stayed out in the rain for 17 hours to help. What more can I say? Without them it would have been miserable. This race was first-class all the way. From the big screen closed captioning at the start, the helicopter flying overhead, music pumping at aid stations, even a "prayer station rest stop", the inspiration station..... it was awesome. I can't thank everyone eough!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-02-26 12:00 AM
01:14:50 | 4224 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 64/111
Overall: 1253/2345
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy sleeveless
Course: 2 counterclockwise rectangles. After the first you exited the water and got back in around a dock to start loop 2. There was a cable line about 15 feet under water to use instead of sighting IF you could get a spot.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Time: 09:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
07:56:48 | 112 miles | 14.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 95/111
Overall: 2089/2345
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2x56 mile loops with almost 8,000 feet of climbing.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Time: 06:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
06:34:49 | 26.2 miles | 15m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 96/111
Overall: 2123/2345
Performance: Average
Course: 2x13.1 "L" shaped out-and-backs. A few big hills by town mixed in with rollers for the rest of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5