Whiskey Row Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Prescott, Arizona
United States
70F / 21C
Total Time = 2h 39m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5:00 am. Took a shower and got ready. Breakfast included a bowl of oatmeal and a banana with a cup of coffee.

Left the hotel at about 6:15 with Shelley and Dawn for the 10 minute trip to the start.
Event warmup:

No warm up really. We walked around the courthouse and used the restroom prior to the race. Dropped off our dry clothes at the gear check in and headed to the start line on Whiskey Row. I looked through the crowd for Rachel (gymgirlx) and did not see her.
  • 2h 39m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile

This race was a low priority for me. It was my wife's birthday. The goal was to have fun with her and not get injured.

Normally, I drive the course to see the layout prior to the race. There was no time for this for this race. This turned out to be a good thing as I may have decided not to run.

The run was basically two races.

The first half- We were at the start and it was a bit chilly. Naturally, I overdressed. I was cold the night before and thought that I would be cold as the elevation changed. We started and everything was going well. We turned the corner and headed out of town. We ran right by "A sober way" which is a treatment center featured on Intervention. We started some hills and I quickly heated up. We stopped at an overlook for a picture and started to shed clothing. The hills were already starting to take a toll and we were only 3 miles in. We stopped at an aid station and hoped to leave out jackets and LS shirts there. We were told no and had to carry them to the next aid station. Doh! Right about this time, I remember telling someone next to me that this was the hardest 3.5 miles I have ever run. Little did I know that we had much more climbing to do. This area had some nice $$$$ custom homes. I would have never known they were there if not for the run. The course started to head into the forest. We went through a construction zone with some uneven pavement and then onto some dirt roads towards the turnaround. The combo of dirt, asthma, elevation and hills had me working hard. My motivation to climb the hills was low. I walked quite a bit of them as they were steep. I new the turnaround was near and kept looking at my Garmin for guidance. I heard some cheers and new it was near. Oh yeah, I saw Rachel on the run on her Wonder Woman outfit. She looked very strong at that point. She was on her way back and I still had about a mile to the turnaround.

Second Half- Those nasty long climbs on the way out were about to pay off with some serious downhills. It was a challenge to apply the brakes on the descent but it was fun. We motored down the hills and had a really good time. I stopped to use the porta pottie and ws quickly back in business. We passed several people coming down the hill and I heard a *thud* at about the 10 mile mark. Initially, I thought that Shelley had stepped on something. I turned around and she had fallen. There was a huge construction gap in the road from some construction. Anyway, she popped right up and was not hurt. Her cellphone took the brunt of the fall.

The last three miles, I was sooo ready to be done with this madness. I decided to start pushing it a bit. I was able to conserve some energy on the downhills and was ready to go. I dropped Shelley and Dawn but kept running. For the most part, I had Shelley in my sights when I turned around to see where they were at. Finally, the last turn was in sight. There was a small crowd cheering people on. Once I turned, the announcer said my name and I knew I was finished.

Emily and my in laws were at the finish. I gave Emmy a kiss and proceeded down the chute to get my medal and water.

Note: The out portion of the race was 1:30 and the back was 1:10.
What would you do differently?:

Try not to overdress. I carried my jacket for about 3 miles. Ugh!
Post race
Warm down:

I stayed at the finish line to waith for Shelley and dawn. They were a few minutes behind me. I then chatted with Rachel for a few minutes. I looked for another friend who did the 10k.

I got a stretch/massage which was really nice. The only exception is this. I mentioned that my neck and shoulders were tight. She massaged my neck without lotion which HURT big time. I have some chafing from my wetsuit from Thursday swim. Ouch!.

Got food and pictures and then left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, I'm old for one. I suppose running in hilly forrests would help. Our little hills at Saguaro have nothing on these hills.

This was not really a race for me. So it's all good

Event comments:

This was a tough but fun race overall. It is small town which is a nice change from the large city races. There was only 427 finishers. I was able to park across the street from the start and finish line.

The post race had pizza, salad, chips and salsa, muffins, fruit and water and gatorade.

The t-shirts are LS cotton with a very nice picture. The artist signed the shirts for free. The medals could use an upgrade.

Overall, not bad for a $50.00 race fee. If you asked me on Saturday, I would say that I would not race it again. If you asked today, I would say yes.

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
02:39:39 | 13.1 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: This course started in historic downtown Prescott and proceeded into the forest surrounding the area. The ascent was 1992 ft with a descent of 1998 ft. Basically, the first half was a climb and the second half was downhill. Out and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4