Ironman Florida - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Panama City Beach, Florida
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 15h 41m 9s
Overall Rank = 2210/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 95/
Pre-race routine:

I arrived in PCB on Wednesday. The majority of my friends and family were arriving on Friday, but my mom flew into Orlando on Monday and drove up with me. No line at registration at all and was checked in and through the expo in a few minutes. I didn't want to buy anything at the expo just "in case".
Got all checked in to the hotel, stayed at the Boardwalk condo...highly recommend it. Perfect location and easy access to everything.
On Thursday, my Mom and I went back to the expo so I could meet Rinny. So glad I went, she was awesome.
Event warmup:

Woke up at 4:45, had some cereal. I had to force down food, I'm not a huge eater first thing in the morning. I was supposed to meet my team at 5:30 at transition, but was a little anxious so I went down with my Dad at 5. Saw my friends Kristen and Jess who body marked me. Got all of my nutrition on the bike, tires pumped (I rented Zipp 808's and was terrified I was going to screw something up when pumping) and was on my way. Went back to the condo to eat more and get my wetsuit. Was able to force down a yogurt and banana, but was still worried I hadn't taken in enough calories.

Went do to meet the rest of my team at 6:30. My team is the most amazing group of people. My coach had 6 athletes racing and around 20 people volunteered. It was so great to have all of them there. Snapped a few photos and suited up. I got teary eyed when I saw my coach. Big hugs and off to the swim start.
  • 1h 35m 38s
  • 4156 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards

National Anthem played and moved down to the water. I was with two teammates who wanted to stay further back so I moved up a little. For some reason, I was really calm. I'm not a strong swimmer (at ALL) and have been really nervous before the start of just about every other race I've every done. I was eerily calm.
Gun went off and in the water we went. It took a second to get over the breakers and when we did the water had huge swells. It was strange, you couldn't see them from the beach, but they were there, so much so that people were throwing up in the water. Such a lovely sound...
I didn't actually "swim" until the second turn buoy, as I was making my way back to the beach. You always hear horror stories about mass swim starts, people getting kicked, smacked, etc. Yes, this happened, but I really didn't think it was that bad. Got passed by the pros on my first lap.
First lap done and was ready to do it all over again. Was able to swim a lot more of the second lap. As I made the second turn buoy, I was thinking I can't believe my IM swim is almost over! I've been training for this race since January and was surprised that I didn't want it to end...I hate to swim. Just shows want an IM can do I guess. I kept hearing the water was great and that it was really pretty. Not the case, I didn't see the bottom or any fish at all. Probably better, as I heard there were tons of jelly fish. Out of the water and up to the strippers. They were AMAZING. By the time I got there sand was all over the place. I told them I didn't want to get sandy, they said "no problem" and two volunteers literally lifted me up while a third one stripped of my wetsuit.

What would you do differently?:

Train more in the water so I get faster. I would love to have a sub 1:30 swim.
Transition 1
  • 11m 44s

After my suit was off I began the run through the building. A little bit of bottlenecking, but not too bad. Was looking for my family and friends. Couldn't find them. It turns out they were still in the condo. I told them I'd be out of the water in two hours and they missed me! Being faster is an okay reason to miss me in my book! Saw a teammates hubby first, then my coach. Gave her a hug and told her to tell my family I was okay. The volunteers had my bag ready and I ran into the change tent. I had the most amazing lady in the change tent! Her name was Linda and she was from my home town..."it's a world of laughter, a world of tears..."
Read the card from a friend and got dressed and was off. I was so excited that a friend from my tri team was the volunteer giving me my bike! Just an awesome feeling to have friends there for you!
What would you do differently?:

  • 7h 14m 49s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.45 mile/hr

As I mounted my bike, I just kept thinking "this is going to be a long day". I was hoping to have a less then 7 hour bike. I had heard the course was flat and fast so I was excited. When I first got on the bike I was worried I was going to get in trouble for drafting. It was hard to pass people since the road wasn't closed, so I would just pass one person at a time and try and keep my distance until I could make a move when I needed to. I knew the bridge was coming up fairly early in the race and I was looking forward to it, as I knew it would be one of few times I would be up and out of my saddle. The guys in the underwear on the bridge were hilarious. Loved them! The packs cleared out pretty much for the rest of the race, I think I'm too slow to have really seen it. Got to special needs after riding on that crazy bumpy road. Ridiculous....people were launching bottles and losing tubes and CO2 all over the place. When I got there the volunteers were laughing at me because my SN bag was so big. I put a cooler in it for my bottles. Best decision ever! My bottles were perfect. It was so refreshing to drink cold eLoad instead of hot. Didn't want the small snickers I put in there, but gave it to another athlete.
I feel like I wasn't the same after stopping. I'm not sure why, maybe it got windier but my speed dropped after SN. It was hot and windy so I was dumping water over my head (which I normally don't do). I stopped at 80, 90 and 100 just to sort of regroup. Took in a TON of salt tabs, as I have had a bad experience with not taking in enough. Got to the bridge and motored up, almost took a wrong turn through a stop light and finally made it back to the road along the water. At this point I started to get emotional. The only thing that was bothering me was the balls of my feet were really hot. I thought it was just from riding 112 miles. I have now figured out that it was the start of some major blisters on the balls of my feet. The only thing I can attribute it to is the water I was dumping over my head. The last IM race I did (IMAZ 2008) i DNF'ed right off the bike and was transported to the hospital. I knew at this point the only place I was headed was the finish line. Turning on to Thomas Dr was great, there were people everywhere yelling and screaming. I was smiling and crying as I came into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Ride in more windy conditions...a lot!
Transition 2
  • 08m 7s

Gave my bike to a volunteer and headed into the change tent. Dumped my bag and read a card from a friend. Started to get emotional again and was telling the volunteer helping me that the last time I was in this position they wouldn't give me my shoes because I was so sick. She laughed and said she would happily give me my shoes and I looked great.
  • 6h 25m 51s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 44s  min/mile

Ran to the bathroom in transition and was on Thomas Drive in no time. I knew my family and friends had set up a tent on the corner in front of the Boardwalk so I was focusing on finding them. I finally saw my best friend, Kristin, some other friends that came down and my Dad. My Mom was on the other side of the street with the camera. She got a really good shot of me giving my Dad a hug. Told them I felt Dad told me to slow down and pace myself. Ha! Guess he didn't remember how slow I am. I have since been told after they saw me on the run and knew I wasn't going to end up in the ER they went up to the room and started drinking. Love it! I saw my tri team on mile 1 of the run on Surf Dr. They were awesome and so motivating.
The run course was great right up until the park. That damn park was almost the death of me. I don't know why, but I hated it. I just kept thinking that I have to go back there a second time so get over it. I think it was that I knew the second time around it was going to be pitch black. I had a small light on my hat, but it didn't really make much of a difference. Saw my team again on the way back and also found my friend Randy. At this point I started to get worried about time. Everyone kept telling me I was fine, but I was still worried about it. I also was getting concerned because I didn't want to eat anything, but obviously needed to take in calories. Made it to the turn around and SN. Found a "drawing" my 3 and 2 year old nephews made. Took the Gu with me, but knew I wouldn't use it. When I saw my family just after SN my mom got so excited she started to run with flip flops! I told her I didn't know what I wanted but that I couldn't take in anything else. She told me just to go with it and I'd be fine. Saw my tri team and coach shortly after. From that point on, I walked. The. Entire. Way. Until mile 25. Met a guy from Texas named Gary and a lady from PCB named Kathy. We were walking 15 to 16 minute miles. Got to that damn park and new I was pretty much home free. Got to 25 saw my coach and started to cry. Thanked her like crazy for getting me here. Made the turn onto Thomas Dr and Kristin was there waiting for me. She ran with me until the turn near Alvin's Island where there was a volunteer who told her to stay on the other side of the barricade. Saw my mom, Randy, Pat, Noelle, Makenna and my Dad as i was running down the chute. High fived everyone with a huge smile on my face. Just an amazing experience. Crossed to line to here my name, but no "you are an Ironman". Guess that just means I have to come back next year. :)
What would you do differently?:

Run more! I've been battling shin splints so I haven't been running a ton.
Post race
Warm down:

My "catcher" was a great guy. Not sure of his name, all I knew what that he said he wouldn't let go of me. Someone took my chip off and put a medal around my neck. Got a bottle of water and turned around to see my Dad. I told him I'm come to them. Had my picture take (which didn't turn out-I'm not looking at the camera) and made my way around to my family. Hugs all around. My Mom took my shoes and socks off to reveal four huge blisters on the balls of my feet. No wonder I walked the last half of the marathon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Living and working on a cruise ship for two weeks out of every month really inhibited my training. I'm happy with the time as I just wanted to crosse the line standing and with a smile on my face. Mission accomplished!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-10-23 12:00 AM
01:35:38 | 4156 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot sleeveless
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Time: 11:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
07:14:49 | 112 miles | 15.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Time: 08:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
06:25:51 | 26.2 miles | 14m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5