Ironman Coeur d'Alene - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
United States
Ironman North America
55F / 13C
Total Time = 14h 36m
Overall Rank = 1641/2200
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 41/70
Pre-race routine:

Set alarm for 3, got up 3:30am, walked the doggies and made Heather a cup of coffee. For me, Latte Perpetuem, yum! Waited for C-cic sister to show up and off we went. Halfway there, realized I'd forgotten my bike computer, oh well, what the heck, Im not a slave to my HRM am I? YES I AM!!! I've trained with it all year and now have forgotten it!! But wait, I have one on my wrist too so all is ok. I'd looked at the weather the night before and it said 7am wind=5mph, 8am wind=6mph, 9am wind=7mph. No Problem. When we arrived in C'da the flags were standing straight out, hmmm, this doesn't look good. When we saw the lake with lots of whitecaps, hmm, things are looking worse. We got a great parking spot and walked right by special needs dropoff on the way to the bikes. Dropped S/N bags and got the bikes packed up then sat down to soak up the atmosphere. Heard the pros go off and got the wetsuit on and joined the rubber parade to the timing mat to the beach. Lined up way right and stood around being cold.
  • 1h 54m 22s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards

I had my warm neoprene hat on under my official swim cap so couldn't hear very well, thought I heard the national anthem and then a little pop that was the cannon. Huh, here we go! I had planned to wait about a minute to let the traffic kind of clear out, gave Colleen a good swim hug and a team mate a pat on the back and waded in. Waves were straight on to us so it was a lot of up and down. 200 yds in, got kicked in the face and knocked my goggles loose so had to stop and fix that, it was fun going out through the waves, sometimes I could launch off the topo of one and get buried by the next one. Choked and gagged on a couple that broke over me early but overall the outbound leg went pretty good. I got disoriented on the 1st turn and was headed south when I should have been headed Eest. A nice volunteer in a blue kayak got me sorted out and I made the next turn without trouble. I had clear water most of the way since I'm pretty slow and had started back. Coming in was fun and peaceful, surfing on the waves when I could. 1st lap about 54 mins. I had put a gel in my sleeve but forgot about it, just jogged over the timing mat and back in the water. 2nd lap, waves a LOT bigger but no problems. It went slower, I was really babying my shoulders and they were cooperating by not hurting me too badly. 2nd lap about 1:04. I was really cold the last 30 mins so was happy to get out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, work a bit more on navigation and maybe start a bit earlier, I had virtually no traffic to contend with.
Transition 1
  • 11m 34s

Ya gotta love the wetsuit strippers! I asked them to be really careful with me and they were really gentle but got me out of the suit in record time. Jogged over and picked up T1 bag and into the tent. I changed everything for the ride, it was cold out and I didn't want to start out wet. Suit off, dry off, shorts on, tri top on, homemade arm warmers on, chamois cream ahhhh....., helmet and sunglasses and off I went.
What would you do differently?:

If the weather was warmer, mabye swim in tri shorts but otherwise not much.
  • 6h 56m 33s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.13 mile/hr

Jogged out and found my bike without problem. Grabbed it and walked the long walk to the mount line. Off we go for a nice ride!

I'd forgotten my bike computer so could look at my wrist for HR info but it was a pain and since I trained with HR, it was more of a pain. But, we adapt. Went out too hard on the bike and my back got sore after about 20 miles so spent a lot more time standing up and stretching it out than normal. Every time I looked at my HRM, it was really high so I'd back off (I thought) and look later and still too high. I'll have to make a note for next time to remember the computer.
It was pretty windy and my bike just didn't feel "right" to me for a while but it was more me and less bike. Settled in and before I knew it, was on English Point hill, we called it Gary hill in training, there is a great realty sign there and the realtor has a great smile to get us up the hill. Amazing what is important.....
Stopped once at the PP for a little break and then back to town, saw Colleen(c-cic) on my way to Ohio Match Rd and she was smiling and looking strong, we rang our bike bells, some people don't get it but I like my bell, makes people laugh and smile.
Coming back to town was a good headwind and there is a no passing zone for a little ways where the coures is narrow. Here was my only regretable experience. I'd entered the no pass zone going for me, pretty fast but one of the unfortunate pro men got stuck behind me and I could hear him "Oh please go, please go" and I was going as fast as I could. Dang, but luckily the zone didn't last long and he zoomed by no problem right away, I hope I didn't cost him a postion.
Through town to see the club and Heather cheering really buoyed me up then out on 2nd loop. Felt more settled on the 2nd loop and it was kind of funny, I wasn't really excited at all. Just another long day on the bike, I tried to psych up "Holy crap, you're doin an Ironman!" but it didn't really work so I stayed calm, better for me anyway but a funny feeling.
Back to town and this time the finishing lane was really welcome. I'd forgotten my extra chamois butter and when stopped at 60 miles to apply, a nice volunteer held my bike for me while I dug through my Bento box, hmm, no butter. So, we adapt....
What would you do differently?:

Remember the HRM!! Start easier and forego the back pain. Other than that, this was a good ride for me.
Transition 2
  • 04m 23s

Another nice volunteer took my bike from me. I've always liked the story about "Sir, you can HAVE my bike!!" but I still liked mine though the saddle was shrinking some I'm sure.
Changed shorts again, new socks, shoes, hat and out the door. This was quick for me.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, this was fast for me.
  • 5h 29m 14s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 34s  min/mile

This year, I've trained a LOT running off the bike. At the time, in the middle of winter, after a long trainer ride, the last thing I wanted to do was go for a run but did go anyway, thinking "I'll be happy I did this on race day" and I really was!
Settled right into my pace with no issues. I'd planned to walk all of the aid stations and run as much as I could in between and it worked really well for about 15 miles.
Took a gel and Gatorade at each of the 1st couple stations, saw Heather right after the start and she said "You're catching Colleen!" Then saw Colleen on the dike road, I'd made up some time but she was looking strong and still smiling. It started raining right after I left T2 and I was kind of worried about getting cold, I do that.
Going out along the lake in the wind and rain, I was still having fun, staying on plan but getting colder. Saw Colleen and a few other team members and all looked good. When I got back to town and started on the 2nd loop, my hands were numb and swollen, saw Heather in the City park and she asked "How's the hypothermia?" I said it was kicking in and that I'd get a mylar sheet as soon as I could. At the next aid station, some very VERY nice volunteers motioned me over, I said my hands don't work so they had me stand there while they: took my hat and race belt off, slipped the mylar sheet over my head, belted it down, put my hat on me, patted me on the back and said "you're good to go!" THANK YOU!!! I wasn't too warm after that but it was a lot more bearable.
Gels weren't really doing it for me and I was tired of Gatorade so tried Coke, a big mistake and my stomach cramped up right away, had to walk that off but then discovered the joys of warm chicken broth and pretzels. The broth gave me some salt and warmed me too. My hands weren't working too well to I'd plop my hand in the pretzels and stir around trying to get a few. This worked great for the rest of the night so I stuck with it. More rain and cold and my run times were getting shorter and walks getting longer. I walked with a purpose though, no strolling along for me. Picked up some beads at the hippie aid station and a glow stick on the way into town. What color? Pink! I'm secure....
Back into town and the last couple of miles were pretty much a walkfest, I still tried to run as much as I could but it wasn't very much at this point. But now I could hear the announcer yelling and that really helped to get me going. Took my mylar off for the camera (I'm vain....) and started running right before the last corner. Wow! What a couple of blocks! I felt like a Rockstar, the street was jammed and everyone cheering like crazy, I slapped hands all the way down the street and across the finish, what a day! This last several blocks was everything I'd hoped it wouuld be! My catcher held me up and helped me to get my hat, medal and shirt and picture. Colleen was right there with a big hug and then Heather was too, another hug and then off to pizza! I'd worried that it might not sit well but it tasted great and felt fine.
What would you do differently?:

More intervals in training, I'd like to be able to run farther next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some pizza, talked with club members a bit and headed for the car. Put on mylar again, and tried to stay warm while we found the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just training I guess, I finished an hour ahead of where I expected so was pretty happy with that.

Event comments:

I had a blast all day! Thought maybe the lack of computer or butter or maybe the sore back or all the walking might get me down but I stayed positive and happy the whole way. I expected to be down some especially during the run but it just never happened. I have to say I would have had a really hard time if it hadn't been for my little sister, best friend and training partner Colleen (c-cic), we got each other out the door each hard training day and it was fun to see her out there smiling, ahead of me.
It was a great day, I'm not going to enter next year, will volunteer again but plan to try it again in 2011.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-08-25 12:00 AM
01:54:22 | 4224 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 64/70
Overall: 20056/2200
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Stealth Full
Course: 2 laps rectangular counter clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
Time: 11:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
06:56:33 | 112 miles | 16.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/70
Overall: 1559/2200
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: 2 laps with out and backs
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Time: 04:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
05:29:14 | 26.2 miles | 12m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/70
Overall: 1536/2200
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops, out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5