Cardinal Harbour Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Louisville, Kentucky
United States
Head First Performance
95F / 35C
Total Time = 5h 27m 28s
Overall Rank = 24/300
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Drove 9 hrs with Chuck, Jon, and Jason. Checked in and ate Olive Garden the night before. Got in bed early since we had already lost an hour changing time zones. Woke up 5 am for 8 am start ate a cliff bar and drank power bar preform.
Event warmup:

Not much. Figure I was taking it easy so i would just use the swim as my warm up.
  • 45m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards

Here's the thing. I thought this was a great swim, until I looked at my watch. Honestly I was taking it at Ironman pace to practice and see how I would feel...well I didn't think I took it that freakin slow, 45 min!!!! are you kidding me! Then I saw that everyone elses was really slow too. Oh the current...yeah it got me. Oh and the fact that it was 1.6 miles not 1.2 miles. Oh well just some time to make up and I'm glad for the Ironman the current is with us not against us.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s

okay no big deal. I put on a long sleeve form fitting shirt while wet...i'd say this was pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Not much still just a training day.
  • 2h 48m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr

I wanted to take this at my ironman pace. This race was about preparing for Ironman and I did that well. I figure I will go around this pace maybe a bit slower but felt comfortable the whole time and really enjoyed the scenery. Except I was in Louisville and saw a ton of horse pastures but not one horse.
What would you do differently?:

If I were to be really racing and not just training I'd hammer this bike course...I enjoy the climbing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 56s

When I first saw this I thought wow that slow? But then I remembered I had to run with my bike bare foot for over 150 yards to get to my rack. So not that bad.
  • 1h 48m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile

Loved the 3 loops. Hated the hills and the heat! On the first loop I caught jason who had put atleast 4min on me in the swim (good job jason) and ran with him for the next 4-5 miles. He could tell I felt great so encouraged me to leave him and I did to make sure I broke 5:30 on the race. I ran the 2nd and 3rd loops at around a 7:30ish pace and passed a ton of people. When I got back the transistion area I thought I'm done but this seemed short and fast then they tell me I have on out and back before the finish that is flat but open to everything and no aid station. SUCK! it was really hot, I mean deadly hot and I was pissed to have to do a out and back but oh well. Still pretty happy with my run.
Post race
Event comments:

Honestly if your doing this race it should only be to prepare for Ironman Louisville. Otherwise it is a waste of money. There is a severe lack of aid stations, transistion wasn't even mowed, race started late, lots of confusion, and they ran out of water at some aid stations on the run. That makes me feel for the the slower people because I was top 25% and didn't get some water, what about the other 75%? Only do this if your doing the Ironman in Louisiville and are using it as training. DO NOT MAKE THIS YOUR FIRST HALF IRON!!!!

Last updated: 2010-06-29 12:00 AM
00:45:46 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loops up and back down river.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Time: 02:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
02:48:01 | 56 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Hot, Hilly and gorgeous! Really smooth roads, but challenging.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Time: 02:56
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
01:48:27 | 13.1 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Good
Course: HILLY! 3 loops in mostly residential neighborhood.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2