Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
54F / 12C
Total Time = 12h 36m 25s
Overall Rank = 203/414
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 23/56
Pre-race routine:

Arrived on Friday around 10AM. We went to packet pickup and bought some things from the expo. At 12 noon we attended the athlete briefing which was also at the convention center. After that we walked over to the Brewery for lunch. We both had the salmon.

As soon as we finished eating we checked into the Hilton. All of my things had been presorted so that I would just have to put them in their proper bags and drop them off. We had to have the bikes in transition by 7PM. We also had to have the bike to run bag placed on its proper peg in the convention center (t2).

The drive to T1 was bumper to bumper because one lane of the highway was closed off. It took over an hour to drive the 8 miles from the hotel to T1. I racked my bike and decided to leave the shoes and helmet in my bag. I decided I would just grab my bag in the changing tent and run it to my bike. It was getting to be around 6pm so we shot over to the convention center and dropped off our bike to run bag.

We were finally done, but still needed to eat. Luckily there was a subway a block from the hotel so we got a sub to go and went back to the hotel. What an exhausting day it was. Mental note, go on Thursday next time instead of Friday.
Event warmup:

We woke up at 4 and had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I drand an Organic drink similar to an ensure and took my sports legs. We did not have a post race bag and everything we wore and left on the beach was to be given to charity. So long old sweatshirt and Reef flip flops.

There was a shuttle service from the hotel to T1 that we paid $5 for. The shuttle was like a trolley and had no windows. 54 degrees is cold but when you are going 50 miles an hour down the highway that wind is freezing. There was one guy who was on the floor of the trolley in the fetal position. That's cold.

We got to t1 and turned in our run and bike special needs bags to the volunteers and rechecked our bike tire pressure. Finally it was time to get on another bus and get carted to the swim start. We got to get in the water and warm up. The water temp was about 72 but seemed warmer since it was still in the 50's outside. At 7:20 they played the national anthem and we saluted the flags or the red and blue remote flying plane that hovered above us. &:30 the horn blew and the race started.
  • 59m 59s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards

The swim was like a dream. The tide was coming in and whooshed us down the channel. They said that a bag of doritos in the channel could beat the 2:20 cut off time and I believe it. Foggle is a great product and my goggles didn't fog up at all. I did make the mistake of sighting off a water tower. As I got closer I realized the water tower was on the right side of the channel. I was supposed to be making a left so I must have went out of my way at least a little. Next thing we knew there was the turn point. I turned at the red buoy and headed for the marina. The tide is stronger in the deeper water so I stayed away from the red hazard signs and swam in deeper water. Once I reached the marina someone helped pull me up and the swim was history.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could do better except the part about sighting off the wrong side of the channel.
Transition 1
  • 07m 11s

Once I got out of the water I hit the mat and T1 time started. I used a wetsuit stripper to help get that off and then stopped in the outdoor shower to get the salt water off me. There was a long run across the street and down a ways before I could enter t1. I went to the changing room and grabbed my bag. Since I was not going to change pants I ran out to the bike and put on the helmet, glasses, socks, shoes, shirt, and garmin. Then I had to throw all my swim stuff and bike pump back in the bag before I ran out of T1. It was still a pretty good time.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could do better.
  • 6h 08m 13s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr

the bike started with a series of turns as we left the marina. There was a series of speed bumps that you had to slow down for. Right away there were water bottles flying off bikes. You would think folks would learn about that. There was also an old rusty grate bridge that had some of the grates broken. That had me worried. I thought they were going to cover that with a mat. I didn't flat thank goodness and headed out toward Eastwood drive.

Police had the intersections under control as we headed out towards the highway. With one lane closed it was pretty safe, however we did have to cross from one lane to the other, so that was dangerous. The police did a good job keeping us from getting crushed by cars.140 took us to 421 which went north west. This was a 4 lane road so we had the right lane to ourselves.

At mile 21 we had our first bike aid station. I was doing pretty good so I just grabbed a water and refilled my aero bottle. I always try to toss the empty bottle before I get too far down the road. I was around 19.3mph here, and the wind was there but not really bothersome. It must have been a crosswind. I cant say anything stuck out here except that everyone was spread out and there was little or no drafting.

There was another aid station at mile 35 and I planned on stopping there. Those first 35 miles flew by. As I got off my bike I welcomed the volunteer who yelled out that she would hold my bike for me, I also welcomed the ground under my feet. I remembered Florida and all the time I wasted on stops, so this time there would be 3 stops and none would be more than 4 minutes.

After the port a stop I took off again. People were passing only to slow and snack on nutrition. That urks me, why pass only to slow down? We made a left on Wildcat road. The wind was in our faces and brutal. Yep, it was brutal, with a couple of gusts that almost took old Blaze out from under me. The bu bumps rattled more bottles lose and I heard there was at least one bad crash from running over one. Special needs and the half way point came. They had racks, unlike Florida, so I racked Blaze and ran for my bag. I had a bottle of (2.5 servings) infinit on my bottom tube which I drank during the first 56 miles. I grabbed the second bottle from my bag along with a peanut butter chocolate chip lora bar and took off again.

I ate the lora bar as the wind was blowing. We made a series of left turns. There was an oil spill the previous day and there was supposed to be some sand spread on it, Danger area. That was right before Enis Bridge road, and was actually just a dark 2' wide streak for 500 yards or so. They must have cleaned it pretty good. We turned right on 210 which is the back side of the white lake half route. That meant more bu bump, more water bottles, tubes, co2 cartridges on the road. people were now drafting. They were also passing then coasting as they stretched. Why pass someone just to slow down.

At mile 70 I grabbed a water and put it in my jersey. That reminded me that I needed to drink more. I ate a waffle and started on my secret treat, Jelly Belly gummy fish! The USAT judge passed me several times and I saw him pace many drafters. It pays to go by the rules, just look at the long list of penalties given out. Mile 87 I stopped again for the porta visit. I should have used more butter because part of me was rubbed raw, ouch. Back on the bike I noticed I was still averaging over 18mph, which was my goal.

I didnt stop again. The motor traffic was backed up everywhere as we went along our merry way. Every 5 miles there was a sign on the side of the road that said what mile we were on. Mile 85, 90, 95, 100, 105 passed. People were cheering us on from their vehicles. During this ride there were not many spectators out past the city. There were a few country folk that went out to their mailbox and cheered, or stared in amazement. Once we turned right on 421 and started into the city I knew this was about over. I was so ready to get off my bike. As we crossed a bridge I noticed that they put rubber mats over the grates. That was good, but my bike was very unstable on it and I almost wiped out. I wonder how many did. We made a right to water street and to the convention center where I dismounted. I did drink all of my infinit so I knew I took in 5 x 250 calories, plus a waffle and lora bar.
What would you do differently?:

I had a good bike. The only thing was my nutrition plan went out the window.
Transition 2
  • 03m 51s

HAd a good T2. I left shoes on bike and dismounted on the move. I handed my bike to a volunteer and ran to my run bag. Once I had it I ran to the changing room and put on my run shoes and tri shirt and visor, I had a fuel belt with 2 bottles which combined for a single serving of infinit.This time I remembered to take off my bike gloves, but only because someone mentioned it first. I handed my bag off to a volunteer and ran out the door.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing it was a good t2. was 42 out of the 414 men and 4th of 56 in ag.
  • 5h 17m 12s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 07s  min/mile

I saw all our tri warrior friends as I took off. Some already finished their half, and others soon passed me going to the finish line. I still had 22 miles to go :(. My nutrition plan went out the window. I barely drank any infinit. I did take water at all the stops though. I walked up the steep hill, which was a trick I learned from trail runners. I did ok for 10k or so.

After my first triangle run I headed to the first turn around. I kept expecting to see it at 6.5 miles but it was actually 8 miles because of that silly out and back. Coming back I hit the triangle again and headed back to the start. I was already feeling bad. I think I went to hard on the bike and was about to bonk. I didnt drink my infinit, I didnt want anything. I decided to at least run to my special needs bag before I started to walk.

The special needs bags were within eyesight of the finish line. As I turned right for the bag I heard the announcer yelling out finishers names. I changed into a long sleeve shirt because it was going to be dark and cold. I had a mental breakdown as I tried to down a fig newton but it wouldnt let me swallow it. I just didnt want anything. Finally I got some coke in me. IT worked, the feeling was going away and my stomach settled down. I decided to run walk the rest of the way.

As it got dark I remembered that there were parts of the run path with roots breaking the surface. This run could be dangerous but they did have spot lights everywhere. At the turn around point I had 6 miles to go. I grabbed one of those chem light things and put it around my neck. Coming back I started to walk again. OF COURSE thats when I saw Maria heading in the opposite direction. I hate it when I get caught walking. I knew I better start running. She was, and I knew what would happen if she passed me. BAM in the back of the head.

Coming back was a run and walk combo. I saw a girl walking with her arm in a sling and road rash all over her shoulder (must have been a bad bike accident). I also saw a guy running, he had no arms, so I had no reason to whine!!! I met up with an elderly guy and we both ran two cone lengths then walked one. We did that for a while before he left me in the dust. I didnt want to be out there any more but knew running was the quickest way back. Then I would walk again. Every time I passed people they cheered, and there were lots of people on the course. So I would run again. There was a park we ran through with wooden bridges, the run was quite nice. All except for that triangle thing you had to run through.The last time I went down those 3 streets I smiled. I would never have to see them again.

By the way, there is nothing like chicken broth on miles 22-25 of the ironman marathon. I drank that up and more cola. Eventually I was heading in. I walked the last aid station, and asked where the finishers chute was. I wanted to be sure to run in, never walk the finish of an ironman. I did start running and crossed the finish line. I saw Steve and Rich and suddenly felt great again. I beat my goal with a 12:36:25. I waited for Maria and when she finished (beating her Florida time too) we got pizza and beer.
What would you do differently?:

Remember that all the pain is real but its just pain. It is not an injury, so do not stop runing. I saw a guy with no arms and he was running. I need to get mentally tougher on these runs!
Post race
Warm down:

had beer and pizza. We then went up to our hotel and showered before going to pick up our bikes and all our bags. The swim to bike and bike to run bag was by the bikes. The bike special needs bag was in a big pile by a u-haul outside. We were able to find our bags. Then we had to walk back to the run special needs bags which were where we left them during the race. We got those and watched several people come in to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only the run had issues and it revolved around lack of sticking with my nutrition plan and being a mental winp.

Event comments:

The race went flawless with little stress on our parts. Transportation was great. Staying at the Hilton was a good choice because it was a block from the finish line. Post event activities were nice. There was a live band, medical tent, warming tent, food, people hanging around, it was very nice. Sunday we went to the post race awards banquet and ate a huge meal. This was by the battleship. A great race, Setup events did awesome, and the Wilmington Family YMCA and PPD were awesome sponsors.

Last updated: 2011-12-01 12:00 AM
00:59:59 | 4224 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/56
Overall: 261/414
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: down the channel and left turn to the marina.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Time: 07:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
06:08:13 | 112 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/56
Overall: 209/414
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: From the Marina, over speed bumps, over a rusty grated bridge, up 140 to 141. Took 421 up to the white lake area and made a coupe lefts before making a left on 210 and taking it back to 141 and back to the convention center.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Time: 03:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
05:17:12 | 26.2 miles | 12m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/56
Overall: 245/414
Performance: Below average
Course: very confusing. There was an out and back to the left of the convention center. It must have been a mile out and a mile back. Then we started the 2 loop run.. There was this deviation we had to take 4 times during the run. it was a triangle run route that you had to take every time you got to it. Many people got confused. 6 miles out was a turn around and split map.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4