ING New York City Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New York City, New York
United States
New York Road Runners
44F / 7C
Total Time = 3h 39m 13s
Overall Rank = 6557/50511
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 1178/5881
Pre-race routine:

Drove with the family from Dublin, OH to New York on Friday. We spent Friday night in Newark since we were getting in late and trying to save a little $. So we spent the evening in the Hampton Inn in Newark. I got up on Saturday and wanted to get to the expo early so we could spend some time in Manhattan and we had matinee theater tickets. I got a 3 mile treadmill run in before breakfast, then we ate and drove into the city. We got in right around noon and drove over to the Javits Center. I knew there wasn’t any affordable parking and we were running a bit late that day, so I found a place to park the car on the side of the convention center and had my wife sit in the drivers seat to drive around the block if someone told her to move. I went in, got my packet, and got back out in 20 minutes, I would have liked to walk around the expo, but we had to grab lunch and head to a show.

After, we checked into the Hilton Midtown, grabbed lunch, went to a show. Relaxed before dinner and then had dinner. It was really wet and rainy all day. A very miserable day in Manhattan, so I was glad all we were going to get on Sunday was wind and cold.

Event warmup:

I got up at 5:30 so I could get dressed, grab some coffee, and take the train to catch the 6:30 ferry. Saw a few other runners on the train and started to get excited. Got to the ferry terminal and was waiting in line to get coffee when I saw the ferry arrive, so I bailed on the coffee at the ferry station. Once on the ferry, I sat outside to acclimate. I was wearing throwaway sweat pants, throwaway long sleeved T-shirt, covered by a throwaway sweatshirt and was pretty comfortable. The ferry ride was a great way to get excited for the race. It was filled with other runners and it was neat to see the bridge ahead and pass the Statue of Liberty. We got to Staten Island just before 7:00 and had plenty of time to catch the buses to buses to the start so I finally got my coffee and a bagel. Once on the bus, I slapped some Peanut butter on my bagel and had some water on the 20 minute bus ride over to the fort.

I was in the 1st wave Orange Corral so we would start at 9:40, so I had 2 hours to kill in the start village. It was a surreal experience. It was cold and windy, so I kind of hunkered down and sat on a trash bag while I drank some water. It felt like a prisoner camp as you would hear announcements in al sorts of languages, lots of security on rooftops, and an occasional helicopter. Around 9:00 or so, I headed over to the start corral and sat there until go time.

Once the corrals broke and they move you to the start, things move fast. I barely had enough time. I took my sweat pants off before I got to the start, but left my sweatshirt on until just before the race started. They announced the pros, did the national anthem, and before you know it, the canon went off. It took me about 3 minutes before I crossed the start line, so while walking to the start, I took off my sweat shirt and was ready to get this started.

  • 3h 39m 15s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile

Once I crossed the start line, I started running at an easy pace. My goal was 3:30, so I figured I could get to mile 1 around 8:00 with an uphill and then the downhill would keep me at a good pace on the way back down the bridge. Through all my training, I was able to keep my HR low at that pace, so 3:29 should have been easy. Anyway, to stay comfortable through the race, I had a tank top on with arm warmers, gloves a head band, and tri shorts. I know people say tri shorts are a no-no for running only events, but when you chafe a lot, they keep everything in tact and do a great job reducing chafing. So forgive the fashion faux paux. I also had my phone with me and kept that in a SPI belt along with a few other small things as I chose the no bag option.

On the bridge, you could feel the wind, I felt it was going to blow my race number off. It was a beautiful day, a bit cold, but the wind made it really tough. I really wanted to take in the fact that I was running the NYC marathon on the bridge and enjoy the moment before the rest of the race got underway. My HR monitor was acting up for the first 10 minutes since it wasn’t wet, it was reading in the 200s, so I was a bit blind. After we crossed the bridge, you end up in Brooklyn with tons of people. It was a lot of fun, during this time, I was keeping up a good pace but with the wind coming from the North, I could see my HR was about 10 beats per second higher than it should have been. But I felt great, so I just kept going.. My favorite part of Brooklyn is where all the corrals merge right near the Barclays center at mile 8. It was really loud and fan support was great. Around mile 9, I really had to pee, so I hit a porta-john knowing that I would rather do it early on when I knew one was available. That cost me about 45 seconds, but it was so worth it. That whole stretch of Brooklyn was great, I was keeping myself in check and before I knew it, we were at the halfway mark. Up until that point, I was averaging 7:50/mile and then hit the halfway mark feeling great. I was still on track to run a good race and the first hill at Pulaski bridge at mile 13 did slow me down a little bit.

I told Karna and the kids to take the train to Queensboro plaza to see me at the 15 mile mark right before we hit the Queensboro bridge. They have never gone on the subway without me there, so I was little worried that they would have had navigational issues and given up, but sure enough, they right around mile 15, before you make the left onto the bridge, there they were. I gave them a high five, said hi, and took off over the bridge. I was proud that they faced their subway fears.

Anyway, as everyone said, the bridge is quiet and they were right. They also said it seems like the uphill goes on forever, and they were right. It seemed like a gradual uphill for a long time on the bridge. I knew I was going to slow down, and I did, I also had GPS signal issues, so I lost track of pace, I was just trying to keep my HR in check. Up until this point I was averaging, high 150s in my HR and I was supposed to keep it at 145. Going up the hill on the bridge, I actually brought my HR down because that’s all I had to focus on. Then we hit the downhill, which helped and made the turn onto 1st avenue and I started getting goose bumps from the crowd.

Finally in Manhattan, I started counting down (actually up) to 127th since that is where you hit the Bronx. The 60s and 70s flew by, but as we were getting into the 100s, I could feel my legs getting heavier. The 3:30 pace group passed me at this point and I thought I could keep up with them, then I thought they were going way to fast, so I’ll catch up to them later. Apparently I was delusional at this point as the high HR was finally catching up with me. When we finally got to the Pulaski bridge, I could tell it was going to be a painful last 6 miles in. Once over the hill and hitting the Bronx, I just focused on getting back into Manhattan because I hoped that once we made the turn back south, that the wind would at least be at our backs. The Bronx was fun, they were very proud of their borough, but I couldn’t appreciate it because of the lactic acid in my legs. Crossed the bridge and back in Manhattan for the last 5 miles.

Once on 5th avenue, I could not tell that there was any change in wind, so I knew this was going to be tough. I finally shed my gloves just to try something different. I then had sweat gathering in my eyes which stings and blinds you for a bit. It was on 5th avenue right before you get to Marcus Garvey park that I started seeing people walk. I did not want to walk, so I just kept pushing despite some blinding from sweat. I kept looking for the next logical guidepoint. After the park, I looked forward to getting to 110th so we hit Central Park. The next guidepoint was 97th where I knew I would start to hit the worst hill on the course. And sure enough, it was tough. I just kept pushing on. I had my name on the front of my shirt, so through the first 20 miles, when people would say “You got this Kevin”, it was a little shot of adrenaline, by the time you are at mile 23 and going into central park and people say “Looking Good Kevin”, you want to stop and explain to them how bad you look and feel, but I just wanted to get the race over.

Got past the hill and finally cutting into Central Park for the home stretch. This is what I call death by a hundred little hills and twists. I see a mile marker ahead of me and am excited that I’m finally at mile 25, but it’s just the 40K marker. Every small progress counts at this point. But with my legs feeling like logs and a mental struggle for each step, we finally get to mile 25, then finally to the turn on Central Park South. I have walked around Central Park South in the past, but never really noticed a hill when you go east to west, but once I turned on CPS, all I could see was an uphill for some reason. That was painful, but I knew Karna and the kids would be there, so I tried to give it my all. Then, about halfway to the park entrance, the 3:35 pace group passed me and I was thinking, if I can hang with them, 3:35 would be great given the conditions. I probably hung with them for about 100 yards, but then my legs went back to an easier pace. Anyway, I took a right turn into the park and regardless of the time on the clock wanted to savior my accomplishment and the day. No matter what my time was, I was about to finish the NYC Marathon. I crossed the line at 3:39:15. About 10 minutes short of my goal, but given the weather, I was proud of my time.

Post race
Warm down:

I got my medal and a reflective blanket, took a quick picture and started the walk. I could tell I was hurting. I kept waiting for the park exit where you get your poncho. As I was walking, I pulled out my phone and called Karna and they were back at the hotel, I told her I’d be there in about 30 minutes. Made the turn onto 8th avenue and finally saw the blue ponchos as I was starting to get cold. A really nice volunteer brough a warm poncho over to me wrapped me up like a little kid, pulled my hood over me and it was the warmest/nicest feeling ever.

I wasn’t sure how to cross over CPS to get back to the Hilton, so I just hoped on the subway at Columbus Circle (where the walk down the stairs to the train were a feat) and took it to Rockefeller center still bundled up. Got to the hotel, took a shower, and then the family and I did a little sight seeing around the city.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather and wind. Other than that, I felt really good.

Event comments:

I loved this. One of the highlights of my life. Great volunteer support

Last updated: 2014-03-20 12:00 AM
03:39:15 | 26.2 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/5881
Overall: 0/50511
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5