Cardinal Harbour Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Louisville, Kentucky
United States
Headfirst Performance
96F / 36C
Total Time = 6h 56m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am, drank a slim-fast and coffee, and ate a banana... and then later on I had 1/2 english muffin. We arrived at the race about an hour early, went to packet pickup, got body marked, pumped our tires, and headed down to the transition area. As we were walking, Heather Gollnick comes jogging by! Tina heard she was going to be there, so we were excited to se her. WOW, Heather definitely looks like a pro athlete!

After we got our transition stuff laid out, Tina realized she didn't have her running socks, so she had to run back to the van 15 minutes before the start of the race. I was nervous for her.

Event warmup:

Bob and I headed down to the river and jumped in. I got worn out just treading water against the current, so I started to get really nervous. We got out of the water and the RD started talking... Tina made it back. The RD talked past 8am, so Tina had time to catch her breath.
  • 49m 28s
  • 2431 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards

The men started first, and then the women were 5 minutes later. The men started out and I felt really panicky about the current. I looked over at Tina and she looked like she was scared to DEATH. I was surprised because she's done so many triathlons - and she had done this race last year when it was an olympic. Seeing her terrified really freaked me out.

No time to freak out - it was time to go. The RD started to count down, and I could see Heather Gollnick already at the first buoy. Then we were off! I started to swim against the current and it wasn't that bad. I immediately started to relax. This was actually one of the nicest swims I've ever done. The sun was at an angle that it wasn't in my eyes. The buoys were really small - but they were easy to see. I had no problems spotting whatsoever. And since the men started first, I had no one climbing over me. It was a stress free swim. I concentrated on my stroke... I pulled strong and I thought I was doing really well. When I got to the turn around at the last buoy I checked my watch... 35:00! WTH? Maybe the current was stronger than I thought. I hoped the current would bring me back to the finish really fast, because my time sucked. The finish did come quickly, but I forgot to look at my watch when I exited the water. The timing mat was at the beginning of T1, so there was a little bit of a walk/run after the swim before I hit the mat.
What would you do differently?:

I felt like I did the best I could do!
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s

The grass was wet and sticking all over me, so I took some time to wipe it off a bit before putting on my shoes. Otherwise it felt like a fast T1. I loved not having a wetsuit to struggle with.
  • 3h 41m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.20 mile/hr

I knew the course was tough, so I told myself I was going to take it easy until I was finished with 1694, and then maybe I push it a bit harder, but I definitely wanted to save my legs for the run. After the windy road out of Cardinal Harbour, we hit a section of 42 that I'd never ridden on before. It was a LONG steady uphill. Not too bad, but my legs were already getting tired. I was having a great time and was in good spirits. I hit 1694 and had a blast going down the big hill, climbing up the next and then turning around and doing it all over again. I love that section of the race! We got back on 42 and passed the IMLou turnoff on 393. We took 53 to Old Sligo Rd. That's where we met back up with the IMLou course. Old Sligo and L'Espirit are the prettiest sections of the race. I was still having a great time... until I hit the last aid station back on 42. It was a long ride back, and I was tired. I still gave it my all, but I could tell I was riding slower than usual and I wasn't having a good time at all. I was so happy to see the last section of the course. It was kind of a dangerous road, so I took it slow and braked often.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure what to do differently. I think my body was just tired from all the training. Hopefully the IM taper will work it's magic and I won't feel that way during the big race. It was also a HOT day... I didn't really feel the heat on the bike, but it must have played a part in the way I was reacting.
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s

T2 was hotter than HELL. We were in the direct sun, and everything was just baking. I popped 4 e-caps and 2 advil, and drank a sip of the lava water that was sitting on my towel. I put on my shoes and socks and they were toasty! I'd never felt this much heat before! I grabbed my number belt with my powergels, my hat, and I started jogging out of T2.
  • 2h 21m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile

As soon as I exited T1, I was handed a cup of warm water to drink. I was really worried about the aid stations on the run. I started an EASY jog up the hill to the run course. As I'm leaving Cardinal Harbour, I see Heather Gollnick coming in to finish her race. I cheered for her as she booked it. Then I'm out there all alone... no one in front of me, but I didn't look back to see if anyone was behind me. Didn't seem like it. I see a guy finishing his race, so I told him nice job. I rounded the corner and who do I see? Tina! The run had a section we had to run 3 times, so I asked her how much further she had. She said she was DONE. I was shocked because I only remember seeing Heather, and one other guy. I figured I must have missed people because it was hot, but I swore that they were the only two. I didn't see anyone else behind Tina until I got to the first aid station. This is the part we had to do three times. There were lots of racers on the course. I'd never seen so many people walking at a race before! I got a water at the first aid station and it was really cold. Thank GOD. I saw a bottle of Coke under the table, so the next time I hit that aid station I got a coke. It was on the rocks... lots and lots of ice. It was the best damn Coke I'd ever tasted. All of a sudden I felt like a million bucks. I kept the cup of ice and held an ice cube in my hand at all times. It lasted me until the next aide station, where I would get more water or coke and ice. I alternated with coke and e-caps, or water and a powergel. It was so freakin' hot, so I had a total of 16 e-caps during the run, plus 4 powergels that each had 200mg of sodium. I felt as good as I could considering... anytime I'd get tired, I'd have some Coke and it would pep me up. I passed so many walkers! I finally finished my 3 laps and I headed back to the finish... which was much further than I thought. We had to run way past the transition area to the end of the housing development, then we ran down towards the river and finished the last 3/4 mile in the grass - which was kind of tall. I ran as fast I thought safely possible. I was huffing and puffing and I thought I would puke from all the liquids in my tummy. I finally finish and the first thing Bob said after congrats was "WOW, you're covered in salt!"
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It was hot and I am thrilled I was able to run the entire course without stopping.
Post race
Warm down:

We got our stuff, packed the car and headed to the awards ceremony. Women's results were first. Heather of course won first place in 4:47 (I think). Tina was 2nd at 5:05. The 3rd place finisher was something like 45minutes after Tina. I was happy to get my 3rd place age group coffee mug award... there were probably only 3 people in my AG, but I deserved it after such a tough race!

Then the mens awards were given out. I forgot that the men started 5 minutes before the women. The 1st place man was 5:07. TINA beat every single man out there!! I couldn't freakin' believe it! It was such a tough day, and she had a lot of things go wrong on the course, and she still beat all those guys and their fancy bikes. Tina has an old crappy Giant tri bike that she bought used off e-bay... even the day before the race the bike shop was telling us that her bike should probably retire soon.

Bob was really excited for us getting awards, and told us this was the first time he'd been to an awards ceremony. He's never done a small race before. We hoped he'd get an award too... but who knows because the mens competition is much tougher. Well he did it! He got 2nd place in his age group with a time of 6:13.

I think my time was 6:53... so slow. All the times were slow. But it was brutal out there. I think we all had successful races because we all were able to go out there and finish the race without falling apart.

I am so amazed by Tina. I wish she could afford to get a really good coach. I think she would fit right in with all the top pros if she had all the right training. I'm so proud of her and I can't wait to see how she does in FL. I hope she qualifies for Kona again by getting FIRST. She doesn't think so - she thinks the competition in FL will be much tougher than IMLou last year. We shall see!

Event comments:

I thought this was a really great race! It started a little late, but only because the RD answered a bunch of questions from the Racers. I was happy to listen to the extra info on the course.

There were plenty of volunteers... even Heather Gollnick volunteered at one of the run aid stations for a little bit! There was plenty of water on the run, and with the exception of the first water stop right out of T1, the water was ICE COLD. They even gave out sports bottles filled with ice water for the athletes to carry with them. Heed was available ont the course - I'm not a fan, but hey at least they had something. They had plenty of gels, e-caps, water and coke. the volunteers were the friendliest ever!
I did wish there was one more aid station on the bike course (there was only tw0). But other than that, this was a well prepared race on such a hot day (96 degrees). I will definitely do this race again!

Last updated: 2008-07-13 12:00 AM
00:49:28 | 2431 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/
Suit: one piece Zoot
Course: The swim was just a straight swim out against the current and then back with the current in the Ohio River.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Time: 01:45
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
03:41:05 | 56 miles | 15.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Time: 02:45
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
02:21:42 | 13.1 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4