Portland, OR
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 41s
Overall Rank = 94/415
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/35
Pre-race routine:

Had two eggs for breakfast and a small bowl of cereal. Had 45 minutes to get ready and felt a little rushed. Fortunately, I had done a good job packing the night before. Arrived at the race, got my packet and goodies. I went to the transition and set up my bike and towel. I set my helmet, then my biking shoes, then my running shoes on the blanket. I ate half a Clif Bar and drank some water. Then I went down and changed into my race suit and wetsuit (Note: it might be a good idea to brin some flip-flops in the future for the walk back to transition.) I got a little freaked out when I saw that my front tire was low and that I had left my bike pump at the car but I decided to ignore it and head down to the water since I didn't know the route and there wasn't any information about it in my packet. I got in the water, swam a very short distance, and defogged my goggles. Talked to some people about the course. Finally, someone came on the intercom and explained the course. At this point the race was so late starting that I ran back to T1 and found someone who could fill my tire. This worked out fine.
Event warmup:

None really. Short swim. I should have ridden the bike just a little to test it out. I should try to arrive to the place a little earlier. 35 minutes was kind of nerve wracking
Swim
  • 13m 53s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Unbelievable swim. After my one lake practice swim I was expecting to be much slower. The first 200 meters were scary, with all the turbulence, and with someone swimming up my back, but I swam through it hard and it paid off. I had planned on starting on the outside to avoid the chaos, but at the last minute I moved more central because the outside was really shallow and I didn't want to have to swim through muck. It was really turbulent where I ended up, but I think it paid off. By the first bouy, all the super-athletes were way ahead of me, and just about everyone else was behind. No one passed me and I wasn't able to pass anyone. I wasn't able to draft but it didn't seem to really matter. My pace was good. I swirved a little bit, swimming wide of the second bouy and then having to swim back a little bit after aiming too far inside of the third, but I don't think I was way off.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Worked out good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

I did a good job of getting my wetsuit loose and my cap off on the run towards my bike. Got out of my wetsuit in a decent amount. Had placed everything fine. Great job.
Bike
  • 37m 45s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I was slow on the bike--I'm not really sure whether it was from the fast swim or the allergies or some mild asthma. I was kind of lackidaisical coming out (although I like to do this to get into the rythym of the bike and take my first GU shot) and I never seemed to feel completely comfortable on the bike. Getting passed by all the people who I whipped on the swim didn't help either. When I hit the first downhill, I was sort of drifting off mentally and I didn't shift gears correctly.

Get the bike adjusted a week before the race rather than the night before. Everything turned out all right, but the gear shifting seemed off to me and more than anything I just didn't trust my bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Bike/run transition was fine without any goof-ups

I suppose I could learn some tri techniques, like being able to dismount with the bike still moving and all...
Run
  • 25m 42s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 08s  min/km
Comments:

Just couldn't ever contain my breathing. And again the psychological issue of being out in front from the swim and getting caught up with. Felt properly hydrated and everything, but was kind of asthmatic.

I dunno
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little, sat on a bench and almost puked. Finally got my breath back after about 5 minutes

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The breathing really hurt me during the bike and then even more so in the run. Somohow got to get more oxygen to those lungs...

Event comments:

Considering the above average cost of the race, it would have been really nice to get a detailed course description and map in the packet, or at the very least online before the race. I saw that there was a map on a table inside the pavilion, but it wasn't obvious that it was there and I didn't see it after the race. The swim course wasn't explained to us until right at the gun.

Anyway.

Overall, I met my goal of the race which was to get some experience in a lake swim before the big Olympic in 3 weeks. My swim time was awesome and I hope it will make the next lake swim a little less daunting. I'm a little concerned that my breathing went so haywire in this race that I'll have even more trouble at Pacific Crest (3500' elevation). But since this was a "C" race for me, I'm not going to beat myself up about the slower than expected bike and swim times. Also, I need to remember to enjoy these things, especially @ Pacific Crest in 3 weeks. It's nice to have goals, but I should also just be happy with a finish since it will be my first Olympic!

Last updated: 2005-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:53 | 880 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/35
Overall: 74/415
Performance: Good
Suit: Full suit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average