Wales
Brecon Leisure
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 25m 51s
Overall Rank = 146/200
Age Group = 40
Age Group Rank = 12/21
Pre-race routine:

Eventually got to the site about an hour early and drove around the run route. Not sure if this was such a good idea as I'm sure knowing how long the hills were psychologically slowed me down. Watched the early waves go in the pool which helped ease the nerves. Remember to breath!
Event warmup:

Alot of walking around, making sure everything was ready in transition. Limited stretches.
Swim
  • 21m 34s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

Really happy with the swim - front crawl throughout; good breathing, never panicked or had to do one sided breathing; good sighting in order to overtake - the time is exagerated because it includes transition 1, which must have taken me at least 6 -7 minutes, I literally ambled through transition. 4 people to a lane and I absolutely blitzed them, timing overtaking for the turns. Absolutely chuffed with this performance.
What would you do differently?:

I'd read other BT's advice that anyone using a wetsuit for the first time should try it out pre race day - well as one newbie to another - I found wearing a swim cap quite different. For the first 10 or so strokes I really found my head riding high. Possibly should have tried wearing one before hand, will definately get wet with wetsuit before race day.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

There was about 100 meters from the pool to transition 1 which was quite rough. Opted to have flip flops to avoid cutting my feet. Wrong option! Should have towelled down and put my trainers on at poolside which would have sped up transition by about 3 - 4 minutes.

Thought more about transition tactics.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 41s
  • 20.5 miles
  • 17.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Disappointed with the time which can be put down to very damp road conditions, very much on my own for the majority of the race with no-one to chase down or to pace (those that did pass me dropped me quickly) and the fact that I didn't have the bottle to push. Kept too much in reserve for the run. Again the time is exagerated as it includes time in transition 2

Push more on the bike and believe I can manage the run. Inexperience showing.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Overall transition 2 wasn't that bad for a first attempt. Had been riding with my running shoes so all I needed to do was to rack the bike, take helmet and gloves off, have a last drink and away I went. First hundred meters was a bit like bambi but not too bad. In hindsight, I didn't "jump" off my bike or run to the rack so it could have been quicker.

Quicker off the bike; run to rack; quicker out. I was far too relaxed.
Run
  • 55m 36s
  • 5.2 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Really poor run being passed by all sorts. I really need to work on my running, by far my worst discipline.

Run faster!!!!!!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Very little. Hugged and talked to all my supporters who made the effort to come and see me finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inability to run fast or at least push myself. I feel I didn't treat it as a race but more of a training session which the objective was to finish not to post good or great times. At the end I was told I looked fresh and to be honest I didn't have any lactic acid, dehydration or fatigue. Could have gone so much harder if I had believed more in my ability to finish.

Event comments:

Rating it as average because I know no different, however there wasn't anything layed on for spectators during the race or after it.

Last updated: 2005-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:34 | 800 meters | 02m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 138/200
Performance: Good
Unfortunately I didn't start my own stop watch due to rushed start.
Suit: N/R
Course: In door 25 meter pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:41 | 20.5 miles | 17.91 mile/hr
Overall: 118/200
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:36 | 05.2 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 161/200
Performance: Below average
Course: If the total course was 5.2 miles, then 3.5 had to be uphill. What a bitch! and having driven the course before the race just made me slow down more than normal.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes