General Discussion Race Reports! » Redlands Bicycle Classic Criterium -- Public Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Redlands Bicycle Classic Criterium -- Public - Cycle

View Member's Race Log
redlands, California
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 18m
Overall Rank = 12?/18
Age Group = 34+
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Cliff bar, rode bike down to event, watched some other races including kids races. Waited and Waited.
Event warmup:

Ride down to event, circle around parking lot for awhile.
Bike
  • 19m
  • 7.2 miles
  • 22.74 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first Criterium. It was not a Cat 5, but simply a public crit. There were definitely some people who should have been in the Cat. races (shaved legs, sinewed legs) but The more the merrier. It was not what I expected. I thought it would be drafting all the way in a tight pack. No. The fitness level of the particpants was on a large spectrum. For me it was mostly a solo race with a little drafting near the end. Basicly my start sucked beyond belief. I cranked down and was ready to click in my second pedal when I almost hit the guy in front of me who was going nowhere. I almost ate it and clicked out (both feet) at last second to save myself. I ended up 50 ft behind everyone before I knew it and played catch up the rest of the way. I slowly picked off other racers. Went back and forth w/one rider for the second half of the race. Finally at the end I got strategic and drafted off him until the last two hundred yards and passed him at the end. That was satisfying and what I was looking forward to in this race, the strategic element in bike racing that we don't have in tris. Also my throat got very dry during the race, I drank all my gatorade before the race thinking the race was too short for drinking. WRONG.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to start, ie pay attention. Train more as always. Bring gatorade or other drink.
Post race
Warm down:

ride bike home

Event comments:

I don't know why they didn't track the places for our race, they did for all the others.

Last updated: 2006-03-27 12:00 AM
Biking
00:19:00 | 07.2 miles | 22.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/18
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Criterium Course 6 laps x 1.2 miles. Essentially a box. Flat, slightly uphill start lenght, followed by R and quick left uphill, flat back stretch and then downhill R after downhill to start.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 100
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-03-27 11:46 AM

Subject: Redlands Bicycle Classic Criterium -- Public
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redlands Bicycle Classic Criterium -- Public Rss Feed