General Discussion Race Reports! » WABC Fight Against Prostate Cancer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

WABC Fight Against Prostate Cancer - Run

View Member's Race Log
New York, NY
United States
New York Road Runners
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 35s
Overall Rank = 751/3371
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a little more time than I'm accustomed to for this 8am race to wake myself up, have some coffee and some cereal, and trek across town. Of course, too much time for me quickly turns into not enough time, and when I got off the crosstown bus, I inadvertently had to do a mile jog to get to the starting line on time. I did my registration and bag check in lightning quick time, and moved into the nine-minute mile starting area to allow a few moments to compose myself after rushing around. I really thought this would be the race I was late to, but the three minutes or so it took to get past the starting line helped out tremendously.
Event warmup:

Inadvertent one mile jog, which was actually pretty helpful to loosen me up.
Run
  • 35m 35s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Absolutely stunning day to run. Once again, I feel like if I would have been closer to the starting line, I might've gone a little faster overall. However, I took it slow getting through the crowd, and did an 8:22 first mile -- and closed with a 6:24 mile. This seems to be the way to go, and my marathon coach always tried to get us to do negative splits. This one seems a little extreme to me, and I'm too much of a novice to analyze it. Any advice on my performance and what to shoot for in future runs?
What would you do differently?:

Get to the race a little earlier. :-)
Post race
Warm down:

A banana, some water, and stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, really. Got a little slowed down by the crowds between mile 3 and 4 when the race course slimmed.

Event comments:

#2 of my 9 NYC 2005 Marathon qualifiers for the year.

Last updated: 2004-06-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:35 | 05 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 751/3371
Performance: Good
Course: Central Park. Start on 69th Street and head north on West Drive, up to the 102nd transverse, then back south down East Drive all the way around the south end of the park, back up to 69th.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes