Hipereventos
hotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 51m 23s
Overall Rank = 1045/2034
Age Group = Submaster 30-34
Age Group Rank = 155/?
Pre-race routine:

Terrible! Returned from a day of kayaking and open-water swimming at 10pm last night. Was supposed to take it easy yesterday, but was having too much fun.

Woke up sunburnt, with an upset stomach and a mild fever. Might have been suffering from a mild dehydration. Decided to race anyway.

Ate some dry fruit for breakfast, but had to, well, throw up. The food at the beach yesterday was definitely not athlete-friendly!
Event warmup:

Jogged for about 20 minutes. Stretching.
Run
  • 51m 23s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 08s  min/km
Comments:

My throat was somewhat sore and sensitive after the morning incident...Tried to drink Gatorade or water on the run, but couldn't really swallow.

Had a nice slow run, slowest ever in a race!
What would you do differently?:

Well, I would really try to prepare prior to a race, even if its just for training purposes.

I still felt I did well (though nearly 4 min above my 10K PB). The ITB did not hurt at all (good news!).

Though it may sound silly to run with a mild fever, I pretty much thought it would resemble the hardships of running after a 1.5K swim and a 40K ride. I was going slow, but I still felt like I was pushing it. I hope my run times in my first tri are somewhere around this result or better.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finisher's medal and stood in line for post-race refreshments and a bag full of sponsor's gifts for about 30 min. Got neither! Way before it was my turn, the organization had run out. People were taking two and even three bags at a time, and they were completely disregarding the line. Not a nice way to end an event. Bummer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fever, sunburn, stomach trouble, first 10k after 2 months of injury recovery.

Quite a long list of excuses; however, I'm glad ITBS is not one of them.

I definitely need to pick up my running in these 4-5 weeks prior to my first tri on Oct 24.

Event comments:

Great race, great course. Over 2000 runners!

A couple of organization "issues" need to be addressed, however--specially regarding post-race refreshments and sponsor's gifts.

I found out that an Oly will be held on Oct 2, three weeks prior to my race. I am really thinking of doing that one for training purposes also.

Last updated: 2004-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:51:23 | 10 kms | 05m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 0/2034
Performance: Below average
First 5k @ approximately 24 min. Second 5k @ 27 or so.
Course: Nice course through the city. Live music every 2k. Sponges at Km 9!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes