General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Muscle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-17 10:08 AM

User image

Regular
Palatka, Florida
Subject: Shin Muscle

Hello All,

I have started the beginning stages of my Triathlon training. I have started with the couch to 5k training program in order to get my running up to speed. I have just finshed my sencond week of the walking phase and I have noticed my shin muscles get really tight and tired about 10 to 15 minutes in to  my walk. I am pretty confident that this is just do to the fact that they are not used to this much walking and this pace, but I wanted to check with you all here just to make sure this is normal. After and during my walk I do not have any pain any where else except in my shin muscles.

Thanks for any help and advice that you all can give me.

Chris

2008-08-17 12:56 PM
in reply to: #1608638

User image

Subject: RE: Shin Muscle

The issue could be you starting an exercise plan with no previous daily exercise routine, weak anterior muscles, hills, bad shoes, over training, lack of rest etc....

Here is are 3 articles to get you started that may help you identify the issue(s) and remedies 

http://www.integrative-healthcare.org/mt/archives/2006/02/massage_for_ant.html  

http://www.runningonline.com/zine/Injuries/73.sht  

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/196.shtml  

You may also want to research the tibialis anterior. This muscle has been noted to be the last to warm up,first to cool down and the shin splint guy.

Best of Luck 

2008-08-17 2:12 PM

CO
When was the last time you bought new shoes? If it's been awhile, that could be the problem...
2008-08-17 2:13 PM

User image

Regular
Palatka, Florida

Thanks for the links I will do some research and see what I can find.

The last pair of running shoes that I bought was about two years ago and really don't think that they are broken in yet. But new shoes are on the list now that my wife will be going back to work (she is a school teacher, so funds are low over the summer.)

Also, after my walk withing 5 to 10 minutes of me getting done with all of my streaching and cool down exercises, my shin muscle seems to loosen up and the pain goes away.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by CG415 2008-08-17 2:17 PM
2008-08-17 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Pretty normal stuff. When you first start a running program, shin splints is one of the most common ailments.

Yes it is due to you using a muscle that didnt get used a lot before. You are stressing it with more distance and more speed than it is used too. With time, that muscle will get stronger and not hurt anymore.

Until that happens, you need to lower the intensity by either less distance or go slower.

The smart thing is to keep going the distance, and go slower. You need the distance to build your endurance. Slower distance, will build up your muscles and burn more calories than going fast for a short distance.

Oh, when you start running, go a lot slower than you think you should. Like grandma in a walker slow.

Runners have a saying, " Speed kills newbies". Meaning you get out of breath and get discouraged, and faster running means you land harder, which hurts the muscles.

When you decide to start running, run at a speed where you can comfortably talk without huffing and puffing.

Congrats on starting this.

Cash
2008-08-17 9:17 PM

User image

Regular
Palatka, Florida

Thanks for the advice, I will slow my pace down and see if that helps. I have figured out that his is deffinetly a long term commitment, and you can't rush things like this. And I am deffinetly commited to changing over to a healthier way of life. I guess the old saying is true, "Slow and steady wins the race."

Chris

2008-08-17 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Maybe this will encourage you some ...

I started into my cardio around about Jan or Feb of this year, as an add-on to weight lifting.  I was trying to rebuild my strength after shoulder surgery ... then I say a program on PBS television about a Dr. Roisen (sp?) and his book "You on a Diet."  If you have the $14 or $17 please buy it, I got mine at Walmart.

One of the main themes throughout the whole book is about walking at least 30 minutes a day, or at least 3 to 4 times a week.

I started walking the inside track at my YMCA after weights, just 20 or 30 minutes.  Shins hurt, heels hurt, my arches hurt.  Just out of pain and soreness I started walking slower.  Didn't hurt as much afterwards. 

I walked every single day except maybe 1 or 2 days, but that was the rare week.  Each week I increased walking by 15 minutes.  Soon I was up to 4 or 5 miles, depending on how much time I had.

I was somewhere between 306 and 313 lbs.  Just by walking (had not changed any eating habits yet - was actually woofing it down pretty good cause I was still heavy weight training), but I was consistently losing 1 to 2 lbs. a week.  (I think weights helped with fat loss, see other thread).

Then I tried jogging instead of walking - my shins killed me, I quit jogging after 2 tries.  As I look back at my jogging pace and what I'm doing now - I definetly jogged at too fast a pace.

Instead went to eliptical cause of the low impact.

On Aug 1st, I had lost about 65 lbs., started my tri training, have ran about 4 times now and have no shin or foot pain (and you would not believe how slow the pace is .... but it's working ... read up on Chi Running / Chi Walking ... that seems to be working for me ....)

So the advice above on slower pace, just get in the distance and put in enough time (as in walk every day) .... and before you know it ... in a month or two you WILL feel so much better, probably have dropped 10 - 15 pounds, and before you know it will be jogging and thinking about doing your first sprint tri.

Good luck and Walk EVERY single day, at least 30 minutes - even of two 15 minute walks!  By week 3 do 45 mintues, by week 5 an hour ... after that it's all gravy ....

2008-08-18 8:53 AM

User image

Regular
Palatka, Florida

First off I want to say congratulations on your acomplisments thus far, keep up the great work!

Thanks for the encourgement it deffinetly helps a lot know that there are so many people who understand where I am coming from and want to get.

Just to let you all know here is what my exercise schedule looks like for this week.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: Cirucuit Training. Jump Rope, Sit ups, Push Ups, Lunges, and Squat Thrusts.

I try to do an easy 10 minute warm up jumping rope and then move in to my circuit training. A set for my circuit training is Situps = 5, Pushups = 3, Lunges = 5, Squat Thrusts = 3. This is ones set. What I ususally do is see how many sets I can do in 10 to 15 minutes.

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday: Walking. 20 minutes everyday except Saturday then I do 15 minutes. I think thats what my schedule says.

In the next couple of months I hope to be able to pick up a bike and then I can work that in to my plan as well. After that I will have to find a place to swin. Thats the bad thing about living in a small town, no YMCA's or deacent gyms to work out in.

Like I said I have only been doing this for two weeks and already I feel so much better than I did before.

Do you all think this should be a good starting exercise plan, or do you think I could change some things?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by CG415 2008-08-18 8:55 AM
2008-08-19 7:38 PM

User image

Regular
Palatka, Florida

Just to give you all an up date. I walked today at my usual moderate pace for 15 min, and no pain. I really can tell that I am improving every time I go out. Even when I am jumping rope I can tell that I am doing it alot longer in between stepping on the rope and I'm not as wore out when I'm finished.

This is awesome!!

Peace,

Chris

2008-08-19 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
El Segundo, CA

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but...

Should the shin pain strike again, try applying ice to the sore area for 10-15 minutes after your workout (don't apply directly- place cubes in a ziploc bag and/or towel first). I had wicked shin splints running track in college. The ice helps keep inflammation down so they aren't as sore the next day. And guess what? They do go away eventually.

Congrats, and good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Muscle Rss Feed