General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMWI or IMKY? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-31 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Subject: IMWI or IMKY?
I'm trying to decide whether to try to sign up for IMWI or IMKY for my first ironman in 2010. Lousiville is closer to home but I like the idea of a wetsuit legal race. How do the bike and run courses compare? Any other info on things I should consider would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Art

2009-08-31 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2380770

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: IMWI or IMKY?
Go to www.ironmanusa.com  They have course outlines for several IM's.  I am/was in the same position.  I finally decided on IMWI even though it's 3 hours farther away.  FWIW, I decided on IMWI because I don't really like the idea of swimming in the Ohio, though I am sure it's fine and I don't do so well in extreme heat and humidty.  That said, all IM's are going to be tough and this year, the weather for IMKY was really good and you never know what you could get in Madison in September!

2009-08-31 4:03 PM

User image

Champion
reid15 - 2009-08-31 2:26 PM I'm trying to decide whether to try to sign up for IMWI or IMKY for my first ironman in 2010. Lousiville is closer to home but I like the idea of a wetsuit legal race. How do the bike and run courses compare? Any other info on things I should consider would be appreciated. Thanks, Art

Having done both of them, here is my breakdown:

Swim:
IMWI is a mass-start, wetsuit-legal, two-loop swim around a rectangle in front of Monona Terrace.  MT is packed with spectators that you can actually hear while you're swimming.  After getting out, there is a LOOONG transition run up the paved helix to the (INDOOR!!!!) transition area.  There are spectators lining the helix to cheer as you run up to transition.

IMKY is a time-trial, non-wetsuit, point-to-point swim.  While you don't have the washing machine effect or contact hazard of a mass-start, you have to wait in line to enter the swim which can cause the anxiety level to ratchet up a notch or two.  Out of the water is a short run to the transition area across pavement and grass.

My Winner:  IMWI

Bike:
IMWI is a 2-loop lollipop with rolling hills and a couple of moderate climbs on each loop.  Crowd support is good through the towns.  On one of the climbs, it resembles a Tour De France mountain stage with people ringing cowbells, dressed up in costumes, and lots of close-up encouragement near the top. 

IMKY is a 2-loop lollipop with rolling hills and an out-and-back section heading away from T1 that contains the only significant climb of the day.  Scenery is nice with several horse farms along the course and the town fair is rather lively.  After the 2nd loop, you ride a net downhill back to the river which helps you make up some lost speed and gives you a chance to spin the legs a little easier before hitting the run.

My Winner:  IMKY (discounting for any weather)

Run:
IMWI is a 2-loop run through the town of Madison and through the Univ of Wisconsin, including the football stadium.  There is constant crowd support along the route and the out-and-back stretch of State Street is phenomenal with bands and wall-to-wall spectators (and the smell of good food from the restaurants).  There are a couple of short inclines within the college but nothing substantial (unless you've already ridden 112 miles and your legs feel like rubber). 

IMKY is a 2-loop, out-and-back run through Louisville along the college and out through a neighborhood.  After you leave the main couple blocks of the city, crowd support dwindles and some stretches feel desolate.  Pancake flat except for going under a bridge where the road dips down.

Weather:
IMWI is all over the map with weather patterns on race day.  One year, it was 95 and sweltering and the next year it was 50deg and raining.  2007 was perfect for raceday (mid-70s and partly cloudy) and dropped into the 50s with rain the following day. It's a crapshoot plain and simple.

IMKY has a reputation (in it's short life) as being an oven.  The weather reports from this year made my jaw drop.  2008 was high 90s with high humidity, as was 2007.  I would be willing to bet that the conditions of 2009 are not likely to be repeated in 2010.

My Winner:  IMWI (unless you like roasting)

Crowd Support:
IMWI seems to draw the surrounding community together to cheer on the race.  Everywhere you went, in the days leading up to the race, people were encouraging and wishing you luck.  On race day, there were people cheering all over the place.  Perhaps it is the proximity of the venue to the college.  Perhaps it is just the nature of the Wisconsinites (cheesers?). 

IMKY seemed to have less mystique and general enthusiasm than IMWI.  Maybe it is because it is only a few years old,  maybe people are used to bigger spectacles like the Kentucky Derby, or maybe the people just aren't as interested.  There was support in the immediate vicinity of 4th Street (start/finish area) but, otherwise, there felt like a bit of shrug-your-shoulders atmosphere.

So, there you have my interpretations of the two events side-by-side.  By simple count, IMWI is my preferred event.

I hope this helps and good luck on your journey.
2009-08-31 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Thanks Shaun!  This is an excellant comparrison and very helpful.  The only thing I'd take exception to is the waiting in line at IMKY.  I have it on good authority that you were not stressed but playing on your iPhone and engaging in good conversation with some BTers.  :-)

~Mike

2009-09-01 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Thanks Guys! Shaun, that breakdown was great! I appreciate the time you took to spell everything out. I was leaning toward WI already and that just pushed me over the edge. Now all I need to do is sign up.

Thanks again!
Art
2009-09-04 11:22 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

Anyone know which day IMWI 2010 will be?  Based on the last couple years, I'm guessing September 12 (first Sunday after Labor Day), but not sure.

2009-09-05 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2381167

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

CubeFarmGopher - 2009-08-31 4:03 PM
reid15 - 2009-08-31 2:26 PM I'm trying to decide whether to try to sign up for IMWI or IMKY for my first ironman in 2010. Lousiville is closer to home but I like the idea of a wetsuit legal race. How do the bike and run courses compare? Any other info on things I should consider would be appreciated. Thanks, Art

Having done both of them, here is my breakdown:

Swim:
IMWI is a mass-start, wetsuit-legal, two-loop swim around a rectangle in front of Monona Terrace.  MT is packed with spectators that you can actually hear while you're swimming.  After getting out, there is a LOOONG transition run up the paved helix to the (INDOOR!!!!) transition area.  There are spectators lining the helix to cheer as you run up to transition.

IMKY is a time-trial, non-wetsuit, point-to-point swim.  While you don't have the washing machine effect or contact hazard of a mass-start, you have to wait in line to enter the swim which can cause the anxiety level to ratchet up a notch or two.  Out of the water is a short run to the transition area across pavement and grass.

Bike:
IMWI is a 2-loop lollipop with rolling hills and a couple of moderate climbs on each loop.  Crowd support is good through the towns.  On one of the climbs, it resembles a Tour De France mountain stage with people ringing cowbells, dressed up in costumes, and lots of close-up encouragement near the top. 

IMKY is a 2-loop lollipop with rolling hills and an out-and-back section heading away from T1 that contains the only significant climb of the day.  Scenery is nice with several horse farms along the course and the town fair is rather lively.  After the 2nd loop, you ride a net downhill back to the river which helps you make up some lost speed and gives you a chance to spin the legs a little easier before hitting the run.

My Winner:  IMKY (discounting for any weather)

Run:
IMWI is a 2-loop run through the town of Madison and through the Univ of Wisconsin, including the football stadium.  There is constant crowd support along the route and the out-and-back stretch of State Street is phenomenal with bands and wall-to-wall spectators (and the smell of good food from the restaurants).  There are a couple of short inclines within the college but nothing substantial (unless you've already ridden 112 miles and your legs feel like rubber). 

IMKY is a 2-loop, out-and-back run through Louisville along the college and out through a neighborhood.  After you leave the main couple blocks of the city, crowd support dwindles and some stretches feel desolate.  Pancake flat except for going under a bridge where the road dips down.

Weather:
IMWI is all over the map with weather patterns on race day.  One year, it was 95 and sweltering and the next year it was 50deg and raining.  2007 was perfect for raceday (mid-70s and partly cloudy) and dropped into the 50s with rain the following day. It's a crapshoot plain and simple.

IMKY has a reputation (in it's short life) as being an oven.  The weather reports from this year made my jaw drop.  2008 was high 90s with high humidity, as was 2007.  I would be willing to bet that the conditions of 2009 are not likely to be repeated in 2010.

My Winner:  IMWI (unless you like roasting)

Crowd Support:
IMWI seems to draw the surrounding community together to cheer on the race.  Everywhere you went, in the days leading up to the race, people were encouraging and wishing you luck.  On race day, there were people cheering all over the place.  Perhaps it is the proximity of the venue to the college.  Perhaps it is just the nature of the Wisconsinites (cheesers?). 

IMKY seemed to have less mystique and general enthusiasm than IMWI.  Maybe it is because it is only a few years old,  maybe people are used to bigger spectacles like the Kentucky Derby, or maybe the people just aren't as interested.  There was support in the immediate vicinity of 4th Street (start/finish area) but, otherwise, there felt like a bit of shrug-your-shoulders atmosphere.

So, there you have my interpretations of the two events side-by-side.  By simple count, IMWI is my preferred event.

I hope this helps and good luck on your journey.

You forgot, Cubie, that IMWI has the best FUCHING VOLUNTEERS AROUND!!!

2009-09-05 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2391321

User image

Champion
Alabama

1stTimeTri - 2009-09-05 12:25 PM

Do that mean what I think it do?  Dang, they think of everything!

~Mike

2009-09-05 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2390922

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
wiky - 2009-09-05 12:22 AM

I'm guessing September 12 (first Sunday after Labor Day), but not sure.

That's it, 9/12/2010.  Found it on page 34 of this year's athlete's guide.
2009-09-05 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2391336

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Rogillio - 2009-09-05 12:33 PM

1stTimeTri - 2009-09-05 12:25 PM

Do that mean what I think it do?  Dang, they think of everything!

~Mike

Noooooooooooooooooooo, you silly, silly perv.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMWI or IMKY? Rss Feed