Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Pools in the Okanogan Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-18 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
Subject: Pools in the Okanogan
Looks like I might be moving to BC and will be needing a place to live. Just wondering which towns Between Armstrong and Winfield have pools? What are they like? Hours?

Are there many tris in the area?
Any clubs?

This is a very big decision for our family and I want to cover all my bases both for the family and for myself. I will be giving up a career that I have been in for more than 10yrs to come try something totally new so I am looking for all the positives you can offer.

Any parents of younger children on here? What are the schools like in the same towns? We really have no preference as to which town along the highway we choose, but recreation and schools will be of the utmost importance.

Any information or advice that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jeremy

2011-02-19 1:28 AM
in reply to: #3361941

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Pools in the Okanogan
2011-02-20 12:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC

Well I'm a teacher in Kelowna so feel free to email me with any questions you might have.  Kelowna is the largest city in the area and has 3 pools that come to mind.  H20 is the newest and largest (and most expensive) plus there are two others.  We have the Apple Triathlon the weekend before IMC - it's a big race.  There are lots of other smaller races in the valley all summer long.  Kelowna is probably the most expensive of the 3 main cities to buy a house.

2011-02-20 12:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC

Oops, obviously I missed the between Armstrong and Winfield part.  Still, if you lived in Winfield, the YMCA in Rutland wouldn't be toooo far away. It's a good pool.

2011-02-22 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
Is there anyone on here who happens to live in Vernon? Trying to find out what the good and bad neighborhoods are in town. The same advice would be appreciated for Armstrong, Winfield, and Lake Country.

Thanks.

2011-02-22 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3367587

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Where will you be working? The trek from Armstrong to Winfield is...long.

We've got a house in Vernon being rented out and my mum lives in Coldstream (outskirts on the Kelowna side of Vernon, nice rural area, relatively convenient to the highway if you need to drive that way).

'Bad' neighbourhoods are anywhere right around the sewage treatment plan (lots of low rent housing with less than stellar inhabitants at times), as around both arenas (they're both pretty low rent areas).  Some real nice subdivisions are out towards Coldstream (just off Buchanan Road) or up towards Silver Star (ie Phoenix Estates) and then out by Kin Beach (ie Longacre Drive area off Okanagan Landing Road...well past the sewage treatment plant and by the lake - where our rental house is...which we're wanting to sell, btw!), also Middleton Mountain area is nice.  Most "in town" isn't fantastic. Out by Kal Lake is pretty nice, too (the Vernon side of Coldstream).

Lake Country has some nice areas (Winfield is part of "Lake Country" now...that's the new muni name for Oyama, Winfield, and a couple other areas whose names I can't remember)....and some not so awesome neighbourhoods.  Off the highway (North/West usually is better).

2011-02-22 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
Thanks for the reply. I will be working in Salmon Arm and my wife in either Vernon or Kelowna. We currently live in a bedroom community north of Calgary so hour long commutes are common place for us. I will pm you about your rent to own. If we can't sell our house fast enough that may very well be an option we are looking at.
2011-02-23 2:14 AM
in reply to: #3367851

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Are you familiar with the area? I'm not wanting to beat a dead horse here, but you may find the trek through country roads (highway, but still through "the country") daily to be quite a different matter than being stuck in traffic waiting to get into the city centre.  I'm guessing that if she can't get a job in SA, you guys will want to live as close to in the middle of her job and yours as possible (ie Armstrong/Enderby with her working in Vernon).

There is no way you'd want to deal with a daily commute from Winfield to SA...it would not be pleasant for a week, much less daily for...an indeterminate time.

Good luck!
2011-02-23 11:29 PM
in reply to: #3368111

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC

Deputy - 2011-02-23 12:14 AM Are you familiar with the area? I'm not wanting to beat a dead horse here, but you may find the trek through country roads (highway, but still through "the country") daily to be quite a different matter than being stuck in traffic waiting to get into the city centre.  I'm guessing that if she can't get a job in SA, you guys will want to live as close to in the middle of her job and yours as possible (ie Armstrong/Enderby with her working in Vernon).

There is no way you'd want to deal with a daily commute from Winfield to SA...it would not be pleasant for a week, much less daily for...an indeterminate time.

Good luck!

I agree, especially in winter, or maye even worse, summer tourist traffic. .  Any chance one of you can work in the same town as the other?  Kelowna or Salmon Arm ?

2011-03-03 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
Right now we really have our sights set on some of the communities in Lake Country. Through MLS (not the same as seeing them in person), that seems to be the place (other than Salmon Arm) to get the best bang for our buck. There seems to be a lot of really nice, newer places. Vernon appears to be a little over priced.

I think my wife might be able to work in Salmon Arm, but there just doesn't seem to be the amenities available that there is living closer to Vernon or Kelowna. I think we are going to go out in a week or so to look at places.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Pools in the Okanogan Rss Feed