Other Resources The Political Joe » Christian Priveledge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-04-03 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Christian Priveledge
"The training session for students and faculty proposes to educate Christians — especially white ones — concerning their “unmerited perks from institutions and systems all across our country,” according to the ever-attentive folks at The College Fix.

The online description of the workshop suggests that Christians in the USA unfairly “experience life in an easier way than non-Christians” and therefore “have built-in advantages over non-Christians.”

Part of the continual search for the least common denominator. One of the stated objectives:

"Seminar participants should also be able to “list at least three examples of Christian privilege” after the session, as well as being able to “list at least three ways to be an ally with a non-Christian person.”"

Let me take a stab at it.

Christian Privilege:
1. At one time my boss and I went to the same church
2. Christians teach forgiveness and so don't carry around bitterness and resentment
3. Christians are thought that God will forgive you so you don't carry around all that guilt the rest of your life

Ally with non-Christian
1. Given them a chocolate bunny so they too can enjoy Easter
2. Tell them if they become a Christian they too can have the same privilege
3. Proselytize to them and invite them to church

I'm sorry, this was mostly tongue-in-cheek. I just shake my head when I see stuff like this. I just can't imagine going thru life constantly feeling like a victim. As long as you see yourself as a victim or underprivileged the world will treat you like a victim. Rise up! You are just a good as anyone else. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and go out, find your way and make a life.

2018-04-03 10:24 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Christian Priveledge
I'm trying to remember any of the scholarships or college applications that my kids put in for that mentioned Christian or had a box to select their religious affiliation.
2018-04-03 10:54 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

I'm trying to remember any of the scholarships or college applications that my kids put in for that mentioned Christian or had a box to select their religious affiliation.

Pretty sure they are prohibited from asking. Same thing with employment.

I can understand how non-Christians might feel like an outsider....especially in my part of the country. We are the belt buck of the Bible Belt! We have more churches around than you can shake a stick at!

I do understand how non-Christians feel. Back in the 1990s my wife and I applied for jobs in Ogden, Utah on Boeing's Minuteman and Peacekeeper missile programs. Boeing flew us both out there to wine and dine us and let us look around for a couple of day. The job seemed kinda dull as it was a sustainment contract....for missiles that have been in the ground for 20 years! But the main reason we decided against moving there was because we are not Mormons. The majority of people in the community are Mormon and so little league teams, girl scouts, boy scouts, etc are all assigned by what temple you go to. We were told the kids in school kinda looked down their noses at non-Mormons. So we decided we didn't want to raise our kids in that environment where they felt like outsiders.

2018-04-03 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

and you don't think that perspective would be healthy for more people to understand?

2018-04-03 12:44 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by dmiller5

and you don't think that perspective would be healthy for more people to understand?

I guess I just think that is something that doesn't need to be taught. If you have to be told schooled on how to treat people that are "not Christians" I'd say you have some serious issues.

I worked with a guy that is Muslim and we didn't treat him any differently than anyone else in the office. Obviously we didn't talk to him about what are our pastors talked about on Sunday morning or who got baptized....have to socially bankrupt to do that.

Funny thing happened with him though. BTW, he is an older guy and with a PHD and is always addressed as Dr XXX (not his real name). Anyway, we had moved to a different building and had been in the building for about 6 months when the subject came up of which way was north. Turns out he had been turned around in his directions and for 6 months had been saying his daily prayers the wrong direction! I teased him that he would need to resubmit all those prayers now that he knew which way was East. He laughed and we both had a good chuckle.
2018-04-03 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

maybe not everyone is as sophisticated and nice as you are.  You'd be surprised what people think of jews. I know this from personal experience.  Teaching people to be more tolerant, to understand their position and the position of others in society would seem to me to be a good thing.  I don't particularly like the framing of these things, but thats another discussion.

2018-04-03 4:27 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Rogillio

Originally posted by dmiller5

I guess I just think that is something that doesn't need to be taught. If you have to be told schooled on how to treat people that are "not Christians" I'd say you have some serious issues.

I worked with a guy that is Muslim and we didn't treat him any differently than anyone else in the office. Obviously we didn't talk to him about what are our pastors talked about on Sunday morning or who got baptized....have to socially bankrupt to do that.

Funny thing happened with him though. BTW, he is an older guy and with a PHD and is always addressed as Dr XXX (not his real name). Anyway, we had moved to a different building and had been in the building for about 6 months when the subject came up of which way was north. Turns out he had been turned around in his directions and for 6 months had been saying his daily prayers the wrong direction! I teased him that he would need to resubmit all those prayers now that he knew which way was East. He laughed and we both had a good chuckle.

We had a guy do that when I worked in Houston. After discovering his error, someone wrote Mecca and a big arrow using masking tape.
2018-04-03 5:37 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Speaking as an agnostic, I really don't care. I believe one makes their own karma in life, but I do recognize there are those that face greater societal headwinds than I do.
2018-04-03 9:39 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I think I'd call it "home field advantage" more than "Christian Privilege."  

By that, I mean that those familiar with and embracing the predominant culture do have an easier time than those not familiar or resistant of the cultural norms.  

If I plopped myself in Saudi Arabia, I'd have two choices:  Become familiar with and embrace the predominant Islamic culture (not necessarily convert, but for sure understand it) or bitterly resist and complain about "Islamic Privilege" (yea...see how well that works...)

The personal history behind this:  When I was 10, I spent 6 months living in Africa with my Aunt.  We were 2 of the 7 Caucasians living in a town of ~10,000 and 2 of the ~100 Christians.  

Now the fact that the US "home field" is more lush and desirable than almost anywhere else in the world isn't something I need to apologize for.  

2018-04-03 11:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio "The training session for students and faculty proposes to educate Christians — especially white ones — concerning their “unmerited perks from institutions and systems all across our country,” according to the ever-attentive folks at The College Fix. The online description of the workshop suggests that Christians in the USA unfairly “experience life in an easier way than non-Christians” and therefore “have built-in advantages over non-Christians.” Part of the continual search for the least common denominator. One of the stated objectives: "Seminar participants should also be able to “list at least three examples of Christian privilege” after the session, as well as being able to “list at least three ways to be an ally with a non-Christian person.”" Let me take a stab at it. Christian Privilege: 1. At one time my boss and I went to the same church 2. Christians teach forgiveness and so don't carry around bitterness and resentment 3. Christians are thought that God will forgive you so you don't carry around all that guilt the rest of your life Ally with non-Christian 1. Given them a chocolate bunny so they too can enjoy Easter 2. Tell them if they become a Christian they too can have the same privilege 3. Proselytize to them and invite them to church I'm sorry, this was mostly tongue-in-cheek. I just shake my head when I see stuff like this. I just can't imagine going thru life constantly feeling like a victim. As long as you see yourself as a victim or underprivileged the world will treat you like a victim. Rise up! You are just a good as anyone else. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and go out, find your way and make a life.

There is not a single thing about that "training session" that has ANYTHING to do with "Christian" privilege.  BUT.......it's a hell of a good try. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2018-04-03 11:46 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Christian Priveledge Rss Feed