BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Trizee's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-12-21 9:11 PM

User image

Upstate NY
Subject: Trizee's mentor group - CLOSED
Trizee - Mike

I am a HS teacher and assist my wife with her dental practice. Have 2 grown children and 1 at home. If not working at one job, running to a game or practice, I'm training. I've always considered myself an athlete (playng the usual throug HS) and coaching football, baseball & basketball for many, many years at various levels. Most every athletic activity was team based. Living in the Lake Placid area and volunteering at IMLP for 5 years and being intrigued by it each year, I finally decided to get it a Tri! Also, i have never been heavy (always called thin) but my pants were getting tighter and after a size upgrade I refused to go up any higher. So I started jogging to drop a few pounds, vol. @ IMLP again and so it started. I have completed IMLP 3 times (2006-08) and am going back in '09. Total addicted to training and doing races. I am not in the top of my age group, but I enjoy it, am improving each time (cut 1:45 from 06 to 07 in IMLP) and tell everyone who asks me about it that they can do it and I'll get them to the finish line. Got my wife there this year (IMLP) and will be getting my son across this year (09).

Currently I'm putting in about 6-8 hours a week. Trying to improve my swimmng and core strength. I follow Don Fink's "Becoming IronFit" 30 week program. That will be starting 12/30.

In 2008 I completed IMLP, Tupper Lake Tinman (sprint), Half Vermont Journey (1/2 iron)Lake George Tri, local Y tri and many mini races held in Lake Placid over the summer.

'09 - IMLP, will be adding at least 2-3 olympic distance, a half iron and a few local mini races. Tend to get in 8-10 races a year.

I total enjoy triathlons (even though sometimes at the start of the swim I wonder why I'm doing this to myself ) and encourage anyone I come across to join me and let them know they can do it. I have taken part in IM Adopt an Athlete program and talked to 12 HS Gym classes over 2 days and to a 5th grade class also. I have been asked in HS Sports Literature class to talk about IM also. Too many people are watching life go by rather than being active participants. Become active, get healthier, feel better, become a stronger person (phycially and mentally) and believe in yourself. Never, ever let anyone tell you WHAT YOU CAN'T DO!

Edited by trizee 2009-01-04 7:17 PM

2008-12-30 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1866519

Subject: RE: Trizee's mentor group - OPEN
I am interested in joining this mentor group. I am new to triathlons and plan on completing a few sprint tri's this summer and finishing the season with a HIM. My goal is to finish the IMLP in 2010. I have always been very active in the gym and am a certified personal trainer. I am 38 years old and would like some advise regarding attaining this goal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am starting triathlon training from ground zero, so I have no knowledge regarding nutrition during the races and I would also need help with periodization. I plan on following a BT program for the HIM and IM. I realize this is a lofty goal but I am going do this. Thanks.

Edited by Pants 2008-12-30 5:40 PM
2008-12-31 10:11 AM

User image

Regular

Hi There,

Are you accepting entries from across the pond ?? Smile

I'm a 42yo IT geek who last year decided to halt the advance of his waistline !
July 2007 was on holiday in Canada and bought my first ever running shoes.
Sept07 did a 10k, Nov07 did a HM and april 08 did my first marathon. Due to a number of reasons I ended up walking a lot in the marathon so I will return to slay that dragon someday.....

Did my first (and so far only) tri in Sept08, a novice event , and loved it. Decided that 2009 would be my tri year rather than pounding the running and injuring again.

Plans for 2009 are an offroad novice tri in March, an oly in june and then a HIM in August. Depending on what shape I'm in after that there is an offroad HIM in Sept .

My net access is sporadic as I work shifts but am usually online at strange hours Wink

best wishes for the new year when it get over to you guys !

Adrian

2008-12-31 3:20 PM

User image

Hello! I would like to join your group. This is my second year participating in triathlon. I ran 2 sprints last year--one in March, one in July. Then we moved from Washington state to England, and I gave up my workouts for the last 6 months. Now, that we are settled (new house, new job, new schools for kids, etc.), I am ready to start training again. I plan to run 1 or 2 races this spring/summer. I have knee problems, so have difficulty running. The majority of my endurance training is on the bike or in the pool.

I am a math teacher at a British secondary school. I have 3 children, ages 6, 5, and 3. My husband is in the US Air Force. I am absolutely crazy to add something else to my already busy schedule, but I need this! I do one of 2 things when I am stressed--eat or exercise. I really need the exercise! I have lost over 50 pounds, and want to lose at least 40 more. When I reach my goal weight, I will have lost over 100 pounds. I'm ready to do this!

Jenn (a misplaced Texan)
:-)
2008-12-31 5:05 PM

Hello, I am Alaskablue/Mark and would like to join your group. Last year I started training for my first tri I started off great but ended flat. I think I pushed myself to hard in the begining and eventually burnt out. I am hoping that participating with others will help me stay focused on my goal. As you can see by my screen name I am in Alaska. We have an extremely long winter forcing me to do a lot more indoor training than I would like.

I am 38, married with 3 children and enjoy the great outdoors that our state has to offer. We only have a couple of races that are within travleing distance by car. I intend to enter two sprint distance reaces. The first one will be in May and the other one is an Xterra in July. During my training last year I discovered that I really enjoyed the running and cycling, the swimming not so much.

2008-12-31 7:06 PM

User image

Upstate NY
Hi all and Happy New Year.

Just dropping a quick note to everyone to let you know I am out here and glad to hear from you.

I'm here to help anyway I can. So as we get going fire any questions you may have and I'll give you an answer, or make up something that sounds really smart Seriously, let me know what I can do to help and don't be shy, let me know if you don't understand something or what I said made no sense or didn't help.

Never mentioned it but I'm 47 (and 2 days), did my first tri at 43 and first IM at 44. So if an old geezer like me can get through it, you youngsters will have no problem. I love the bike (bring on the hills!!), improving on the run and HATE the swim (but working on it). In my first IM nutrition was almost my downfall (stopped eating on bike) and struggled in. I'll help you not make that rookie mistake.

Anyways, glad to "meet" everyone. Welcome to those of you across the big pond and up in Sarah Palin country. Celebrate New Years, but it is still a training day!

ps spell check was invented with me in mind. Since I don't have it here, I'll say I'm sorry now for the spelling goofs.

Edited by trizee 2008-12-31 7:08 PM

2009-01-01 7:14 AM

User image

Regular

Hi Guys,  Happy New Year to you all Laughing

Just been out for a gentle 2.5 miles, I'm at work today so catching up online lol.

Jen, if you are looking for events down in England-shire then have a look on www.tritalk.co.uk in their events section. It links to the british triathlon site so most events are listed there.

Long swim tomorrow then a rest day on saturday for me, whats everyone else planning ??

I am pleased with my swim progress over the last few months but am not a 'bike person', i guess triathlon was a good choice then ??  Innocent

take care

Adrian

2009-01-02 8:11 PM

User image

Hi all, if the group is still open I'd like to join.  I'm starting tri's again, I used to run them years ago in the USMC but got away from it when I got out about 13 years ago.  I'm 37 and am looking to get back into it for the fun of the sport, for the comraderie I used to enjoy, and for the fitness I certainly need.  My short term goal is to build up to Olympic distance by the end of this year and a half Ironman next.  I've run one half IM and a bunch of olympic distance races, but clearly it's been a while.

I work as a software architect mostly with customers in the US government but I occasionally work with commercial customers around the US and overseas.  I'm a father of three and have a love for photography.  I shoot portraits, headshots, weddings, and I used to do a great deal of sports work.  Car racing, motorcycle racing, kids sports, high school sports, that kind of stuff.  I did some pro tennis but never got the opportunity to shoot any tri's.

Whatdya say, have room for one more? 

2009-01-03 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1883443

User image

Upstate NY
Of coure we have room for another person. Welcome to the group. I'll be checking in often to assist in any way I can. But, please share your experience with us as people have questions.
2009-01-03 5:10 PM

User image

Regular

Hi Trizee,

Quick question....  I have never swam in a wetsuit before, how do your pool times compare to open water times ?? Over here in Scotland we NEED wetsuits in open water !

I have my first open water tri planned for June but doubt if I'll get any ow practise done before May due to water temps up here (closest water suitable is at approx 1000ft altitude )

So just curious as to how much faster my pool times need to be to be sure of the cutoff!

thanks in advance

Adrian

2009-01-03 7:54 PM

i've been lurking around these mentor groups for a while.... now i think i might have found the right one!  i've done one sprint tri (july 08) and am hoping to get back in the game in 09.  i will be 35 in april...single...no kiddies (one day)....recently moved to dallas from louisiana and wanted a "life makeover"....my triathlon in july helped me get started.  the training is SO MUCH MORE a mental battle for me than physical... a lot of negative talk creeps in.  i trained w/ a group for my last tri, but don't feel i have the same goals as they do...so i'm thankful to find this site....i just want to move forward and cross the finish line!....i'm not too concerned abt speed right now....just moving!

not sure what else i need to provide....look forward to chatting w/ all...thx!

emery 

2009-01-04 1:04 AM

New user

Coach Trizee.....if you have room for one more, I would certainly love to join this crew!  I seem to fit the group demographic!

I will be 40 at the end of this month.  I have set a goal to compete/complete the Capital of Texas Tri in Austin at the end of May.  I will be doing much of my training through Team in Training - Oklahoma City since I am board member of the Leukemia Lymphoma Society  - Oklahoma.

I, too, am a certified personal trainer and have been a lifelong active athlete.  Most of my training has revolved around resistance training with ever increasing amounts of cardio thrown in the mix as my metabolism slows down Frown!!  I am married with a 9 year old daughter at home.  My wife, who just completed her first marathon last year, and I have become very involved with TnT while our oldest, Mitchell, battled leukemia from Aug 05 until his passing on Sept. 27, 2007.  The discipline required in the triathlon/marathon events seem to be a good metaphor for Mitch's gallant efforts while he was with us and allow us to push our own physical limits as we seek a cure in his honor.

I am currently working on getting some solid baseline cardio capacity restored after a holiday season of bad eating!  I just purchased a 08 Javelin Narni tri bike a few days ago and will start incorporating run/ride training asap.  My biggest concern is the swim and I am working out details on how/when/where to my pool time. 

I look forward to learning from each of you and sharing in our collective success as we tackle this challenge.

2009-01-04 4:38 PM

User image

Upstate NY

Hello could I join your group too?

This will be my second year partipipating in triathonls and plan to do my first 1/2 ironman (Tupper lake) and want to do the IMLP in 2010.

I'll post more about myself when I get a chance, but wanted to get in because you have done many of the races I have done or plan to do.

2009-01-04 5:54 PM

New user

Upstate NY
Hi I would like to join your group. I am planning to do Tupper Lake this year and I have done some mini tris. I am 46yo female with a professional career and have bad knees. I did do the ironman lake placid 2008 but just finished with 9 min to spare. I don't think I will do it this year but would like to do it again. Found it stressful last year with all the training.
2009-01-04 6:00 PM

Trizee,

I would very much like to be a part of your mentor group.  A little bit about me...

I'm a total newcomer to triathalon.  I am a teacher also which means I'm on a budget.  I don't own a bike, but I have access to exercise bikes at my gym.  There is also a pool and a greenway close by.  I would rank my tri event strengths as follows: running (strongest), bike (ok), swimming (very poor).  Swimming will definately need the most work.  I have swam my entire life but never for fitness (lap swimming).

I can put in about 8-10 hours per week.  My wife and I have a newborn son.  I would really appreciate the chance to work with you and receive any advice and encouragement you might have for me.

ncredsox 

2009-01-04 6:17 PM

I'm sure this is a totally silly questions but...

In a beginner's swim workout a pull buoy is mentioned.  Can anyone tell me what that is?

Thanks,

ncredsox 

2009-01-04 6:42 PM

Hi Mike -

I am brand new to triathlons but I think I will like the diversity of training and the fun of the races.  I am a 58 yr old university administrator - so I need to get out of this chair and get moving!  I have participated in a boot camp program and loved it.  I like being challenged and being fit, but I have trouble making time for myself and my training if I don't have to meet a group.  I was a single parent and always put others first. 

I am hoping that you can get me started and work to keep me motivated.

Nancy

2009-01-04 7:52 PM

User image

Upstate NY
Subject: RE: Trizee's mentor group - CLOSED
Hi all:

I see we have filled up, so I've decided to close the group. So, you're all in (that's anyone who has posted prior to this post). Therefore, once again welcome.

I have to get ready to go back to work tomorrow (school) after 2 week vacation but I stopped in to enter my workout and see if our group was growing. Like I mentioned earlier I follow a 30-week program for IM and this ends week 1. IMLP is 30 weeks from today!

Anyways, Monday is my usual day off (from training). After school, and some end of year bookkeeping and bill paying at our practice, I hope to have time tomorrow (mon 1/5) to check in on our group.

There have been some questions posted already and I'll get to them, but EVERYONE please share any information or comments you may have. We have a couple of personal trainers in the group, I know I'll be hitting them up with some questions as we go along

To answer a couple of quick questions:
ncredsox - a pull buoy is a floatation device that you hold between your legs (knees) to keep your legs up and swim with just your arms. No kicking. It's a good device to use to mimic what a wet suit will do for you in the water. Wet suits are a WONDERFUL thing!!! With a wet suit on you do not have to kick very much.

Adrian - I'll try to give you some more information on this when I have more time tomorrow, but a wet suit is very buoyant and will aid greatly in open water swimming. All the races I have done wet suits are allowed. If it wasn't for a wet suit I'm not sure if I would have gotten into Tri's. Swimming, like I see with others in our group, is my weakest and least favorite area.

Off to get ready for school. Have a great day.
2009-01-05 4:29 AM

User image

Hi all, welcome to the group and Trizee, thanks for having me.  It's great to meet all of you and I look forward to sharing my experiences w/ everybody and hearing about yours through the season or as long as we're all with the group.  One of the coolest aspects, for me in my experience, has always been a really vibrant cool factor w/ the triathletes I've met and raced next to in my past.  I've talked to people quite a bit about triathlon over the years, and my constants have always been you get what you put into it, and the community (the people, you ;-)) is amazing... all people wanting to help and enjoying their journeys.

I'm headed out to a spinning class and I don't want to be late, but will post more later, I have some various questions and thoughts..  would love to get your perspective trizee (or anybody for that matter).  Happy Training!

/s

2009-01-05 6:06 AM

Good morning, everyone!  It's great to be a part of the group.  Trizee, thanks for the response about the pull buoy.  I'll see if my health club has any of those.

Like Trizee, I'm back to school after a two week break.  It's a bittersweet return to the classroom for me.  My wife and I had a son on Dec. 17th and up until now it's all been a blur.  I will miss hanging around with him but work calls.  I'm afraid a return to school may provide some needed rest...

Hope everyone has a good day and good luck in your training endeavors!

ncredsox 

2009-01-05 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1886249

User image

Congrats on the baby!  I have a few of those running around the house, so I know how hectic it can be.  Good luck staying on top of school, taking care of the baby, and fitting in all the workouts!  (surely you have no other life right?  ;-)).

2009-01-05 10:01 AM

User image

Upstate NY

I am 33 year old male from upstate New York.  I just started running last year as a way to maintain my weight. (had lost a bunch of weight and wanted to keep it off)  I ran my first 5K in April 2008 and the competitive side of me took over. (at least competing against myself)  It was great to finish and reach a goal, and I wanted to do better.

I work from home and it can get really hot up here in the summer.  Since my apartment complex had a pool I decided to use it as a way to cool off.  (might as well swim a bit too as some extra exercise

I saw that they were holding a sprint triathlon in my town and thought why not??  (I was already running, swimming and doing spin classes)  I did, reached my goal, and was very happy to finish it.  I spent the rest of the summer doing more running races and two longer triathlons.  (ended with the Lake George Tri)

I still can't believe that I signed up for a 1/2 ironman this year.  Last year I was would have been happy running 3 miles!  Glad to be part of this group. 

2009-01-05 7:57 PM

User image

Upstate NY
Hi gang:

I hope everyone's joining me in trying to work off the holiday goodies. Emery mentioned the training (and racing) will be a great mental battle. Boy is he ever right. You will have bad days, but you must fight through them. Everyone's has taken the first important step - setting a measurable, attainable goal. Now keep that in mind and keep working towards it. I've met and read about people who will put notes up around their house to remind them of their goals and keep them focused. Say IM was a goal, make a sign that says you will become an IRONMAN on ______ (the date of the race) and put it on your bathroom mirror, by your TV, on the fridge.

Make sure you are logging your workouts so you can see the progress your making. You need to have an off day each week, but if you are having trouble getting started use the 21-day method. If you do something for 21 straight days (cannot miss any) it will become a habit. I started this when I started some jogging and it got to the point after my 21 days that I would feel guilty if I didn't get a run in.

As you get started, build a base. Do not worry about speed or distance, go for time. Run and bike 3x's a week for 30 min. and swim 2x's a week for 30 min - 1 hour. Stay in Heart Rate Zone 2 (comfortable pace where you can still carry on a conversation). Gradually increase the time you put in by about 10% each week for 3 weeks than tapper back a week then increase again.

Jadubya my heart goes out to you and your family on the loss of your child. As you mentioned you have great motivation to accomplish your goals. You are living through the worst thing imaginable, the loss of a child, so it may not seem it at times but compared to that Tri's will be easy. I know! I lost a daughter in 1988 to neuroblastoma. She's with me in my races and keeps me going.

Nancy, you have every right to put yourself first for once. None of us are going to avoid our responsiblities around the house, to our spouse or kids and at work. Training does not have to be your whole life and time consuming, but you need to get your workouts in and be a little self-centered in doing so. The chores will get done, but get that bike ride in while the suns out and the weather is nice. NCREDSOX if you have 8-10 hours a week to put in to training you'll be fine. Just increase intensity as you proceed along.(Congrats on the baby)
Rob you did a great job in your first race with the Lake George Tri. Keep pushing yourself and you'll be excited as you see yourself improve.

Adrian had a question about wet suit swimming. I didn't look it up for any "official" time saving total using a wet suit as compared to swimming without one. But, I'm sure it can be found online or in a book (just didn't have time to research for you yet) But open water swimming in a wet suit compared to your pool swim you may see a time savings of about 25%. BUT, swimming in a lane in a pool is alot different then starting a race with 100-2000 people next to you. You'll be getting kicked, punched, swam over, swam under etc..plus you have to sight the buoys so you can stay fairly straight and on course. A wet suit is a great invention and it helps but taking all the stuff I just mentioned into consideration you may not realize a total 25% savings in time. By the same token, you also will not be working as hard either. The suit will help you stay on top of the water, helps saves your legs for the bike and run and gives a weak swimmer (like me) a tremoudous peace of mind.

Well enough rambling for tonight. Keep posting.
2009-01-06 3:12 AM

User image

Regular

Hi Guys,

Trizee, thanks for the info Laughing
My first concern was for the standard tri I am aiming for in June as it has a swim cutoff off 50mins for 1500m (1640yds). I will aim to do a mile in 50min in the pool and hopefully that should cover it.

The two events (standard and half) that I am planning are both fairly small, the standard had 70 finishers last year while the half had 150.

Now into week2 of the plan, only drawback is all my cycling has been on the gym bike as the roads are still too icey to bike outside , and I find gyms so boring !! (no offense to any gym go-ers, I just hate treadmiles with a passion !! lol )

I will wait until easter before getting a wetsuit, no rush till then.

train well

Adrian

2009-01-06 9:21 AM

User image

Thanks for the words of wisdom, all.  I'm trying to focus on just building a base right now like you said trizee.  My distances are slow and the times are shorter than I want, but in the past I think I've been too ambitious and just foregone moderation in exchange for longer distances, longer times, and overtraining - injury or exhaustion :/.  This morning was my first morning in a masters swim program...  I didn't even tri to do everything on the board, I'm just not there yet.  But I cut all the split distances in half and did that, ended up at about 1200 meters.

It felt absolutely fantastic getting out of the pool, but after my shower and getting ready for the day I was literally EXHAUSTED.  I think this was the culmination of too little sleep and no food before my workout, but I made a b-line to the closest Starbucks for a banana and a chicken sandwich.  Not the healthiest choice but needed to get something in me...

So, with a renewed interest in getting plenty of sleep, and recognizing that I probably need to put a little something in the tank BEFORE my workouts in the wee hours (something I've traditionally avoided), I'm headed to my run later this afternoon and another spinning class tomorrow morning.  Trizee, my workout schedule right now is 3x run, 3x bike, 3x swim per week.  Building distances slowly and focusing on establishing a base (in Zone 2) for now rather than getting into detailed workouts just yet.  Thanks all, looking forward to hearing about all your progress in your programs.

/sean

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Trizee's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 5