Other Resources Challenge Me! » Calling all Clydes Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-26 2:17 PM

Subject: Calling all Clydes
I am truely a clyesdale. I am 5'-10" and about 245lbs. I am new sorta to the whole tri thing. I started training back in July lost weight and then went back to my old ways and gained it all back. I do have excuses but I refuse to bore you with them because there just that excuses. I want to challenge all the beginner tris and clydes out there to improve there health. Not only for motivation for me but everyone out there. I have consulted people regarding my healthy weight and I should be somewhere around 190lbs. Since the tri-year has come to a close I am setting my goal weight for next year at 190. I am currently in the process of setting up my acoount so I can post my pics month to month. I must addmitt the only time I felt support was from people experienceing the same. Therefore I am issueing a challenge to all the clydes and beginner tris to share there month to month results. Wheather its losing weight achiecing goals or even posting monthly pics as I attend to even if there extremly embarassing. I was recently sitting in a doctors office with my dad who is diabetic and smokes. He was in there because they suspected lung cancer. My imediate reaction was anger. I yelled at him for not taking care of him self and gave him a lecture about smoking. He I am 31yrs old 55lbs overweight, my wife and I are expecting our firtst child lecturing someone about health. What a Hyporcrit I am!!!! That is my motivation for all of this for my son and my dad. I am not saying I won't have tough days and might fall off a bit. Everyone in here is so inspiring, but we always here from those who suceed. Lets have a place in here for those who struggle and are humbled to admitt. I envy and admire all of you who have this drive to tri.

2005-10-26 2:54 PM
in reply to: #272918

Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Subject: RE: Calling all Clydes
Don;t beat yourself up, Man.

In college, I played rugby and cycled regularly. I'm 6'3" and weighed ~225 (not ripped, but in damn good shape). After college I got married and slowly balloned up to ~280.

This summer, I started cycling again and in September started training for a tri. I'm not there yet, but like so much else in life, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Bill
2005-11-08 12:14 PM

I'm definately feeling you on this. I just started training for my first triathlon this week. I'm hoping to make an overall lifestyle change. I'm overweight (6'5", 260lbs) and I was a smoker. My goal is to drop to 230lbs and quit smoking entirely. If I don't start taking care of myself now, I may end up much like your father. I appreciate you sharing your story, its gives me an extra push to make this committment. I'll definately be posting updates on my progress and I'll be looking forward to hearing about your successes.
2005-11-11 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California

I can fully understand the plight that all of you are feeling.

3 years ago, I was 6'1" 305 lbs. 

Now 3 seasons into the tr thing I am sitting at 6'2" 230 (Don't ask how I grew, I think just better posture).  I will reach 210 pounds by Wildlfower May 06.  I have started training harder than ever for this season and have some lofty goals for times this year.  I can use the support, but I can also be supportive.  Because as clydes we know we aren't going to be racing at 140, so we need to stick together.

Jason

2005-11-12 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
rizzo,

I'm 6'3", 237. In May I started this tri thing at about 262, and I really want to get to 205. Having triathlon peformance goals has helped me, because all the training takes the weight off and also I know that I can't do what I want to do at this weight. I learned that pedaling up my first big hill.

This site can be a big help, there are so many people here in the same boat with the same goals and determination. Check out the training log feature, you can keep track of your progress, put your goals down in writing, and receive encouragement from other members. Also, check out the tri-ing for weight loss forum. They are wrapping up a weight loss challenge now and will probably start a new one right away. The people there are encouraging.

Good luck and stay with it.
2005-11-12 1:40 PM
in reply to: #283377

User image

Champion

Since there are so many of us in the same boat, I motion that we conduct a belly-flop contest off the bow of our boat. 

Seriously though, what James mentions is spot on.  When you enjoy this sport, the motivation comes from seeing yourself get better over time whether it is being easier to climb over that big hill in competition or watching your times fall in different events.

I started this journey at 6'3" and 320 pounds and my greatest reinforcement to date wasn't the "hey you look like you're losing weight" from my friends, it was hearing my name broadcast over the audience as I rode out of T1 on my first tri.  Going into my first off-season, I'm down to 255 and have set a goal to emerge for my first race stronger, faster, and leaner.

Different people lose weight for different reasons.  For some, it is to hold their New Year's resolution and shed the winter pounds by doing Atkins.  For those like us, it is more about living life better,  being generally more healthy, and having a whole lot of fun.  Losing weight is merely a by-product of our bigger goals.

One of the biggest assets to leverage of BT is to track your results in your training log.  Then, on those days when you seem to have lost your motivation, you'll be able to look back on your LT times or your weight from months ago and realize just how far you have come.

Shaun

2005-11-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: #283418

Thanks for the motivation Shaun. You've lost 65lbs since you started this, damn! Now that's an inspiration. Its great to hear people's success stories; it gives me some hope. I noticed one of your goals is the Comlumbia Oylmpic tri. I'm planning on going to Columbia as well for my first Olympic tri. If I can stick to this plan maybe I'll see you there. Thanks again for the encouragement and keep up the good work.
2005-11-13 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Hey, I started out at 5'9'' 195 pound college rugby player too, and white collar america has helped me get up to about 245 I am now 233 and dropping. My goal is about 180 and trim. I dont want the mucle bulk I had a one of the piggies in the pack! Why dont we start a weekly weigh in thread???
2005-11-13 9:14 PM
in reply to: #283819

User image

Champion

In the Tri-ing For Weightloss thread, we are about to start a new team weight loss challenge to get everyone through the holidays.  Go to the "Here's What I Think" thread and log your interest.

Shaun 

2005-11-27 3:22 AM

User image

Master
Michigan
I am 6'3 240 lbs. I will never have the wirey thin fram of the typical tri guy, nor do I want it. I come from a background of weightlifting and like to keep some muscle. Yeah it's harder on the joints but tri-ing a great personal challenge. If I got below 220 lbs. I would look sick.
2005-11-27 4:13 AM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
6'5" and currently 255 here and I am new to tri as well. I've been training maybe 2 months and have lost about 10 lbs thus far. I don't have a target weight but I do want to have a body fat of less than 10% and I hope to maintain that figure once attained for the duration of '06. Count me in on whatever the rest of you "clydes" wanna do.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Calling all Clydes Rss Feed