BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-04-02 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED!

NAME: Melissa/ mndymond 

STORY: I'm a third year medical student from Edmonton, AB, Canada. I started triathlon in 2008 after a 3 year hiatus from being a competitive swimmer in order to lose weight and now I am hooked. I have finished the Calgary 70.3 (2010) and IMLP this past summer and additionally have podiumed in a few sprint and olympic distance triathlons over the past year. FAMILY

CURRENT TRAINING: Trained for a IM in 2011, avg 12-14 hrs weekly. Currently getting what I can in with my rotations at about 4-6hrs. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Pigman Sprint (2nd), IMLP--14:02:37, Subaru Banff Oly (2nd) 2012 RACES:  Hollywood Half Marathon, Calgary 70.3 or Boulder 70.3 and a few other HM/sprints/oly.

WEIGHTLOSS: since I am unable to train as much as I think I should, definitely need to hone in on my diet/nutrition. I'll be using myfitnesspal.com for the upcoming weeks to see how that goes. All total I would like to lose between 10-20lbs before Xmas time (will be the start of IM France Nice training!)   

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Been involved on the BT forums for a few years. I have been a mentor in the past including the Jan-Mar mentor groups. I think it will be awesome to have a duel mentor team to help cover for one another when either of us gets busy. Neal and I both bring different things to the table from our previous sport histories and from triathlon and associated sports. I will do my best to answer everyone's questions and check in on a regular basis. Welcome to BT everyone and let's have fun and get 'er done! Welcome to all previous group members and new members!

Edited by mndymond 2012-04-05 11:09 PM

2012-04-02 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4124591

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group---Phase 2...Open for business!
Okay, I am mentor #2
NAME:
disturbed275/ Neal
STORY: Several years ago I took up running to lose weight.  I eventually moved into triathlon in 2008 for a new challenge.  I have since completed many races of each distance, including 2 ironmans
FAMILY STATUS: Single 
CURRENT TRAINING: 2012 is going to be a very run focused year for me.  After doing ironman in back to back seasons I'm a little burned out on long distance training so instead will try to qualify for Boston at the Chicago Marathon
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Still waiting to race this year.  Last race was the Marine Corps Marathon in October
2012 RACES:  I have several half marathons on the schedule, a handful of sprint tris, and the Chicago Marathon
WEIGHTLOSS: I've dropped 20 pounds of unwanted off season weight since the first of the year.  Looking to drop another 5-10 before Chicago 
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been mentoring now for the past two or three years and it's always been a good experience.  there's a bit of a learning curve getting into the sport so I know it's important to get some guidance.  Plus, after all these years, I still manage to learn stuff from these groups so I'll keep coming back to give a hand.
2012-04-04 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group---Phase 2...Open for business!
Welcome everyone! There are about 6-7 people returning from the winter group! So we are looking for 6-7 new people to join in! Please add a short bio like the two above so we can all get to know one another!
2012-04-04 9:26 AM

User image

Hi! I am a complete newbie, wondering if you'd be willing to help me out! 

Name: Christine

Story: I am a 28 year old music teacher in Pennsylvania. I have signed up for a sprint tri in August. This will be my first event like this, I've just done some 5k's before.

Status: Happily married, 4 years. 2 awesome dogs. A cat. Kids in the next year or so?

Current Training: Like I said, I am new to this so I am quite open to learning what exactly my training schedule should look like. I started some strength training and cardio 3x a week about a month ago, and now I want to get going with a consistent plan for this event. My favorite, and most comfortable part is the biking. I can't start swimming until the end of May, when the community pool is open. That will be my toughest area. Right now I can tread water, WOO HOO!  My husband  used to work as a lifeguard, so he will be able to help me with some basics. Until then I am going to alternate running and biking daily, with a few hikes and regular strength training thrown in as well. My school year/teaching ends in late May, and I will only be working 2-3 days a week this summer, so I will have a decent amount of time to train.

This Year's Races: A local sprint triathlon in August. I am also going to sign up for some 5k's between now and then to keep some motivation going for the run

Weightloss: Weight loss is definitely a part of my motivation. I'd like to lose about 15 pounds by August.

What will make me a good mentee: I'm open to any and all feedback!

2012-04-04 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Welcome Christine! Nice to have you in the group.
2012-04-04 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Hello,

Do you have room for another?  I've been training now since September of '11.  Still relatively new to sport of tri with a running background.  I have a few races coming up and could use the accountability/advice/mentorship.

Thanks

Kevin

2012-04-04 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Welcome Kevin.
2012-04-04 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

NAME: Thor/thor67 

STORYkay here is my story. Joined a 6 week weight loss challenge with family and friends in May of 2009...won that but decided to keep going. Started near 300lbs,  dropped around 90lbs. Needed something to stay motivated so I entered a sprint triathlon in June of 2010. Liked it so much I did 1 more sprint and 2 olympics. I plan on doing at least 2 of the same races as i want to use that as a measuring stick. I completed my first ever 1/2 marathon in February. I am trying to get myself to like running with not much success...

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids, boy 9, girl 4.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently trying for min. 2 swim/2bike/2run. Goal is to be at 3/3/3 by last week of April.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Sylvan Lake sprint(May), Heart of the Rockies Oly(Invermere, BC), Miquelon Lake Oly, Lacombe sprint.

WEIGHTLOSS: Would like to be down to 190 (i am 6', about 215 currently)by mid July for Heart of the rockies. Hopefully the extra training should take care of those extra pounds!

My best sport would be swim, then a toss up between bike and run. I hope the 1/2 mary training and the purchase of a cycle trainer has helped both of them.

Oh yeah, and I love all kinds of beer...a bit of a weakness some may say!

Edited by thor67 2012-04-04 11:47 AM
2012-04-04 11:52 AM

User image

Champion
Hey Thor! Where in AB are you from? Lacombe?
2012-04-04 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4129751

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

mndymond - 2012-04-04 10:52 AM Hey Thor! Where in AB are you from? Lacombe?

Originally Red Deer, now Leduc.

2012-04-04 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

NAME: Kevin

STORY: I was a hs/colegiate wrestler.  I used to run to help with weight cut.  I ran a 1/2 mary in 1:46 in '96 for college team.  I got tendinitis in left heal, and it took years to get rid of.  Fast forward 15 years.  I've run 4 marathons.  I was motivated watching Terra Costa and others on Biggest Loser show complete marathon.  PB is 3:35. 

FAMILY STATUS: married w/ 2 daughters, 6 and 2.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently in Last month of training before taper for May 19th marathon.  My 5th.  Hoping to go under 3:30 this time.  Also, I started HIM in Feb. training for August 6th Troika HIM. I'm using the free HIM plan on this site while trying to adapt it to fit marathon training.

2012 plans: Besides my two A races, marathon and HIM, I am running a 25k trail run at end of April.  12k first week of May.  I will probably do a Sprint Tri in June/July for some experience before HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I started this year at a chunky 203.  Now down to 185.  Hoping to get down to 165 by August.  I too enjoy an adult style beverage a little too often, and this hampers weight loss.Smile

2012-04-04 12:41 PM

User image

Expert

Hi All:

I will post more later when I get home from work - but I would like to reserve a spot in the group.  Looking forward to supporting y'all in the weeks to come.

2012-04-04 1:15 PM

New user
Can I join too? I can post my bio later.
2012-04-04 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4129988

User image

Champion
exercisegirl6 - 2012-04-04 12:15 PMCan I join too? I can post my bio later.
Yup welcome to the group!
2012-04-04 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4129908

User image

Champion
Qua17 - 2012-04-04 11:41 AM

Hi All:

I will post more later when I get home from work - but I would like to reserve a spot in the group.  Looking forward to supporting y'all in the weeks to come.

Welcome!
2012-04-04 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran

NAME: Christie 

STORY: I'm a 40 year old mother of three daughters (9, 12, 15 soon to all move up a year). I work full time as a mental health therapist and I am a clinical social worker by profession. I've been running for about 7 years started the triathlon thing last year. I have completed one super sprint race last summer and I came in second last! Not last! (In my defence there were only 7 people in my event). 

FAMILY STATUS: Married 19 years 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm trying to increase my training right now and I'd like to get to around 7 hours a week consistently over the next while. I am pretty weak in all threes sports, and in sports in general. I never exercised at all, and I mean AT ALL, until I was 34 so I figure I'm doing pretty well with what I've got. I have some chronic health issues that impact my training and my racing as I cannot tolerate exercise intensity past a certain (lower than I'd like) level. Yes, I know this sounds like an excuse, but it is what it is. I've been working on trying to accept that I can likely never improve to the level I feel I "should" be able to and instead focus on just enjoying the process of participating in events. I am finding I'm getting surprisingly better at that! 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Undecided. But there's a local sprint in August that I'd like to muster up the courage to try.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5'3" and about 127 right now. Last summer I was down to 119 and that took a lot of work! I would like to get there again but really I feel pretty content at being anything under 125. So some work to do on that regard.

2012-04-04 3:49 PM

New user

Edmonton

Name: Punker/David

Story: I live in Edmonton and this seems to be the Alberta group, so I'd like to join.

I ran track and played basketball in school, but that was 20 years ago; I've spent most of the subsequent time behind a desk and getting out of shape because I had trouble motivating myself to go sit in a gym. I'm one of those "exercise is boring, but competition is fun" types, and haven't been able to find a good outlet. I'm pretty tall (6-4) so I was able to pretend that the weight gain wasn't too bad for a long time, but once the number on the scale started getting close to starting with 3, it was time to get serious and stop this.

When I was a kid, I watched the Iron Man with my dad and loved it; I always wanted to try one, and about a month and a half ago, I made up my mind to do it. I found a Sprint triathlon in about 3 months which seems like a tough but doable challenge and decided to do it, forgetting that I hadn't ridden a bike in at least 15 years, and had never swum more than 100m straight, while fantasizing about my teenage years of running 10K road races.

Family status: Married with a 6 year old son

Current training: When I made the decision, I decided I'd better work on swimming first since it's what I've done the least. I started going to the pool most days and can now do the 750m in about 22 minutes.

The bike has proved to be a disaster; first I had to get one, and at present I can barely do 10k without being completely dead.

The run is tough but I can feel it's not too bad; I can traverse 5K with about a 70-30 run-walk right now.

Each day, I go out and do one (eg, Monday I did bike, Tuesday I did run, today I did swim), with the goal (for now) of just finishing the required distance, no matter how slowly. I'm struggling hugely with the mental part of just "I'm tired, maybe I should just stop here"; I feel like my body is less the problem.

Race planned: Lake Summerside Sprint Triathlon (June 24)

Weight loss: I literally could stand to lose 75-80 pounds.

Edited by Punker 2012-04-04 4:09 PM
2012-04-04 3:54 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta

Hi Everyone!

I'd like to join again if there is room! Nice to see another Canadian in the bunch 

my story:

NAME: Tera

STORY: I work full time and have been racing triathlons since 2009 after I had my daughter to stay busy while on maternity leave. This year I decided before we have a second child I would train for my goal of Ironman! I live in a small town just outside Calgary, Alberta. I have completed 1 marathon, 2 half marathons, and numerous sprints,5k's, 10k's races.

STATUS: Married 3 years, One daughter 2 &1/2 Years old going on 16 some days I think!!

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for Ironman Penticton

THIS YEAR'S RACES: CPS half marathon- april, Coronation sprint- May, Wasa Olympic- June, Great White north half ironman-July, Ironman Penticton- August!!

WEIGHTLOSS: at this point i'm at a happy weight, now just trying to tweak my nutrition for optimal training!

2012-04-04 4:15 PM

New user

Alright here is my bio. I am in BC so I hope I am still aloud in here

Name: Lisa

Story: I decided to take up running in 2010 after I had my second child. At the time I was looking for some sort of identity other then being a mother. It worked! Since then I have completed 3 half marathons and a handful of 5km and 10km runs. Last year, after trying to improve my running times I ended up with a couple of overuse injuries (nothing serious) from running too much, too fast. I had to take a couple months off of running so I picked up swimming instead. After learning to swim I figured my next step was triathlon.

Current training: Training for my first sprint tri in June and an Olympic in September with a couple 5 or 10kms in the middle. My official plan begins April 21st.

Weightloss: Would love to lose a few pounds but that is on the back burner for now.

2012-04-04 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4130445

User image

Champion
Punker - 2012-04-04 2:49 PM

Story: I live in Edmonton and this seems to be the Alberta group, so I'd like to join.

I ran track and played basketball in school, but that was 20 years ago; I've spent most of the subsequent time behind a desk and getting out of shape because I had trouble motivating myself to go sit in a gym. I'm one of those "exercise is boring, but competition is fun" types, and haven't been able to find a good outlet. I'm pretty tall (6-4) so I was able to pretend that the weight gain wasn't too bad for a long time, but once the number on the scale started getting close to starting with 3, it was time to get serious and stop this.

When I was a kid, I watched the Iron Man with my dad and loved it; I always wanted to try one, and about a month and a half ago, I made up my mind to do it. I found a Sprint triathlon in about 3 months which seems like a tough but doable challenge and decided to do it, forgetting that I hadn't ridden a bike in at least 15 years, and had never swum more than 100m straight, while fantasizing about my teenage years of running 10K road races.

Current training: When I made the decision, I decided I'd better work on swimming first since it's what I've done the least. I started going to the pool most days and can now do the 750m in about 22 minutes.

The bike has proved to be a disaster; first I had to get one, and at present I can barely do 10k without being completely dead.

The run is tough but I can feel it's not too bad; I can traverse 5K with about a 70-30 run-walk right now.

Each day, I go out and do one (eg, Monday I did bike, Tuesday I did run, today I did swim), with the goal (for now) of just finishing the required distance, no matter how slowly. I'm struggling hugely with the mental part of just "I'm tired, maybe I should just stop here"; I feel like my body is less the problem.

Hey David! Welcome. Man...where were all you Albertans a few years ago? I swear I was the only one for YEARS....or it seemed that way...
2012-04-04 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4130445

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Just my 2 cents but I would plan my first triathlon to be a pool swim.

A)Apparently Lake summerside is just a tad warmer then a ice cube. You will need a wetsuit and you will probably still come out numb.

B)It can be very intimidating swimming in a lake during a mass start.

I know there is one in Devon mid july or one in Westlock early june, both pool swims...

Good luck on the weight loss, once you get there you will wish you had done it long ago, I know I did!

2012-04-04 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4130576

User image

Champion
thor67 - 2012-04-04 3:53 PM

Just my 2 cents but I would plan my first triathlon to be a pool swim.

A)Apparently Lake summerside is just a tad warmer then a ice cube. You will need a wetsuit and you will probably still come out numb.

B)It can be very intimidating swimming in a lake during a mass start.

I know there is one in Devon mid july or one in Westlock early june, both pool swims...

Good luck on the weight loss, once you get there you will wish you had done it long ago, I know I did!

I did Summerside last year. I don't actually remember the water temp being that bad. It will be cool for sure since it is a June OWS but I remember the actual weather last year being more of a problem with the wind out on the bike. It is a good race though and Trevor puts on a solid event. The run is a nice lap course with 4 2.5km laps so tons of opportunity to see your family/friends while out on the run. I might do it this year if my call schedule cooperates. I wouldn't discourage you from doing an OWS as your first tri, many people in different areas don't have much of a choice. Just play it smart on race day and don't put yourself smack dab in the middle of the pack! Haha. Let the pack go and then make your start. I think I wrote up a race report for Summerside last year. I'll try to find the link...
2012-04-04 5:26 PM

User image

Champion
Nope. My bad. Didn't write up a race report for that one...haha. If you have questions specific to te event, just let me know and I can tell you!
2012-04-04 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4130501

User image

Champion
exercisegirl6 - 2012-04-04 3:15 PM

Alright here is my bio. I am in BC so I hope I am still aloud in here

Name: Lisa

Story: I decided to take up running in 2010 after I had my second child. At the time I was looking for some sort of identity other then being a mother. It worked! Since then I have completed 3 half marathons and a handful of 5km and 10km runs. Last year, after trying to improve my running times I ended up with a couple of overuse injuries (nothing serious) from running too much, too fast. I had to take a couple months off of running so I picked up swimming instead. After learning to swim I figured my next step was triathlon.

Current training: Training for my first sprint tri in June and an Olympic in September with a couple 5 or 10kms in the middle. My official plan begins April 21st.

Weightloss: Would love to lose a few pounds but that is on the back burner for now.

Which events are you doing Lisa? I lived in Victoria for a summer two years ago and in Vancouver last summer so I did a few of the events out there.
2012-04-04 6:54 PM

User image

Thank you in advance for all of you being patient with my newbie-ness!

Today I went ahead and registered for a 5K each month in April, May, and June, and a 5-miler in July. I saw (online) all of these awesome events I could do (I'm quite interested in the long trail running/hiking events, as well as the adventure-type triathlons with canoeing/kayaking) and it made me excited to think I could get there someday. I mean... that I WILL get there someday!

Punker, right now I have a similar approach to yours (just do the distance!), minus the swim until the pools open. That is really going to be an issue for me, since I've never been a swimmer - but until then I'm just going to work on improving on the bike and feet. Mentors, do you think this an ok approach for now? I am off for Easter break until Tuesday, so the plan for tomorrow morning is to ride my bike to a trail, hike the trail, and ride back. It will wind up being about 16 miles on the bike and 2 or so on the trail. I think this route will be a good one for me to do fairly regularly. I'm not going to worry about my time tomorrow, except to measure it for marking progress.

I don't live in Canada, but both of my grandparents are from Quebec, so maybe I can still be a cool kid here? Laughing

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 45