General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Autumn Colors Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-15 9:53 AM

Subject: Autumn Colors

Hi all.  I'm new to the forum.  Anybody doing Autumn Colors this weekend?  I think it is officially the last Tri in Michigan for the season.  AND...it looks like the weather might cooperate.

On another note, has anybody done this race in the past?  How is the course?  The website describes it as hilly and fast.  Oxymoron?  Looking at past times it seems to be hilly and slow.

Thanks.

2008-09-15 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1674400

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: RE: Autumn Colors

I've never raced it, but I've been out there plenty.  The roads are hilly.  I'm not sure of the exact race course, I'll check it out and check back in.  You don't have real long climbs, but they are fairly steep.

The water should be nice, but again, I don't know the swim course.

Let me look at the routes and I'll comment again.

Are you local to the area?

Oh yeah, welcome!  MI BT is active and friendly. 

2008-09-15 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

That is a nice bike ride.  Its the full loop from Herron Beach out to the back of the park and back.  Scenic, rolling the whole time, and it can be fast if you carry your speed from each descent into the next climb.  They aren't very long climbs, so you can cook through there.  Also, there are some nice sweep curves that are fun.  Most likely, the turn around may require some care.  I remember coming into that parking lot with a lot of speed and getting a little squirrely.

The run is a nice mtb/run trail.  I haven't been on the full loop this year, but ran a couple miles of it.  Its nice.  Not too tight, IIRC.  

Herron Beach could be set up lots of ways for the swim.  Most likely, there may be a band of weeds just outside the bouyed swim area, just before the water goes deep.  It wasn't real heavy plants, last time I was out there.  Just light, grassy stuff.

Good Luck this weekend. 

2008-09-15 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1674471

Great, thanks for your reply - and especially for the relatively detailed info.

And yes, I am local.  My wife and I live in Royal Oak and started racing last year.  We mostly do sprints, but try to get in as many races as possible:  11 this year for her (18 total) and 8 this year for me (13 total).  

This would probably deserve it's own thread, but any suggestions for swimming in the off season?  We are hoping to get in with a local masters swim team, but are finding it difficult to find any groups close by.

2008-09-15 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1674491

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
RumbleBee - 2008-09-15 11:27 AM

And yes, I am local. My wife and I live in Royal Oak and started racing last year. We mostly do sprints, but try to get in as many races as possible: 11 this year for her (18 total) and 8 this year for me (13 total).

This would probably deserve it's own thread, but any suggestions for swimming in the off season? We are hoping to get in with a local masters swim team, but are finding it difficult to find any groups close by.

Although I've never swam with them, the FAST group is quite popular.   Our club tried a quasi-master group, but it didn't work out.

Dang!  You two do a lot of races.  Do you race with a club or on your own? 

2008-09-15 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1674491

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
RumbleBee - 2008-09-15 11:27 AM

And yes, I am local.  My wife and I live in Royal Oak and started racing last year.  We mostly do sprints, but try to get in as many races as possible:  11 this year for her (18 total) and 8 this year for me (13 total).  

This would probably deserve it's own thread, but any suggestions for swimming in the off season?  We are hoping to get in with a local masters swim team, but are finding it difficult to find any groups close by.

Welcome to the forum!  I swim with a masters group at Lifetime Fitness in Troy.  It would be good for off season training and meets on Mondays and Wednesday evenings. 

2008-09-15 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1674560

Although I've never swam with them, the FAST group is quite popular.   Our club tried a quasi-master group, but it didn't work out.

Dang!  You two do a lot of races.  Do you race with a club or on your own? 

Thanks for the tip.  We have looked into them, but they really don't work for weekends.  They do look like the premier swimming group in the area.  Oh yeah, and they put on a great race - Island Lake of Novi - love it.

Yeah, we do race a lot, but we love it and gives us our "fix" for competition (both former college athletes).  As of now we do it all on our own.  Would love to join a team, but everything we have found is inconvenient for us - too far east or too far west.

Why isn't there a team in Royal Oak?

****Now that I read that, I feel like I'm complaining...

2008-09-15 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1674591

Welcome to the forum!  I swim with a masters group at Lifetime Fitness in Troy.  It would be good for off season training and meets on Mondays and Wednesday evenings. 

Thank you!  Do you have any info re: the masters team out of Lifetime?  That could be great for us.  What times?  Name of group?  Contact info?  Does it incorporate "coaching"?  What "events" do they participate in (any meets?)?

2008-09-15 1:09 PM

User image

Ferndale, MI
HI,

I swim at Royal Oak Middle School during the winter (lap swimming on Tues and Thurs @ 8) and there is a Master's group that uses the same pool at the same time. Don't know what they are called, but you could always drop by and check out the open swim and ask whoever is in charge.

It's $4 per session.
2008-09-15 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1675024

rasher76 - 2008-09-15 2:09 PM HI, I swim at Royal Oak Middle School during the winter (lap swimming on Tues and Thurs @ 8) and there is a Master's group that uses the same pool at the same time. Don't know what they are called, but you could always drop by and check out the open swim and ask whoever is in charge. It's $4 per session.

Great - thanks for the info.  I also found online that Berkley High School appears to have open swim Mon and Wed 6-9 and Saturday 9-12...  I think the same cost too.

2008-09-15 5:48 PM

Yea I have been planning for months on this one......Then the wife's side of the family screwed my plans.  They are all at my house this weekend.  I said I would go by myslef and no one would even miss me.

IT's one of those married comprimise things.

Joe

2008-09-18 7:47 AM

I will be there...Doing the Du......
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Autumn Colors Rss Feed