General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tom Sawyer Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-26 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Tom Sawyer Sprint Triathlon

I am looking for any bit of advice from anyone who has competed in this event.  This will be my first Triathlon of any type and I am just nervous about the entire thing.  I have no idea what to expect what the bike routes are and where to get this information.

Thanks in advance.

2009-05-26 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2173968

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Tom Sawyer Sprint Triathlon
I did the Tom Sawyer Tri last year and had a good time. I am doing again this year.  The bike ride is 14 mile out and back from the main parking lot, through Anchorage, up to Chamberlain Lane and turning in front of the Ford plant.  It's pretty flat, but with a couple of rollers.  The run is all on Frey's Hill Rd. and the park fitness trail, pretty flat.  I haven't been able to find a map.  If you wish, I can write out the route for you.
2009-05-27 8:37 AM

User image

I too am planning on this being my first tri.  I found this map in the Routes here on BT, I assume it's accurate:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=62007
2009-05-27 9:18 AM

User image

Expert

Great! thanks.  That is exactly what I was looking for.  I will go ride it this weekend sometime. 

I am also trying to figure out where to sign up.  There is no link on the Tom Sawyer web site.  My brother is coming in town from Atlanta to make this his first event as well and I need to pass this on to him.

Being that this is your first as well, what motivated you to do this?  Where are you training at? 

2009-05-27 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2175226

User image

I called the Recreation Department at Tom Sawyer Park and asked about registration.  She said there would be a link available soon.  But get this (to your original question)....the reason for the delay is that they are still finalizing the bike course.  Apparently there were speed bumps installed throughout Anchorage, so the route will be different this year.

To answer your question, I guess I'm motivated by the race-day feeling (I've done other non-tri events in the past) and the desire to stay in shape.  If I don't have a goal, I find it hard to stay motivated to work out as much as I should.  I started training for tris about 3 years ago but was derailed by knee problems.  Hopefully this time I can avoid them!

I live in the East End of Louisville, so do most of my training there.  How about you?
2009-05-27 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
The bike coarse is accurate.

I registered last year in the office on the second floor of the main building (in front of the pool).  I think you can do it by mail too.  Registration is from May 26- July 11.  Call 429-7270 for the rec. office and they can give you information and possibly mail you a form.

2009-05-27 2:47 PM

User image

Expert

Thanks again...I talked to them at Tom Sawyer just prior to noon today and they told me the same thing.  Registration will be available sometime next week after they finalize the course.  I had forgotten about those newly installed speed bumps in Anchorage, however, I am on a mountain bike this year so I say keep it the same.  Perhaps it will give me a slight advantage.

I am training mostly at the Northeast Y and also Tom Sawyer.  I honestly have no idea what I am doing.  This plan came into effect after watching an episode of Biggest Loser.  They ran a Marathon on the 17th week of that show and I thought...holy cow, if they can do a marathon in 17 weeks surely I can prep for a sprint in 16.

I had been working out but no real plan or anything just kind of going through the motions.  Having that carrot out there has got me really motivated and I am pushing harder than ever before.  Additionally I have always wanted to do one and since I have dropped about 90 lbs in the last year plus I figured what the heck.  I still have about 25 lbs to go to get to goal but this last push should at least get me close to that.

Anyway, working on my swimming mostly and since I do not have a good road bike so I am taking a spinning class 2 times per week for now to get ready.  I know I will not be competitive or anything but I figure this is my first and I really am only racing myself this time out.  Maybe next year I can look to be compete in my age group.

2009-06-18 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
I received my registration in the mail yesterday.  The course description says, "the 14 mile BIKE course is out and back with some large hills, several speed humps, and several turns."  I haven't seen, but it sounds like the course has not been changed.  I like the description's speed hump addition.  When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!
2009-06-19 7:54 AM

User image

Expert

I printed mine out to send in this week.  I spoke with them on the phone regarding the course and it sounds like it is the same.  They were looking into moving it out onto Westport Rd. and looping around there somewhere but the cost was going to be very high to shut down Westport on a Saturday.  I am not even sure that is possible...

2009-07-24 1:20 PM

User image

Taylorsville, KY
Has anyone made a run on the course with speed bumps, that also ran it last year?  I would like to know how much it added to your time.

Edited by cgchandler 2009-07-24 1:21 PM
2009-07-24 3:53 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
I have ridden over the coarse this year, but haven't timed it. There are quite a few speed bumps. I have been coming out of the saddle and peddling over them without problem or really having to slow down. I don't know if this is the best idea, but so far so good.

2009-07-27 9:56 AM

User image

New user

Louisville, KY
I did the Tom Sawyer last year and it was lots of fun. I won't be able to compete this year because I will be out of town. I heard the the newly installed speed bumps are going to make for a slower bike leg. I haven't seen them, but speed bumps are NEVER a good thing when trying to ride fast. I would recommend at least driving the bike course so that you know where they are and aren't surprised...it's hard to finish the race on a bent rim!
2009-07-27 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2309879

User image

I rode the course this past weekend.  Speed bumps shouldn't be too much of a factor, they are the longer ones with gradual inclines so don't require much - if any - slowing down.  After the rain on Saturday there was a lot of debris on the road (sticks, rocks, etc), that was a much bigger problem but I assume they will be cleaned up by race day.
2009-07-28 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
I just did one in Nasvhille on Sunday, so not doing this one, but will be out there cheering you on.  Will be wearing my red music city tri t-shirt.  If you see me, come say hi.  Good luck to all of you doing this one!!
2009-08-14 9:26 AM

User image

For those interested, results and photos have been posted here:

http://www.headfirstperformance.com/
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tom Sawyer Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed