Other Resources The Political Joe » A southern thang Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-11 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: A southern thang
My son who is interning at a law firm in Philly was told by one of the senior guys to stop calling him “sir”. He said it was a southern thing and he had military parents. My daddy said sir and ma’am to his seniors till the day he died. I do the same. It’s a southern thing. ??.

2018-07-11 4:46 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: A southern thang

I say sir and ma'am to everyone.....so do my children.  They never had a choice and now it's just something they do.  I never had a problem if someone told them they didn't need to.....but they'd stand there until they got it right otherwise.

My dad demanded we address him and my mom the same way when I was a kid.  I didn't start that with my own kids.....but when they know I'm mad they still do it. LOL

And yes, people are just more polite in the South.

2018-07-12 12:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Completely untrue. I live mins outside Philadelphia. I say sir regularily. Lots of people do around here. I just joined a country club last year after a decade or so from dropping a membership. It’s annoyed the hell out of me that I can’t get them to stop calling me sir or Mr Leddy.

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2018-07-12 12:37 PM
2018-07-12 12:40 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Completely untrue. I live mins outside Philadelphia. I say sir regularity. Lots of people do around here. I just joined a country club last year after a decade or so from dropping a membership. It’s annoyed the hell out of me that I can’t get them to stop calling me sir or Mr Leddy.

Yeah, someone calls me Mr Rogillio and I turn around looking for my dad. I work with a lot of military officers. I am a civilian and we are not required to follow military protocol nevertheless, being former military myself, I just can't bring myself to call an O-5 or O-6 by their first name! Especially since I was only an O-2.
2018-07-12 12:41 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Completely untrue. I live mins outside Philadelphia. I say sir regularily. Lots of people do around here. I just joined a country club last year after a decade or so from dropping a membership. It’s annoyed the hell out of me that I can’t get them to stop calling me sir or Mr Leddy.

I have found it to be completely true.  I have spent a lot of time in the South with all of the fishing I do. My brother lives in New York now, after Chicago, and my sister lives in Baltimore.  There is NO WAY the people up there are as polite as the folks in the South.......NONE.

It's good to hear your story about Philly.....that city always gets a bad rap, and I've not found people there to be any worse then the rest of the yankees.

2018-07-12 12:43 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

To prove my point tell your son to relay the following message. “When my dad asked if this was a southern thing a gentleman also from Philadelphia said to reply the following. Manners are universal....not regional and you sir are an idiot for thinking otherwise. “Which firm Morgan Lewis , Dechert or Pepper Hamilton ?

2018-07-12 12:48 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Completely untrue. I live mins outside Philadelphia. I say sir regularily. Lots of people do around here. I just joined a country club last year after a decade or so from dropping a membership. It’s annoyed the hell out of me that I can’t get them to stop calling me sir or Mr Leddy.

I have found it to be completely true.  I have spent a lot of time in the South with all of the fishing I do. My brother lives in New York now, after Chicago, and my sister lives in Baltimore.  There is NO WAY the people up there are as polite as the folks in the South.......NONE.

It's good to hear your story about Philly.....that city always gets a bad rap, and I've not found people there to be any worse then the rest of the yankees.

I completely agree. My point however is people still do say sir, thank you and such. Point in case. I took my 9 year old to WaWa last night to get a hoagie. (Have fun with both of those) walking out my son opened the first set of doors for me and when I turned after opening the second set I saw him holding the door for the lady behind him. She said thank you sir to him and as she walked by me nodded her head and said thank you , it’s always a pleasure to be around gentleman. So not nearly the same level of the south and definitely not in the same volume but manners do exist in the North. Except Boston, they’re savages !
2018-07-12 12:57 PM

User image

Oh and I feel kind of triggered being called a yankee. Even though we won and all. I’m getting to work on my signs
2018-07-12 12:57 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano
Originally posted by Left Brain

I completely agree. My point however is people still do say sir, thank you and such. Point in case. I took my 9 year old to WaWa last night to get a hoagie. (Have fun with both of those) walking out my son opened the first set of doors for me and when I turned after opening the second set I saw him holding the door for the lady behind him. She said thank you sir to him and as she walked by me nodded her head and said thank you , it’s always a pleasure to be around gentleman. So not nearly the same level of the south and definitely not in the same volume but manners do exist in the North. Except Boston, they’re savages !

Everything in that story, except your kid's good manners, hurts my head. LOL

2018-07-12 1:10 PM

User image

It wasn’t the story. You pulled your hair to tight again.
2018-07-12 1:13 PM

User image

Pro

No, no, no......you can't use WaWa, Hoagie, and Boston in a single paragraph.  Our language just isn't set up for that.  If you would have mentioned Canada the board would have exploded, that's how close it was.

2018-07-12 1:21 PM

User image

Good thing I didn’t mention scrapple.
2018-07-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Edited by Left Brain 2018-07-12 1:25 PM
2018-07-12 1:25 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Good thing I didn’t mention scrapple.

Dammit boy! 

2018-07-12 1:39 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Certainly there are polite people everywhere just as there are rude people everywhere. When I was 10 years old I moved from FL to LA to live with my dad. My 5th grade English teacher asked me if I had done my homework. I said, "Yeah." She call me to the front of the room, told me to turn around and WHACK! hit me with a paddle! I asked what that was for and she said, "You will address me respectfully." She asked again, "Now once again, did you do your homework?" I said very clearly, "Yes, I did my homework." And WHACK! She hit me again! I told her I did not know what I was supposed to say and she said, "You will respond with "yes ma'am" or "no ma'am"!" I said "Yes ma'am!" I thought I had moved some into some nightmare school where they abuse children. In FL they did not require "sir and ma'am" nor did they paddle students. I would go on to get paddled a few times a week....but at that age, I was a 'tough guy' and a whack with a board, while it might sting a little, did not hurt.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » A southern thang Rss Feed