Australian Triathlon Forum Western Australia » Which Triathlons are you doing this season? Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-30 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth
Subject: Which Triathlons are you doing this season?
I'm not sure which ones I will tackle as a lead up to the Half Ironman. Does anyone have any suggestions. I've put my self down for the ITU World Championships in Perth (Sprint Distance) to kick off the season. 

Cheers,

Jeff 

2009-08-31 3:40 AM
in reply to: #2378646

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Which Triathlons are you doing this season?
Hi Jeff

I'm waiting impatiently for TWA to get this year's calender finalised so I can decide what to do.  Will start with the Pink as it was so much fun last year and also the other women's events.  Rockingham is a must as I missed it last year when I injured my back.  I'll be in the cheer squad for the Stadium Tri Club's elite folk at the ITUs so will look out for you.  Magda might be the best person to give you advice - she did quite a few sprints and an Oly in her run up to the Half and was awesome in Busselton.    
2009-09-07 3:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Hey guys

Still not sure what I'm doing..... aiming for Busso next year, but will do a few sprints, BRW and an Oly hopefully before then.  Oh, and I'm thinking about Rotto swim as well with a work team......!!

Whatever you do, enjoy!
Nigel
2009-09-07 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Have just booked accomadation for the Karri Valley Tri in February so I guess I'm doing that one too!  I've read some race reports by Splerph, any one else done it?
2009-09-09 11:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth
Is the Karri Valley one a XC bike ride?
2009-09-10 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
I wish, I shipped my beloved Rockhopper from Scotland where I used to love blasting through the forests but it hasn't had much off-road use here and is probably really insulted that it's spent the last few years with a baby carrier on the back.  The cycle is on the Vasse highway - here's the course description

http://www.stadiumtriclub.com/kvt/course.html

2009-09-17 4:34 AM

User image

Perth, WA
I am sticking to the State Sprint Series, lots of good long course events, a good lead up to Busso.
2009-10-10 4:06 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Ha ha ha I am in training for childbirth LOL!!! I'll have to sit out this season but hopefully baby will be good enough to let me do something next season ;-)

Hey Jeff! Welcome to BT. Do a few sprint tris and at least one Oly distance - the City of Perth in Feb or the Point Walter in March. Both involve disgusting river swims so there's no way around that, the COP course is flat whereas the Pt Walter is hilly. The ATTA also run an 80k time trial close to Busso time so thats good practice for race simulation. Make sure you practice open water swimming. I found the biggest thing that helped my fitness was hitting the Perth hills on my bike every fortnight or so, it was gruelling but my speed on the flat improved heaps, more than I ever would have expected. Do you have a coach or are you part of a club? I found this helped a lot because I had a program to follow and someone to monitor my progress, plus training is a lot more fun if you can do it in a group and enjoy the coffee afterwards ;-)

Best of luck and I am sure you'll do just fine!!!

2009-10-20 2:08 AM
in reply to: #2452662

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Wooooo - congratulations Magda!!!
Bet you're glad you did Busso this year rather than delay it a year aren't you?

Nigel
2009-10-20 4:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth
hi guys,

I should have written this a while ago so sorry for the delay.

I'm training on my own - actually I'm using intermediate plans on this site to help me and my Garmin 310xt to keep me on track. So far so good. I changed my running style 8 months ago to midfoot strike which has helped me immensly and got me running a 4.00/km pace for 5k. I currently follwing the Total Immersion swimming style and this is also helping me greatly to finish the swim relaxed and ready to ride. Cycling has always been my strength but I invested into a indoor trainer and I've noticed great improvements. I've bought a TT Bike and I just need some decent wheels and I think I'll be set. This week is a sprint tri so I'll let you all know what time I do .. 750/20/5. I'm hoping to see some improvement from my Point Walter Tri last year which was a 400/20/5.

I'm definitely doing the half IM next year and will do a couple of sprints and an olympic also. I am really consider doingthe Geelong HIM as a lead up to Busso but I'll let you guys know if I commit to that.

Thanks for all your replies. Hope we all reach our goals in 2009/2010.
2009-10-23 12:35 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Hi Jeff

OOh so jealous you have the Garmin - it's top of my Christmas list, how do you like it and is it easy to use?  I need to try one on though as I have really skinny wrists and think it may just be too much.  This post is full of questions.  How difficult was it to change your running style and how did you go about it?

Good luck for Sunday, if you post your number when you get it on Saturday, I'll look out for you and give you a big cheer.  So, if you hear a Scottish chick screaming "Go Jeff", don't be freaked, it'll be me Smile  I'll be with the Stadium Tri Club tent and trailer cheering on athletes from the club, probably trying to keep cool - there's a max of 31 forecast and we're all in black!!!   Hope you have a great race and look forward to your report.

2009-10-25 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth
I really like like the Garmin - highly recommend it! You do get stopped and asked about what is it and how 'big' is it. The ability to programme your scheduled training into it is a bonus and it's like having a personal coach telling you that your going too fast or slow or your heart rate is too high etc... The virtual partner is just like having someone better than you too race also. I'm starting to sound like a bit of a loner I changed my running style from heel strike to midfoot strike. It's helped me go from a 5.20/km pace to a 4.10/km pace for 5km. I did this by first changing my shoes to Newtons (which I love) they have helped to promote a forefoot strike and then by reducing my distance and following the POSE method of running. It took some time and pain (my calves were killing me for the first 2 months) but it was worth it in the end, I cannot think of a better running style. I finished yesterday in 1hr16min. I am happy with that. 11th for my age group. My swim time was my weakness with 5 min difference between me and the first out of the water, bike and run were both under 2 min. Very happy with my run and bike so it's great to know that I have only swimming to really work hard on unlike last year when it was all three!Hope you didnt get too burnt yesterday!
2009-10-26 2:16 AM
in reply to: #2478565

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
From somebody who's 'only' got a Garmin 205, I love it.  It's the one thing that can motivate me, as otherwise I'm lazy!
Interested in this POSE running, as I'm a 5:00 - 5:30 min/k runner depending on distance, and would love to go quicker, but I can't think how I can get there!  Any tips????

Congrats on your result at the weekend, great start to the season!

Nigel
2009-10-31 2:54 AM
in reply to: #2468141

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

nigelw - 2009-10-20 5:08 PM Wooooo - congratulations Magda!!!
Bet you're glad you did Busso this year rather than delay it a year aren't you?

Nigel

Actually, I planned it this way! I knew I couldn't keep putting off kids (I just turned 30 a few weeks ago) but I really wanted to finish a HIM first, because I knew that once I had kids I may not have the time to train for something like that for a long time, especially when the kids are young :-)

2009-11-03 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2479034

User image

Veteran
Perth
Hi Nigel , The Pose method is basically a land,lever,lift method of forefoot or mid-foot strike running. There are plenty of articles about it on the net. I was much like you and could not go under 5 min / km. I slowed myself down to re-train myself on this technique and after 6 grueling months of sore calves etc I am now running pain free and fast! I would definitely recommend getting a pair of mid-foot strike shoes like Newtons or Zoots or Saucony. All these brands will have a shoe that will cater for you. Give it a try and also work on getting your footspeed up to 180 strides per minute. I did this using my iphone and a metronome application that sent 180 BPM beat through my headphones and all I had to do was to run to it (boring!). Sounds easy but it was quite difficult to get your feet moving that quick when you previously didnt. i don't use the headphones anymore as my running has adjusted to the pace and cadence now. Would love to say hello to all you guys at the next triathlon so give me a shout if your doing the Power Station or Left Bank this month. My mobile is 0403301806.
2009-11-09 1:42 AM
in reply to: #2494771

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Hi Jeff
Thanks for that - I'll definitely do some research on this.
Now it's getting warmer again, I'll probably have to slow down a bit anyway, so will be a good time to try and re-learn how to run.
Trip to Runners World or Total Triathlon coming up then to look at new runners..... mine will need replacing in a few months anyway

2009-12-21 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2504218

User image

Perth, WA
nigelw - 2009-11-08 4:42 PM Hi Jeff
Thanks for that - I'll definitely do some research on this.
Now it's getting warmer again, I'll probably have to slow down a bit anyway, so will be a good time to try and re-learn how to run.
Trip to Runners World or Total Triathlon coming up then to look at new runners..... mine will need replacing in a few months anyway

Newtons are ok but not for everyone, be sure whatever shoes you get are designed for your feet and your style of running.

A good way to increase your speed, especially if you have a Garmin is to program some Hills and also some tempo runs in your program. Guaranteed to get results providing you have a good base.
New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Western Australia » Which Triathlons are you doing this season? Rss Feed