Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » First sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-16 12:07 AM

Subject: First sprint

I am a newbie and entered first sprint in Innisfail in September.

Glad to find this site since I live in rural area. Would be really nice if I can train with others.

2012-07-20 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4312957

User image

East of the Rockies
Subject: RE: First sprint

I hear ya! I am doing my first Sprint Triathlon this August in Calgary, Lake Chaparral. I am already nervous! haha I live in Didsbury and have been training on my own since Dec. 2011. It would be nice to have somebody to train with and swap notes from time to time. Training has gone fairly well my run has really improved and so has my swim but when I started I was lucky if I could do 12 lengths. So although it is my most improved discipline it is still my worst in regards to time. Good luck, hope it goes will for you!

2012-07-22 10:35 PM
in reply to: #4322483

Hi hwkirby,

Lake Chaparral is open swim, isn't it? You are so brave...

I live east of Balzac and have been training on my own as well. If I liked Triathlon this time,

I will train a bit more seriously this winter. What is secrets for winter training? 

Good luck on your race!

2012-07-22 10:52 PM
in reply to: #4324722

User image

East of the Rockies
Brave?! I don't know about that but I will give a shot none the less!Laughing This past winter I trained at Genesis Place in Airdrie, it is a nice facility. It has an indoor track, pool and everything else a gym would have. (treadmill, ellipticals etc.) I train first thing in the morning as I find after getting home from work that the distractions are many! They offer spin classes as well and I hope to be able to take advantage of those next year. I may also get some personal coaching on my swim if I plateau. I am doing everything on my own as I mentioned and may need a little boost to help things along. Discipline is the biggest factor IMO! If you can stay disciplined that is a big hurdle to get over! Not just training either but eating healthy as well. I have a terrible sweet tooth and have trouble keeping my hand out of the cookie jar if you know what I mean. I am doing pretty good but still binge occasionally!Tongue out
2012-07-25 12:08 AM
in reply to: #4324745

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I hope you are training outside now, if you are training strictly inside for cycling and running you are in for a shock. Chapparel is a decent race by you will be on course with Oly athletes as well, you will be in lose proximity to lots of other athletes so'dont freak out. FYI to all newbs:Read the Triathlon Canada rules - especially blocking, passing and drafting. Wetsuit cutoff temp is 22 degrees, they might let that slide in the sprint but the Oly is provincials and the lakes are warm this year. If they say wetsuits are not allowed you will be not allowed to start if you show up at the start in one. Wetsuits are intended to prevent hypothermia.
2012-07-25 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

A couple of things that may help you are joining a mentorship group in the forum when it starts up again in the fall I think. All the summer are full right now. You can usually get a lot of information and accountability from these. Also try log your workouts on this site as it helps when you look at your calendar and you see empty spaces all over you know you are not pulling your weight. 

Good luck!

2012-07-31 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4329110

User image

East of the Rockies

simpsonbo - 2012-07-24 11:08 PM I hope you are training outside now, if you are training strictly inside for cycling and running you are in for a shock. Chapparel is a decent race by you will be on course with Oly athletes as well, you will be in lose proximity to lots of other athletes so'dont freak out. FYI to all newbs:Read the Triathlon Canada rules - especially blocking, passing and drafting. Wetsuit cutoff temp is 22 degrees, they might let that slide in the sprint but the Oly is provincials and the lakes are warm this year. If they say wetsuits are not allowed you will be not allowed to start if you show up at the start in one. Wetsuits are intended to prevent hypothermia.

Training oustide now for a few months now! The indoor track is great in the winter but pretty boring as well! So when do we find out about the wetsuits? When we check in the morning of the race? Thanks for heads up about the rules! I knew there were rules about drafting on the bike but that was about it. So I will definitely give them a read!

I practiced a couple of bricks these past couple of weeks! I am so glad I did, they are tougher than I would have thought. Both were just the bike/run. I did a partial two weeks ago 12 km bike and 4.25 km run to get the feel of the transition, and then yesterday did a full 20 km bike and 5 km run. The heat was brutal and literally knocked the wind out of me. I am so glad now that I decided to just do a sprint as the OLY would have been totally brutal, I probably would have stroked out!!

2012-07-31 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4339749

User image

Veteran
Great White North
The officials/technical delegate will check it on the morning of the race. Most races will fudge the numbers to allow suits but this year its been warm and wetsuits can cause athletes to overheat. Trev (the race director) sent out the email about preswimming the course starting tomorrow. I suggest you swim there in a wetsuit and without. The water is not too cold at all, they held 5k open water there on Monday as a part of age group swim nationals... Race DaySunday, August 12th (Olympic, Sprint, & Tri It Athletes) 6:00am - 7:30am Late package pickup, bike check, timing chip issued, Check In, and body marking ***ALL ATHLETES MUST CHECK IN PRIOR TO 7:30AM (REGARDLESS OF DISTANCE)*** 7:45am Pre-race briefing (FOR ALL ATHLETES) at the dock area 8:00am Olympic Triathlon (ALL Women) START 9:00am Olympic Triathlon (ALL Men & Relay Teams) START 10:00am Sprint Distance (ALL athletes) STARTYou will be sharing the bike with the OLY men, some of the faster guys will be off the bike by the time you are coming out of the lake, and most women will be on the run since they start an hour ahead. Read the rules like I suggested, but keep right unless you are passing someone (on the bike). Riding side by side is blocking, experianced athletes will yell at you if you do this, the may also yell "left" or "on your left" this means they are passing you on he left and you are not far enough to the right side of the road. Don't worry about distance snobbery! I can't stand distance snobs, if I had a dime for every time someone said I'm not a real triathlete because I havent raced an iron an I could buy us both a lunch. Don't assume those that race longer are faster, plenty of us 30+ folks race sprint/oly/70.3 due to family concerns.
2012-08-01 2:29 PM

User image

East of the Rockies

Read the regs and so should be okay. I am not going there to compete but don't want to get in the way of those who are either! Going to try and make it Saturday and check out the water. I am renting my wetsuit this time and will be picking it up next Tues. so I will give the water a try first without and then next week, early, in the wetsuit. I guess I'll try out my "one piecer/Zoot suit"! I am 48 years old and I must say I feel a little creepy wearing it! haha The only thing that gives me some peace is that others will be wearing them race day! For thank goodness!! LOL! Thanks for the info!

Howard

2012-08-08 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4322483

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Swam twice without my wetsuit, the water is super nice. With the rain this week it will probably remain wetsuit legal.
2012-08-09 12:48 PM

User image

East of the Rockies
Well we may not be able to wear the wetsuit after all!! The email I received today said the water was 24 degrees. The next couple of days are to be cooler so it will be a toss up come Sunday as to what will happen. I swam there yesterday after work and I must say the wetsuit made me feel a little anxious although it is sure makes you more bouyant. I found it restrictive around the chest and neck and made breathing a little tougher. So I am wondering what the lesser of two evils is breathing or bouyancy! I met a guy online here that showed me the course layout on Saturday which was awesome. So we did a little mini Tri. I am going to swim again tomorrow after work and I hope they have the larger bouys out so I can get a look at them. Sighting off of the little "swim area" bouys is difficult to do!

2012-08-09 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4355303

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I usually do the perimeter 1-3 x. Sighting at chap depends on the sun.
2012-08-09 11:39 PM

Good luck all. I also read with keenness that it also depends on the air temperature so even though it was 24, the temperature on Sunday morning should be reduced accordingly to allow for the cool weather. I hope so, they can take all the bouyancy out I just don't want to freeze!
2012-08-10 1:05 AM
in reply to: #4356317

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Air temp would have to be really cool for that to be an issue. Nothing in the forecast like that right now. (Under 10c). Think about the liability of ignoring a rule and that causes a death ( ie overheating then heart attack or passing out and then drowning as a result). Contrast that with a drowning of someone who just couldn't swim. Which situation would cause more legal problems? A death caused by the rd ignoring the rules or a fool who didn't belong?
2012-08-10 8:46 AM

I agree. Air temperature of 10 could be great for me to choose to keep my wetsuit on and stay warm then according to the rules and the delegate's final decision.
2012-08-10 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4356667

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Be ready either way.

2012-08-12 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4355303

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Hope all went ok. I won the overall olympic with a PR for the course.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » First sprint Rss Feed