General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5K PR during training brick? Huh? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-19 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: 5K PR during training brick? Huh?

I did a brick today with a 15 mile bike (not terribly fast- just over 15 MPH, but doing intervals where I rode fast(ish) for 2 miles, then took it easy), then planned an easy 3 mile run.  I did a tri last month, and my legs felt like lead after the bike, so I've been trying to add a brick a week to get in better shape.  I did a quick transition (3-4 minutes), and then started running.  My legs felt tired but I was able to clop along, and the music was good, and next thing I knew I was flying back to my car, with a 5K PR of 26:12!  WTF??? I think the first lesson is that I should back off on the last mile of the bike.  But I have a few other questions:

1)  Why on earth would I go faster after 15 miles of biking than I do on fresh legs?

2)  Should I be warming up more before my 5K races?

3)  Was going that fast during a training run stupid (my heart rate monitor was conveniently forgotten at home)?

4) How do I make it happen again on race day ?

Thanks to anyone who might have ideas!

2008-08-19 7:16 PM
in reply to: #1614775

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
Subject: RE: 5K PR during training brick? Huh?
I have the same thing. If you keep your cadence high on the bike, gong off the bike to the run, your cadence will still be quite high. It could happen on race day!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5K PR during training brick? Huh? Rss Feed