General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Base Volume Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-25 10:55 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane WA
Subject: Sprint Base Volume
I just finished my first tri and I'm already planning next year's season. I really liked the 13 week springt plan, but it really only got me to the point of being able to cover the distance. I really want to be able to compete well next year.

My general plan for the season is to do 3-4 sprint distance tris, a 12k run (gotta do Bloomsday!) and 1-2 open water swims (call me crazy but I love 'em!).

So here are my questions:

• How much volume should I plan to work up to in each discipline?

• Should I just build volume for the first year or should I do 12 weeks each of base/build/peak?

• How do you approach a race season, do you build for the first race and then peak/maintain for the rest of the season?

• How do you mix tris and single sports events, just train for the tris and let the other stuff fall where it may?

I know to not increase my volume by more then 10% a week, and to put a rest week in every 4 weeks or so. any other advice I should heed?

Geoff

2008-08-25 11:25 PM
in reply to: #1627950

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Sprint Base Volume
know that each person will be a bit diff, so take this for what its worth.

i start training some again about a month after my last race of the year, just a maintain level. around new years i start my base building, 20-40 min runs, 1-1 and a half hour rides, 2-3k swims, jsut getting in a consistant base of work, slowly upping distances until the end of feb. i'll slowly start adding in tempo and then speed work as the frist race gets closer (mid april).

my largest volume months are: march leading up to the first few races, end of may/start of june getting into the big summer races, and aug building up for my last big race of the year (last year powerman ohio, this year beaches2battleship full IM).

after my base phase i go through two more build/peak/taper cycles during the year after my two big months.

my normal training weeks during the season look like:
14-20k swimming
150-250 miles riding
18-30 miles running

this is with a focus on sprints. i am trying to go pro next season and will need to be doing more than this, so to each his own on training amounts.

it really will come down to how fast you want to go and how much time you have
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Base Volume Rss Feed