Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Heart of the Rockies Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-18 8:39 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: Heart of the Rockies
Hello fellow Alberta BT'ers.....

Anyone out there done the Heart of the Rockies in Invermere before? Any feedback on it? Difficult? Planning on doing it?
 I posted this in the BC forum, but really its so closer to us that those Vcr folks.

2010-01-15 10:48 PM
in reply to: #2226201

User image

New user

Lethbridge
Subject: RE: Heart of the Rockies
I did this race last year and it was good. The swim was I lap (750 out, 750 back) on an okay beach. Not sand, but not big chunky rocks. The transition area is located just off the beach (short run, enough to get the top 1/2 of your wetsuit off) and well laid out. Not too many racks and enough room to have your stuff laid out. I would recommend driving (or riding) the bike course before the race. I didn't and there are a lot more rollers then I expected. I expected the big hill right out of transition, but there's no real flat section to get into a rhythm on. Coming back into transition is downhill so you get a nice break coming in. Exiting the transition area for the run is the opposite direction as the ride so little/no congestion there, and it keeps it fair for people racking their bikes at opposite sides of the transition areas. The run course is much like the bike course, big hill early, lots of rollers, and big downhill coming home.
Post rest refreshments were good, and overall organization was also good. One goofy thing was the timing...in the age of timing ships, these guys gave you a velcro bracelet prior to the the swim start. When you came in from the swim, you tore off a velcro tab and passed it to a volunteer, then when you left on the run you did the same thing, and when you came in from the run they tore off the bottom part of the race number (the part that says do not remove!). There is a big timing clock at the finish line, and that time matched my final reported time, but I can't comment on the legitimacy of the splits.
If I was in the area in July I would do the race again. Good organizational team that seems dedicated to making the event better every year. Good race.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Heart of the Rockies Rss Feed