General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer HR vs Outside HR Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-01 9:55 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Subject: Trainer HR vs Outside HR
I broke both of my wrists in a crash during my last triathlon, so I'm confined to the trainer (a Kinetic Road Machine) for a few weeks.  I'm using my tri-bike on it, which is the same bike I've been riding all summer.

I have noticed that, for a given RPE, my HR on the trainer is notably lower (about 12 to 17 bpm) than I typically see for a similar RPE riding outside.  For example, when riding outside, I can usually hold 155 bpm for an extended period fairly easily.  On the trainer, I have to push MUCH harder to get to HR=155, and I cannot hold it nearly as long.  I've tried this on different days with similar results.

Anyone know the reason for this?  Should I just be training by RPE and ignore the HR?  Or should I be pushing harder to get the same HR?

2009-08-05 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2321890

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Trainer HR vs Outside HR
use both indicators in conjunction with each other and not one or the other. 15-17 bpm is quite significant. power, HR, RPE are all things that should be used IN CONJUNCTION with each other to manage training...they are most useful when used this way.

there could be bike handling issues that you have that could be causing higher HR outside than inside where you don't have to "manage" your bike upright, but rather just pedal. however, again, 15-17bpm is significant so this may not be the magic answer you were looking for.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer HR vs Outside HR Rss Feed