General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Training While Traveling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-26 9:28 PM

User image

Regular
Lancaster County, PA
Subject: HIM Training While Traveling
I am sure that this is not a unique situation to my fellow BT'ers, so I'm asking for a bit of advice.

The background: I signed up in January for the Savageman HIM. Technically, it's not my first (I completed a sprint 5 years ago and had not trained a lick since) yet it really is. As you can see from my training log, I've put in a lot of training time and felt that I was almost prepared. Here's where it is getting tricky. I travel for work. A lot. Almost 50 % of the year. This year I didn't leave until just last week so my training was spot on. Now I'm in the field and I am having tremendous difficulty getting the workouts in.

More background: My job is labor/time intensive. It's awesome, though when in the field expect to work from 6 AM until 7, 8, 9 PM before grabbing supper and spending 1-3 hours writing reports. It's all restaurant or fast food (though I do try to keep some fruits and clif bars with me at all times) and 8 hours of sleep (my usual minimum) is a pipe-dream. The locations I work in can be described as "2 shacks north of nowhere" which usually means gravel roads (not too great for working on the bike) and no swimming pools (currently that would be rivers full of alligators). Oh, and the trips are no less than 4 weeks long. Ever.

The question: How do others train for these longer endurance races while away from the structure we've all built around our training at home? I am willing to try just about anything. At this point my confidence in completing my goal race is hovering around nil.

Many thanks in advance. And all my best for your race season!

2009-08-27 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2373099

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: HIM Training While Traveling
Where there's a will, there's a way.

If the goal is really important to you, you'll find some way to get the training in.

Running is something you can do anywhere.....and you can always take a trainer with you and get some biking in....maybe you can multi-task and get some of your reporting done while on the trainer?

Seems like swimming will be your biggest challenge....can you focus on swimming in the odd weeks that you DO have a pool? It won't be the most consistent or best training style, but if you can work in the hours, I think you can get around the travel challenges.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Training While Traveling Rss Feed