Sierra Multisport Productions
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 33s
Overall Rank = 5/93
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Discover I have a flat rear tire as I pack the car. Throw a couple tubes in the bag and drive 250 miles to Shaver Lake. Get into my cabin and start to change the tire. Spend 15 minutes trying to get the tire off the rim and then notice that the rim tape says it's for a Tubular tire. Do I have a tubular tire? I didn't think so, but that may be why I can't get the tire off the rim. Panic, then head to the race site and find the race director setting up. He draws me a map to the nearest bike shop (1 hour down the mountain). Go to the shop and watch as the mechanic pulls of the tire in about 0.000045 seconds. It's not a tubular after all. I am a HUGE idiot!!! Drive back up the mountain and have my pre-race meal with my tail between my legs. Do lots of stretching, drinking water as I watch American Flyers for the 275th time.

Wake up, eat breakfast of milk and a banana, go to site 1 hour before start.
Event warmup:

Lots of stretching, listening to the iPod, and a few dozen meters in the water.
Swim
  • 07m 31s
  • 366 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Came out of the water in good shape. Altitude was bothering me a bit and I didn't feel fast in the water, but I kept passing people. Had a bit of physical contact after the 2nd bouy with three different people. Never really settled in to a good rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

Forgot to push hard over the final 100. Should have pushed harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Was winded and needed to center myself for a few seconds -- it was really cold in the shade with a wet body. My suit came off like it was on wheels, which was awesome. The rest of my transition went OK, but not especially fast. I did come out of the transition in 4th place overall, so I didn't do so bad, I guess.

Put shirt and HRM on quicker.
Bike
  • 35m 53s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Remember that new tire that I got last night? Well, somewhere around mile 7 it decides to go 50% flat on me. Suddenly, every bump in the road shoots through my body. You know how when you're climbing a hill you sometimes think you have a flat because everything feels so sluggish? Well, for the first time in the history of history I actually had a flat. It's holding some air, enough that I'm not going to ruin the rim, so I decided to limp on home. The final stretch on the highway is a 1/2 mile straight downhill. I was looking forward to it, but now I have to ride it carefully with lots of drag. Because of the flat, the two people I had in my sights disappear around the corner (damnit!).

The course was longer than last year, but still short of the 12 miles reported.

Not have a flat. Also, I could have pushed harder in general. Lungs were feeling fine, legs were fine, and I would have liked the extra heat generated from the effort.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Was still VERY cold. Hands weren't working right, so it took a bit longer to get my socks and shoes on. Left T2 still in 4th place overall.

I think it's time to train myself how to run without socks. Need to condition the feet to accept it.
Run
  • 23m 24s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt much better on the run this year (no puking!). Was determined to not get passed on the run. About 3/4 mile out, I trip over a root and go down. Only put my hands on the ground and kept going without losing really any time or momentum. Plus, it was back in the woods where nobody saw it. It never happened.

This year, the run course spent more time on the trails, including a very steep little hill around mile 1.25. Was a nice extra challenge.

Mile 2 comes and goes and I see the leaders coming around. I'm only a few minutes back from 2nd place, probably less than 3 minutes. Not bad!

What's that? Footsteps? I'm hearing them come at me like crazy. Don't look back. I said, don't look back. Damnit, you looked back. You don't need to look back anymore because he's now in front of you.

1/2 mile to go and we're running together. He's got 10 years on me but is running with pure determination. Turns out he flatted too... even had to change the tire in T1. He had a chance to win this thing and is now running pissed. I don't want him to pass me so we fight up the last hill. I surge. He doesn't notice and keeps pushing. On the final 300 yards of straight downhill, he flies faster than I can. He finishes 2 seconds ahead of me.

I feel OK about my run even though I got passed. Didn't push hard enough on the trails over the first half. Was afraid of bonking. Should have redlined much earlier (never really went anaerobic, which is silly). Let my mind wander a bit when I was alone in the trees. Was still cold and still focused on the flat tire. I guarantee I could have passed one or two guys ahead of me if I wasn't so far back.

Oh yeah, and my HRM slipped off my chest as I entered the woods. I should have tightened it before the race due to the extra jostling of running on the trails.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, drinking some Gu2O, eating some beef jerky that was in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flat on the bike, mental state after the flat on the bike

Event comments:

There were more volunteers this year, including one stationed at the tricky spot where everyone got off course last year. I didn't see any mile markers on the run this time. Would have been nice to know where I was. This race is a lot of fun. Altitude adds some interest. Lake is beautiful. Riding through the pines and ferns is great. Trail running is always interesting.

My time was slower this year than last, but the result was the same: 1st place in my age group, 5th place overall. The course was longer this year at every stage and the competition was better, so I feel better about everyting all things considered. I had a goal of 3rd place overall and I missed it by 2 minutes. Without the flat, I could have been less than 1 minute back. I could have pushed harder on the run to get that minute.

Overall HR data:
Under Zone: 6:21
In Zone: 54:48
Above Zone: 0:01
Average: 148

Field was a bit stronger this year.

Last updated: 2005-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:31 | 366 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 12/93
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Ventilator Long John
Course: Start in the water, head out 75 yards then turn right and follow shore for 150+ yards, then come back on a diagonal toward start and in. Last year the course was a bit shorter and laid out differently. I am positive that this was longer than the 400 yards, just like I was positive last year that it was shorter than reported.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:42
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:53 | 12 miles | 20.07 mile/hr
Overall: 4/93
Performance: Below average
Max speed: 36.3 Average speed: 17.6 Actual Distance: 10.75 Average HR: 146 Max HR: 148 Min HR: 140 Hills: 147 Flats: 145
Wind: None
Course: Leave parking lot uphill to campground exit, to highway uphill and over rolling hills to a local street and up rolling hills to turnaround spot. Went about 1.25 miles further this year than last year's turnaround spot.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:24 | 03 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Overall: 5/93
Average: 152 Max: 162 Min: 148 Mile 1: 150 Mile 2: 151 Mile 3: 153
Course: 1.5 miles of rolling trail running with 1.5 miles of running through the campground. Course this year was a bit longer than last. Probably 3.1 miles, where last year it was less than 3.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-27 1:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-09-28 10:33 AM
in reply to: #254519

Elite
Subject: RE: Shaver Lake Triathlon

Congrats on your finish time.  I'm surprised your tire didn't blow...must have been your day.  And congrats on not puking...that's always good.

-Michael

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shaver Lake Triathlon Rss Feed