General Discussion Race Reports! » Resolution\Energade Triathlon - Pretoria Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Resolution\Energade Triathlon - Pretoria - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pretoria, Gauteng
South Africa
TSA
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 55s
Overall Rank = 796/979
Age Group = Open Female
Age Group Rank = 157/208
Pre-race routine:

We drove for 1hr to the place. We wanted to leave at 6:00 but only manage to leave at 6:25, that was after we had to trun around for my water bottle. What would I have doen with out it?!? Had meausli with milk and honey for breakfast. My usual breakfast with added honey.
Event warmup:

Nah, swam 20m just to feel the water temp and stretched my calves and arms.
Swim
  • 17m 55s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt very good for not being last in the swim. Had no-one swim over me, but I did get pushed and shoved some people. But the greatest was the fact that I actually over took some people, that doesn't happen very often ;-) It felt great getting out of the water and there is still people behind me in the water.
Was weird that the guys started 10min after the girls. But only 10 or so guys passed me in the dam. The water was very dirty though. The green and the smell doesn't wash off very easily.
What would you do differently?:

Practise more, and focus on bilateral breathing when the sun is in my face. Close my eyes when I swim, so that I can look down. The head position never really came about. I want to get myself goggles with which I can actually see. Swiming without glasses is still hard.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

No real idea of what the time was, but sure glad I took my shirt with. The sun would have killed me. My bike position in the T-area was great, did not struggle to find it.

Freeze my water bottle the night before so that the water can still be cool when I get on the bike. Taste the goo before hte time ;-)
Bike
  • 46m
  • 20 kms
  • 26.09 km/hr
Comments:

Sad that we did not get these time splits. But I did love the ride. It is amazing how the faster groups just pull the slower riders together. Even when you cannot stay with them they cause a definitife rise in speed. Every time that I decided to join the group the wind would blow in gusts and push me back so that I could not reach their speed. The goo that I downed on 2km helped alot. The swim tire me very easily.

Practice more group riding and practice more biking. Get a viser for the sun.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I ran with the same shoes that I rode with (Got toe clips and not clipless) But after the swam I did not put socks on. I lend my cap to my husband who was cheering me, but he was not able to give it back for the run where I needed it.

Leave my hat with my stuff. Put socks on after the ride. Running with blisters is no fun. Do not lend my cap to my husband. Make sure he has his own. Stretch out a little.
Run
  • 37m
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 24s  min/km
Comments:

It was very hot at this stage. My calves cramped when I started to run. I did not have a hat, so I bound the t-shirt over my head to keep the sun off my head and neck. It worked, but not as good. They ran out of water on my way back, so I had no water at the 3km , but by then it didn't mater. All I wanted to do was finish!!! And the poor people that was still behinnd me.

Take my own hat. Stretch my calves. Do more bricks in preperation. Did I mention that I would not lend my hat to my husband, or at least make sure he has his own. Next time, I would not be bothered as much by such details. I mean I still love him and wasn't even angry for 1 minute when we where together, but the whole road I was angry. So next time, more focus.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing, layed in sun and visited friends. Took a shower and eat a nice hot meal with pudding in the end. Was very tired and got an early night in bed. The next day I did a 500m swim just for recovery. The tirednedd si still bad (the next day) but no head aches.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of ecercise? Or maybe it was more a lack of determination and experience.

Event comments:

I loved the whole experience. From the getting pushed around in the water, to the getting draged around on the bike drafts, to missing my hat and water on the run leg. I loved the whole experince. Maybe I will do it agin, in 3 weeks?

Last updated: 2005-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:55 | 600 meters | 02m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/208
Overall: 0/979
Performance: Good
Not sure of my exact time, but that is what my watch had. There is no splits in the official results.
Suit: No wetsuite
Course: Semi cicular around three bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:00 | 20 kms | 26.09 km/hr
Performance: Good
None
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Down hill, up hill,straight, up hill, down hill 180 deg turn Up hill, down hill, straight, down hill, up hill (pass the starting point appr 10 km) Mayor up hill, mayor down hill, small winding road off the main road, then back to main road again, with mayor up hill followed by mayor down hill (got 45km/h even through a very strong head wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:00 | 05 kms | 07m 24s  min/km
Performance: Below average
None
Course: Realitve flat with some up hill in the beginning and some down hill at the end.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-03 10:35 AM

User image

Pretoria, South Africa
Subject: Resolution\Energade Triathlon - Pretoria

2005-10-04 1:56 AM
in reply to: #258226

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Subject: RE: Resolution\Energade Triathlon - Pretoria
It sounds like your first triathlon was a really great race.  I knew you'd love it!  Many congrats to you.  Great lessons learned.  Coming back for more in 3 weeks?  That's awesome.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Resolution\Energade Triathlon - Pretoria Rss Feed