McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
Total Time = 1h 46m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 29/34
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed around 10 or 10:30..I was actually able to sleep. I woke up around 4:45, ate a Cliff bar and had a Gatorade...got to the race around 5:45 and started setting up my transition. I wore my jersey and HR monitor during the swim so the transistion set up was easy. Bike racks were organized by number so it was really easy to find them during the race.
Event warmup:

I did some light stretching and jogging. I should have done more stretching for sure. Some people got in the water before the race began and I really wish I would have as well.
Swim
  • 21m 18s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

OK..I did a little bit of open water swimming before this race, but not enough. I didn't have the horror stories of some, but I never got my breathing on track the whole time. I also had a really tough time with sight...I was all over the place...at one point I was swimming completely sideways!! I basically thew my training out the window and just "survived" the swim...as my time will show. I am proud of the fact that I basically went from "scared of the water" to swimming 750m in murky water with a lot of people around in less than 4 months.
What would you do differently?:

I need to spend a lot of time in open water before my next race. My stroke is not good so I need to take many more lessons.
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

This transition was tricky due to the long run b/w the swim and T1...a downhill slope on slick grass could have been worse than it was....the people cheering during the run from the water to the transition was awesome. It really gave me a high that I fed off of for the rest of the race.

Not much..it didn't take long and it was smooth.
Bike
  • 45m 55s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I did about as I expected on the bike....I figured I would be around 16 mph and I was at 16.2 mph. The course was hilly, but not too bad...I never felt like I could get going b/c we were constantly making u-turns. I dropped my water bottle about half way through so I was "waterless" for the last half of the bike.

I just need to spend more time in the saddle. I went from not biking more than 10 miles in a given year to biking hundreds of miles over the last 3.5 months. I don't think I pushed it hard enough on the hills..I left too much in the tank...more miles should help.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This was simple, but I grabbed a drink of a Gatorade since I dropped my water bottle on the bike. Don't know my time due to chip malfunction.

Not much.
Run
  • 36m
  • 3.5 miles
  • 10m  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't feel real good on the beginning of my run. It was a struggle to get comfortable running, but it felt good after the first mile. I was figuring a 10 minute mile pace, but mile 1 was around 9min 30 sec. The 2nd mile actually became the next 1.4 miles...a volunteer messed up and sent us into a neighborhood instead of going straight. Oh well, there were families in front of their houses cheering and kids running with us. I caught up with a young guy that wanted to run with me b/c he said it helped his pace...it felt real good when he told me he couldn't keep up and had to drop back. I knew something was wrong when it had been 12 minutes and I hadn't seen the other water station. The last mile felt real good. I had a lot loeft in my legs when I completed...I wish I would have pushed it a little more, but I will know in the future.

Same as the swim and bike...I need to run more. My legs felt really good so I know I can go faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a water and one of those frozen energy bars (of course they were melted by the time I finished!!). I couldn't even think about eating though...I can't ever eat after a big workout.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

SWIM, SWIM, SWIM....I can easily shave 4 minutes off my swim if not more. I definitely trained enough to finish, but I didn't train for speed. I have a ton to work on.

Event comments:

This was a great race. There were lots of friendly people (both volunteers and athletes). I am even more excited about Tri's than I was before the race and I believe this to be a lifelong sport for me. I now have a benchmark in which I can try to improve upon.

Last updated: 2005-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:18 | 820 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: bike shorts
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:55 | 12.43 miles | 16.24 mile/hr
Performance: Average
This time includes my bike and T2 time...I guess my chip didn't work so it calced by T2 time as 45.55....I don't know exactly how to guess so I will just use the overall number.
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35.51:00 | 03.5 miles | 10m  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-03 1:48 PM

Austin, TX
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Short

2005-10-03 2:57 PM
in reply to: #258419

User image

Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Short

Nice race, it sounds like you really enjoyed it.  Having cheering volunteers is cool!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Short Rss Feed